PDA

View Full Version : May Start, Should I Bring Thermal Gear?

warturkey117
03-24-2014, 00:57
I am planning on heading out NOBO May 1st, or sometime late April. The only thing I have yet to hammer out gear wise is a sweater of some sort. I plan on bringing a synthetic tshirt, and longsleeve, but I am not sure if I should bring a simple medium weight fleece like this http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___50249 , perhaps something cheaper from Wally World, or a heavier winter jacket. I'm not sure what kind of weather I should prepare for since I am starting out so late.
I am a Miami native, who has never seen snow, so I have no idea what kind of insulation I would need. I figured I could wear both the tshirt, longsleeve, fleece, and my rain shell if it got too cold, but I'm not 100% sure. Should I get another thermal layer for my legs?
Thanks for the help.

rafe
03-24-2014, 06:42
Welcome to Whiteblaze, warturkey.

Just my opinion here, but there's nothing like that jacket in my kit. From its appearance it looks like it might be too heavy to hike in, so would only be useful for keeping warm at camp.

Conditions on the AT can change day-to-day, hour-to-hour and minute-to-minute. You make your own heat while hiking, so that's not where we usually feel cold. OTOH, evenings can be cool, you'll often want something to throw on at camp.

The general rule or strategy is to have several thin layers that can be added or removed quickly. Included in this would be a top-to-bottom base layer (maybe silk, polypro, capilene, merino wool, etc. -- anything but cotton) that you designate as keep-dry-at-all-costs. The keep-dry stuff is for wearing at camp and to sleep, particularly after walking all day in cold rain.

Don't forget a hat and gloves.

daddytwosticks
03-24-2014, 07:10
Last Memorial Day Weekend, during my section hike, I awoke to heavy frost at Siler's Bald Shelter outside Franklin, NC. I was very glad I had a warm jacket as I was eating breakfast and breaking camp. It warmed up very quickly, however. I'd definitely bring a lightweight synthetic jacket (like a Thermawrap) or a fleece. I tend to get cold easily. :)

bigcranky
03-24-2014, 07:24
Yeah, I'd take a fleece jacket or a light down or synthetic puffy even for a May start. Especially since you are from Miami. When we did the Georgia section in early June, we had frost on our tents the first couple of days. As rafe says, when you're hiking it's fine (and in May it'll warm up during the day) but sitting around camp at night or in the morning in freezing temps can be chilly :) (I wouldn't take fleece tights or anything -- instead I'd stick my legs inside my sleeping bag while hanging around in camp.)

That Columbia fleece seems fine, especially for the price. It'll be bulky and somewhat heavy, but you'll probably be able to send it home by mid-June and get it back again when you get into New England. If you end up needing more warm clothing up north, you can buy it when you get there.

(If you have lots of extra money to spend (or a relative who wants to get you a going away present :) ) then one of the light puffy jackets like a Patagonia down sweater or Nanopuff would be the expensive but light option.)

Slo-go'en
03-24-2014, 09:17
Starting late May, it's unlikely you'll need a thermal layer for your legs. You do need a light jacket, heavy shirt or sweater of some kind. A fleece vest would probably be enough. You'll be hiking in t-shirts, but at night it can get chilly.

Zippy Morocco
03-24-2014, 09:19
Two layers stated with me the whole trip. A Patagonia capilene 4 hoody and a merino 1 top (for sleeping in). The cap 4 is an incredible layer.

Weather-man
03-24-2014, 09:33
Odds are very slim that you'll need a thermal layer for your legs for hiking though if you hike in shorts you may want to consider a lightweight pair of merino or capilene thermal pants.

In May I'll still carry a mid weight Merino top and bottom for sleeping as I use my bag as a blanket when I can get away with it and the Merino layer keeps the chill off when I move around.

I would recommend that you look into the light weight puffy options instead of the fleece. Some items that have worked well for me for camp clothes are the Patagonia Nano-puff and an old down vest that I've had for years. I've recently switched out the nano-puff for a Borah gear vest...very well made and incredibly light.

If you're not used to the cold your biggest challenge will be smartly dressing "down" for hiking. As has been said you'll generate your own heat and will quickly sweat through your clothes if you're wearing too much on the move. A technique that may work for you is to take an clothing adjustment break about 10 min after starting to walk. By then you'll be warmed up and you can remove the extra clothes.

lars3212
03-24-2014, 23:00
I am planning on heading out NOBO May 1st, or sometime late April. The only thing I have yet to hammer out gear wise is a sweater of some sort. I plan on bringing a synthetic tshirt, and longsleeve, but I am not sure if I should bring a simple medium weight fleece like this http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___50249 , perhaps something cheaper from Wally World, or a heavier winter jacket. I'm not sure what kind of weather I should prepare for since I am starting out so late.
I am a Miami native, who has never seen snow, so I have no idea what kind of insulation I would need. I figured I could wear both the tshirt, longsleeve, fleece, and my rain shell if it got too cold, but I'm not 100% sure. Should I get another thermal layer for my legs?
Thanks for the help.

Hi warturkey,

I'm considering a late-April or early-May start to by NOBO as well. Would you mind sharing your overall clothing list?

Kc Fiedler
03-25-2014, 00:03
I'll be starting May 14th and plan to carry a 50 degree quilt, 10D nylon pants and jacket, short sleeve polyester tee, long sleeve polyester tee, thin polyester hoodie, thin polyester leggings, polyester running shorts w/ liners, marmot essence rain coat, and thick sleeping socks for night.

Lots of individually thin layers that added together will make up my complete system and should allow me to sleep down into the 40's if necessary.

Layering system may change. Play it safe you can always send home unused stuff. You'll know after a week on the trail what you do and don't need. There's always some guess work on layering when planning for a trip.

warturkey117
03-25-2014, 00:28
Wow... Muchas gracias for all the help guys, I took your advice, and decided on a Montbell UL Down Jacket. Had them for $108 on their outlet page.
Lars... I plan on wearing a synthetic T-shirt, maybe with some kind of meshing on the armpits. A long sleeve synthetic, or light wool, and the Montbell UL when it gets chilly. I've also got an old Colombia rain/wind shell from a few years back that I intend to use if it rains at camp. Hope that helps lars.

bigcranky
03-25-2014, 12:23
The Montbell UL Down Inner is a great piece. Have a good hike.

CarlZ993
03-25-2014, 13:45
A fleece or synthetic-fill jacket w/ long underwear top & bottom should be sufficient for a May start. As noted above, the weather can vary greatly. The last day that it snowed on me last year was May 13th. It didn't stick. But, it was chilly in VA @ Thunderhill Shelter that evening. Glad I didn't send home my winter stuff.

rafe
03-25-2014, 16:00
This is just my thing, maybe. I usually carry a long sleeve flannel shirt, either wool or synthetic blend (not cotton!) With a base layer under it and a thin rain jacket over it, I'm good to about 30 degrees F or so. With the base layer + flannel, good to around 45 degrees. It's rugged enough to wear while hiking, if need be. Because it's not cotton, it'll insulate even when it's damp or wet.

But I repeat -- it can't be cotton. 99% of the flannel sold at most retail outlets is cotton. blair.com sells synthetic flannel shirts. Or if you want the good stuff, check out Pendleton for real wool flannel shirts. (Very comfortable!!!)

Kc Fiedler
03-25-2014, 19:11
This is just my thing, maybe. I usually carry a long sleeve flannel shirt, either wool or synthetic blend (not cotton!) With a base layer under it and a thin rain jacket over it, I'm good to about 30 degrees F or so. With the base layer + flannel, good to around 45 degrees. It's rugged enough to wear while hiking, if need be. Because it's not cotton, it'll insulate even when it's damp or wet.

But I repeat -- it can't be cotton. 99% of the flannel sold at most retail outlets is cotton. blair.com sells synthetic flannel shirts. Or if you want the good stuff, check out Pendleton for real wool flannel shirts. (Very comfortable!!!)

Plus a flannel plaid shirt gives you like +10 woods lore skill.

rafe
03-25-2014, 21:29
Ducks, geese and sheep know about keeping warm. Quality wool still makes for great outdoor clothing.

JumpMaster Blaster
03-26-2014, 21:54
Odds are very slim that you'll need a thermal layer for your legs for hiking though if you hike in shorts you may want to consider a lightweight pair of merino or capilene thermal pants.

In May I'll still carry a mid weight Merino top and bottom for sleeping as I use my bag as a blanket when I can get away with it and the Merino layer keeps the chill off when I move around.

I would recommend that you look into the light weight puffy options instead of the fleece. Some items that have worked well for me for camp clothes are the Patagonia Nano-puff and an old down vest that I've had for years. I've recently switched out the nano-puff for a Borah gear vest...very well made and incredibly light.

If you're not used to the cold your biggest challenge will be smartly dressing "down" for hiking. As has been said you'll generate your own heat and will quickly sweat through your clothes if you're wearing too much on the move. A technique that may work for you is to take an clothing adjustment break about 10 min after starting to walk. By then you'll be warmed up and you can remove the extra clothes.

Excellent idea. I see way too many people in my profession get "scared" of 40 degree weather & put on every piece of gear issued to them. In about 20 minutes they wish they could take everything off.

The only thing that would concern me as far as legs go would be wind, which I had to deal with on my training hike today. I actually wore a pair of 5.11 cotton *GASP* pants.

Shonryu
03-27-2014, 08:51
I'm an UL backpacker and I am always trying to find ways to cut my weight down. I made a bad mistake one time thinking that I wouldnt need them even after spending 2 weeks before my trip watching weather reports and extended forecasts. I've since now learned a hard lesson. Its better to have them and not need them then to need them and not have them.

I dont care if its 100 outside. You will always find a base layer in my pack, a light weight fleece hat, a thin pair of gloves, original buff, and a light weight down 5oz down jacket. Mother nature isn't always forgiving and I have seen some craziness in terms of extreme weather changes.

Shonryu
03-27-2014, 09:03
Just to add to things I live in VA and live below sea level. We had snow the other day and this morning it was 22 degrees outside. With elevation gains it would be much colder. I leave for a one month section hike during the middle of April and have been watching the weather. I will be backpacking from TN > VA > WV > MD > PA and In looking at the weather forcasts I'm still expecting lows to be in the 20s on some nights. Its been a Cray winter this year probably one of the coldest ive seen in a very long time. I dont plan on underestimating the weather.

Rain Man
03-27-2014, 12:18
You don't mention what you're taking to sleep in, unless I missed it. My coldest, most sleepless night ever on the AT was a July night on top of Standing Indian Mountain in NC just over the line from GA. I was thinking "hot summer" and only took a fleece zip blanket. No tent or tarp. That cold 5,000' night wind blew clouds/fog through that blanket all night long. I learned my lesson.

As far as your list of daytime hiking clothing, I'd be good in what you list, plus a thermal layer for legs under the rain pants.

My reading over the years seems to yield a rule of thumb of not to ditch your winter gear until after Mount Rogers in VA. YMMV.

Rain Man