PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety is killing me...2 week pre-hike worries

Koozy
03-20-2014, 12:56
I'll be beginning my NOBO thru hike on 4/4/14 and am having worries on my approach to the hike (but I think its just my nerves/anxiety getting to me). I feel like I've done considerable research and should be confident about what I'm doing, but am getting the pre-hike jitters.

I'm only planning on a few mail drops for food (Fontana, Glencliff, Monson), and have created a resupply plan based on the AT Guide and online resources. I realize the I cannot anticipate trail/weather conditions and it will be modified while on the trail. I think this approach is fine, but anyone have input?

Also, I'm hoping to stay at a hotel/hostel once every 7-10 days but haven't really contacted any. Is it reasonable to call a couple days ahead and secure a spot? I know I'll be in the middle of the "hiker bubble" so places will be busy. I haven't read any info on how/when people decide to stay at any type of lodging...it seems like everybody does it on the fly.

Are these worries rational...or is it just my anxiety? Does anyone else feel this way? Any insight to keep me calm?

RED-DOG
03-20-2014, 13:09
Looks like you got everthing covered, everbody gets the thru-hike jitters it comes from the not knowing aspect of it don't worry you will calm down as soon as you hit the trail and yes every body feels that way, I felt the AT jitters before all three of my thru's, and yes if you are hiking in a bubble and if you leave 4-4-14 then you probably will it would be a good idea to call ahead to Hostel/Hotel to make reservations or just to check availability. Good Luck and happy hiking.

tiptoe
03-20-2014, 13:42
Even section hikers feel that way, so yes, it's quite normal. Once you are actually on the trail, you'll get a lot of support from the people you meet, and you'll find that coping with actual problems is a generally a lot easier than coping with scenarios your imagination can cook up. Have fun out there.

-Ghost-
03-20-2014, 15:17
I'll be beginning my NOBO thru hike on 4/4/14 and am having worries on my approach to the hike (but I think its just my nerves/anxiety getting to me). I feel like I've done considerable research and should be confident about what I'm doing, but am getting the pre-hike jitters.

I'm only planning on a few mail drops for food (Fontana, Glencliff, Monson), and have created a resupply plan based on the AT Guide and online resources. I realize the I cannot anticipate trail/weather conditions and it will be modified while on the trail. I think this approach is fine, but anyone have input?

Also, I'm hoping to stay at a hotel/hostel once every 7-10 days but haven't really contacted any. Is it reasonable to call a couple days ahead and secure a spot? I know I'll be in the middle of the "hiker bubble" so places will be busy. I haven't read any info on how/when people decide to stay at any type of lodging...it seems like everybody does it on the fly.

Are these worries rational...or is it just my anxiety? Does anyone else feel this way? Any insight to keep me calm?

Rational for sure but from the sounds of it you are perfectly prepared. Your resupply plan will likely go out the window right off the bat. I did one food drop at Fontana...thats it. It is VERY easy to buy as you go on the AT. I would just plan my food pick up and the one after it. As far as hostels and stuff go I wouldnt worry about it. Its very possible you can come to packed shelters or hostels but there is generally another option (or just tenting) and its very likely others will be in the same situation and you can brainstorm with them etc and figure something out easily. One of my favorite aspects of the AT when i hiked it is the freedom and ability to do whatever you want! It certainly would make you feel more comfortable having a solid plan when starting but I think youll see a few weeks in how easy (and in my opinion, fun) it is to wing it and take it as it comes! Have fun out there man!

Oak88
03-20-2014, 15:33
I rarely planned more than 3-5 days at a time given the distances between re-supplies. I enjoyed the planning aspect sharing information with NOBOs SOBOs and day trippers. Your jitters will leave you after the first two days and you'll get into a groove. Do make initial reservations but then as you get close to places you can call the day before or day of and make reservations. Most of the time I just walked into a motel or hostel and found vacancies. Once in Rangley Maine I had to stay in an expensive motel because the cheaper hiker motel was full. You can often share rooms with fellow hikers as well, though I only did on a few occasions. I got off the trail more often than you plan to but I found that plans always changed. Best of Luck and enjoy the trail.

Don H
03-20-2014, 15:36
Soon after starting you'll figure out that everything works out with little planning on your part.
The most planning I ever did was to figure out how many days food I needed to get me to the next town.
Pre hike jitters are normal, just go hike and have fun!

Do you have any idea how many people wish they were in your shoes right now?

Good Luck!

Affirmative
03-20-2014, 15:40
My first day on the trail is April 3. I will have a few resupplies mostly because I'll be using disposable contacts. You've probably done a lot more research and planning than me which I think contributes to your anxiety. "What if this goes wrong or I can't get this or that?" You can't control everything and things will happen. There's no knowing until you're there. You've already done your homework, your planning, and your research. There's only one thing you need to be concerned with now - one step at a time. Recognize that you may just be over thinking.

It doesn't hurt to call places you might want to stay at in advance, but if they're going to be full - they're full. Not the end of the world.

You'll be fine. Be at peace. Stay flexible. Adapt and enjoy!

FarmerChef
03-20-2014, 15:50
Don't sweat it. Seriously. All your plans will go out the window after your first couple of days and you'll, hopefully, relax and just let it happen. Resupplying is easy and plentiful all along the trail as are the number of people willing to give you a hand or a tip to make sure you get it. You won't know if a hostel/hotel is going to be busy until you're a few days away and "sense" the bubble but really, it's not that big a deal. If it worries you, call ahead. But some places are first come, first served anyway. Or just call the day of or the day before, especially if you want to arrange a shuttle or slackpack. I hike with 4 other people and a dog so I almost always call ahead but I sometimes wing it too. All those times have worked out one way or another, even for a group as big as us. Have fun! :D

lonehiker
03-20-2014, 16:06

Most on WB get too much information. They want their gear list scrubbed, their itinerary double-checked, they read countless trail journals, etc. Half of the fun of long distance hiking is the unknown and overcoming the obstacles that that will bring. It is natural to be anxious, but, just take a deep breath and start walking. Rest will fall into place.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-20-2014, 16:24
DON'T DO IT !!! IT'S MADNESS !!!!

No, really, have a wonderful time :).

Feral Bill
03-20-2014, 17:58
The best cure for anxiety is to take a nice long walk.

HikerMom58
03-20-2014, 18:00
YOU GOT THIS!!!!!!!!!! Have a blast! :)

TheCheek
03-20-2014, 19:28
Cool, 4/4. Maybe you'll see me and my father in law out there. He's planning to thru hike and I'm only going to start the first few days with him from AFSP as an exercise in support, nostalgia and jealously. We'll be the ones with Canadian accents because we're from Wisconsin, USA. Hope to see you out there, eh?

rafe
03-20-2014, 20:14
Oh gawd, don't let the hiker bubble get you down. (Easier said than done.) Have a good time, make your own way. The more gregarious thrus will be grouping and re-grouping constantly, the loners manage to go their own way and ignore the larger flow.

I don't know how to "deal with" the hiker bubble, except to avoid it. If you put the shelters and hostels completely out of your mind, you may be better off, mileage and budget-wise -- but you may miss a good deal of the social scene. If you hike shelter to shelter, it's almost impossible to out-run the bubble, at least for the first month or two.

shantigrl2014
03-20-2014, 21:05
I am leaving 4-4-14 as well and alternating between being VERY excited or nervous, trying to let go of that nervous stuff and remember it is only one step at at time. AND things will go wrong... and right! not gonna starve, I got a phone, for once in my life I am going to try letting the events unfold, not run the whole show. WHo knows what is in store? I don't have a big enough imagination for all the scenarios so gonna pack up my pack, put the boots on and wait. That's all I got, good luck

mcgame
03-20-2014, 23:10
Been having lots of the same feelings, leaving April 1st. I enjoyed the posts here and they are what I have been thinking in the back of my mind. That is, prepare for what you can and then let it happen. Seems like there are plenty of others in the same situation and many others to help or give advice.

Pendragon
03-20-2014, 23:36
Whatever you do - DON'T!

fiddlehead
03-21-2014, 08:52
I get the same feelings when I'm getting ready to run a marathon.

The best thing you can do is go for a hike (or a run)
Start getting up earlier (with the sun or even earlier), going to bed when it gets dark, etc.

Test your gear out now, make some small tweaks (like a few loops tied into your tie-down lines on your tent for when you can't get a stake in exactly where you want) (things like that)
If you do that, then just prepare for some bad weather and you'll be all set.

fredmugs
03-23-2014, 07:43
Most hostels I ever tried to call do not do reservations for the obvious reason. There's no guarantee that YOU are going to be at a specific point 5 days in the future but, during peak season, there are going to be lots of other hikers who will be there. I wouldn't worry about it but I do suggest taking a break when you feel you need one as opposed to every Xth day.

Koozy
03-23-2014, 09:23
Thanks everyone! You said everything I needed to hear. I'm confident that I'm exactly where I should be with 2 weeks before my hike. Sometimes there's too much information and it's easy to get caught up in it. I'm 3 days of work and a week long road trip away from beginning my dream. Can't wait!

bigcranky
03-23-2014, 11:17
Koozy, I think you have "Fletcheritis," named after Colin Fletcher, famed long distance hiker and writer. He describes it in The Complete Walker, IIRC. He also describes the cure that his doctor recommended, which would probably help. The book is great and even better if you can find the first edition. (Hint: it's just nerves. You'll be fine.)

Drybones
03-23-2014, 11:45
, everbody gets the thru-hike jitters it comes from the not knowing .

It's just like getting married, you have no idea what you're getting into and it's a little scary.... some fall by the way side early on, some make it a long way and for a multitude of reasons stop..... and then there are those that suffer the hardships and make it to the end and are able to celebrate having met the challenges and overcome...

mj13168
03-26-2014, 22:36
Koozy, GROUP of APRIL 04, count me in. It will be my 58th birthday,so don't forget to say "HAPPY BIRTHDAY and bring the cake" (just joking). 4/3 will stay at Hiker Hostel and 4/4 to Amicalola Falls then hike to Springer Mountain. Right now I am nervous ,too.

My trail name is CAT which represents three important places in my life. C means CHINA,my ancestor's land; A means AMERICA,my living land; and T means TAIWAN,my born land. CAT is a gentle animal,so I wish these three places always PEACE NO WAR. I need to admit that I don't have many mountain camping experiences,but I am willing to learn from whoever I meet. I wish I can be the first Chinese-American from Taiwan who thru hike AT.

mj13168
03-26-2014, 23:54
Koozy or any one have 2014 AWOL please Do me a favor. I may do the first mail drop to Fontana and see 2014 AWOL page 25, shall my mailing label like this:
My Name,c/o general delivery,Fontana Village,NC 28733. Please hold for AT hiker,ETA xx,xx.

Hangfire
03-28-2014, 02:41
Ah Koozy you got nothing to worry about, it looks like I will be starting a day ahead of you and I really have no idea what I'm doing. This will be my first backpack camping trip since I was 13, I have no mail drops and my food bag consists of pop tarts, snickers and top ramen. I'm expecting to learn everything really fast and from what I can tell you are light years ahead of me!
See you out there, I will be the tall Goofy guy talking about fishing 7/24!