PDA

View Full Version : Paleo Trail "Pancakes" idea

Demeter
03-22-2014, 12:50
I have been messing around with different comfort food recipes. You have to use your imagination a little bit, but if you are determined to eat healthier, this may be for you... Very easy; FBC method.

Nut-flour Trail Pancakes with Maple Syrup Recipe (http://demeters-dish.blogspot.com/2014/03/trail-pancakes-with-maplesyrup-wheat.html)

Rocket Jones
03-22-2014, 13:56
Good idea!

Odd Man Out
03-22-2014, 14:54
Sounds nice, although I don't ever feel guilty eating pancakes.

Dogwood
03-22-2014, 16:31
I like this idea of making some healthier bread ahead of time to take on short hikes or if one has access to a kitchen on a longer hike or possibly making some pancakes w/ real maple syrup but I'll offer another perspective. I already include almond meal, coconut flake and dried coconut milk, and flaxseed meal to trail dishes(chili, rice and beans, Caribbean, Middle Eastern, Indian, and Asian inspired dinners) including that dreaded oatmeal with no need to get into anything else other than boiling some water.

nastynate
03-22-2014, 19:05
You can make wonderful pancakes with 2 eggs and a ripe banana whipped together and cooked in a bit of oil. Not freeze dried but would be great for the first or second morning out of town.

myakka_
03-22-2014, 19:12
I like these ideas folks. Keep good recipes coming!

Mrs Baggins
03-22-2014, 19:41
For God's sake just eat real food!! You need the FAT and the CALORIES!!!

myakka_
03-22-2014, 19:58
Yes, you need the fat! You do not need to load up on refined sugars or gluten.

Sarcasm the elf
03-22-2014, 20:08

I am by no means a follower of the paleo diet (I'm Italian/Irish for Pete's sake! There's no way I'm doing without pasta, bread or Potatos), but I have to admit that it is one of the better fad diets that I've seen in my lifetime. It emphasizes eating a diet of fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts and meat, while cutting out processed foods and added sugar. I take issue with the diet's philosophy that you should cut out grains and natural starch as well, but I have to admit that the paleo diet is still healthier than what 90% of the population eats.

Mrs Baggins
03-22-2014, 21:16
Eat real food. All things in moderation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/best-diets-of-2014/

nastynate
03-22-2014, 21:17
Calling out the paleo diet for not being "real food" with fat and calories is ignorance. I don't follow it myself, but it's the epitome of real food, healthy fats, and plenty of calories. Is it sustainable on a long hike? It would be hard, heavy, and expensive compared to ramen and poptarts. But you can't deny the health benefits of cutting out processed foods and refined sugars.

Mrs Baggins
03-22-2014, 21:17
http://theweek.com/article/index/254733/the-paleo-diet-is-a-horrible-way-to-start-the-new-year

Mrs Baggins
03-22-2014, 21:20
Calling out the paleo diet for not being "real food" with fat and calories is ignorance. I don't follow it myself, but it's the epitome of real food, healthy fats, and plenty of calories. Is it sustainable on a long hike? It would be hard, heavy, and expensive compared to ramen and poptarts. But you can't deny the health benefits of cutting out processed foods and refined sugars.

I do that without following some prescribed "diet". Just buy real food in the store. I cook with fruit, veggies, pasta, olive oil, herbs, REAL butter, cream, and eggs, all meats that are not "processed." I refuse to be controlled by some "diet" madness. Just eat.

myakka_
03-22-2014, 21:38
Okay. since I am pretty new here I hesitate to sound snippy, but let me say this................. Why do people jump into threads with no intent but to criticize and complain?

This thread was started with a recipe. And now it has been derailed into a debate about diets. In my opinion if you don't like paleo, then stay out of a paleo recipe thread.

I have posted, and will again post an article that lists MULTIPLE studies about the health benefits of this diet. The only people I hear attacking it are doing it out of ignorance. They don't know what the diet is and isn't. And they don't have ANY studies that find any fault in it.
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3321471/)
But put that aside..... Why do you feel a need to stir *****? I am not telling you that you have to eat Paleo, because you are a grown person and can make your own choice. If you start a thread about a recipe that doesn't fit my diet, I don't jump in and attack you for it. So why do the uneducated haters feel the need to do this here?

In this case, and in most cases, if the content of a thread isn't in your interest, then move along. There will be plenty of other threads right?

WingedMonkey
03-23-2014, 13:58
What folks consider "paleo" has more meanings that what folks think makes a real thru-hike.

:sun

myakka_
03-23-2014, 14:34
Can we add to HYOH EYOF? Eat your own food? And keep the paleo recipe coolness coming for those of us who are grown adults and choose to eat this way? (and for those gluten allergic folks who have no choice?) Thanks!

Dogwood
03-23-2014, 17:24
I'm not totally bashing your opinion Mrs B because your perspective has merit but all those ingredients listed in the OP's listed recipe link, although perhaps not commonly known, are REAL FOODS.

Dogwood
03-23-2014, 17:44
Here's what is so damn misleading and such a contradictory and incorrect statement with no carbs/low carbs diet fads and the associated reporting on these types of diets. From your link Mrs B, http://www.cbsnews.com/news/best-diets-of-2014/ here's this paragraph:

The Paleo Diet (http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/paleo-diet) is based on the theory that humans were meant to eat like their ancestors, and not made to eat processed foods and products with carbohydrates. If you cut out refined sugar, dairy, legumes and grains, and instead chow down on meat, fish, poultry, fruits and vegetables, the diet purports that you'll be able to ward off excessive weight gain, Type 2 diabetes and heart disease

These reporters have little idea what they are talking about and even some diet book authors mislead when they say things like avoid carbohydrates but chow down on fruits and vegetables for the majority of cals in fruits and vegetable are in the form of carbohydrates. Any reporter or diet author that makes no distinction between highly processed simple carbs often with a high glycemic index and complex carbs associated with fruits and vegetables and, YES even some grains, is ignoring an IMPORTANT carbohydrate distinction!

winger
03-23-2014, 21:42
Glad to see Demeter on this website, she has a good YouTube channel, albeit still in its infancy.

devil dog
03-24-2014, 10:59
You can make wonderful pancakes with 2 eggs and a ripe banana whipped together and cooked in a bit of oil. Not freeze dried but would be great for the first or second morning out of town.

You can also add some sunflower butter to the mix and it tastes great!

myakka_
03-24-2014, 13:00
Farm fresh eggs that have never been refrigerated will stay fresh for weeks to months at a time with no refrigeration as long as you don't allow them to heat and cooltoo much. Also, you can coat them in mineral oil to increase how long they will stay fresh.

I am taking a dozen eggs with me camping with no cooler. (I have a plastic "case" that is made for carrying 12 eggs and weighs ounces)

So if you don't mind the weight, you can carry fresh eggs and a few bananas and do this all down the trail. (coconut oil doesn't need cooling either.)

Dogwood
03-24-2014, 16:20

Yes, you need the fat! You do not need to load up on refined sugars or gluten.

You can also add some sunflower butter to the mix and it tastes great!

When you add the almond meal(ground dried almonds @ 160 cal/oz), coconut flake(205 cals/oz), sunflower butter(about 160 cal/oz), shelled hempseed(tons of all the essential amino acids(protein), 165 cals/oz), etc you are cranking up the fat and cal/oz ratios AND lots of other great nutritional things while also adding in texture and some great flavors with REAL FOOD. You could try another nut butter too like almond butter(Justins makes 1.15 oz squeezable packs, delish on pancakes and as a topping in oatmeal or crackers or with some fresh veggies, hazlenut butter(again Justins makes those same size packs with a tasty chocolate hazelnut butter, cashew butter(Artisana brand is one), macadamia nut butter(Artisana again), walnut butter(Artisana makes a good walnut butter), etc. Myakka, you might try some gluten free crackers with some gluten free Tahini(sesame seed paste) or gluten free Hummus(buy the dried then you have the options to reconstitute w/ olive oils and/or water) too.

Wise Old Owl
03-29-2014, 18:25
Okay. since I am pretty new here I hesitate to sound snippy, but let me say this................. Why do people jump into threads with no intent but to criticize and complain?

This thread was started with a recipe. And now it has been derailed into a debate about diets. In my opinion if you don't like paleo, then stay out of a paleo recipe thread.

I have posted, and will again post an article that lists MULTIPLE studies about the health benefits of this diet. The only people I hear attacking it are doing it out of ignorance. They don't know what the diet is and isn't. And they don't have ANY studies that find any fault in it.
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3321471/)
But put that aside..... Why do you feel a need to stir *****? I am not telling you that you have to eat Paleo, because you are a grown person and can make your own choice. If you start a thread about a recipe that doesn't fit my diet, I don't jump in and attack you for it. So why do the uneducated haters feel the need to do this here?

In this case, and in most cases, if the content of a thread isn't in your interest, then move along. There will be plenty of other threads right?

Most questions get good answers by the first or second page - folks love to drift into other conversations... I suggest that there is nothing wrong with a little drift, you are always welcome to quote the first page to put it back on track. Or you can start a new thread, on this or another topic... sometimes thou a mod may combine the threads back together.

After a thought I went back to look at what you mentioned, The thread IMO is mislabeled, the recipe is sound - but Wheat goes back the Egyptians. Not sure what Paleo has anything to do with this at all Wheat is an original GMO!

Wheat – since the beginning of civilization

http://www.allaboutwheat.info/images/rockpainting.gif (http://www.allaboutwheat.info/history.html#)Wheat grain has been used for thousands of years to provide food for humans. Wheat has been found in pits where human settlements flourished over 8,000 years ago. In the British Museum, you can see actual loaves that were made and baked in Egypt over 5,000 years ago.
Wheat is the product of a cross between three different grass species which is reputed to have happened about 10,000 B.C.

Demeter
04-05-2014, 10:32
again Justins makes those same size packs with a tasty chocolate hazelnut butter, cashew butter(Artisana brand is one), macadamia nut butter(Artisana again), walnut butter(Artisana makes a good walnut butter

Dogwood, I have a post and Youtube video t (http://demeters-dish.blogspot.com/2014/02/homemade-energy-gel-packets.html)hat shows how to make your own packets of your favorite nut butter, ghee, etc. Making and sealing your own bulk butters is very easy and much more cost effective than the individual packages. I have been trying to replace my fav quick breakfast on the trail (raw oatmeal, honey, and p.b.) maybe some nut and fruit granola with or coconut flakes mixed with nut butter and honey. Hmmmm. The brain is thinking!

Wheat goes back the Egyptians. Not sure what Paleo has anything to do with this at all Wheat is an original GMO!

..about 10,000 B.C.

Wise Old Owl, you are quite correct about the origins of wheat. However, the Paleo diet arrived earlier than the culture of cereal grains for sustenance. Like Dawn-of-Man earlier.

I am a forager, and promise you that grains are not easy at all to harvest or process by hand. The inclusion of grains in the paleo diet was certainly likely. But we are talking handsful of grains per week or month, not per day. Our late paleolithic ancestors in Wadi Kubbaniya used barley and other grains as early as 18,000 b.c., but they were a small part of a diet that was comprised mostly of plants and animals.

I subscribe to theory that our bodies were designed to eat like a forager/ hunter/ gatherer, and not a farmer; a variety of foods that are provided from the earth.

Personally, I prefer to include a small amount of grain in my diet as beer :-)

squeezebox
04-05-2014, 11:22
If you are bad mouthing gluetin and claiming coeliac disease. get some info.
Once we domesticated animals and started making gruel out of their feed for ourselves we have been eating gluetin. This recent anti-glutein is as crazy as non- diabetics following testing 4 times a day just because diabetes exists . If you do not have the disease you don't have to follow the parameters.
Get real !! Get a real life !!

Hot Flash
04-05-2014, 11:41
"Paleo" diet is a crock. Almost none of it is actually based on what our ancestors would have truly been eating, and the whole idea that we haven't evolved to eat some of the things we currently do is a load of horse****.

Eat anything you want, just do it in healthful amounts and make sure you get all the right things included in your diet. But don't have any illusions that you NEED to eat like a caveman.

Science, not fantasy.

Wise Old Owl
04-05-2014, 11:53
If you are bad mouthing gluetin and claiming coeliac disease. get some info.
Once we domesticated animals and started making gruel out of their feed for ourselves we have been eating gluetin. This recent anti-glutein is as crazy as non- diabetics following testing 4 times a day just because diabetes exists . If you do not have the disease you don't have to follow the parameters.
Get real !! Get a real life !!

I have spent time with two people that really have Gluten issues - after multiple trips to the hospital and doctors they finally got some answers - It works for them, and I am not sure abstinence is the answer. Our immune systems are wired to take on heavy issues and in the lack of big troubles the system creates others. But I agree most of this is just that - hype. Short for Hypochondriac's

I guess my point is have a "little" understanding here.

squeezebox
04-05-2014, 12:39
the other side of the coin is , when you do exercise etc. way beyond what you usually do, sub- clinical allergies can become clinical, because of the extra stress. So pay attention when you're on the trail, and do not make stupid assumptions.

MTn music
04-05-2014, 14:14
Nice one! Thanks for sharing :)

myakka_
04-05-2014, 14:21
I will tell my wife the next time she gets the screaming *****s from eating gluten that you said celiacs is a crock. I am sure it will be a comfort to her.

We didn't start eating this way then look for a justification. She had an ongoing illness that seemed to be related to what she ate. So we started eliminating the foods that triggered her reactions. Way into it she changed doctors to one that was in med school IN the last 50 years and he did the tests that confirmed celiacs.

When internet "experts" spout off about stuff they have no clue of, it is usually either laughable OR offensive. some of the paleo haters in this thread achieved both in one post.

Pedaling Fool
04-05-2014, 15:36
Celiac disease is definitely a real disease as is other auto-immune system disease. However, to say it's caused by wheat is wrong; if it were that easy then they would have figured it out now. One popular theory is our lack of parasites which, in a sense, train our immune systems. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/helminthic-therapy-mucus/

On the flip side, there are people that claim to be irritated by the gluten in wheat, but most of them are probably victims of the power of suggestion. Although, I wouldn't be too surprised if there was some middle ground between suffering from Celiac disease and someone not well suited to digest gluten, but most I'm sure are just following a fad.

Another thing to consider is that our way of life has gotten so successful in keeping people alive that we see more people with natural defects that would have died in another time in our history. However, there is no one answer to all these issues/diseases, but people seem to want a simple one-solution answer.

Pedaling Fool
04-05-2014, 16:08
BTW, I just realized that it seems like the gluten-free diet is being linked with paleo diet, as if they are synonymous, as far as I know they are not and have two completely different origins. Correct?

I understand that paleo-enthusiasts jump on it because our ancestors didn't eat gluten is such quantities, but they didn't eat a lot of stuff in the quantities that we do.

If you want to eat true paleo you first must pick a time frame and a location; Eskimos ate a much differnt diet than Indians further south.

However, whatever you choose it will inevitably include a bunch of eyeballs and guts and bones. Also don't eat any of our modern fruits and veggies, because they are not natural, rather you need to go out and forage. And bugs better be on the menu.

WingedMonkey
04-05-2014, 16:46
If you want to eat true paleo you first must pick a time frame and a location; Eskimos ate a much differnt diet than Indians further south.

I think that is my gripe with the big paleo umbrella.

If you want to avoid wheat, that's between you and your doctor.

But to include so many foods from so many distinct places on earth as a paleo diet just doesn't fit my understanding of plant and human histories.

Folks wanna eat honey and call it paleo, but there was no honey in the America's. They want to eat maple syrup and call it paleo, but there was no maple syrup outside of a small (very small) section of what is now America. There was no coconut oil or olive oil what in the so-called the New World. And no Tomatoes or potatoes or peppers in what is now Europe.

There were no dozen eggs to eat at one time, just what few bird nests were found in a short season, in a small locality.

And for sure there was no baking soda on any side of the planet (as called for in the pancake recipe).

:p

rafe
04-05-2014, 17:11
Folks wanna eat honey and call it paleo, but there was no honey in the America's.
There were no dozen eggs to eat at one time, just what few bird nests were found in a short season, in a small locality.

I'm not defending the paleo diet but this post appears to be factually-challenged.

I'm pretty sure there were bees on this continent long before there were humans of any kind, which means there was honey. Humans have been cultivating chickens for millennia, pretty much anywhere on the planet, so it's not like eggs were unknown, either.

Sarcasm the elf
04-05-2014, 17:50
So are any of you actually claiming that this diet is unhealthy?

Seems like most of the negative posts are either reasserting that wheat is safe for most people, or just grumbling about the name "paleo," neither of which seems to really call the diet itself into question.

Tuckahoe
04-05-2014, 19:37
I'm not defending the paleo diet but this post appears to be factually-challenged.

I'm pretty sure there were bees on this continent long before there were humans of any kind, which means there was honey. Humans have been cultivating chickens for millennia, pretty much anywhere on the planet, so it's not like eggs were unknown, either.

Naw it's actually pretty factual. Not all bees produce a harvestable honey. It is the English that introduce the European honey bee in the 1620s to North America. Chickens again, are introduced to the Americas in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Also, no one has realized that Demeter was the goddess of agriculture and grains?

Namtrag
04-05-2014, 21:25
Let's just call it a diet which avoids processed foods and calls for plenty of healthy fats, lots of protein, and non starchy vegetables, with limited amounts of starchy veggies and fruit.

Pedaling Fool
04-06-2014, 10:16
So are any of you actually claiming that this diet is unhealthy?

Seems like most of the negative posts are either reasserting that wheat is safe for most people, or just grumbling about the name "paleo," neither of which seems to really call the diet itself into question.
I've learned what constitues an "unhealthy diet" (or healthy diet) is not such a black and white issue, because we humans are so adaptable and are very good generalist eaters as evidenced by the great variety of diets seen in numerous cultures around the world; some of which are very restrictive and not too varied.

I think, in part, that maybe why some people can eat certain foods, but others can not without severe consequences.

Furthermore, that is why I'm open-minded about glueten adversely effecting certain people that are otherwise healthy and free of any auto-immune disease. However, I also agree many are just following a fad and their adverse symptoms are more psychological than real. I'll let you all know when glueten starts adversely effecting me:)

I simply react to the mindless claims that processed foods and GMO's are so bad for us, because they are unnatural and so prevelant in our system. Not to say there isn't any problem with that prevelance -- life is full of problems, there is no way around that fact -- but the over-the-top crap coming from whole foods/plaeo communities are just baseless. The word, Natural is completely misused and misunderstood. I won't spend any time writing why, but this link pretty much sums up my thoughts on that http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=1114

Nature is here to kill us off as it tried back 70,000 years ago when the supervolcano Toba erupted and led to the term Population Bottleneck. Imagine if we were struck by an asteroid that killed the dinos 65 million years ago, much worse than Toba. Yet, people want to focus on crazy theories on how we're destroying ourselves and the planet:rolleyes: Nature has killed far more people than people have (and caused far more suffering).

Let's just call it a diet which avoids processed foods and calls for plenty of healthy fats, lots of protein, and non starchy vegetables, with limited amounts of starchy veggies and fruit.The potato is damn near a primary foodsource for me. I even eat potato chips for breakfast sometimes just for a little energy boost to get on my bike.:)

Namtrag
04-06-2014, 18:51
All I know is in 30 days of eating this way, I dropped 14 lbs with zero exercise, averaging 5 eggs a day, copious amounts of nuts, chicken thighs with the skins on fried in coconut oil, steak fried in coconut oil, and plenty of veggies, some fruit, and sweet potatoes. Maybe it's not for everyone, but I feel great. I haven't had bread, rice, oatmeal, sugar, artificial sweeteners, or anything with any of these listed in the ingredients in 6 weeks now. But better than the weight loss is that I totally am rid of acid reflux, which I was suffering mercilessly. I was eating 8-10 chewable antacids a day.

myakka_
04-06-2014, 19:08
Namtrag, that is the rest of our story at my house. When they started telling my wife about avoiding gluten, I started studying this diet more closely. The name paleo offends, they should call it by it's scientific name: a ketogenic diet (a diet that has the body running on ketones instead of sugars)
So when I switched to paleo, within a month I dropped 20lbs, (I already exercise at my work). I eat tons of good real food, fresh veggies, lots of meat.
I have more energy, and have done away with my acid reflux. (which means I get to take less medicine) So more good food, less chemical meds.)

I used to run a health food store back in the day, and I knew about other ketogenic diets (Atkins is a famous one) I thought then that they were too extreme. This one is good common sense.

googlywoogly
04-06-2014, 19:28
All I know is in 30 days of eating this way, I dropped 14 lbs with zero exercise, averaging 5 eggs a day, copious amounts of nuts, chicken thighs with the skins on fried in coconut oil, steak fried in coconut oil, and plenty of veggies, some fruit, and sweet potatoes. Maybe it's not for everyone, but I feel great. I haven't had bread, rice, oatmeal, sugar, artificial sweeteners, or anything with any of these listed in the ingredients in 6 weeks now. But better than the weight loss is that I totally am rid of acid reflux, which I was suffering mercilessly. I was eating 8-10 chewable antacids a day.

I cosign. The weight loss is just a bonus. The super clear mind, endless energy, and dearth of chronic health issues (achy joints, acid reflux, et al.). is the money shot of this way of eating. I think anyone who hasn't tried it for 30 days before poo pooing it are doing themselves a great disservice.

WingedMonkey
04-06-2014, 19:41
You folks must have all ate some real crap before this discovery.

:D