PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I'm pretty sure this is a rumor but...

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-16-2005, 11:06
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&summit=TokyoTechSummit05&storyid=2005-09-16T143042Z_01_EIC652134_RTRIDST_0_ODD-AUSTRALIA-ELECTRICITY-DC.XML

stupe
09-16-2005, 17:19
See what wearing all this synthetic stuff has led to?

Tin Man
09-16-2005, 18:08
Good argument for not carpeting the trail. :jump

titanium_hiker
09-16-2005, 18:59
oh wow- LOL tinman- that's a classic.

titanium

titanium_hiker
09-16-2005, 19:00
dang it- no edit button, wanted to add this:

isn't it an elementary science experiment were you rub wool with a rubber rod and use it to pick up paper? Same principal as balloon to hair to wall.

titanium

TOW
09-16-2005, 21:36
wow, if i had that much electricity i could really set the girls on fire...........

Tha Wookie
09-16-2005, 22:26
Good argument for not carpeting the trail. :jump
lol!!! that IS a good one! :D :jump

Mountain Hippie
09-17-2005, 12:14
So I guess we don't need the backpack generator after all. Just adorn the appropriate clothing and use socks fashioned from a piece of carpet. Don't ask where the appliance plugs in, you don't want to know.
When channeled properly the electrical discharge could also be used as a critter/human deterrent and a great way to get a campfire started.
You would be sure to attract a following of cell phone and other battery powered appliance users trying to plug their chargers for their rapidly depleting batteries into your ......receptacle. I guess cell phones would really be a pain in the butt then.

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-17-2005, 12:16
If I remember right, you can calculate what the maximum static voltage charge that could be built between two dissimilar materials... I'm pretty sure wool/synthetic is not in the range that the article claims was built up

Moxie00
09-18-2005, 22:04
:dance This is wonderful news. All we have to do now is dress the thru-hikers in static creating clothing. When they pass over the Crocker mountains they can touch a wire leading to Redingtom and Black Nubble Ridge. This is where Endless Energy company wants to put in a wind farm within a couple of miles of the AT. Now the company will not have to install the huge bird and view killing wind turbines as the hikers can generate all the electricity Maine will ever need
:welcome To Maine, where we no longer need dams, nukes, or wind turbines,

Newb
09-19-2005, 10:00
dang it- no edit button, wanted to add this:

isn't it an elementary science experiment were you rub wool with a rubber rod and use it to pick up paper? Same principal as balloon to hair to wall.

titanium
There's a sexual innuendo to be had from this comment. I, however, will resist the urge to exploit it.