PDA

View Full Version : Take a seat!

loners4me
03-22-2014, 09:49
Looking for ideas to relax around camp. Specifically where to sit at the end of the day. Dont really want to spend the $$ or carry the weight of a stool. When the days done and your legs are trashed, where do you relax? On the ground? Rock? Makeshift stump?

Old Hiker
03-22-2014, 10:02
Find a tree, unroll my closed-cell pad and sit against it for breaks and meals.

Camp time - unroll, use for a meal, go to bed.

Nooga
03-22-2014, 10:05

Agree. Just carry a small closed cell sit pad.

Damn Yankee
03-22-2014, 10:19
They make a small kneeling pad for gardeners which is made of closed cell but about 1" thick and just right for sitting. You can find these at any home store

saltysack
03-22-2014, 10:28
I use a cut down zlite for sit pad and dog bed at night. Wife uses the rest of zlite as she's short..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoss Cat
03-22-2014, 12:35
I use a z-lite/z-seat sit pad. It is also handy to kneel on around camp. I also fold it in half to put my stuff sack/pillow on to add some lift and to keep it from sliding around.

ChinMusic
03-22-2014, 13:23
Little sit pad for the AT is all you need.

For social trips I have taken my Slinglight chair: http://slinglight.com/sl/ There is even a pic of me using one on their page here: http://slinglight.com/sl/?page_id=98

As I have gotten older I have found that it is harder and harder to sit that low.

I recently purchased a Flexlite chair from REI that is a bit higher and 10oz heavier. http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair#reviewsTab I especially like how it folds up and I can carry it inside my pack instead of hanging it off the back like the Slinglight. The weight is not an issue for me on these social/weekend trips.

tiptoe
03-22-2014, 13:25
In dry weather, my old North Face Venture rain jacket does double duty as a sit pad if I'm not wearing it as a windbreaker. Otherwise, I just sit on a rock or a tree stump, or on the ground.

Slo-go'en
03-22-2014, 16:11
There are pleanty of things to sit on along the AT, but they are often wet so the sitting pad is a very good thing to have. A mouse pad work good too, but it is a little small. I use a piece of CCF big enough to stand on.

devil dog
03-22-2014, 17:34
Cant seem to upload my photo of some custom wicker seats ... two bigger pieces of wood with some small pieces across as the seat. By the time your ready for bed the seat is gone!:cool:

Drybones
03-22-2014, 17:40

+1..........................

Drybones
03-22-2014, 17:42
I have a piece of Tyvek I carry to sit on as well as a foam pad, keeps my butt and legs dry but more important it keeps me from losing stuff I take out of my pack.

snorz
03-22-2014, 17:51
I use an inflatable thermarest. Deflated,it rolls up and protects my reading glasses.

scudder
03-22-2014, 19:45
i relax in a hammock. very comfy!

ChinMusic
03-22-2014, 19:59
#14 in the pool - Come to the pay window............

Sandy of PA
03-22-2014, 21:53
I sit on my bear can with the foam backpanel of my pack on top.

Spirit Walker
03-22-2014, 22:42
I sit on my Ridgerest sleeping pad and lean against my pack against a tree. No need to carry anything extra.

garlic08
03-23-2014, 07:58

Yet another vote for this.

daddytwosticks
03-23-2014, 12:39
i relax in a hammock. very comfy!
On relaxing section hikes where I'm not too concerned with weight, I carry a lightweight hammock to lounge around and nap in, NOT sleep in overnight. Nothing like taking a short lunchtime snooze in one on a warm afternoon. Weighs about a pound, including the suspension. :)

4eyedbuzzard
03-23-2014, 13:34
This > https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Accessory/CycloneSLChairKit

Oak88
03-23-2014, 16:14
I used the Z lite sit pad for my bony ... It was great sitting on hard wet rocks, wet logs, and the ground. Folds up nice and was always accessible on the outside of my pack. I frequently got asked if it was my sleeping pad. I left it on a tree one day and a wonderful woman caught up with me on top of Killington with my sit pad.

HooKooDooKu
03-24-2014, 01:21
Ditto.

I just bought one of those $15 blue pads at WalMart. There's enough to make several sit pads. Gives you a dry place to sit when everything else is damp around you, gives enough padding for sitting on irregular surfaces (rocks), and doubles as a fan for fanning the flames of a camp fire. You can punch a hole in one corner, tie a small piece of cord to the pad and get a tiny carabiner to hook it to the outside of your pack.

slbirdnerd
03-24-2014, 07:59
Get a $5 car windshield sunscreen and cut a square big enough for your butt. Tape the unfinished edges with Duct tape. Lights, cheap, easy, keeps butt dry and possibly warm... Easy to replace especially when Boy Scout loses it on next hike. :)

Ktaadn
03-24-2014, 11:35
I keep copied pages from my guidebook in a 1 gallon ziplock bag. I'll sit on that to eat sometimes. If I'm sitting down to check the guidebook, then sometimes I'll sit on my folded rain pants.

Hiker8261
03-26-2014, 21:32
If you use a piece of a foam pad, take a giant Sharpie and write "HIKER TO TOWN" on one side and "HIKER TO TRAIL" on the other big enough for a driver to see it from a distance. I saw someone with one of those and they said it helped with rides.

chris

bigcranky
03-27-2014, 21:31
That is freaking brilliant and I am going to get a sharpie and write on my sit pad this weekend. Thanks for the idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

slbirdnerd
03-28-2014, 12:09
If you use a piece of a foam pad, take a giant Sharpie and write "HIKER TO TOWN" on one side and "HIKER TO TRAIL" on the other big enough for a driver to see it from a distance. I saw someone with one of those and they said it helped with rides.

chris

I saw that too, on a bandana. Genius!

bamboo bob
03-28-2014, 12:19
Stop - put up tent- cook while squating or sitting on anything at all for the time it takes to scarf down "meal" get in tent - get in bag - sleep -get up- pee-walk -repeat.

Not much sitting in a day.

tsgosnell
03-28-2014, 12:59
Dollar store gardening knee pad, also use it to put down under my pack if the ground is really wet, helps keep water off the backside when putting pack back on

flemdawg1
03-28-2014, 15:29
My hammock makes an awesome seat. Great dual use item. If I want to sit in it and be abit social, I'll prop up one side of my tarp with hiking poles, or just leave the tarp down until night or weather dictates.

Mick3y
03-28-2014, 23:30
I use an 11x18 closed cell pad from Home Depot. Cost me a whopping $6 and works perfect to add a "frame" to my frameless pack