PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a SOBO partner - early June start.

sureaboutthis
03-22-2014, 14:14
Yes, I know about the obstacles associated with leaving that early. I've been planning this for years now, and I want to experience the hell out of it, the pretty as well as the ugly.

I'm 29, male, a wildlife biology student from Texas. My plan was originally to finish school first, but I'm burnt out from working and going to school more than full time, and I'm going to take some time off and mark this off my list.

Ideally I'd be with someone who, like me, is not in any particular rush. If it takes me half a year, I'm okay with that. I want to see the sights, wander around a bit, make some new friends, and complete the trail thoroughly and without regrets. Anyone I meet up with (with the intention of hiking together) might well prefer more or fewer MPD, or end up not getting along with me, or give up on the trail at some point...that's okay. I accept that possibility, but I'd like to try to hike with someone anyway for the sake of company and mutual safety.

I'm sure about this. I've begun preparing - someone to take care of my cat, putting stuff in storage, et cetera. I'm taking a Greyhound to Maine in late May and I'm going to do this.

Feel free to respond if it seems like we might get along. As for MPD, I really have no clue, and won't have one until I hit the trail. I'm in decent shape, but will be trudging up and down hills around my town with a bunch of crap in my pack to get used to it for the next couple of months. If you're going for speed, we won't likely be together very long.

Slo-go'en
03-22-2014, 16:03
Just be sure to check with the rangers at Baxter before you leave. The park trys to open on May 15th, but it can be as late as June 1st, and this maybe one of those years. None of the significant snow we have gotten here in NH and Maine has melted yet and more is coming. It is snowing as I type. We have been known to get some pretty good snow storms in April. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for all this snow to melt, it could take a while!

sureaboutthis
03-22-2014, 17:00
Thank you for the heads up. I'll be keeping an eye on that. The early June thing is, of course, dependent on conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forrest!
03-22-2014, 17:40
And if you don't find someone to team up with, there's plenty of hikers headed south at that time. Not as many as the NOBOs, but I saw lots of people last year in June.

Honuben
03-22-2014, 19:31
Ill be out there mid june and starting to hike on the 14th. I don't have a partner and was just going to see who i meet as i went. If you wanted to wait until then ill hike with you. I would like to be home for turkey, but have to be home for Christmas. If I'm not home for xmas i will have an xwife.

sureaboutthis
03-23-2014, 09:34
And if you don't find someone to team up with, there's plenty of hikers headed south at that time. Not as many as the NOBOs, but I saw lots of people last year in June.

Good to know! Can't wait.

sureaboutthis
03-23-2014, 09:42
Ill be out there mid june and starting to hike on the 14th. I don't have a partner and was just going to see who i meet as i went. If you wanted to wait until then ill hike with you. I would like to be home for turkey, but have to be home for Christmas. If I'm not home for xmas i will have an xwife.

I'm pretty set on leaving early, so as to have plenty of time. Sounds like you might well be passing me anyway if you're trying to be home for thanksgiving.

BRAFC
03-27-2014, 20:29
I have a campsite for June 1st. Hopefully we can get started then. I have seen a post that recommends if Katahdin is shut down start at the southern end of 100MW and do a mini flip flop.

sureaboutthis
03-27-2014, 23:58
Thanks for the tip, BRAFC. I'll keep that in mind.

warld piece
03-28-2014, 00:58
I recommend at some point in your journey, night hiking. It's another world of natures life. I did about a weeks worth my first summer. It's really great if you plan it for a town with all you can eat breakfast, arrive with healthy appetite.

Andy P
03-31-2014, 19:45
Hi everyone, I'm set to start my hike on June 8th. I'm in no hurry to finish and would like to take my time. I don't have a game plan other than showing up at Katahdin Stream Campground and seeing what happens. This is going to be awesome! Happy Hiking everyone and I look forward to seeing you on the trail.

virginia jen
03-31-2014, 21:33
I'll be starting June 7th, I'll see you guys out there!

sureaboutthis
04-01-2014, 00:42
I feel like I'm gonna leave like a week before a bunch of people.

firesign
04-01-2014, 08:25
SAT,

Starting 29 May, if BSP is open. I started my training a few days ago and would like to average 18 miles a day. I'm sure that our paths will cross and I wish you and the rest of the SoBos the very best.

fredmugs
04-01-2014, 09:12
I have a campsite for June 1st. Hopefully we can get started then. I have seen a post that recommends if Katahdin is shut down start at the southern end of 100MW and do a mini flip flop.

Although that sounds feasible if the park is still shut down the streams in the southern end of the 100MW may be unfordable. I sectioned the 100MW in early June and the guy at Shaw's said if I had been there a week earlier I would not have been able to cross in some places. I would check with Shaw's and the other guy on here who provides shuttles about stream crossings as well.

sureaboutthis
04-01-2014, 14:30
SAT,

Starting 29 May, if BSP is open. I started my training a few days ago and would like to average 18 miles a day. I'm sure that our paths will cross and I wish you and the rest of the SoBos the very best.

Best of fortune to you too! If you're going that fast we may never meet. Be safe.

TwoSpirits
04-04-2014, 15:45
I'm planning a June 7th start, hoping the Hunt Trail will be open after this long snowy winter. I know there will likely be a lot of high water at the stream crossings in the HMW, and need to be ready with a good Plan B if parts are impassable. But I'm also not in any kind of rush.

BRAFC
04-07-2014, 22:17
Thank's fredmugs, we in NC got a reminder of what flooded streams look like today.