PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Gear OVERLOAD!

CynJ
09-16-2005, 10:06
I am new to backbacking (do alot of day hiking though) and I have been doing a lot of reading on gear and tips et cetera. I think I have gone into gear overload! :eek:

I have my list of what I need - and its pretty basic (matches a lot of the packing lists I have seen) - so my question is: when choosing my gear do I really really need that brand-named xyz (which generally carries a brand-name price tag with it) or will something less expensive do the same job?

For example (keep in mind I am 5"2" so this will work for me size wise) there is a little tent at Walmart http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2041899 for $14.00. I went and checked it out at the store and its really not bad. and if you ditch the cardboard around it and the heavy canvas tote sack it will weigh about 2.5lbs.

Am I nuts to think that this will be good enough for starter tent? I will be hiking/camping for a week or two at a time in the spring and fall.

I have already settled on either making (will try first-I am pretty handy) or buying an alcohol stove. Very ecomonical - fuel wise as well.

I intend to purchase a couple of items of exceptional quality - one being my boots, two being my pack. A decent sleeping bag and pad too - maybe not top of the line but not ecomony.

I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed by the amount of gear out there. And I have visited a couple local outfitters and they all have differing opinions about what is good. lol I'm glad I have read the reviews on backpackgeartest.com

Any thoughts for a thoroughly confused newbie? :confused:

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-16-2005, 10:39
The only thing about that tent is that I would wonder about it's weatherproofness... of course you'll never know unless you try it, and... well... 15$ is dirt cheap to try...

Doctari
09-16-2005, 10:40
You may be nuts, but not for your gear choices :)

I am new to backbacking (do alot of day hiking though) and I have been doing a lot of reading on gear and tips et cetera. I think I have gone into gear overload! :eek:

I have my list of what I need - and its pretty basic (matches a lot of the packing lists I have seen) - so my question is: when choosing my gear do I really really need that brand-named xyz (which generally carries a brand-name price tag with it) or will something less expensive do the same job?

For example (keep in mind I am 5"2" so this will work for me size wise) there is a little tent at Walmart http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2041899 for $14.00. I went and checked it out at the store and its really not bad. and if you ditch the cardboard around it and the heavy canvas tote sack it will weigh about 2.5lbs.

Am I nuts to think that this will be good enough for starter tent? I will be hiking/camping for a week or two at a time in the spring and fall.

I have already settled on either making (will try first-I am pretty handy) or buying an alcohol stove. Very ecomonical - fuel wise as well.

I intend to purchase a couple of items of exceptional quality - one being my boots, two being my pack. A decent sleeping bag and pad too - maybe not top of the line but not ecomony.

I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed by the amount of gear out there. And I have visited a couple local outfitters and they all have differing opinions about what is good. lol I'm glad I have read the reviews on backpackgeartest.com

A friend of mine has a similar model tent, bought at wally world about 7 years ago, It's good for calm weather, looks to me that on a windy rainy day you may get wet. But it was a sturdy tent, and should have ample room for you & gear at a good price. Be sure to seam seal all seams (& let them dry well). Set up in your yard several times, even at night with no light.

You will love using an alcohol stove, so easy & quiet. Again, practice alot at home.

Gear can be confusing. Most of us have gear in storage that we bought with the thought "WOW, I REALLY REALLY NEED THAT!!!!" used it on one trip, & put it away, ususally forever.

Footwear: Many are going to lightweight trail running shoes I believe it's for (mostly) pack loads sub 20 lbs.

You didn't mention what season you will be hiking in, you may be able to go with a less stellar sleeping system, but if going to spend the "big bucks" on one item, go for a great sleeping bag.

Keep a journal every day. Write in it: what your gear was like, what you saw, what you wish you had, what you wish you didn't have.

Mostly: HAVE FUN! You will do OK, with what ever gear you choose as it seems you are giving it all lots of thought.

A good video for beginners is Lynne Weldon's video "how to hike the AT" It shows all the gear choices from the lightweight big $$$ to a guy who "Made do" with Wall Mart & other gear not necisarily designed for hiking, but he did a thru with what he had. He wore work boots from Sears, his ground cover was a painters tarp, I think his tarp (shelter) was also a painters tarp, his "stuff sacks" were bread bags with wire ties, etc.

Doctari.

jimmyjob
09-16-2005, 10:42
i am pretty new myself but have finished purchasing all of my gear for my thru next year. i can definitely sympathize with feeling overwhelmed. i at least 25 - 30 hours in research just for clothes. there are so many things to pay attention to....

i will say that the tent is probably not going do the job..i own a eureka backpacker $60...it has handled a pretty strong wind and really hard rain and performed like a champ...i don't the fabric on that kids tent is going to be strong enough...(that is just my opinion)

as far as the fuel stove i have seen them used and they are definitely the champion of economy, versatility, weight and man can they put off some heat...i current use a pocket rocket but msr it cost about $50(i think..i purchased several months ago) i am thinking about selling it and going to the Pepsi can cooker...

i am not sure what kind of budget you have but between all the gear, clothes and shoes i have about $1000 into my stuff...if have more question just ask...this site is full of great info...

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

CynJ
09-16-2005, 10:47
his "stuff sacks" were bread bags with wire ties, etc.
lol ...I'm not quite that cheap....lmao....but then again....I do reuse my gatorade bottles.

Most of my trips will be spring & fall - I don't tolerate the heat very well and I love the cooler weather. So a decent sleeping bag and pad (won't need a subzero bag) will be in order.

I am just amazed at how much money you can actually spend to "rough it" lol....

I tend to think function, price, quality.

And if my $14 tent only lasts one season - it was only $14 and I will have lived and learned. (my thing about the tent is that I don't want to wake up with a snake - need a tent bottom :D )

Alligator
09-16-2005, 10:47
In general, for tents and sleeping bags, you tend to get what you pay for. I would be hesitant to spend a week in a $14 tent. I would at least want to test it out over the weekend and let it get poured on, and I would seam seal the heck out of it! Think outside the box about the tent too. There are other options. (In about five posts you'll see;) )

But, you can often find decent quality items that are not name brand. Campmor has a lot of cheaper clothing that is pretty good. Campmor has an inexpensive down bag that many folks have given good reviews. What you want to do is scour the web for clearance items.

Try www.sierratradingpost.com (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/)
www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com/)
www.reioutlet.com (http://www.reioutlet.com/)
www.mec.ca (http://www.mec.ca/)
www.backcountrygear.com (http://www.backcountrygear.com/)
northern mountain supply (forget the addy)
Snow leopard mountain sports. Used to have a 35% off first time buyers discount (this may have been credit card related too).

For specific items, ask here first. You won't get a consensus, but you'll probably get a good idea of the pros and cons. Take it all with a grain of salt though, because sometimes folks need to constantly trumpet they're favorite piece of gear, regardless of whether it is germane to the conversation:banana .

12hrsN2AT
09-16-2005, 12:02
Ebay is a wonderful place.
Yesterday I bought a 4 person 4 season Vaude tent that sells for over $100 for $11.50, I bought Earl Shaffers tent from his estate for $10.
My Fanatic Fringe peak on eBay was $30
I purchased a tarptent for $30 with floor!
I bought a Haglof's LIM Ultralight sleeping bag for $20
The list goes on.....
If it was me, I would just look on ebay for a name brand that is weatherproof and cheap.
If you are dead set on a kids tent, get a Coleman Pup tent for kids, they are around $20 and are actual real tents as in waterproof.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Coleman-For-Kids-Pup-Tent_W0QQitemZ5236785593QQcategoryZ36118QQssPageNa meZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just Jeff
09-16-2005, 12:29
I heard of someone here or on Trailforums who thru-hiked with the Walmart kids tent (with the little dinosaur on the front). She (I think) had to sleep diagonally, but it only weighed about 2 lbs.

If you're going to spend money, get a good pack, shelter, bag. I'd go with a hammock, but if you're a ground sleeper check out tarptents.

You said you're pretty handy...look at making your own. You get get an awesome piece of gear for the price of a decent piece of gear, and you can include the options you want and exclude the ones you don't. Quilts are actually pretty easy to make, especially if you use synthetics. You can get the materials from thru-hiker.com for probably $100 depending on size and temp. For a first project, you can probably do a standard quilt in 4 hours or so...the toughest part is getting the nerve up to make the first cuts.

Gear patterns are free on the internet, or get Ray Jardine's books. He may be a little cooky, but many of his ideas are good. Just ignore the other ones.

Two Speed
09-16-2005, 12:50
. . . Keep a journal every day. Write in it: what your gear was like, what you saw, what you wish you had, what you wish you didn't have . . . That's may be some of the best advice going, something that I find very helpful, and probably essential for a section hiker, as I tend to forget things between trips. Don't forget to take note of what you saw, what you learned, who you met, etc. I've never regretted making a note of something in my journals, but I've really hated myself for forgetting a few things.

IMHO a good journal is probably the very best way to accumulate and organize your knowledge about how YOU hike.

Now if I could just take my own advice. :datz

Patrick
09-16-2005, 13:04
+1 on the hammock. I'm a recent convert and my only regret is not finding them sooner. It's a little scary to take the plunge to embrace a very different system of camping, but it's 100% worth it. What got me to finally buy one was a trip where I had to hike for miles longer than I wanted to find a suitable campsite. In the hammock, you can hang anywhere, regardless of slope, undergrowth, rocks, etc. But the advantages are a lot more than that. For me, hammocking has literally no cons and tons of pros. Check out the hammocking forum and you'll quickly find all you need to know about them. Hammocks aren't cheap, but they're not bad either. I recently bought a friend the same one as mine (HH ULB) for $140 on eBay. You can also make them pretty easily. Check out Just Jeff's page, which has a wealth of hammock info.

I also recently made my first quilt. I have experience sewing, but have always been pretty kludgey with it. Sewing the quilt was simple, though. Took me five hours from opening the box to the last stitch. I'm a huge fan of thru-hiker, but it was actually cheaper to buy the kit from Ray Jardine; I think it was under $70 shipped. The plans were nice, but I don't think the quilt would look much different if I hadn't had them. The best thing about them was that the formula for the size was very accurate, so I didn't have to worry about screwing that up. That quilt over me in my hammock, with another homemade one from an old sleeping bag under the hammock provided the best sleep I've ever had in the outdoors.

I agree that for fifteen bucks, almost anything is worth a shot, but if it's day two of a week-long trip and you realize that tent is no good, you're in a jam. At the very least, give it a real workout in your backyard in a storm. I'm guessing it's not going to do too well. It's effectively a single-wall. I'd bet it's not going to be very waterproof, especially anywhere anything on the inside is touching it. Also, it looks to have no ventilation so it seems like condensation will be insane in there.

I hear you about gear overload. I got to a point preparing for a trip this past month where I thought I would be physically ill if I had to set foot in REI one more time. I'm sure the employees there had some awful nickname for me.

My actual trail gear is down to a very small load. When I got back from my trip, I cleaned everything out and repacked it. I was amazed how little there is. Yet I have a HUGE plastic bin in my closet of stuff I don't use. What a great feeling, though, that the next time I decide to take a trip, I'm going to be able to just grab that pack and not need to go on-line or to the store, or to my mom's to borrow her sewing machine. Well, maybe a little...

Whatever you decide to go with, keep us posted. Post pictures, reviews, tips, instructions, whatever. I'm especially curious about the alcohol stove. I'm getting ready to try them out myself.

Oh, I also strongly agree with keeping the journal. I keep a hiking journal every night I'm out and I always include a section on gear. Nothing crazy, just how things are working, if I'm using everything, thoughts on how to improve stuff when I get back home, etc. I find this extremely useful, especially with new things or when there's a problem with something.

Good luck and have fun.

stag3
09-16-2005, 13:05
For CNYJ..

There is a better (IMHO) tent option that I have been pleased with. Look at the Texsport 2 man (gals okay) bivy for about $30 on ebay. This is great for 1, tight for 2 people. The weight with poles and stakes is less than 3 lbs.

I was in some bad storms and stayed dry. However, you MUST seal the seams and the fabric around the door zipper. The first one I had tore--Texsport replaced it, no questions asked.

There is no need to spend big money for a tent. So it only lasts a year--at $30 buy a new one.

Stag

Seeker
09-16-2005, 13:59

Dude!(ette)...

that's exactly my daughter's tent... this is funny...

i used a 6lb ozark trail 3 person dome tent for a few years before i got hit by SGT Rock's laser and saw the hammock light... it worked great for me and my two daughters (ages 5 and 9 at the time. older one no longer goes with me. doesn't like bugs anymore.) so i was looking for a solo tent and figured what the heck... yes, it's cheap. i'm 5-10 and barely fit inside, but it worked for one trip i took for a few days... i got a can of that silicone spray and gave it a good dousing, after seam sealing it (seam sealed first, thought it might not stick otherwise). never had it rain that hard, and don't recall exactly how weatherproof it was, but when i started hammocking, i used it to house my daughter... she's big enough now to carry some of her own stuff, but not the tent... and if she carries a lot, we can't walk as far. so i have to carry it. i'm comfortable that she's safe and dry inside. i made her a hammock, but she didn't like it much (not as roomy as a tent, and the night we tried it was pretty warm and she got too hot and went back in the house to sleep).

so for what it's worth, i say buy it, use it for the week, and see what happens. the only complaint i have is that the sloping sides make it impossible to open the door and not get rain inside... i use a military poncho to make a vestibule (why we don't use the shorter term 'porch' is another question) for it, and she's fine. if you only plan one season with it, you will be fine too.

don't get sold on heavy boots... midweight synthetic upper/rubber soles will work just fine... best value i've ever gotten was out of a $12 pair of walmart boots... still have them 6 years later for yardwork... sole's gone, but i got several hundred miles of hiking and walking out of them. currently using a pair of $70 hi-tec alpenlite's i got on sale at campmor for about $40... love them.

learn to build and use an alcohol stove (i made one at my desk the other day, over lunch of course, with two cans from the garbage, a pushpin, and my scissors, just to see if i could. found that i could.)

look at hammocks (and i don't mean yard hammocks... find someone with a hennessy or speer or homemade version of same) and try them out before you buy a tent... best night's sleep i've ever had while alone.

you said in your post you had a list of 'needs'... make sure they're not 'think i needs'... if you can stand the scrutiny (gets pretty brutal here, but we're really all pretty nice folks, with some more blunt than others), consider posting your whole list... someone else did that, and we went down it item by item, opining and offering advice... lots of discussion, lots of conflicting opinions, but somewhere in between is probably the truth...

LIhikers
09-16-2005, 14:24

- so my question is: when choosing my gear do I really really need that brand-named xyz (which generally carries a brand-name price tag with it) or will something less expensive do the same job?

No you don't need the name brand. My wife and I do section hikes on the AT and other multiday hikes in the state parks in the NY,NJ, and CT area. We're both using backpacks made by a company called Outdoor Products. We paid $49.95 for each one at Campmor about 4 years ago and they are holding up fine. They're good for our needs, but I don't think I'd do a thru hike with them. I've found that another good source for hiking gear and clothes are my local "second hand" shops. There must be a lot of people who go out and spend a lot of money on top notch gear when they think they want to get into backpacking. Then when they find out they don't like it the gear has to go to make room for their new interests. I've gotten packs and clothes that look brand new from second hand and thrift stores.

Seeker
09-16-2005, 15:20
good post... i forgot to mention second hand shops and ebay...

Lilred
09-16-2005, 15:52
I have an alcohol stove and love it. My pot comes from Wal-Mart, the grease pot, works great. Built my own cozy out of the silver windshield screens you can get at a dollar store. My pot stand was made out of hardware cloth. Total cost for my kitchen, under 10 bucks.

No, you don't have to spend a lot of money on name brand items. I bought my tarptent used, a Squall, for $75 and I love it. I bought the ULA P-2, my most expensive item, for my pack. Under 3lbs and love it too. Check out antigravitygear.com for alcohol stoves and cozies if you're not inclined to making your own. I believe in supporting small cottage industries when the quality is there, hence my purchases.

squirrel bait
09-17-2005, 10:24
I have one too (LiLRedMG alcohol stove) and love it. Hurricane Isabel and Ophelia tested. I purchased all my gear second hand and every piece performs as required. Look around is my advice.

CynJ
09-18-2005, 22:34
I've started thinking "outside the box" the more I read these forums. This is my "gear list" for a 2week trek- I don't know how realistic it is but here goes......

Tent:

tent
ground tarp

Backpack

internal frame
3000-4500 cubic inches
rain cover

Sleeping

sleeping pad
sleeping bag

Cooking

stove (alcohol cat or soda can stove)
fuel (in recycled soda bottle)
pot
cup
bowl
utensils
matches/lighter
scrungie pad
bandana (towel)

Food

snacks
breakfasts
lunches
dinners
condiments (salt/pepper/mrs. dash/splenda pks/coffee mate)
olive oil
coffee (coffee singles)
tea
bear/food bag
hanging rope

Hygiene/Health

first aid kit (band-aids, betadine wipes, few gauze pads, vet wrap)
blister kit (moleskin, blister plasters)
ibuprofen & Excedrin
bug repellant
enviro friendly soap
waterless shampoo
toothbrush
toothpaste
foot powder
razors (2 disposable)
toilet paper
trowel
hair pick
hair scrunchies/clips
tweezers
nail clip
Pepto bismal tablets
multi-vitamins
Diflucan

Clothing

boots (on my feet!)
3 sets socks (1 on - 2 spare)
long sleeved flannel shirt
stretch pants & tshirt (sleeping only)
1 pair shorts (swimming type)
4 sets underwear
2 bras (1 on - 1 spare)
spare pants
2 tshirts
camp shoes
rain suit/poncho
jacket
ball cap

Water

filter
chem treatment - Aqua Mira
Three 1 quart bottles (recycled gatorade)
water bag

Misc

leatherman
compass
maps/guidebook
knife
headlamp (Get LED Clips from Sears)
spare batteries (Led lamps take watch batteries, mini mag takes AA's)
flashlight (Mini Mag)
firestarters (1 or 2)
chapstick
whistle
signal mirror
spare glasses
eyeglass repair kit
duct tape
sewing kit (couple needles, reg polyester thread, fishing line)
camera
film
camera batteries
pack towel
wash basin
notebook
pens
book to read
rubber bands
repair kits (ie tent)
cards

fiddlehead
09-18-2005, 23:25
My Priority list for money spent on gear:
#1 Sleeping Bag
#2 tarp/hammock/shelter
#3 Raingear
#4 Long Underwear
#5-10 Food
#11 Pack (most anything will do as long as it's comfortable holding all your stuff)
#near the end: Shoes. I've spent big bucks and had sore feet, I've shopped thrift stores and spent time to find shoes (running) that were plenty big (at least 1 size too big) and never had foot problems again.
The rest can be free (or nearly) : plastic bags for stuff sacks, garbage bags for raincovers, spoon, old aluminum pot without handle, soda bottle, etc.
NO need to spend a lot of bucks after you get the 4 or 5 necessary items

Dances with Mice
09-18-2005, 23:28
It's all about individual preferences, y'know? Take everything everyone says with a grain, no a giant block, of salt. But do explain the folllowing:

This is my "gear list" for a 2week trek- I don't know how realistic it is but here goes......

bowl, utensils, scrungie padUtensil = spoon, it's not plural. Cooking pot = bowl, already listed. Scrubber pad (I assume) = unnecessary and unsanitary.

waterless shampoo, razorsScrap.

Three 1 quart bottles (recycled gatorade)2, with water bag.

leathermanWhich size? Micra, ok. Otherwise fuhgedabboudit.

flashlight (Mini Mag)Redundant. Choose one.

pack towel, wash basin Bandana & cookpot, already listed.

Panzer1
09-18-2005, 23:33
.i current use a pocket rocket but msr it cost about $50(i think..i purchased several months ago) i am thinking about selling it and going to the Pepsi can cooker...

I too have a pocket rocket as well as several other stoves. I am very happy with the rocket. It only weights 3 oz. for the stove part. It you switch to the Pepsi can stove you will see a big drop in performance. Keep the rocket even if you decide to go with the Pepsi can. You may want to come back to the rocket.

Panzer

Seeker
09-19-2005, 01:02
CynJ

see? told you you'd get good advice from others if you posted your list... looks like some already. i'll echo the advice to take all of this with a large block of salt. my system may not work for you. yours may not work for me. our experience levels differ, and our locales differ. in any case, my comments are in bold italic mixed in with your list.

Tent:

tent Get a hammock. 35 oz.
ground tarp not needed w/hammock.

Backpack

internal frame Why?
3000-4500 cubic inches
rain cover Consider a plastic garbage bag or trash compactor bag. black trash bag weighs an ounce.

Sleeping

sleeping pad
sleeping bag see comments below.

Cooking

stove (alcohol cat or soda can stove) that's what i use. ion, actually. homemade.
fuel (in recycled soda bottle)
pot someone suggested the $5 walmart greasepot in an earlier post... i have one and love it. got a titan kettle for b-day. still take grease pot when with my daughter.
cup campmor makes a 0.7 oz green one w/ measurements on side.
bowl only if hiking w/someone. mine is a cheap blue plastic thing that weighs an ounce. if alone, i eat out of the pot. kool aid container works too, and is light. top doubles as a cup.
utensils just bring one. i use a lexan tablespoon. good for everything.
matches/lighter no matches for me. in 30+ years, i've never had a Bic lighter go bad on me. never use a cheapo copy of one though, and never go out with one that's even close to empty. they work wet or dry, in wind, etc...
scrungie pad i take sometimes. not heavy. 2" square, fits inside my pot stand and keeps stove from rattling inside it.
bandana (towel) redundant with pack towel below.

Food

snacks
breakfasts
lunches
dinners
condiments (salt/pepper/mrs. dash/splenda pks/coffee mate)
olive oil
coffee (coffee singles)
tea
bear/food bag
hanging rope get 25' of the lightest you can find that will do the job. doesn't need to be a 1/2" climbing rope.

Hygiene/Health

first aid kit (band-aids, betadine wipes, few gauze pads, vet wrap)
blister kit (moleskin, blister plasters)
ibuprofen & Excedrin
bug repellant just FYI, they make really small cans of this. don't have to carry a huge can. costs more though.
enviro friendly soap
waterless shampoo (i am SO glad i'm a balding guy, and have short hair to begin with.)
toothbrush walmart travel toothbrush-case is the handle. 0.5 oz
toothpaste 1 oz travel size, refill off large tube in bounce box/at home
foot powder
razors (2 disposable) why?
toilet paper
trowel
hair pick
hair scrunchies/clips
tweezers
nail clip
Pepto bismal tablets
multi-vitamins
Diflucan

Clothing

boots (on my feet!)
3 sets socks (1 on - 2 spare)
long sleeved flannel shirt cotton? consider using rain top instead.
stretch pants & tshirt (sleeping only)
1 pair shorts (swimming type)
4 sets underwear redundent if used with swimming trunks.
2 bras (1 on - 1 spare) can't really comment, but read a review by a woman who hiked around australia, and she just had one spandex top. guess size makes a difference there... your call.
spare pants consider using rain pants instead.
2 tshirts 100% synthetic, i hope?
camp shoes
rain suit/poncho i use a rain suit if it's going to be cold. poncho if weather is to be warm. would take rain suit on thru hike.
jacket
ball cap

Water

filter redundent with AM. probably weighs a lb or so.
chem treatment - Aqua Mira My choice. 3 oz.
Three 1 quart bottles (recycled gatorade) do you realize water weighs 2 lbs per quart? i carry just one, but that's just me.
water bag how big? i have two choices... 6 qt if with daughter, 2 qt if alone.

Misc

leatherman may be redundant with knife.
compass
maps/guidebook
knife May be redundant with leatherman. i'm assuming it's a small pocketknife, like a Swiss Army Tinker or other small knife with a can/bottle opener, hole punch, 2 blades, screwdriver, etc.)
flashlight (Mini Mag) consider a "Micro Mag"... same company, but runs on 1 x AA, not 2. not a powerful light, but more than adequate. i walked 8 miles at night in the rain with it once. some people love them (me), other hate them. weighs 0.9 oz.
firestarters (1 or 2)
chapstick
whistle
signal mirror
spare glasses
eyeglass repair kit
duct tape
sewing kit (couple needles, reg polyester thread, fishing line)
camera
film
camera batteries
pack towel redundant with bandana above. i use a pack towel.
wash basin ok, but watch the weight... bottom of a gal milk jug or recycled water bag is pretty light at 1 to 3 oz. cook pot and bandana will work just fine.
notebook
pens why 2? and they're not waterproof. a pencil is.
book to read
rubber bands
repair kits (ie tent)
cards playing cards? they make mini ones, or you can cut a regular deck in half.

finally, i've got to agree with fiddlehead's priorities... my most expensive piece of equipment is my down bag. next is my hammock. next was my pack. i got the hammock and pack at about 75% of retail off eBay. my bag i bought new, after not finding it on eBay after 6 months. got to thinking about it later, and to me it's like wearing someone else underwear... sort of a personal item, and i'm glad now that i got it new. most of my other stuff came from campmor, walmart, or was a gift. i make some of my own stuff, mostly my stuff sacks and one of the tarps i use for my hammock. oh, and the stoves... love to make and tinker with stoves...

Alligator
09-19-2005, 10:47
Bring the cards if you are traveling with a buddy, else bring the book. Being 5'2" tall, you should keep in mind that a rough pack weight should be about 25% of your body weight. Not saying that you can't carry more, just that you may have to be especially critical with all items.

For instance, you have a lot of hygeine items with you. You might be able to bounce these along and use them in town when resupplying. Or repackage into very small containers, there are some dropper bottles on this site
http://www.prolitegear.com/Accessories_.html
(Someone here at WB, posted this link BTW. Excellent resource!)
I also bought the tiniest set of cards from there.

A good compass has a mirror, so no need for a signal mirror. But a good compass also weighs a bit.

A few shakedown hikes (weekends) will give a you a real good feel for what you can keep and what you can discard. Think about the suggestions you have received both in the field and upon return.

Seeker
09-19-2005, 11:04
just another opinion on weight/packweight ratio... i'm one that feels the numbers should be 15-20% of lean body mass, not 25% of actual body weight... eg. i'm 5-10 and weigh 185lbs... that's about 25 lbs more than i should (i know, i know... i'm working on it... ) so my lean body mass is about 160. 15-20% of that is 24-32 lbs, which is about what i'm happy carrying... 25% of my body weight would be 46lbs... i've done that, and i didn't like it. (have done even more, and liked it even less).

RLC_FLA
09-19-2005, 11:42
CynJ,

When we started our thru in '89, my wife and I had chamois shirts from LL Bean, nice and snuggly around the mall or sitting in front of a fireplace but on the trail worthless if they get wet. We got to Neel's gap after 3 days in the rain/sleet/snow and they set us up with a great set of Kokatat poly fleece pullovers that we still have to this day! Used them almost every day on the trail either as a jacket or pillow 8-)

Would suggest getting a poly-fleece, pull over or jacket for your around camp warmup jacket.

RLC-FLA
GAME '89

Newb
09-19-2005, 11:57
I bought a TEXSPORT Knollwood tent for under 25.00 on Ebay and I love it. Works fine. It only needed seam-sealer and has stood up to rain and wind.

CynJ
09-19-2005, 12:02
Just to give a little reasoning behind my selections:

Tent:

For me a tent is an absolute must. The thought of an ambassador of the reptile world visiting me in the middle of the night is enough to keep me off the trail entirely. A tent with a bottom is a necessity. lol…. I total respect snakes and appreciate their place in the ecosystem - but I am petrified of them.

Backpack:

Internal vs. External - my original thought is that internals are supposed to be more comfortable and have better mobility. But I am having a hard time finding one that fits properly so I am going to expand my search to include Externals as well.

rain cover - I put this on the list as to not forget that I need something to cover the pack. Will settle on something once the pack is selected.

Sleeping:

sleeping pad - this doesn't need to be extravagant - looking at all the options commercially available plus brainstorming some DIY options too.

sleeping bag - a good bag is a must, plus something that is neither too big or too small for me.

Cooking:

stove (alcohol car or soda can stove) - I’m going to make my first this week should be interesting. I've almost got my hubby convinced to come with me on the AT - if he comes along we will probably get a MSR pocket rocket instead.

pot/cup/bowl/utensils - I have to try a different Walmart -mine doesn't have the grease pot L . I haven't really nailed down the rest of this yet. Simple will be the rule of thumb though.

matches/lighter- this will depend on the stove

bandana (towel) - will carry a bandana for the "kitchen" and a separate towel/bandana for the body. More sanitary

Food:

bear/food bag &hanging rope: will be getting a light weight cord for this. Don't need a "rope" lol

Hygiene/Health:

bug repellant: get a smaller container of this

waterless shampoo: would not carry for trip under 3 days. After that though because my hair is thick and gets very greasy my head breaks out terribly. This draws bugs to you. The bugs & itchy/soreness isn't worth not carrying the shampoo. However I am going to try an old home remedy next weekend to see how it works (using dry cornstarch in your hair to absorb the grease/sweat, then brushing it out -may be a better alternative as cornstarch can also be used as body powder)

toothbrush/toothpaste- this will be easy to go light on J

razors (2 disposable) - embarrassingly enough - I have a hormonal problem that causes me to grow a beard (not one or two stray hairs but a FULL beard - bluck) - and although I know that women on the trail don't worry about pit/leg hair I think the weight of two disposable razors (which I can trim the handles shorter on) is worth not looking like a sideshow freak.

Clothing:

I really haven't had the chance to go check out "outdoor" clothing yet. So my clothing list isn't set in stone.

Water:

filter & chem treatment- although I haven't done the AT yet if the water sources are like the rest of CT I will need both. (mud & green)

Three 1 quart bottles (recycled gatorade) - I am going to start really monitoring how much water I use when hiking and try to gauge the number of quarts I need for a particular distance.

Misc:

leatherman/knife- my leatherman is a micro one - it has scissors, a small knife that is useless, and a small set of pliers which are very handy. I won't need to carry separate scissors for the firstaid/repair kits. I want to get a plain folding knife -about 3" blade as the blade on the leatherman is useless.

Lighting: I like my minimag as I can use it as a candle - the AA version gives you 5.5hrs of use from a set of batteries, the AAA version like 2hrs. I am investigating the LED clip on lights from Sears too. I can't find specs on how long they last.

signal mirror - I am getting a better compass that will include this

wash basin - I like the milkjug idea - or a gladware bowl will work too

pens -I always carry a sharpie marker to mark my film canisters (they have shorty ones now too!) and I a have a "space" pen that writes anywhere any time, but will bring a pencil ;)

cards- I love solitaire - so will bring these even if its just me J I found a great deck that is long and skinny - will have to weigh them without the case.

Alligator
09-19-2005, 12:07
Seeker-Should read no more than roughly 25%. Sure, less is better but 1/4 is a quick, easy, and reasonable computation for high value. What you have stated is not unreasonable but lean body mass may not be known. On the flip side, 45 lbs (165 is my estimate of lean body mass) does not affect my happiness, but it is borderline. I am very happy though in my 25-35 lb range, which includes a couple of comfort items. In other words, certainly aim to be under the 25% figure it all possible.

Just Jeff
09-19-2005, 12:24
The thought of an ambassador of the reptile world visiting me in the middle of the night is enough to keep me off the trail entirely.

Check out the hammock threads. More comfy than a tent and above the much and snakes.

Backpack: Internal vs. External
Get your weight down to <30lbs and try a frameless...it'll save you a bit more, and my GoLite Speed fits me well. OTOH, if your pack isn't comfortable you'll have a horrible trip, so try several and go with what fits best. Just don't rule out any one type out of hand.

sleeping bag - a good bag is a must, plus something that is neither too big or too small for me.
Try a quilt. Some folks don't like them, some do, but you can't deny that it saves weight!

matches/lighter- this will depend on the stove
Eh...I would always carry at least one book/container of matches in a waterproof container as part of a survival kit. A good fall can break a Bic when you need it most. Unlikely, but the "Ten Essentials" isn't the placed to skimp on half an ounce.

bandana (towel) - will carry a bandana for the "kitchen" and a separate towel/bandana for the body. More sanitary
I carry two bandanas. Used to carry a camp towel but found it useless. Others may disagree.

Lighting:
LEDs will give you much longer life per set of batteries, and they're more durable (LEDs don't blow like lightbulbs). They throw a different kind of light, though.

My .02. Ya know, if everyone gives their two cents, but they're only paying "a penny for your thoughts," someone is raking a 50% profit off the top.

Doctari
09-19-2005, 13:17
Tent: Already discussed. But at least look on our hammock forums. If I didn’t have a tent I love or had the money to do both, I would convert to hammock.

Backpack: You are wanting a Internal frame, be sure to get one that fits YOU! A “mans” pack can be very uncomfortable on a woman & vice versa. Don’t get one that is too big or too small. Most reputable dealers can measure your torso for proper fit. 3,000 – 4,500 CI is big. Bear in mind that most people will fill a pack no matter what size, a “Hey, I still have room, so I can carry that spare anvil” mentality. A rain cover is, , , , , , ineffective IMHO. I use 2 trash compactor bags, one for my sleeping bag, one for everything else. Both are inside the pack.

Sleeping: Pad; remember, (if using a closed cell pad) you can cut this to size, I’m 5’ 7” so a 6’ pad is overkill, and as I carry a rucksack (pack with “No frame) that uses a thin pad as support, I cut my pad to allow for the pack to be padding under my feet. Bag; Get in it BEFORE you buy, does it fit? Can you roll over easily? You don’t want it too short or more than about 8’ longer than you are (less air to warm).

Cooking: good choices all around, might I suggest instead of a “real” scrungie pad, get the net bag from off a turkey or ham & use that: easier to clean, just as effective, lighter.

Hygiene/Health: I agree, loose the “waterless shampoo”. Razors can be had at most convenience stores along the AT, for about $0.50, get one then, if you really feel you need it. I haven’t used a trowel for my last 2 trips, so 1 month of hiking, don’t even know/care where it is now, just use the heal of your boot/shoe.

Clothing: Cotton sucks on the trail. Most only carry cotton bandanas, everything else is synthetic. I do carry a cotton “sleep shirt” that I NEVER hike in. If you feel the need to have tee shirts, get something that isn’t cotton. You didn’t mention what the socks are made of: go wool or synthetic, your feet will thank you.

Water: Keep tha AM (or polar pure, etc) ditch the filter. I would lose one water bottle, or two, depending on the size of the “water bag”.

Misc: you shouldn’t need a leatherman AND a knife, pick one. Headlamp And a mini mag is over kill, I have a headlamp & a photon (very mini backup light). Pack towel is nice, I use a smaller lighter microfiber wash cloth that holds as much water as the pack towel did. Wash basin?????? Whateverfor? (If you really need a washbasin, try a 2 gallon zip lock) I have carried a “book to read” never have read on the trail. Consider having one sent to you after the first week, or buy along the way, as you may find you are too tired to read, or there is already so much to do & see you will not have time. Yes, I am an avid reader (My wife says I'm a "rabid reader" I do read alot.).

Doctari.

Seeker
09-19-2005, 14:30
CynJ-
i agree with jeff on the hammock... no critters, lighter, more comfortable, but requires a bit of a learning curve at first. easy once you play with it some. if you're thinking we mean a "hammock" as an open yard hammock, that's not it... we're talking about a 2 lb hanging tent, with a nice wide roof, built in mosquito net, gear loft, velcro door, and built in coffeemaker. wait. scratch that last... that's going to be in next years model...

my personal experience with the single AA was about 3 hours, and it still had battery life left at the end of the ordeal.

razors-ok. go for it. they don't weigh much, and you know your situation best.

as for the greasepot, make sure your walmart really doesn't have it... most employees just don't know what it is... it's in the kitchen gadget section where they keep the tea balls, garlic presses, measuring cups, scales, etc... usually on the bottom shelf, way in back. just double check before you go to another walmart...

Jeff-
once again, you've made me think... never thought about a fall breaking my lighter... i do carry a spare, sometimes, and there aren't any cliffs around here, but you may be right.. half an ounce vs no fire... i'm rethinking it... thank you.

Alligator-
didn't mean to say mine was the only answer, just another opinion. no offense taken, i hope. (and being a lightweighter, i'm probably a little biased.):D

mochilero
09-19-2005, 14:41
The biggest problem with the cheap tents isn't that they aren't waterproof. The problem is that they are usually single-walled and you'll get a lot of condensation. I'm all for cheap stuff (I've slept in a plastic bag just to keep the weight and cost down), but be sure you keep the door flaps open, or otherwise let some air flow through so you won't have the condensation from your own breath dripping on you in the morning.

Alligator
09-19-2005, 15:58
CynJ-
Alligator-
didn't mean to say mine was the only answer, just another opinion. no offense taken, i hope. (and being a lightweighter, i'm probably a little biased.):DNone taken. I think you have presented a good and attainable range to aim for.

workboot
09-19-2005, 16:13
For a cookpot check out the Open Country 1.1 liter (35 oz) camp boiler for $6.99 at campmor.It works fine for me.Also you can get a roll/spool of lighweight cord to hang your foodbag at wal-mart for about a buck,also, wool/synthetic blend socks can also be found a wally world in the hunting section for around 4 bucks a pair.

Just Jeff
09-19-2005, 17:00
For a cookpot:

1 - Buy a Foster's in the big can
2 - Drink the beer
3 - Cut off the top
4 - Wash it out. (optional step if you really like beer...it'll flavor your ramen...)

It'll fit on a hardware cloth pot stand, 2 squares high by about 15 long, and weighs less than your roll of TP. Works best for boiling water for freezer-bag cooking (or similar), but I guess you can cook in it too.

I've been using a JetBoil recently, but I might make a Foster's pot for my next trip.

titanium_hiker
09-19-2005, 18:48
remember that the filter can be your bandana. then also use treatment- don't carry both filter and treatment. If you like, you can also boil your water (ok, so this is the dumb heavy way, and you have to boil it like 20mins at 8500 ft)

beard? I'd grow it- great trail name! (that's just me though- I cried *almost* when I found out I couldn't grow a beard (being a girl is so tough)) you do what you think is best. :)

pot? I'm using a peach can for my pot, just enough for one person- however cooking pasta from scratch = boils over. soak it first. or go for freezer bag cooking. mmm.. check out sarbar's site (http://www.freewebs.com/freezerbagcooking/) mmm.
couples? carry your own stove, pot, food. You can eat individually, (he likes extra chili? let him have extra chili.) but together. This is also good if you get split up.

I have a 50L pack (3050 ci) and it's good. Cover? I like Just Jeff's all in one- I made me one and I LOVE it. it is such a useful and versitile piece of gear- water basin, gear hammock, packcover, "dashing" rain cover, emergency food bag...
(http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearPackCoverGearHammock.html)

Hammock: you want to sleep on the GROUND with all those CRITTERS? ewww. :)

pack- they say that internal is more comfortable for women- just get it fitted. I like mine, a DOITE Andes 50.

thanks for the great thread! it's got me thinking!
titanium

Alligator
09-19-2005, 21:31
pot? I'm using a peach can for my pot, just enough for one person- however cooking pasta from scratch = boils over. ...
I don't think you are supposed to cook out of vegetable/fruit cans. Unless the materials have changed, I seem to remember this is a health hazard. Strictly aluminum like the beer can pot I think is ok though.

jlb2012
09-20-2005, 08:58
For a cookpot:

1 - Buy a Foster's in the big can
2 - Drink the beer
3 - Cut off the top
4 - Wash it out. (optional step if you really like beer...it'll flavor your ramen...)

It'll fit on a hardware cloth pot stand, 2 squares high by about 15 long, and weighs less than your roll of TP. Works best for boiling water for freezer-bag cooking (or similar), but I guess you can cook in it too.

I've been using a JetBoil recently, but I might make a Foster's pot for my next trip.

instead of Fosters use a 24 ounce Heineken Keg can - a little larger diameter and the ridges around the can make it easier to lift using a bandana - less likely to slip out of your hand

btw I only boil water in the can - all cooking is in the zip lock bag and cozy

titanium_hiker
09-20-2005, 13:17
to alligator- oops! I guess I'd better start looking for a pot... :( thanks- I'm SO glad I hadn't done it too much.

whadda bout non drinkers ? any non-beer alternatives?

titanium

Just Jeff
09-20-2005, 13:53
Dump it out. I don't think a single can of beer will break the bank... :p

Seeker
09-20-2005, 16:41
even if you don't drink it, you can add it to a batch of spaghetti sauce...

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-20-2005, 18:31
to alligator- oops! I guess I'd better start looking for a pot... :( thanks- I'm SO glad I hadn't done it too much.

whadda bout non drinkers ? any non-beer alternatives?

titanium
I've yet to compare them side by side, but Arizona makes an iced tea can that is comparable to the fosters

Patrick
09-20-2005, 18:47
Definitely just my opinion here. Just so you know where I'm coming from:

My last trip was an eight-day in CT/MA. I carried food for the whole trip from the start (vegan). My starting total (not counting clothes worn) weight was 34 lbs, finishing weight was 21 lbs. I'm 6'1", 210 lbs.

+1 for the hammock. You'll never look back. Plus, keeps you even farther away from those that slither.

I'd go no frame if your gear weight is reasonable. You're the one who has to lug it of course, but my experience has been that unless you're carrying a ton, your gear packed in will do just fine; you don't need a frame, internal or external.

I like having a bowl. I used to do just pot and cup, but took a bowl after reading someone here's suggestion on the Thai Kitchen meal's plastic bowl. Under an ounce and free with the meal. I almost always have two things for dinner and a beverage, so they all get used. Main meal out of my pot, mashed potatoes in the bowl, coffee in the cup. Definitely worth the <1 ounce to me to not have to eat one dish entirely then prepare the next.

I do agree about the spoon, though. Never needed more. Also, about the scrubby. Took one on my last trip, never used it, and it's definitely unsanitary unless REALLY taken care of, especially considering that almost everyone stows it in their pot.

Check out the PCT method for bear bagging. Works great (after some practice -- getting those lines tangled can be a headache), simple, and cheap. My (huge) food bag, and hanging system weight is four oz. for everything.

Definitely don't need all that light. A two ounce Princeton Tec will last like 40 hours in normal weather, no problem. If you're set on a backup, get a little Photon light. Weighs about nothing and is plenty bright enough to get you by until you replace the main one.

I like having a washtub. Made a big difference when I started using it. I was able to do laundry easily and it was an unexpected blessing while hiking in MA where it was really dry. Probably every other time I was collecting water, it was just a trickle, so I could use my washtub to collect it for filtering. Mine is the cut-off bottom of a gallon water jug. Less than two ounces, multiple uses.

I also like having a dedicated pack cover because I hang my pack off a tree every night, so it's constantly going on and off. I have a silnylon one that weighs three oz. and cinches up very snug. I don't quite have the nerve to use it for water yet, but works great as something to sit on or something to put your unpacked gear on if it's muddy or dirty.

+1 on lighters. I had a "Girls of the WWF" one in my kayak skirt for years, soaked, rusted, etc. I was going through there the other day and it lit right up. Hiking, I carry one of those mini Bic ones as a back up (my stove has an igniter). Just Jeff has a good point, though. Six or eight waterproof matches and a piece of tape sure isn't going to register on my scale.

Coffee singles kick ass.

I've given up my trowel for the AT. It's rare enough that I get caught away from a privy that I can dig with a stick when it does happen. Glad to be rid of it just to have one less thing more than I am for the weight savings.

Keep an eye on your clothing. I had a lot before my most recent trip, but got rid of about half of it after posting a clothing list on here and getting a lot of comments. Clothing really adds up. I saved two pounds and had enough for the weather. When you start to look more seriously at it, post your list here and you'll get tons of help.

+1 on the waterbag. A 2-liter Platypus weighs less than two oz. I think. Folds to nothing when you're on trail and is great to have for camp at night. I like two old Aquafina bottles for during the day. Three is too many for me. Times where I had to hump water for a long way, I'd just fill my bag up halfway or so.

I also carry two pack towels, one for me, one for the food. I've found that system very effective.

That's it from me for now. Great to read everyone's tips and advice.