PDA

View Full Version : Closest trailhead to Philadelphia

Hiking2015
03-22-2014, 07:49
Just starting out as an overnight hiker and also new to the AT. I will be traveling from Indiana to Philadelphia for business and would like to extended my stay to hike on the trail. Where is the nearest trail head? Suggestions on shuttles and parking?

Malto
03-22-2014, 08:01
Delaware Water Gap or Wind Gap would likely be the easiest. I would suggest DWG since Wind Gap is in the heart of the PA rocks, no reason to start with that. heading north out of DWG would be my suggestion.

kayak karl
03-22-2014, 08:17
traveling south to the trail north of Harpers ferry (Gathland, MD) is another option

bobp
03-22-2014, 08:41
Philly is pretty badly situated for AT access. I will very slightly disagree with Malto about the merits of Wind Gap vs. DWG. There isn't a great way to get to either place from Philly, but Wind Gap is along the way to DWG on most of those routes (PA tpk to NE Ext to I78 to PA 33 to I80 to DWG is probably the best, and the AT crosses under PA33 at Wind Gap). NJ and PA in this area suffer from a lack of North-South roads. The PA Tpk NE ext is about the only pure N-S freeway connecting Philly to I80. The NJ Tpk has too much West-East travel to count. So, if you go North from DWG, you still have a problem getting back to Philly. If you get dropped @DWG and head to Wind Gap, the trip back to Philly is no worse than the trip up. DWG to Wind Gap is a decent day hike, and you might stretch it to an overnighter if you take it easy (Nelson Vista by Kirkridge Shelter is a lovely camping spot). Good luck and enjoy!

Second Half
03-22-2014, 08:55
For a dramatic introduction to the trail, take the NE Turnpike extension (I-476) north to the Lehighton exit. You can park along the trail just south of Palmerton. Hike north.

Hang R
03-22-2014, 10:34
Depending on how long you want to hike for you could go to the Hamburg area and hike to the Pinnacle and Pulpit along the AT. There are numerous side trails in the area where you could hike through the Hawk Mountain Sanctuary and other side trails which would allow you to do a loop hike and not worry about getting a shuttle back to your car.

PM me and let me know when you are planning in being in town. I live less than an hour outside of Philly and I am planning on some hikes in the area this year and I may be able to pick you up and get you to the trail.

Hiking2015
03-22-2014, 11:11
I will look into these areas,thank you everyone for your help.

jfconnolly2
03-22-2014, 17:54
I can say from experience that Delaware Water Gap is further than the Pinnacle. Both are great places to go, but if you're looking for a day or short hike, the Pinnacle is your best bet. Probably my favorite hike in Pennsylvania.

chall
03-23-2014, 12:31
Depending on how long you want to hike for you could go to the Hamburg area and hike to the Pinnacle and Pulpit along the AT. There are numerous side trails in the area where you could hike through the Hawk Mountain Sanctuary and other side trails which would allow you to do a loop hike and not worry about getting a shuttle back to your car.

PM me and let me know when you are planning in being in town. I live less than an hour outside of Philly and I am planning on some hikes in the area this year and I may be able to pick you up and get you to the trail.

This is what I was going to suggest.

ki0eh
03-23-2014, 17:40
If you happen to be driving from Indiana to Philadelphia, I would presume you would be following the PA Turnpike (I-76) which crosses the A.T. just east of Carlisle, and west of Harrisburg, in the Cumberland Valley (Trail-wise, between Boiling Springs and Duncannon).

goin'4ahike
03-23-2014, 18:46
309 to Lehigh Gap is about 14 miles. Great section in Pa with shelters, campsites, fun sections like Knife' s Edge and hiking across 476/turnpike, plus great vistas like Bake Oven Knob, Baer Rocks, etc.

Call Ken, the owner of Blue Mountain Summit, an inn & restaurant steps from the trail. He will let you park your vehicle in his lot right on 309 (safe location) and he will drive you to Lehigh Gap from which you can hike/backpack....staying at a shelter or campsite for a night...right back to the Inn. Since you are a beginner, two 7 miles days wouldn't be bad. At the end of the 2nd day when you arrive back at the Inn, you could grab dinner there before heading out. Awesome food!

bluemountainsummit.com

goin'4ahike
03-23-2014, 18:51
309 to Lehigh Gap is about 14 miles. Great section in Pa with shelters, campsites, fun sections like Knife' s Edge and hiking across 476/turnpike, plus great vistas like Bake Oven Knob, Baer Rocks, etc.

Call Ken, the owner of Blue Mountain Summit, an inn & restaurant steps from the trail. He will let you park your vehicle in his lot right on 309 (safe location) and he will drive you to Lehigh Gap from which you can hike/backpack....staying at a shelter or campsite for a night...right back to the Inn. Since you are a beginner, two 7 miles days wouldn't be bad. At the end of the 2nd day when you arrive back at the Inn, you could grab dinner there before heading out. Awesome food!

bluemountainsummit.com

Forgot to mention, Ken was charging $1/mile about a year ago to drive (you) to Lehigh Gap.
Blue Mountain Summit inn is about 1 - 1.5 hrs from Philly depending on where you are coming from.

roughdrafts
03-24-2014, 16:22
If you don't want to drive, Greyhound has an early morning bus from Philly to Stroudsburg (Delaware Water Gap). The station is about a mile's walk from the AT. I took the bus there in the fall, hiked north to High Point State Park over 3 days, then caught a ride to the Port Jervis train station for the return trip to Philly. It worked pretty well and I'd recommend it for any non-drivers out there.

GoldenBear
03-24-2014, 17:39
If you don't want to drive, Greyhound has an early morning bus from Philly to Stroudsburg (Delaware Water Gap). The station is about a mile's walk from the AT. I took the bus there in the fall, hiked north to High Point State Park over 3 days, then caught a ride to the Port Jervis train station for the return trip to Philly. It worked pretty well and I'd recommend it for any non-drivers out there.Or you could do the opposite.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php?7933-High-Point-down-to-Delaware-Water-Gap-Part-1

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?82662-Delaware-Water-Gap-parking&p=1487840&highlight=#post1487840