PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for the Grayson Highlands in May?

Weather-man
03-23-2014, 06:19
Good morning all. Trying to put together a 5-7 day section hike that'll take myself and my daughter through the Grayson Highlands in early May and looking for suggestions.

The squishy plan right now is to drive up from Tampa on the 8th to the Damascus area, take the 9th of May as a down day and then hit the trail on the 10th. Most likely park at Mt Rogers Outfitters and have them shuttle us north for a SOBO back to Damascus, arriving back on the 15th or 16th.

- What would be a convenient trail head drop off location 70 or so miles to the north? Will a drop off at the Mt Roger's visitor's center work (Partnership Shelter) ?

- Would like to do a single resupply if possible during this hike. Any suggestions around the 3 day mark? I'm thinking a cache at the Fox Creek parking area. If nothing else we'll just carry the food though I'm wondering about other options.

Thanks in advance and would love to hear some of the must see and must do on this route.

W-M

VAGator
03-23-2014, 07:19
Good morning weather man from Troutdale VA. I have some good ideas for you as I retired here from Tampa 5 years ago. I sectioned hike from NOC to my house in 2009 and finished in mid-May. The last 40 miles were fantastic Rather than go into a lot of detail you could contact me by phone and I could give you better ideas including some interesting possibilities as I will be home during that timeframe. Let me know if you are interested in talking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

fredmugs
03-23-2014, 07:29
Atkins to Damascus is right at 75 miles. I also had MRO shuttle me up there and hike back. It's all very enjoyable. I would do the side trip to the summit of Mt Rogers just to say you've been there. I would NOT stay at the double decker shelter. Too many people and too many ponies. Having said that, there's a good possibility there will be other kids there for your daughter to play with.

bigcranky
03-23-2014, 11:19
+1 on Atkins. That makes a good 75 mile hike. May is an awesome time to be there, but you will find a lot of hikers on the trail.

Weather-man
03-23-2014, 14:06
Good morning weather man from Troutdale VA. I have some good ideas for you as I retired here from Tampa 5 years ago. I sectioned hike from NOC to my house in 2009 and finished in mid-May. The last 40 miles were fantastic Rather than go into a lot of detail you could contact me by phone and I could give you better ideas including some interesting possibilities as I will be home during that timeframe. Let me know if you are interested in talking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

VaGator, thanks so much and it would be great to get your insights. PM sent.

FredMugs, she's almost 20 so my challenge is to keep the boys from playing with her!:)

Only kidding, she's a smart young lady and takes care of herself well. This is our daddy/daughter time and I cherish these hikes!

Shonryu
03-25-2014, 03:16
I would personally go from Damascus NOBO to Atkins. Once you get past scales it gets kind of boring. That and there is a resturant in Atkins once you come off of the trail that has a killer hiker burger that is a nice payoff for the trip :) If you dont plan on staying at Partnership at least take advantage of pizza hut delivering there and grabbing a cold drink at the ranger station :) I dont remember there really being a place between Damascus and Atkins where you could resupply.

I would also recommend another option amd that's to start aroumd Laurel Falls in TN and if you want to resupply you can in Damascus and head NOBO through Greyson Highlands.

FarmerChef
03-25-2014, 08:02
One thing to keep in mind here is that Trail Days starts in Damascus at the end of the following week. Before this, hikers will be massing closer and closer to town from both directions as they hike in to TD. As your planning your sections keep this in mind. Perhaps you could start at Partnership and head south into TN to try and avoid the crush of the crowds. My main concern is that shelter space may be very limited and even camping spots can become a bit crowded just before the event.

Weather-man
03-25-2014, 08:39
Shonryu

I would personally go from Damascus NOBO to Atkins. Once you get past scales it gets kind of boring. That and there is a resturant in Atkins once you come off of the trail that has a killer hiker burger that is a nice payoff for the trip :) If you dont plan on staying at Partnership at least take advantage of pizza hut delivering there and grabbing a cold drink at the ranger station :) I dont remember there really being a place between Damascus and Atkins where you could resupply.

I would also recommend another option amd that's to start aroumd Laurel Falls in TN and if you want to resupply you can in Damascus and head NOBO through Greyson Highlands.

Thanks. VAGator was very helpful when we spoke and mentioned that there's a post office in Troutdale. The plan is to either just carry 6 days or mail a drop to the PO and pick it up on day 3. Probably just carry the food but still considering options. Don't want over complicate things but Troutdale also has the church hostel and maybe we can snag a shower. The Damascus / Adkins section seems to be easiest in terms of shuttle and truck parking but I'm open to other suggestions. Whatever makes sense...the only must do is the Grayson highlands.

FarmerChef

One thing to keep in mind here is that Trail Days starts in Damascus at the end of the following week. Before this, hikers will be massing closer and closer to town from both directions as they hike in to TD. As your planning your sections keep this in mind. Perhaps you could start at Partnership and head south into TN to try and avoid the crush of the crowds. My main concern is that shelter space may be very limited and even camping spots can become a bit crowded just before the event.

Actually looking forward to TD....the hiking spark in her is growing and I think a bunch of hippies blowing fire might be just the thing! :)

DugK
03-25-2014, 09:17
You can get a shower at Grayson Highlands campground for a $3 fee (at least you could a few years ago)..plus there is a camp store to grab a can of pop.

Weather-man
03-25-2014, 10:19
You can get a shower at Grayson Highlands campground for a $3 fee (at least you could a few years ago)..plus there is a camp store to grab a can of pop.

Looks like you still can get a shower. Thanks!

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/grayson-highlands-state-park/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=VA&parkId=140172

bigcranky
03-25-2014, 12:21
I dont remember there really being a place between Damascus and Atkins where you could resupply.

Several options:

1. Leave your car parked in the backpacker lot at Grayson Highlands, which is halfway (and costs a couple of bucks a day.) Leave a food resupply in the trunk. Come down off the trail a half mile, resupply, and walk back up to the trail. Easy, but it takes two shuttles (one at the start and one at the end.)

2. There are small grocery stores sort of near the trail when it hits Dickey Gap and touches VA 16. Walk over to the highway from the trail, and you can hitch in either direction -- to the left (north on the road) five miles is Sugar Grove, with a small Exxon station and country grocery store. To the right (south on the road), there is the hamlet of Troutdale a few miles away, with a hostel (in season), post office, etc., and a few miles past that is a tiny country grocery, the Fox Creek General Store. Both of these should be good for a small resupply, though I expect most thru-hikers will just get 4 or 5 days of food in Damascus and resupply again in Marion.

Southerner
03-25-2014, 13:16
Have you considered doing the Iron Mountain Trail / AT / Virginia Creeper Trail loop? You could camp at Grayson Highlands State Park, spend your free day exploring some of the shorter trails in that area, hike the AT south to the VCT, follow either the VCT or AT into Damascus (the VCT has better scenery and a gently downhill-sloping trail over that section, but also bikers zipping past), re-supply at Damascus and enjoy the trail town, take the AT north to the Cuckoo, follow the IMT out toward Hurricane, then take the AT back south through Fox Creek / Old Orchard / the Scales back to Massey Gap (GHSP). That would save you from having to shuttle at all, put you in Damascus for a mid-way re-supply, give multiple days in Grayson Highlands, and you wouldn't lose much scenery since the AT is a little ho-hum between Hurricane and Atkins.

SawnieRobertson
03-25-2014, 14:41
Good morning all. Trying to put together a 5-7 day section hike that'll take myself and my daughter through the Grayson Highlands in early May and looking for suggestions.

The squishy plan right now is to drive up from Tampa on the 8th to the Damascus area, take the 9th of May as a down day and then hit the trail on the 10th. Most likely park at Mt Rogers Outfitters and have them shuttle us north for a SOBO back to Damascus, arriving back on the 15th or 16th.

- What would be a convenient trail head drop off location 70 or so miles to the north? Will a drop off at the Mt Roger's visitor's center work (Partnership Shelter) ?

- Would like to do a single resupply if possible during this hike. Any suggestions around the 3 day mark? I'm thinking a cache at the Fox Creek parking area. If nothing else we'll just carry the food though I'm wondering about other options.

Thanks in advance and would love to hear some of the must see and must do on this route.

W-M
I can and will help you. This would be in connection with my AVON Walk for the Cure drive, so all charges would build your deductions for the tax year. If interested, please contact me today (snowed in) or this evening. In a PM, give your telephone number and the best time to call you, which I will do.--Kinnickinic

Dadburnet
03-25-2014, 15:36
I'll be driving from Chicago to Damascus on May3rd and shuttleing from Mt. Rogers outfitters to Atkins. Going to have a mail drop in Troutdale and maybe spend the night at the church Hostel there. I've been planning for months and hiking the only hill I can find around here with my pack every day now that it is slightly warmer. I'm an old guy, but Trail Days sounds like fun too.

Tim Causa
03-30-2014, 11:07
Keep in mind, if you want to walk northbound, you can just follow the mro shuttle out to your northern terminus and get a ride back. They have to go out and back either way; it's what I did. You can geocache your re supply at a road intersection that was as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Teacher & Snacktime
03-30-2014, 11:42
Any recommendations for Grayson Highlands in May?

Yep, I recommend you hike them! It was my favorite part of the trail so far. If you're there right before Traildays, you might just bump into us...and FarmerChef & family!

tiptoe
03-30-2014, 12:06
If all goes according to plan, I should be in that area in May as well. I'd really like to meet all of you in person after reading your posts.

Weather-man
03-31-2014, 19:34
Well I hope we get to meet everyone! I'm really looking forward to this as is my daughter. Should be a lot fun and then hitting TD will be an extra bonus.

Praha4
03-31-2014, 20:05
lots of good advice shared here. I would just add that there is a phone at the Mt Rogers Visitor Center, next to Partnership Shelter, where you can order pizza or call the taxi service out of Marion. It's not a long drive into Marion which is a possible resupply point on your proposed section hike. I also highly recommend the Barn restaurant in Atkins (Grossclose), at the I-81 crossing, they have an awesome Hiker Burger. I hiked nobo, Damascus to Atkins, in October-2012..... parked my car at the Relax Inn in Atkins, and the motel owner shuttled me back to Damascus to start the hike. On another section hike, I parked my car at The Barn restaurant for 2 weeks, it was safe there, the owners let section hikers park outside the restaurant. Have a great hike!

Teacher & Snacktime
03-31-2014, 20:44
Well I hope we get to meet everyone! I'm really looking forward to this as is my daughter. Should be a lot fun and then hitting TD will be an extra bonus.

We'll definitely see you at Traildays! Stop by Crazy Larry's and get a trail magic bag!

Weather-man
05-02-2014, 17:42
Going to revive this! We've locked everything in, making final preps and hit the trail next week. How are weather and trail conditions?

bigcranky
05-02-2014, 19:04
It's going to be beautiful this weekend -- heading up for a quick overnight. The forecast for Whitetop (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Whitetop&state=VA&site=RNK&textField1=36.6&textField2=-81.6167&e=0#.U2QkPa1dW9w) (the town, not the mountain) shows highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s with great weather all next week. Of course, that is subject to change.... :0

SawnieRobertson
05-02-2014, 21:31
No matter what, it is going to be better than we thought it was going to be earlier this week. It is definitely Spring and all that Spring tends to be. :- )

July
05-02-2014, 23:30
Go/Start at Adkins, pack enough food that will sustain you for 70/miles, Happy Hiking!

SawnieRobertson
05-03-2014, 09:54
Go/Start at Adkins, pack enough food that will sustain you for 70/miles, Happy Hiking!

I would ignore the above post if I were you. Atkins to Mt. Rogers headquarters is a 1 to 2-day hike. At Mt. Rogers you can get a ride by bus or thumb into Marion, where you can supply very well. If the weather is horrendous, you can hole up at a motel or stay at Partnership Shelter. After that, yes, resupply is a matter of planning. Most of all, the vegetation, views, and terrain will be beautiful. Thumbs down on carrying 70 miles worth of food unless you are (1) a very light eater or (2) a 20-mile hiker, day after day with trail legs that beg for more pack weight.

Weather-man
05-03-2014, 18:07
Here's the planned route. I copied this from "Montana mac's" post (Mar 2011) and it seemed like a pleasant 6 day hike.

I just had back surgery and have been told that a total R side hip replacement is 2-5 years away so no 20 mile days right now......short days and light weight for the time being. Daddy-Daughter time is what's important.

1 Partnership Shelter --------->Trimpi Shelter -----------------> 10.60 miles

2 Trimpi Shelter ---------------> Hurricane Mtn Shelter --------> 9.10

3 Hurricane Mtn Shelter -----> Wise Shelter -------------------> 10.90

**Resupply after Hurricane shelter at Fox Creek

4 Wise Shelter -----------------> White Top Mtn Camp --------> 11.80

5 White Top Mtn -------------> Camp Saunders Shelter -------> 11.90

6 Saunders Shelter -----------> Damascus -------------------------> 9.40

Total 63.70

Studlintsean
05-03-2014, 21:52
Nice Pit Bull Weather Man. Enjoy the hike. I may be fortunate enough to do part of that hike in a few weeks.

saltysack
05-04-2014, 20:52
Did the 40 mile stretch from 603 south to Damascus back in nov....favorite section thus far!!! Can't wait yo do again!! Started mid day on Friday back in Damascus Sunday before noon..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk