PDA

View Full Version : I cannot believe how fast this rapidly approached. (April 1st Start Date)

JeffBliss
03-23-2014, 12:11
I quit my job on Friday (March 21st) and here I am sitting in a buddy's house going over gear and getting last minute things done (like taxes!)

I cannot believe how fast this moment rapidly approached. I am honestly in awe that in just a little over a week I'll be taking steps on the Approach Trail and realizing a dream of almost three years.

My buddy and I are super excited to start this and I am looking forward to meeting anyone and everyone on the trail.

Happy hiking everyone!

HikerMom58
03-23-2014, 13:23
Good luck with everything JeffBliss! I liked your blog! Nice! Keep checking in with us! Happy hiking!!

JeffBliss
03-23-2014, 14:43
Thank you for the well wishes, HikerMom! I would love to keep everyone updated here and hopefully make some connections with the great community here at Whiteblaze.

A random question for everyone here that has thru-hiked or is about to thru-hike. As your start date was approaching did you feel anxiety and somewhat bittersweet emotions concerning it? This has been a dream of mine for so long now but recently within the last few months (and even more so the last week) I have unfortunately lost a lot to realize this dream. It's kind of draining me at the moment and I certainly hope that the passion and spark to thru-hike the AT returns fully the moment I step foot on Springer Mountain.

evansprater
03-23-2014, 18:20
Starting the 1st as well! See you out there!

SeeksChayah
03-24-2014, 04:19
Cannot help other than to say you are not alone. I am wrapping things up here to do the same (Incl taxes tomorrow). Have had a lump in my throat for a few weeks now. Friends & Family don't understand why I have been my usual cheery self. I keep telling them I'll smile again as soon as I take my first step. This IS a big undertaking!

LAF
03-24-2014, 11:00
Best of luck - I'm flying to GA today and step foot on the trail tomorrow. See you out there :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JeffBliss
03-24-2014, 11:34
Good luck to the both of you starting!

Thank you for the comradery SeeksChayah. It's always good to know I am not alone in these feelings.

I think it's especially hard for me because I never fully processed how difficult it would be to leave certain things and terminate others (friends, job, girlfriend, etc...) I always knew what had to be done but when you actually get down to the meat of it, it becomes extraordinarily difficult. Especially when you watch a great relationship unfold and collapse right in front of you because of a life dream.

Makes it tough and very bittersweet.

Alas... Definitely looking forward to setting foot on the trail April 1st and getting things started. I'm also not so secretly happy to be going down to warmer weather haha. I'm ready for Spring.

LAF
03-24-2014, 12:05
It is bittersweet jeffbliss - I too have given up a lot to do this and understand the heartache but I have also gained a lot and expect that to continue, it is all part of growth and change and following the spirit. The realities of the sacrifices have sunk in but the realties of the opportunities and the unknown future are only now starting as I head to GA. I expect those realities to hit tomorrow morning. God Speed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JeffBliss
03-24-2014, 12:19
Beautifully worded, psyenz. It is all about the frame of mind when approaching this monumental journey and it certainly sounds like you have capture that frame perfectly.

Best of luck to you starting tomorrow. Are you planning on doing the Approach Trail?

RockDoc
03-24-2014, 13:31
My advice would be not to call yourself an thru hiker until you are through hiking. Chances are you will not make it.

Brently
03-24-2014, 13:46
We also hit the trail on April 1, so we'll cya out there! Been waiting on this since our '12 attempt! Happy Trails!

JeffBliss
03-24-2014, 15:19
My advice would be not to call yourself an thru hiker until you are through hiking. Chances are you will not make it.

I understand why you say what you say but why be so negative? I know that the completion percentage is 25% or around there but I'd rather not think of myself as a statistic. I'm going into this with my heart and soul full strength and giving it my all. Attempting a thru-hike is far more accurate but I need all the positive emotions I can muster.

Meriadoc
03-24-2014, 15:48
Attempting a thru-hike is far more accurate but I need all the positive emotions I can muster.

Call it what you like, it's just a label. There are those who hike the entire fill-in-the-blank and then there are thru hikers who have learned to let their souls shine through their eyes. May you be one of the latter, and with luck, one of the former too :D. Fare well thru hiker Jeff!

Don H
03-24-2014, 18:49

Mr. Positive!

Although there's some truth to this. When asked if I was thru-hiking I would always answer "I'm trying" or "that's the plan".

Texaco
03-24-2014, 19:15
By even attempting you're already that far ahead of the crowd of people who spend their lives wishing they'd done something that they'd dreamed about. That in itself says everything it needs to say about you as a person.

Best of luck. Maybe I'll see you, I start on the 4th.

Whichway
03-24-2014, 19:32
Hi JeffBliss, I gave notice at my workplace on Saturday, and yes, it is bittersweet. My co-workers promise to remind me of all the nasty things I will no longer be putting up with at work when I get discouraged on the trail! Such support!
The leave-taking is much harder than I imagined it would be and I still have a month to go before stepping out!
And Rockdoc...thanks for the buzzkill. With an attitude like that, I'd never start. Thank goodness my 'inner voice' is deaf to statements like yours. GO JeffBliss...see you out there soon!

"A godly woman faces her challenges with prayer, a sense of adventure and a great pair of boots!"

takethisbread
03-26-2014, 11:18
good luck Jeff bliss and all of you. and me too I guess . you are in my prayers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

secret squirrl
03-26-2014, 12:46
Good luck. I will be praying for you.

Offshore
03-26-2014, 13:14

ATC definition of a thru-hiker (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking): "A thru-hiker is a hiker or backpacker who has completed or is attempting to walk the entire Appalachian Trail in one uninterrupted journey."

My advice to JeffBliss would be to 1.) Not to call himself a thru-hiker until the first step on the trail; after that it's all good, and 2.) Ignore the negativity and rise above it. I'll be following JeffBliss and Texaco's blogs and wishing them their own greatest adventures.

Sara
03-26-2014, 14:02
I'm leaving a week after you Jeff. :cool:

Currently, my feelings of excitement are overriding any negative emotions like anxiety. Finishing up everything at work is a bit stressful. Sometimes I think about other things I could be doing with a five-month leave of absence (travel, other trails) and I need to remind myself that the A.T. is awesome.
Best wishes and keep positive. :sun

Crestview_hiker
03-27-2014, 08:11
Hey guys I also am starting out on April Fools Day, Hope to see ya on the trail. It's 3 days and counting before heading to GA.

http://www.trailjournals.com/CrestviewHiker/