PDA

View Full Version : Gear Acquisition - Questions so far

YesRushGen
03-21-2014, 12:07
I am presently acquiring gear for my 2015 thru attempt. So far, my list looks like this:

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=17966

My goal is a base weight of no more than 15lbs, and a max full weight of no more than 30lbs.

Some questions for the more experienced folks:

1. Are my goals realistic considering my gear choices so far?

2. Now that I've acquired the big 3, cook system and water treatment - what are the next items I should be looking at?

I appreciate any advice you can offer, thanks,

Kelly

psyon27
03-21-2014, 12:47
Just want to point a few things out you can take this however you want. I don't know about getting to a base weight of 15lbs but I do know you need to include everything you are bringing. So on that note and taking into account I'm probably some internet hiker and have no hiker cred please take into consideration the below.

Your cook system doesn't include a spoon or fork or whatever you are eating with. Also doesn't include a pot or cup or whatever you are eating out of. Or what you will use to clean said items, a scrubby, bandanna, soap whatever.

I don't have the sawyer squeeze but I don't think that weight includes the black flush plunger which you will need.

Does the weight of your tent include the stakes?

Other than that looks good from this desk lol. If you are trying to hit a specific weight you need to weigh everything. Every little part and piece of stuff that goes into the pack gets weighed. Ounces become pounds quickly.

Ken

psyon27
03-21-2014, 12:50
Oh and forgot to mention the 100g canister weighs more than 100g. I believe that is the weight of the fuel not the canister when full. Also base weight doesn't count the fuel, food, or water.

Ken

psyon27
03-21-2014, 12:57
How did you link your report? If you can explain it I will link what I have in my gear grams 3 season list. Which is inaccurate in weight as I'm estimating some things that I don't have yet and is missing a couple other things that will add at least a few ounces.

Ken

Kerosene
03-21-2014, 13:07
Your goals are certainly realistic, in that you've selected Big 4 items (pack, sleeping bag & pad, shelter) on the lighter side of the scale. Of course, everything needs to fit in that pack and still be comfortable.
As mentioned by psyon27, you're going to need to weigh everything that goes into your pack, no matter how small as it all adds up surprisingly fast. Ideally, you will be carrying no more than 20% of your bodyweight, and ideally below 15% for a solo summer outing with 3-4 days of supplies. You've got most of the heavier stuff that is expensive to buy lighter.
Think about what you're wearing also. I'm amazed at how comfortable I am backpacking in T-shirt and shorts down into the 40's, as long as the wind isn't too strong. Your internal thermostat will adjust in a few days. Keep to one set of hiking clothes (where you can add a wind-blocking hardshell as needed) and one set of camp clothes. Don't overdo the rigidity of your hiking boots if you're walking a groomed trail like the AT, but don't try to drop all the way down to trail-runners until you are a bit more familiar with the trail. In the end though, the most important thing is that your boots fit well with sufficient space in the toe box to keep your toes from scrunching together, yet a tight enough heel that it doesn't slide up and down as you walk.

YesRushGen
03-21-2014, 13:47
How did you link your report?

Ken

In the geargrams app, first select a specific Gear List, second click Report, third click "copy URL to clipboard" button. (That botton is on the bottom row, near where the import/export buttons are) I found that if you don't do it in this order, you end up with an "?id=null" in the URL - which won't work!

psyon27
03-21-2014, 13:55
Thanks!

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=15916

Blam done. Like I said this list is incomplete even though it is long, ie not a final list. It also has estimations so once I get everything the weight will be different and will be updated. It is also a 3 season list which if you are doing a thru I have been told is what you need at least for portions of the trail.

Ken

Ronnwell
03-21-2014, 14:04
My goal is a base weight of no more than 15lbs, and a max full weight of no more than 30lbs.

Some questions for the more experienced folks:

1. Are my goals realistic considering my gear choices so far?

2. Now that I've acquired the big 3, cook system and water treatment - what are the next items I should be looking at?

I appreciate any advice you can offer, thanks,

Kelly

1. Yes, definitely

2. Rain Gear & Insulation (base layers, wind shirts, down jackets/vests, etc). Depending on your requirement for the environment you plan to hike in, that could be another 2 to 3 pounds right there.

HooKooDooKu
03-21-2014, 14:07
Your cook system doesn't include a spoon or fork or whatever you are eating with. Also doesn't include a pot or cup or whatever you are eating out of. Or what you will use to clean said items, a scrubby, bandanna, soap whatever.

Because you've got the JetBoil, you've obviously got your "pot or cup". But in addition to someone pointing out that you need to include the weight of an empty fuel canister, you also need to include something to light that stove when the pezo-igniter quits working (matches, bic lighter, magnesium stick).

I don't have the sawyer squeeze but I don't think that weight includes the black flush plunger which you will need.
What about a water containers. You are going to need something to put the water in before it goes thru the filter... and once it's thru the filter, you need something to put it in.

You've got a backpack, now you need some way to keep it (or at least your gear inside it like your sleeping bag) dry. Are you going to try to use a rain cover or instead use a pack liner (like a garbage bag or trash compactor bag for something that will last a little longer).

First-aid. How much and what are you going to carry. Seems like some carry a bandaid and two asprin. Others have a little bit of everything. For example, my first aid kit I take on any out-of-town trip, bike rides, and hiking trips includes: Asprin, pepto-bysmal (and/or Imodium), benadryl, bandaids, neosporine, wound wipes, burn jell, sting-ease, small bandages, tape, tweezers (ticks), nail clippers, dosage instructions, and probably a dozen other things.

Toiletries? What are you going to do to keep your back-side clean, and how are you going to create cat-holes? What about brushing your teeth?

What's going to be your clothing layers? At some point, you're likely to face temperatures as low as 20º (and lower depending upon how early you start) and as high as 100º+. You're also going to have days where you'll be hiking in the rain.

What about shoes/boots. Some need the support of high ankle boots, others like to go lighter weight with trail runners.

Hiking poles. They might not seem like a requirement now, but once you start hiking up and down hills over rough terrain, you'll quickly understand their benefit. Do you use two poles (i.e. ski pole design)? Do you use just one (I like having at least one hand free at all times).

Odd Man Out
03-21-2014, 14:15
What kind of camera is that? Unless it is pretty high end and that is important to you, your cell phone pics will probably be comparable. The low-end camera market is being replaced by cell phone cameras. More efforts are now going into high-end pocket and compact cameras for enthusiasts who want/need those features.

That bucket is a brick. Do you really need 12L? AGG make a 1 gallon water bag for only 0.6 oz.
http://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/hydration/antigravitygear-1-gallon-water-bag/

YesRushGen
03-21-2014, 14:21
As mentioned by psyon27, you're going to need to weigh everything .... Ideally, you will be carrying no more than 20% of your bodyweight, and ideally below 15% for a solo summer outing with 3-4 days of supplies

I will be adding items to the geargrams list as my gear list continues to grow. Your suggested percentages are good news. 15% is 25.5lbs for me and 20% is 34lbs.

Think about what you're wearing also. .... Keep to one set of hiking clothes (where you can add a wind-blocking hardshell as needed) and one set of camp clothes. .... hiking boots ..... trail-runners ..... the most important thing is that your boots fit well with sufficient space in the toe box to keep your toes from scrunching together, yet a tight enough heel that it doesn't slide up and down as you walk.

I think clothing is where I'm hitting a brick wall. There are so many different options to chose from. I get the advantage of shorts and t-shirts especially in hot weather. But I've seen a few here who prefer really lightweight long pants and long sleeve shirts for added insect protection. As for the outer layer, I'm wondering if Marmot Precips would be an appropriate choice? I'm asking since I already own a set!

I already have a pair of hiking boots that I like - but they are pretty heavy. I like the ankle support afforded by boots. However, my local outfitter suggests trail runners anyway - he claims that my ankles will develop their own support as I hike more and more.

Mags
03-21-2014, 14:40
It is good you are getting your BPW on the lower side. Make sure you go out there and use it between now and next year to see if it works for you. A lot of times something that looks good on a spread sheet does not work as well for a person in the real world. :)

Kerosene
03-21-2014, 15:07
I already have a pair of hiking boots that I like - but they are pretty heavy. I like the ankle support afforded by boots. However, my local outfitter suggests trail runners anyway - he claims that my ankles will develop their own support as I hike more and more.I probably have the weakest ankles of anyone on this site (I once sprained an ankle standing in the middle of an indoor soccer field with no one within 15 yards of me)! Let me assure you that your boots don't provide any appreciable ankle protection (I've sprained an ankle wearing mid-height boots also); they do however provide a bit of 'early warning' that you're starting to turn your ankle. You can improve ankle strength with exercise, and improve your proprioception (https://www.google.com/#q=define+proprioception) at the same time. Even then you might not want to drop all the way down to trail runners, especially if you have sensitive feet (like me) and are walking a rocky trail where the continual pounding can actually bruise the soles of your feet (or toes if you don't pick up your feet!). I now use lightweight trail shoes (Inov8 or Montrail) with a bit more substance to them. I also finally dropped the waterproof boots for 3-season hiking, much to the benefit of my perennially sweaty feet.

Nooga
03-21-2014, 15:17
I may be reading your spreadsheet incorrectly, but you show the Lightheart Solong 6 Cuben at 41oz, which seems heavy to me, even if you include stakes and groundcloth. You may want to double check this.

Starchild
03-21-2014, 15:26
Base weight = nothin' but bragging rights
What you lump on your back is what counts.

There are some things that would increase base weight but lower the weight you actually carry.

So do you want bragging rights or a lighter pack?

YesRushGen
03-21-2014, 15:32
I may be reading your spreadsheet incorrectly, but you show the Lightheart Solong 6 Cuben at 41oz, which seems heavy to me, even if you include stakes and groundcloth. You may want to double check this.

Thanks. I will re-weigh and update this evening if needed. Stakes and groundcloth were included - as were dedicated poles. The dedicated poles alone are like 8oz, so that may be the discrepancy. (I don't plan on taking those on my thru) Also, I have two awnings and two doors, so that would add a little weight too.

CHRISTINE2015
03-21-2014, 17:04
I'm preparing to hike 2015 too, and I'm wondering does "base weight" include the clothes you're wearing or just the ones you're carrying?

Kerosene
03-21-2014, 17:19
I'm preparing to hike 2015 too, and I'm wondering does "base weight" include the clothes you're wearing or just the ones you're carrying?Just the clothes you're carrying. The stuff you're wearing is part of your FSO (From Skin Out) weight.

As Starchild notes, what is most important is the total weight you're lugging around, with all food and supplies. You can have a fairly low base weight but if you insist on carrying 6 liters of water and 7 days of food then that's going to be one heavy pack.

mountain squid
03-21-2014, 17:21
I am presently acquiring gear for my 2015 thru attempt.Looks like good advice, so far. My suggestion would be to schedule a trip to Trail Days (http://www.traildays.us/) this year. Not only will there be lots of gear vendors there, but numerous hikers as well. I'm sure you will have no problems finding someone willing to dish out gear advice . . . . plus you'll get the chance to test out what you already have . . . .

See you on the trail (next year),
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)
how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

rafe
03-21-2014, 17:32
15/30 is a reasonable, achievable goal, IMO, for mostly-summer conditions on the AT. A list on paper is just the starting point. Once you've actually used the kit, on the trail, and wrung it out somewhat -- then you've got something to shout about.

Big Dawg
03-21-2014, 17:40
Deleted,,,,,,,,,,,,