PDA

View Full Version : How many Evernew Water Carriers should I get

HooKooDooKu
03-20-2014, 21:31
I found a U.S. based internet retailer with 1.5L and 2L Evernew water carriers in stock.

The 1.5L is $17.80 and the 2L is $21.80 (shipping included).

I ordered and received the 2L... so the source is legit.

My plans are to use this as the dirty-water bag for my Sawyer filter. Given that I only plan to use this for general backpacking (not a thru hike), should I spend the money to get a 2nd one as a spare or do you think Evernew will start shipping more to the U.S. before I have to buy another one?

LDog
03-20-2014, 22:29
should I spend the money to get a 2nd one as a spare or do you think Evernew will start shipping more to the U.S. before I have to buy another one?

They have not had a great track record of doing so. I finally got mine after a year, and that took a lot of looking. Many of the vendors said they can't keep them in stock.

Odd Man Out
03-20-2014, 23:30
They have not had a great track record of doing so. I finally got mine after a year, and that took a lot of looking. Many of the vendors said they can't keep them in stock.

I got a couple of 0.9 L bags from here a while back when they first became available. They still list the 0.9 and 1.5 L on their site.

http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/evernew-water-carry.html

HooKooDooKu
03-21-2014, 01:06
I decided to go ahead and order a 2nd 2L bladder.

The site is www.ultraliteoutfitters.com. Last I saw, they still had 10 of the 2L in stock. I hadn't previously found this retailer when I searched for Evernew Water Carrier, but did find them when I searched by part number.

I had found www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com with the 0.9L and 1.5L, and I had previously seen another site with the 600mL. But the only other place I had previously found the 2L was over-seas sellers, some warning of import duties and that they didn't deal with that and I would.

daddytwosticks
03-21-2014, 07:10
I don't understand. What's so great about this brand of water bags versus something like a Platty? :)

Ewker
03-21-2014, 09:34
I don't understand. What's so great about this brand of water bags versus something like a Platty? :)

they work with the Sawyer Squeeze water filter.

jimmyjam
03-21-2014, 09:43
Just get some smart water 1 liter bottles . Cheaper lighter and will fit the sawyer . When they get nasty just replace in town .

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

HooKooDooKu
03-21-2014, 10:08
They fit the threads of the Sawyer filter.

When Sawyer designed their filter, they decided to follow the standard for soda/water bottle screw caps to connect their dirty-water bags to the filter. That means that you can screw a Sawyer water filter onto a standard plastic Coke bottle.

When Platypus designed their water bags, they decided to use the standard "size" of a soda/water bottle for the bag opening, but they decided to use a unique thread slope making their bags incompatible with standard soda/water bottles. So if you need a new screw cap for your Platypus water bag, you must buy a Platypus cap, you can't just reuse a cap from an old soda/water bottle. So a Platypus will fit on the Sawyer filter, but you can screw it down more than about 3/4 to 1 full turn. That doesn't ensure your anything close to a tight seal.

When Evernew designed their water bags, they decided to use the standard soda/water bottle design. So the Evernew properly fits the Sawyer filter.

And unlike the bags that come with the Sawyer, the Evernew is clear so you can see how dirty the water is and decide to either refill it or tilt it in such a way the silt sinks to the bottom of the bag without getting forced into the Sawyer filter.

HooKooDooKu
03-21-2014, 10:20
Just get some smart water 1 liter bottles . Cheaper lighter and will fit the sawyer . When they get nasty just replace in town .

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
That doesn't fold/roll up into a neat small package for your back pack.

Plus one of the cool things about the Evernew water bag is that it comes with a small bungie cord... so what you do is wrap the Evernew water bottle around your Sawyer filter, then wrap the bungie around the hold thing to hold it all in place. You could accomplish the same thing with a cheap rubber band, but this is something already attached to the water bag.

LDog
03-21-2014, 10:49
I got a couple of 0.9 L bags from here a while back when they first became available. They still list the 0.9 and 1.5 L on their site. http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/evernew-water-carry.html

I just got mine from them.

As others have said, they have the proper threads for the Sawyer. The Platy's thread pitch is wrong, which could end up messing up the threads in the Sawyer. In the photo below its the Platy on the left the Evernew on the right, and the sawyer in between.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CPcSpbCpbW8/Ux46nqz7fQI/AAAAAAAAIE4/v7F9iusWMjA/s1600/DSCF2275-1.jpg

From www.laughingdog.com/2014/03/tweakin-my-hydration-system.html

I carry my water in gatorade bottles on my shoulder straps. I like having a 2l addtl capacity to carry extra water when dry camping, or when water sources are far apart. The rest of the time, it slips into my pack with virtually no volume.

Odd Man Out
03-21-2014, 11:21
Also the first generation of Sawyer bags had a reputation for breaking. Reviews on the Evernew Bags indicated they were more durable. Sawyer has supposedly come out with redesigned bags so that may or may not still be relevant.

I have two 20 oz Gatorade bottles for drinking from (free from the recycle dumpster). I have the 1L bag that came with the filter and two 1L Evernew bags. Will carry some combination of these depending on how much water I think I will need (variable depending on the trail and time of year). Will probably always bring two bags. One for dirty water. The other for extra clean water capacity if dry camping and as a backup for the first in case it breaks.

Deacon
03-21-2014, 11:30

1) the cap is attached and you won't lost it.

2) the threads fit the Sawyer exactly. Yeah you can make Platty work, but I've had the threads pop off the Sawyer, as they just don't fit right.

Ewker
03-21-2014, 11:32
1) the cap is attached and you won't lost it.

2) the threads fit the Sawyer exactly. Yeah you can make Platty work, but I've had the threads pop off the Sawyer, as they just don't fit right.

don't hold your breath on the cap staying on the bottle. The cap ring that goes around the neck of the bag broke on the first trip out for me.

Deacon
03-21-2014, 11:34
To answer the OP's question, I carry one 2L to serve as the dirty bag, and four .9L bottles.

I only hike with one bottle filled and stow the others. At the end of the day I'll fill them all so I have enough for dinner and the next morning.

HooKooDooKu
03-21-2014, 12:21
To answer the OP's question, I carry one 2L to serve as the dirty bag, and four .9L bottles.

I only hike with one bottle filled and stow the others. At the end of the day I'll fill them all so I have enough for dinner and the next morning.

You would save a little weight (and increase capacity) if you replaced the 4 x 900ml bottles with 2 x 2L bottles.
The weight of 4 x 900ml bottles is 4 x 29g = 116g.
The weight of 2 x 2L bottles is 2 x 42g = 84g.
Of course for Deacon, the cost of 2 x 2L Evernew water bags (~$44) might not justify the cost to save 32g.

Even better idea, replace 2 x 2L Evernew "clean" water bags with 2 x 2L PlatyBottles.
The weight of 2 x 2L PlatyBottles is 2 x 36g = 72g.
The cost to change over to 2 x 2L PlatyBottles is ~$26 saving 44g. (Again, perhaps not worth it to Deacon).

Since the Sawyer doesn't "connect" to anything on the "output" side, it doesn't mater if you're using Evernew, Platypus, or some other container on the output.

Odd Man Out
03-21-2014, 14:18
Since the Sawyer doesn't "connect" to anything on the "output" side, it doesn't mater if you're using Evernew, Platypus, or some other container on the output.

Except that by having two compatible bags gives you a backup. If I'm going to have two bags anyway, I'd rather both be able to be used on the dirty side, if necessary.

daddytwosticks
03-21-2014, 16:10
Thanks for the education. I just purchased a Sawyer Mini and have been playing around (not in the field) with it. I have a 1L and 2L platy and they seemed to work fine with this filter, even squeezing hard and all. So others say they will mess-up/fail at some point? I'll have to keep my eyes out. :)

daddytwosticks
03-21-2014, 16:12
...forgot to mention, I intend to use this filter mostly for it's drinking straw capabilities. I like the idea of drinking up at a water source, but still using my Aqua Mira treatment for my water that I carry or use in camp. :)

Shonryu
03-21-2014, 17:20
Its funny I stumbled across this thread. I just ordered a few from Greatoutdoors the other day before reading this.

I have several platypus bladders and all of them when tested leak where the bag connects to the filter. Ive even tried the older models on the mini. Trying to tilt my bottle so I didnt get run off of contaminated water always sucked.

I've always carried 2 1 liter smart water bottles. One for drinking water and another for my drink mixez, one 2 platyliter for camp water, and a 750ml for my dirty bag. If the dirty bag failed I would just use my smart water bottles as back up but that has never happened.

For me I ordered X2 of the 900ml and X1 of the 1.5 liter. I plan on using the 900ml for my dirty bag just for the weight savings and the rest are just back ups to keep at home incase I ever need them. Ive always had the midset that having a smaller bag for my dirty also means less of a chance of a malfunction since there is less material on it. May give the 1.5 liter a try.

LDog
03-21-2014, 23:33
My sawyer squeezed leaked around the dirty water bag connection. It was annoying. I had to be careful that none of the dirty water dribbled into my clean water bottles.

After several weeks on the trail, I started hiking with another user. A surgeon who was fastidious about cleaning and maintaining his filter. He said he always pulled the washer out to clean it. I tried to pluck out what I thought was a black washer, only to find out mine didn't have a washer! It shipped without one.

I hit a hardware store in Pearisburg, got Sawyer's customer service on the line, asked them what size washer I needed, bought two, installed one, and have had no leakage problems since ...

I still have a bruise on my forehead from the "Duh!" moment tho ...

Hoss Cat
03-21-2014, 23:43
I have used a 2L platy quite a bit on a sawyer mini, and never had a leak...until it started leaking. I have also had a bout with ecoli in the past (most likely acquired from bad water - tournament fishing during a time of flooding and biting the line when changing lures). It was not pleasant, and I will take any step I can to avoid that again. I have no doubt the evernew bags work with the sawyer, but have also found no problems with the newer sawyer bags - even when slightly abusing them. They are much better than the previous sawyer bags. If you are looking to use just as a dirty water bag, I would look at the sawyer bags. They are much cheaper and at just around 20 grams- you can almost carry two for the weight of one evernew bag (in case you were worried about a sawyer bag blowout.

Odd Man Out
03-22-2014, 10:15
My sawyer squeezed leaked around the dirty water bag connection. It was annoying. I had to be careful that none of the dirty water dribbled into my clean water bottles.

After several weeks on the trail, I started hiking with another user. A surgeon who was fastidious about cleaning and maintaining his filter. He said he always pulled the washer out to clean it. I tried to pluck out what I thought was a black washer, only to find out mine didn't have a washer! It shipped without one.

I hit a hardware store in Pearisburg, got Sawyer's customer service on the line, asked them what size washer I needed, bought two, installed one, and have had no leakage problems since ...

I still have a bruise on my forehead from the "Duh!" moment tho ...

I was ordering some stuff from Amazon and came up $0.06 short of what I needed to qualify for free shipping. I searched around and found I could order a single rubber washer for exactly $0.06! Now I have a backup.

Weather-man
03-24-2014, 08:50
For what it's worth I've had 2 Evernew bags fail on me. Both have split at the joint between the bag and the threaded neck portion. I believe that I caused the failure though as I using the Sawyer for camp water and squeezed the heck out of the bags for a few weeks.

I don't see the opaque bags a negative and have switched over to the new Sawyer bags when I use a sawyer filter.

darkbyrd
03-24-2014, 23:54
I bought 2x2l - one for dirty water, one for clean, and usually it fills up my water bladder and I go on - but together it gives me 4l additional water storage if necessary, as well as a backup water bag for dirty water. I've used mine (but not through-hiker used) mine for a year with no leaks, no problems.