PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable pack for a woman

CynJ
09-16-2005, 21:55
Ok - I spent an hour at EMS trying on packs - anyone have any experience with trying to find a comfortable pack for a shorter, well-endowed :rolleyes: woman?

Nothing I tried on - no matter what the size fit well with the chest strap.

The smalls were too small and the mediums were too big.

:datz

Smile
09-16-2005, 23:22
Have you taken a look at the Osprey Aether 75? Very flexible with the sizing and really adjustable....also be sure you're dealing with folks who KNOW how to fit a backpack, I go to a great outfitter near my home in FL ( Black Creek Outfitters) who have very knowledgeable staff, however it took finding the right salesperson to truly help me find the right one who was the most knowledgeable one in the store.....

neo
09-16-2005, 23:31
my wife loves my old golite gust,i have offered to buy her another pack
but she will not part with it:cool: neo

frieden
09-17-2005, 01:10
I'm going to check out the GoLite Gust. Thanks, Neo!

I would suggest the Osprey Ariel 75 (the Ariel is their women's pack) for fit. Fair warning, it is a "$2 pack, on a $100,000 frame". I bought one, and sent it back as soon as I got it. My sister got one too, but kept it. The "separate" compartment, isn't. The closures are cheap little plastic things. The frame and fit, however, are incredible.

gumball
09-17-2005, 06:20
I had the same problem--bought and returned several packs until I came to the Osprey packs for women. I have the Ariel 74 and an Aether 60 (Aether is the mens, but it works for me). I have a friend who has a Granite Gear pack...a Vapor Trail, I believe, and she likes that very much.

You just have to try them on and them use them outdoors--that's the tell-tale for me. When I have hiked a 100 miles in the pack, its a lot different that how it might feel for 15 or 20 minutes with my gear in it, walking around the store.

Cheesewhiz
09-17-2005, 06:39
My girlfriend loves her Granite gear Vapor Trail. She tried on like 20-30 packs at like 5-7 different outfitters and finally decided on the GG while we were in Harpers Ferry. However she is only 5'4" and 115 but its worth a try.

40% of AT thru-hikers carried this pack last year.

http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vapor_trail/index.html

Hammock Hanger
09-17-2005, 08:02
I have a Osprey Aretha 60 that I loke very much. (Only used if I am going to carry over 35 pounds) http://www.ospreypacks.com/ (If I were to replace this pack it would be with a Sherpani Tara 75.

I have a Sherpani Luna 45 pack that I love. It is the pack I use most often. (For 25 pounds and under. It is specifically madde for women.) http://sherpani.us/backpacks.cfm

I have friends that love the Granite Vapor. http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vapor_trail/index.html

Good luck pack searching. Try one out if possible prior to buying. Sue/HH

LIhikers
09-17-2005, 09:58
I see you are in CT. Some day when you have time to kill make a trip to Campmor in Paramus, NJ. They have a pretty good selection of packs by different manufacturers and some good sales people.

CynJ
09-17-2005, 10:12
Giving credit where its due - the girl at EMS was great! We tried out the packs with 40lbs in the them with other stuffing. Its just my weirdo body type - short, chunky :D , and big busted. Not condusive to easily finding a pack.

I'm lauging at the GraniteGear link - I just ordered the dog pack from them for my boxer.

The Osprey packs look interesting. And that GoLite's weight is amazing! I found one dealer that does both nearby in Canton and will plan a trip over there and see how they fit.

frieden
09-17-2005, 11:33
Looking at GoLite gear. Could I really get my packweight down to 30lbs, carrying gear for dog and I, with food, and a tent?

The Gust is a good size, and only weighs a wee bit over a pound.
The Trek is a good size, and only weighs 2 lbs, but gives me more room for the foam pads I was going to use in the tent (hardly any weight, but bulky).
The Galaxy is almost 4 lbs, but doesn't have a weight restriction, like the other two. You've already given the Gust a thumbs up. Does anyone know anything about the other 2? BTW, the Gust is on sale for $59. http://www.northernmountain.com/detail/PA10373?ClearLast=Yes

Frosty
09-17-2005, 13:09
Looking at GoLite gear. Could I really get my packweight down to 30lbs, carrying gear for dog and I, with food, and a tent?Best to get your gear first. Figure 10 pounds for food and water. You won't always have this much, but some days you will need to carry 2 liters of water and that is 4 pounds. There are lots of stretches where you could easily exceed six pounds of food.

So shoot for 20 if you want a total of thirty.

But if the pack maximum is thirty, the pack may hold it, but not comfortably. Shooting for 25 pounds is better (and gives a little leeway for the trail)

Can you get your gear down to 15 pounds? If so,definately go with a ultralight pack rated for 30 pounds. Maybe 18 as you can always carry a belly bag (a fanny pack turned to the front) with 2-3 pounds of snacks/maps/ water/stuff you want to access often without taking off the pack (Dancing light gear has some great 2 ounce belly bags).

I have a Golite Dawn, rated at 20 and a GoLite race, rated at 30. I was carrying about 23-24 pounds in the GoLite race when I started my thru last April and I wouldn't want to put much more in it. One fo the things you lose with a lightweight pack is suspension and strap padding. Ultralight packs for ultralight gear.

This past summer I bought a Mariposa from Gossamer Gear:

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Mariposa-Standard.html

and used it on the Northville Placid Trail. It was great. Huge outside mesh pockets. It is rated to 40 pounds but I had closer to 25. It rides much better because you put your sleeping pad inside a pocket. This gives the pack a nice firm structure. The pocket will hold any 20 inch wide pad, thought if you use a Z-Rest you cannot use a full length one because by the time you fold it it is too fat.

I actually have a 25 inch wide Big Agnes, but because it doesn't have foam inside (you have to blow it up) it folds very small, and I could creatively fold it so one side was 20 inches wide and it fit the pocket fine.

Mouse
09-17-2005, 14:36
I liked my Mountainsmith Chimera. It did a nice job on my thruhike, with just enough space, good suspension and padding.

Alligator
09-17-2005, 19:58
I have a Osprey Aretha 60 that I loke very much. (Only used if I am going to carry over 35 pounds) http://www.ospreypacks.com/ (If I were to replace this pack it would be with a Sherpani Tara 75.

...I think Sue has an earworm:D , that's an Osprey Ariel.

Seeker
09-17-2005, 21:31
CynJ,

i'm a male, so my opinion is of limited use on this thread's original question. but i do i have to plug my gust. i love it. has a small hip belt that i seldom use, and my pad rolls up just fine inside it and cushions my back. the reason i mention it is that i think they make three sizes for different sized torsos... that may help you find one that fits...

good luck.

Hammock Hanger
09-17-2005, 21:52
I think Sue has an earworm:D , that's an Osprey Ariel.actually I spelled it wrong. :rolleyes: It is Aether 60. http://www.ospreypacks.com/aether_60.htm SUE

Alligator
09-17-2005, 22:07
actually I spelled it wrong. :rolleyes: It is Aether 60. http://www.ospreypacks.com/aether_60.htm SUE"...Sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me...":o

frieden
09-18-2005, 00:53
The Mariposa looks pretty workable. Thanks. I'll research that some more.

Lilred
09-18-2005, 01:13
I'm short and chunky too, but not real big busted. I own a ULA P-2 and love the way it fits. The chest strap is very adjustable and the pack can hold up to 40 pounds. Unfortunately, there are only three outfitters that I know of that sell it. Mountain Crossings at Neel's Gap, the outfitters in Hot Springs, N.C. and the outfitters in Damascus, VA. Otherwise, you have to get it online. Just do a search for ULA P-2 and it'll come right up. There were times when I hardly felt the pack on my back at all. The only time it felt uncomfortable was when I was at the end of a ten hour day. Good luck.

wdelong
09-18-2005, 17:36
I also am very happy wiht my ULA P-2. Great fit, comfortable, enough room...You can order pack size according to your torso measurement, and a separate size for the hip belt as needed. Brian is very helpful (I believe he is out hiking for a few weeks right now). Check website for info.

Turtle2
09-20-2005, 11:59
I had a kelty women's pack for my section last year. Too heavy and even adjusted as short as possible pinched a nerve at my hip. Got the GoLite Infinity. Holds more than the Gust and is light and wonderful to wear. It fits my short torso (I am 5' on a good day) and the chest strap does not bind my large bust.

The Solemates
09-20-2005, 14:12
Ok - I spent an hour at EMS trying on packs - anyone have any experience with trying to find a comfortable pack for a shorter, well-endowed :rolleyes: woman?

Nothing I tried on - no matter what the size fit well with the chest strap.

The smalls were too small and the mediums were too big.

:datz

I dont know if its considered well-endowed or not, but my wife is 5'2" with a 36C chest (Im sure she loves me for sharing this) and she has had great success with the Gregory Reality, size small.

CynJ
09-26-2005, 23:31
I've found my pack!!! :clap

After trying on a dozen more or so packs in all shapes and sizes I finally hit on one at Dick's that fits really well!! The Kelty Santa Fe 4000

Now my problem is that that I can't find any reviews (good or bad) about it and its not even listed on Kelty's website (I sent them an email for info)

I am hoping that this is at least a decent pack - it was SO comfortable on!

Anybody have one of these or know of anyone that has/had one?

gumball
09-27-2005, 05:13
I had one, but had a terrible time with it when I had it packed and on, moving through the woods. My stepdaughter has one as well--Kelty's just seem to slip at the waist belt on us, and my Santa Fe caused some terrible shoulder pain for me, no matter how I packed and repacked it--but different packs for different folks.

Yes, I remember looking for reviews, too, and there's something about this pack--I think it might be made specifically for Dicks, so its not on their regular menu of packs. Do search here, or on Google, I bet you'll find something.

CynJ
09-27-2005, 06:50
That doesn't sound too promising! :eek: