PDA

View Full Version : Showers at Lewis Mtn. Campground

twilight
03-19-2014, 16:52
Is there any costs for the use of the showers at Lewis Mtn. Campground? If so, how much(do I need change)? I will be ending my section hike just south of there and would like to take a shower before the long car ride home.

Twilight

tiptoe
03-19-2014, 17:14
Here's a link to a pdf that will answer to your question and provide more info about the campground, including a map:
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/lewis_mtn_camp_combined.pdf

Don H
03-19-2014, 18:02
You have to feed the machine quarters to get a cold shower. At least that's how it was in 2011.

martinb
03-20-2014, 15:38
Yep, bring quarters. I think was a buck fifty, last time I was there, for two or so minutes of water time.

Marmaduke
04-01-2014, 11:01
Anyone know about how full this campground tends to get early in the year? I'm headed down from the 17th-21st of April, hoping I can swoop up a site. I'll get there early Friday morning.

Coffee
04-01-2014, 12:28
Anyone know about how full this campground tends to get early in the year? I'm headed down from the 17th-21st of April, hoping I can swoop up a site. I'll get there early Friday morning.
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm planning to arrive in the Lewis Mountain area on Friday the 17th in the afternoon and might get a site if available. Otherwise I'll proceed a short distance down the trail. Either way I'll at least go to the camp store and maybe use the shower.

jimmyjam
04-01-2014, 13:06
You will be fine. It fills quickly during leaf-peeper season in the fall. If by the slim chance it is full, the shelter is less than a mile north. Or I have known people who stealth camp after dark along the edge back by the picnic shelters near the front.

Coffee
04-01-2014, 13:47
The 18th is Good Friday and the 20th is Easter. I've never thought of Easter as prime camping season but it is a three day weekend for some people and Lewis Mountain will be the only SNP campground open.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
04-01-2014, 13:59
Since you know your date why don't you just go ahead online and make a reservation at SNP, Lewis Mnt. we hike through their to Front Royal during the government shutdown. unfortunately for us to showers were not available.

Marmaduke
04-07-2014, 10:04
Because the campsites at Lewis Mountain are not able to be reserved, sadly!

Marmaduke
04-07-2014, 10:05
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm planning to arrive in the Lewis Mountain area on Friday the 17th in the afternoon and might get a site if available. Otherwise I'll proceed a short distance down the trail. Either way I'll at least go to the camp store and maybe use the shower.

I'm getting there Friday the 17th as well, really early. I'm staying at a hotel in Front Royal and then hopping onto the drive and getting to the campground as soon as possible........ I'll hold you a site if you hold one for me, lol.

Marmaduke
04-07-2014, 10:08
I'm getting there Friday the 17th as well, really early. I'm staying at a hotel in Front Royal and then hopping onto the drive and getting to the campground as soon as possible........ I'll hold you a site if you hold one for me, lol.

I meant the 18th........ !

QHShowoman
04-07-2014, 11:32
I can't imagine the campground being very full this early in the year. It usually starts to fill up after Memorial Day.

Rain Man
04-07-2014, 14:34
When I was there about 5 or 6 years ago, I had a blissful hot shower. Fifty cents (?) got me about 3-5 minutes, and I kept it going through at least three cycles! LOL

Rain Man

Marmaduke
04-11-2014, 10:49
When I was there about 5 or 6 years ago, I had a blissful hot shower. Fifty cents (?) got me about 3-5 minutes, and I kept it going through at least three cycles! LOL

Rain Man

I'm hoping that these are turned on when I get there next week! If not, I will also survive :)

chiefiepoo
04-11-2014, 11:02
Check on the cabins at Lewis Mtn. campground. Also, there is a hiker bunk house that holds 4 people. I don't know if it can be reserved, but the day I walked in I was able to buy the cabin for a night and took in 2 other hikers who split the cost with me. The cabin has 2 up / down bunks, fire ring, covered patio and electric service.

T-Rx
04-11-2014, 14:38
When I was there a couple of years back the showers were great. Plenty of hot water and I think it was either $1.50 or $2.00 for about 5 minutes worth of hot shower bliss.

Coffee
04-11-2014, 15:18
Check on the cabins at Lewis Mtn. campground. Also, there is a hiker bunk house that holds 4 people. I don't know if it can be reserved, but the day I walked in I was able to buy the cabin for a night and took in 2 other hikers who split the cost with me. The cabin has 2 up / down bunks, fire ring, covered patio and electric service.
Interesting... I cannot find any information online regarding a bunkhouse at Lewis Mountain, only the rarely available $120/night cabins.

johnnybgood
04-11-2014, 18:10
Interesting... I cannot find any information online regarding a bunkhouse at Lewis Mountain, only the rarely available $120/night cabins.

One is reserved solely for hikers on the parks reservation website
Isn't predicated on being a thru hiker either. Any hiker can reserve.

I remember it being moderately cheaper than their cabins.

Marmaduke
04-15-2014, 08:35
Getting close for me....... leaving Thursday the moment I get out of work (1pm) and heading to Front Royal for the night! Can't wait to be in the forest again.

Marmaduke
04-21-2014, 13:51
Made it there Friday at ~930am. Got the only available site.......... a few more became available as people were still checking out....... I got 3 solid days of great hiking on the AT and other trails. I love SNP, but I feel like my next trip will be somewhere with a few less people.

Furlough
04-21-2014, 14:08
The loop trails throughout the SNP are better hiking and less travelled than the AT in SNP. Use the AT as a means of connecting a couple of the loops to extend your hiking mileage. And of course to get access to the waysides, camp stores and restaurants.

jimmyjam
04-22-2014, 20:57
I stealth camped just south of the campground a couple of weekends ago. There are several great sites just a few hundred feet outside of the campground .

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

johnnybgood
04-22-2014, 21:24
Yep, and there's a water spigot at the far end of the campground loop a mere 40 yds from the AT.

Marmaduke
04-25-2014, 09:26
Yep, and there's a water spigot at the far end of the campground loop a mere 40 yds from the AT.

Yeah, my campsite was right next to this spigot...... it has some serious power and blew a nalgene bottle right out of my hand into the pavement..... lol. It bounced right back up though, no cracks.

Coffee
04-29-2014, 21:09
Made it there Friday at ~930am. Got the only available site.......... a few more became available as people were still checking out....... I got 3 solid days of great hiking on the AT and other trails. I love SNP, but I feel like my next trip will be somewhere with a few less people.

I came through that afternoon ... everything was full of course by then, but I had stopped at the Swift Run entrance station to check earlier in the day when it was already full so I had no expectations. I did get to the store and had something to eat. Looked at the shower facility (quite nice) but didn't shower, and then proceeded a short distance and tent camped above Bearfence hut, which was strangely deserted despite everything in the developed facilities in SNP being packed and Bearfence being so close to Skyline Drive!