PDA

View Full Version : Thorton Gap to Rock Spring Hut

twilight
03-20-2014, 17:12
Wondering if anyone can provide me an idea of what the trail/pathway is like between Thorton Gap and Rock Spring Hut? Is it an easy footway or is it loaded with rocks? I have a big mileage day through this section with about 12 hours of daylight, I hike slow. Any details would be helpful.

Twilight

johnnybgood
03-21-2014, 14:59
Heading sobo from Thornton Gap you will right out of gate have rocks for the first mile before reaching the ridgeline.
There are a few rocky areas afterward, nothing really as bad as that initial climb.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2014, 20:05
It's part of a path that the NPS designates in their Ranger Explorer program for kids.....how bad can it be?

Studlintsean
03-22-2014, 00:17
You hit Mary's rock right out of the gate but it's a nice opener.

Studlintsean
03-26-2014, 09:36
Twilight- Any updated information to pass along for this section? Thanks in advance

twilight
03-26-2014, 16:13
I'll be heading for my next section hike on Sunday. Won't be to this area until Wed. or Thurs.

Twilight

Studlintsean
03-26-2014, 18:16
I hiked this section years ago but might be out there this weekend (pending severe Thunderstorms). If so, I'll report back on it. Any particular info you are looking for?

twilight
03-26-2014, 19:56
I was just looking for info on the footpath through this section, I have 15 mile day through there with 12 hours of daylight, but from the other replies to this post it doesn't sound like I have to much to be concerned with.

Twilight

Studlintsean
03-30-2014, 15:51
I might have already missed you but I just got back from this section this morning. Woke up to snow this morning so expect cold/wet. As far as the trail its pretty easy hiking but the trail after Skyland and about 2 miles from the shelter is very icy. The ice lasts for about .5 miles. Make sure you carry poles. The roof at Rocksprings is leaking.

Jim Lynch
03-30-2014, 16:44
The climb out of Thornton Gap to Mary's Rock is pretty steep, so just be ready for that. The rest of the trail to Rock Spring Hut is fine; minor ups and downs. A pretty section. Stop for lunch at Skyland is a treat. You can eat in the restaurant or in the bar (Mountain Room). A note: the water at Thornton Gap rest room facility has been signed as non-potable until recently. Whatever was the problem is now fixed according to a report from a park person. Plus I was there last Friday and confirmed that the signs are gone.

twilight
04-05-2014, 22:21
Thanks for the updates guys. I did find the ice on the way to the shelter, but it was nothing I couldn't get around. I got hit with the snow and high wind my first day out at Tom Floyd's Wayside. Had the park closed for 2 days.

Twilight

Studlintsean
04-06-2014, 00:01
Glad you had a nice trip man.