PDA

View Full Version : Insulated Synthetic Jacket

Sparrow2013
03-20-2014, 23:00
With REI dividend I'm planning to get a new synthetic puffy to go under hard rain shell. After 20 years, my USN one needs to go.

Looking at Revelcloud or TNF Thermoball for layer in my 3+ season setup. Any pros or cons observed with these two or others with similar weight, warmth, packability, and price? If there is a compelling alternative for one not offered at REI I can cash out in the summer and buy it elsewhere (without 20% REI coupon)

takethisbread
03-21-2014, 07:32
I bought the thermoball for my daughter. looks like it does the job, packs small for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shonryu
03-21-2014, 17:28
I'm personally not a big fan of TNF I think its way over rated and priced for what you get. Kind of the same with some of my Patagonia jackets. That and I'm not a fan of their fit. Montbell on the other hand has really impressed me. I would highly recommend their jackets. Either their thermawrap for for synthetic or their UL or EX for down. If she's using a rain shell is their a reason why your not consider down insulation? You can get some significant wait savings and more compressability. Ive herd a lot of people avoid down but ive never had an issue with it.

Tim Causa
03-22-2014, 10:23
Can't say enough good things about the arcteryx atom LT hoody.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sparrow2013
03-22-2014, 10:51
Went with the other direction with a deal I could not pass up. Patagonia Down Sweater for $68 at REI using dividend. Thanks for input.