PDA

View Full Version : NOC Options

P Puffy Down
03-19-2014, 22:19
When I get to the NOC (Nantahala Outdoor Center) is there somewhere else I can stay for a zero other than the NOC? Another hostel in the area? What are my options? thanks.

HikerMom58
03-19-2014, 23:37
I think someone just recommended Aquone Hostel as a good place to stay that is near the NOC. Anyone else have an opinion here?

Here's someone talking about Aquone Hostel..

http://www.beautybeneaththedirt.com/2012/06/aquone-hiker-hostel-the-newest-appalachian-trail-refreshment/

P Puffy Down
03-20-2014, 00:47
I think someone just recommended Aquone Hostel as a good place to stay that is near the NOC. Anyone else have an opinion here?

Here's someone talking about Aquone Hostel..

http://www.beautybeneaththedirt.com/2012/06/aquone-hiker-hostel-the-newest-appalachian-trail-refreshment/

Thanks HM, I read that's a really nice place. Not sure if they shuttle out of the NOC. I guess I'll just have to call them and find out. I know the Cabin in the Woods is somewhere around there and the Hike INN too but I don't know if they shuttle from the NOC either. I guess I'll just have to call these places.

Osiris
03-20-2014, 01:10
I stayed at the cabin in the woods last year and am returning there in April to start my trek north. They do shuttle to the NOC. The couple that runs it are very nice and the facility's are great. For about $10 more Donna, the owner, will cook you dinner and breakfast and I can say it was some good home style cooking.

daddytwosticks
03-20-2014, 07:17
Not to pry, is there some reason you don't want to stay at the NOC? I've never overnighted there, but have used their facilities extensively. Great place IMHO. :)

blue indian
03-20-2014, 08:15
+1 on a cabin in the woods. Friendly, on time, and priced below the competition.

P Puffy Down
03-20-2014, 08:55
Not to pry, is there some reason you don't want to stay at the NOC? I've never overnighted there, but have used their facilities extensively. Great place IMHO. :)

I didn't really want to get into why but I've read a few recent trailjournal entries recommending not to stay over night there. Here's just one TJ entry. (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=445150)

Trance
03-20-2014, 09:06
I stayed at the Aquone Hostel back in 2013..... great English couple who lives there. The husband drives down Burning town road though like a bat out of hell and had my compatriots holding on for dear life!

The hostel is super nice... although, it can get a bit pricey if you want the extras..... like a $10 Tony's Pizza.

NOC isnt bad.... but it definitely isnt anything special.... if I did it again and was just solo there, I would probably eat there, but not stay there. The bunk houses are hot, stuffy, and dirty. Dont know about the private rooms.

HikerMom58
03-20-2014, 09:26
Hummm... interesting posts and TJ's. It's good to be informed.

Off subject but this "Fresh Grounds" dude seems like a super nice person on the trail. :D

Lone Wolf
03-20-2014, 09:28
hitch to bryson city and get a motel room

colorado_rob
03-20-2014, 09:46
Not trying to talk you IN to the NOC, but that one link you shared seems a little harsh on the NOC cabins. For one, it's not 1/2 mile up a hill, maybe 1/4 mile. Great restaurant on the river, good beer selection in the little store, great place to hang by the river. The rooms seemed decent to me, as good as some or most hostels I stayed at along the way. I don't remember the cost, was it $50 for a room? Perhaps, but four of us shared the cost, so pretty cheap to me. I really have nothing bad to say about staying at the NOC. Nice place to hang for a day IMHO. Why complicate things by hitching or whatever to elsewhere? Unless there is another option right at the NOC, which I suppose is your basic question, of course.

Lone Wolf
03-20-2014, 09:50
I didn't really want to get into why but I've read a few recent trailjournal entries recommending not to stay over night there. Here's just one TJ entry. (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=445150)

there is no half mile walk, 3 flights of stairs to get to a bunkhouse. and $50 for a 10 x 10? doubt it

Lone Wolf
03-20-2014, 09:55
http://www.noc.com/noccom/lodging-a-dining/stay-the-night/hostel-a-camping/

Slo-go'en
03-20-2014, 10:06
RE: The TJ entry:

NOC is built on a hill so the bunk houses are a bit on an up hill walk - but your used to by now, right? And not a 1/2 mile or even a 1/4, more like an 1/8th, but I suppose it can seem like 1/2 mile. But you got one heck of a hill to climb to get out of NOC the next day.

Bunks are $20 + tax, and apparently there were two of them staying there, so that's where the $50 came from. There are 4 bunks to a room so if you show up solo you don't get to pick your room mates, they just fill up the bunks. No worse then your average hostel and you can't beat the convienence of the place.

I was more interested in the dog putting a muddy paw print on the shelter register while someone was trying to sign it. How did that happen?

Lone Wolf
03-20-2014, 10:08
RE: The TJ entry:

NOC is built on a hill so the bunk houses are a bit on an up hill walk - but your used to by now, right? And not a 1/2 mile or even a 1/4, more like an 1/8th, but I suppose it can seem like 1/2 mile. But you got one heck of a hill to climb to get out of NOC the next day.

Bunks are $20 + tax, and apparently there were two of them staying there, so that's where the $50 came from. There are 4 bunks to a room so if you show up solo you don't get to pick your room mates, they just fill up the bunks. No worse then your average hostel and you can't beat the convienence of the place.

I was more interested in the dog putting a muddy paw print on the shelter register while someone was trying to sign it. How did that happen?bunks are $17

WingedMonkey
03-20-2014, 10:12
I was more interested in the dog putting a muddy paw print on the shelter register while someone was trying to sign it. How did that happen?

And folks wonder why we don't wanna sleep with their dogs.

slbirdnerd
03-20-2014, 12:59
there is no half mile walk, 3 flights of stairs to get to a bunkhouse. and $50 for a 10 x 10? doubt it

Plus if you read carefully, it looks like they had a dog (Cooper hogging the bed). I'm assuming the place up-charges for a dog, understandably. I dunno, I tend to not base my choices solely on what other people say when it comes to things like this, especially when the source seems kind of negative in general.

And yes, you can go get a hotel room somewhere. The Microtel in Bryson City is nice, costs about $80. You can spend another $50 on dinner at Pasquelini's Italian in town, very good Italian food, best tiramisu I ever had. This was off trail; if I'm on trail, a meager hostel is still a better break than a wet tent...

RED-DOG
03-20-2014, 13:00
The NOC isn't a really good place for Hikers to stay because they have alot of rowdy partiers " their Rafters " that stay their and they allow their dogs to come inside the hostel and jump on the bunks and plus Hikers get no Respect among the Rafters that stay their in my oppinion the only GOOD thing at the NOC is the Rivers Edge Restuarant " great food ", I would Highly reccomend you stay at either Aquone Hostel and they do shuttle from the NOC or Cabin in the Woods and they also shuttle from the NOC or just skip the NOC altogether and keep Hiking.

Slo-go'en
03-20-2014, 15:07
The NOC isn't a really good place for Hikers to stay because they have alot of rowdy partiers " their Rafters " that stay their and they allow their dogs to come inside the hostel and jump on the bunks and plus Hikers get no Respect among the Rafters that stay their in my oppinion the only GOOD thing at the NOC is the Rivers Edge Restuarant " great food ", I would Highly reccomend you stay at either Aquone Hostel and they do shuttle from the NOC or Cabin in the Woods and they also shuttle from the NOC or just skip the NOC altogether and keep Hiking.

Apparently the rowdy partiers and dog thing applies just as much to hikers, if not more so. First off, when 90% of the thru-hikers are passing through, there are very few rafters or kayakers there. And who brings a dog on a rafting or kayaking trip?

Although I have stayed at the NOC several times in the past, last year I did hike on by. I only stopped long enough to get lunch and resupply, but it was a rare nice day on that trip and didn't want to waste it.

daddytwosticks
03-20-2014, 15:54
What about staying at the shelter right before the NOC going north? Rufus Morgan Shelter? :)

MuddyWaters
03-20-2014, 19:39
The NOC is a great place to eat, hang out, and spend a night. For a real zero needed for rest, Id want a clean bed, TV, and AYCE buffet, not necessarily in that order.