PDA

View Full Version : A Story

Drybones
03-21-2014, 20:39
The wife returned from a visit to our daughter and family in Tampa, we have a 3-yr old grandson. I often spend a week at their house coming home from a month on the trail, cheap air fair but requires a week layover in Tampa which works out well. Wife came home with a story. First off, the grandson calls me Poppy. The son-in-law and grandson were returning from the zoo and stopped at a red light, there was a homeless man at the curb, the grandson asked "can we take him home", dad says no and pulls away, the grandson asks "why can't we take Poppy home with us"...the son-in-law said he didn't look as bad as I when I when I come off the trail.

Feral Bill
03-21-2014, 20:42
No, No dear, Poppy has Gore Tex.

Drybones
03-21-2014, 20:55
No, No dear, Poppy has Gore Tex.

No Goretex for me, own a bunch of it but have learned it's not for me, use a $19.95 Academy rain jacket, $45 trail runners, and a compactor bag pack cover...bet there's a lot we could all learn about real survival from spending a few weeks with a homeless person.

kayak karl
03-21-2014, 20:55
i was sitting on the boardwalk outside Bally's in AC (where i had a room) and a guy dropped coins in my coffee. i was just back from a 60 day hike. :)

Just Bill
03-21-2014, 20:59
No Goretex for me, own a bunch of it but have learned it's not for me, use a $19.95 Academy rain jacket, $45 trail runners, and a compactor bag pack cover...bet there's a lot we could all learn about real survival from spending a few weeks with a homeless person.

Good tale, lol- on a related note-
http://www.amazon.com/Browns-Guide-Suburban-Survival-Field/dp/0425091724

fiddlehead
03-21-2014, 22:10
Was dumpster diving in Salida, CDT '98, for a piece of cardboard to make a sign to get back to the trail.
A guy saw us and offered a loaf of bread.
My partner got a little mad.
I just thought it very funny.

Feral Bill
03-21-2014, 22:13
No Goretex for me, own a bunch of it but have learned it's not for me, use a $19.95 Academy rain jacket, $45 trail runners, and a compactor bag pack cover...bet there's a lot we could all learn about real survival from spending a few weeks with a homeless person. I stand corrected. Clever kid.

Trailweaver
03-22-2014, 01:25
After a 20 mile or so kayak paddle ending in our town, a friend of mine left his kayak with others and walked up to the nearby BBQ restaurant (streetside, picnic table style). A woman approached him and offered to buy his lunch, saying that she hoped "times would get better for him and he wouldn't be homeless for long."