PDA

View Full Version : Scenic hammock spots Thornton Gap to Sky Meadows State Park?

hayshaker170
03-23-2014, 19:46
Can anyone recommend cool or scenic spots to hammock camp between Thornton Gap SNP and Sky Meadows State Park (near highway 50)? Also are there any lake or streams that we could take a dip in?

hayshaker170
03-24-2014, 20:23
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller! Bueller!

hayshaker170
03-25-2014, 16:39
Nobody? Ok, if I find any neat spots I will report back in June.

johnnybgood
03-25-2014, 16:53
If I were doing this section I'd start the night before atop the ridge near Mary's Rock.
Take the Meadows Spring Trail , two miles south of Thornton Gap entrance station. The trail goes up to the ridge line about half mile.
Go northbound 0.6/ mile toward Mary's Rock . As you get closer you will see the views on the left not far off the trail. If you have trouble finding the right trees to hang, cowboy camp on Mary's Rock

The other sweet spot is where I would hike to on your first day, assuming you can hike 14 miles. Really not hard as you'll be going down and then not having much elevation gain after that.

The AT goes directly above Little Hogback Overlook where there is an opening with 2 trees ,perfect for hammocking with a gorgeous view of the stars and valley below.

flemdawg1
03-26-2014, 11:41
The problem with many scenic hammock sights is they get windy. I stopped to camp at Symms Gap Meadow on a section hike last May, georgeous mountain top meadow and a view of the vally below. Froze my ass off due to the wind.

hayshaker170
03-26-2014, 16:52
If I were doing this section I'd start the night before atop the ridge near Mary's Rock.
Take the Meadows Spring Trail , two miles south of Thornton Gap entrance station. The trail goes up to the ridge line about half mile.
Go northbound 0.6/ mile toward Mary's Rock . As you get closer you will see the views on the left not far off the trail. If you have trouble finding the right trees to hang, cowboy camp on Mary's Rock

The other sweet spot is where I would hike to on your first day, assuming you can hike 14 miles. Really not hard as you'll be going down and then not having much elevation gain after that.

The AT goes directly above Little Hogback Overlook where there is an opening with 2 trees ,perfect for hammocking with a gorgeous view of the stars and valley below.

Hey, thanks a lot! I will definitely check those areas out.

hayshaker170
03-26-2014, 16:55
The problem with many scenic hammock sights is they get windy. I stopped to camp at Symms Gap Meadow on a section hike last May, georgeous mountain top meadow and a view of the vally below. Froze my ass off due to the wind.
I kinda figured that could be a problem. But we'll have our 25* bags, (until I can afford a down TQ), so we should be plenty warm. I am so geeked about this year I can't stand it. I can't imagin ehow excited the thru hiker crowd gets before they take off. Thanks all!

Kingbee
03-26-2014, 17:12
At Rock Springs hut, go down by the cabin and find some trees. Great view of the Valley from there.

hayshaker170
03-26-2014, 20:59
At Rock Springs hut, go down by the cabin and find some trees. Great view of the Valley from there.
Taking notes, thanks!

flemdawg1
03-31-2014, 16:44
You have to be 100 yards from a cabin. http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm