PDA

View Full Version : Vargo Titanium bottle and vargo firebox grill

takethisbread
03-19-2014, 19:53
I recently acquired via trade these items, here is my impressions:

The Bottle : it's super light a few ounces. holds about 32oz of water. dual use item, which is great as it's a
wonderful cooking pot. water tastes great out of titanium, as opposed to steel and aluminum. expensive $69-$89 each. is a bit difficult to unscrew the too sometimes. def a A+ item and a great dual use pack saver!

the grill: folds up flat so it takes up zero space in pack. weighs about 3-4oz. fire starting in it can be tough, but is usually doable even in wet conditions. on cold wet windy nights I take a esbit to get it going. boils water enough to cook ramen or the like. will never give u jet boil type performance . feed with grass and sticks and bark easy to find on the AT. usually 20 minutes to cook dinner, but very fun. can grill sausages, hot dogs and have made a burger on it. great versatility there. very fun item.
I give it a B grade, because it's probably a C in early cold wet season and a A in dry sunny Summer. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/20/u5eguru9.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/20/zy9ara6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wise Old Owl
03-19-2014, 20:59
Very rare that anyone posts a positive post about Vargo here. Honest there are cottage manufactures that are better - possibly cost savings. Nothing really wrong with Vargo... just not what most folks want.

takethisbread
03-19-2014, 21:37
Very rare that anyone posts a positive post about Vargo here. Honest there are cottage manufactures that are better - possibly cost savings. Nothing really wrong with Vargo... just not what most folks want.

you just did the absurd biolite , which is clearly not for anything but car camping. I don't care about names. a titanium bottle is a titanium bottle. they are all expensive. the item means nothing price wise as a trade for a backpack for me. the stove admittedly does not perform well enough as a stand alone stove for a long hike, but the grill is a nice add on for a alky stove. I haven't seen a workable grill yet for backpacking, and this is no different. as a wood stove, there are many better that grade out as top performers. this does not belong in that category, as it simply not for the same purpose . just like the biolite, is not for backpacking. I have yet to use the firefly , but I didn't see he had a grilling feature. personally if I'm using a traditional stove I'm using a canister 10/10 times , and have used that with this as well, using the canister stove to shoot it's jet heat up through the grill, works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starchild
03-19-2014, 21:54
I have kicked around the concept of their 'bot' (Bottle + Pot in one). I am still unsure how it actually works out. Multi use items are great except when you need both uses out of the same item at the same time, cooking usually requires a pot and a reserve of water for that cooking and afterwords drinking and perhaps cleaning.