PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight rain jacket advice....

saltysack
03-24-2014, 06:47
Currently use OR Forey goretex rain jacket. I like it but a little heavy @ 16 oz and thick as temps rise...any reccs??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedBeerd
03-24-2014, 06:48
o2 rainwear originial hooded jacket. got 2 for 45 bucks. size Large 6.5oz on my scale.

The Cleaner
03-24-2014, 08:07
GoLite Tumalo about 10ozs and $75 from their webstore....

Weather-man
03-24-2014, 08:31
about 4.5 oz with pit zips and taped. I bought this 2 months ago and have worn it 3 or 4 times. Love it though I wouldn't go bush whacking through brambles with it. Fits very well and is scary light.

http://www.lukesultralite.com/content/pertex-rain-shell

mak1277
03-24-2014, 09:31
about 4.5 oz with pit zips and taped. I bought this 2 months ago and have worn it 3 or 4 times. Love it though I wouldn't go bush whacking through brambles with it. Fits very well and is scary light.

Luke's also sells a Gore-tex paclite jacket which is a little heavier (7.5 oz) but a little tougher. I got it with pitzips for ~$120. Nice thing is the customer service you get with a cottage manufacturer. I traded a bunch of emails with Luke prior to ordering and he made my jacket with longer sleeves to fit my arms.

Tim Causa
03-24-2014, 10:16
I have a Mont Bell versalite; it's full featured with pit zips, hem cord and Velcro/elastic on the wrists and an adjustable hood and it's only like 6.7 oz. Also, what about frog togs?

louisb
03-24-2014, 10:20
Using a ZPacks CF poncho/ground sheet and really like it. Weighs in at 5 oz.

--louis

q-tip
03-24-2014, 10:22
Marmot Mica--7 oz.//Go Lite Tumalo for colder weather 10 oz.

Kc Fiedler
03-24-2014, 10:42

Thanks for linking this! I love when people show me new and lighter options!

Shonryu
03-25-2014, 02:54
Marmot Mica--7 oz.//Go Lite Tumalo for colder weather 10 oz.
+1 on the Mica. Love mine

T-Rx
03-25-2014, 08:47
Marmot Precip. Love mine.

Robb871
03-25-2014, 10:41
Thanks for this thread. This is the one thing I am lacking in my current setup!!!

saltysack
03-25-2014, 11:07
Dri ducks??

Kc Fiedler
03-25-2014, 11:33
Dri ducks??

Google it. Quack quack.

saltysack
03-25-2014, 11:38
Google it. Quack quack.

Y I know what it is haven't used..like the price and weight... Looking for user feed back... Prob keep goretex for winter treks and lighter for warmer months

shakey_snake
03-25-2014, 12:39
driducks get knocked for not being durable, but when you can buy 7 complete suits for the price of one laminated jacket, at any Walmart you go to...

Kerosene
03-25-2014, 13:00
I bought a DriDucks rainsuit for my newbie daughter for our week-long section hiking. I think she's worn it twice now and it should do just fine on a groomed trail. Can't beat the price or weight, but it is sized overly large and I wouldn't want to spend days backpacking in it.

Shonryu
03-27-2014, 08:32
I used to use Dri Ducks before moving to my Marmot Mica. They are light, cheap, and breath very well compared to a lot of other shells. The pants tend to be a sweat box but I dont know of any rain shell pants that are breathable. I now use a Zpacks cuban rain kilt and would never go back to using rain pants again. By far one of the best upgrades to my backpacking gear in a long time.

If you decide to got with Dri Ducks remember they run a size large. So keep that in mind when ordering. Even a size down was baggy on me. I wore mine for a full season and never had an issue with them except for at the hem on the pants. They were torn up because they were dragging on the ground. No fault of the pants. The same would have applied to any other rain pants. I later just cut them down amd patched then with some duct take and never had an issue.

Mando12
03-27-2014, 09:23
I got a Packa a few weeks ago and have had one good hike in the rain with it--performed excellently. It is lighter than my pack cover and poncho--which it replaced. I really like that you can put it on the pack as a cover when you start out and then pull the jacket on as needed, while on the go. No removing the pack. NFI.
http://www.thepacka.com/

Cedar Tree
03-27-2014, 11:53
A 10d Packa is about 7.5 oz. Just got back yesterday from a very snowy hike near Hot Springs. I was very pleased at how the 10D handled snow and cold wind.
CT

RedBeerd
03-27-2014, 20:52

1000mm waterproof. does that even qualify as waterproof?

Weather-man
03-27-2014, 21:25
1000mm waterproof. does that even qualify as waterproof?

From Luke's web site....

NOTES: This jacket is recommended for guys where weight is the highest priority. No it is not as waterproof as my other jackets , but yes it is waterproof. Not recommended for extremely wet environments.

For me I believe this will suffice. Personally I sweat hard...always. Whenever I wear a rain shell, regardless of fabric, I'm going to wet out from the inside. I liberally use pit zips as well as operate under the assumption that I'll be wet regardless, just warm wet hopefully.

Mr Jellybread
03-27-2014, 22:12
Another vote for the old frogg togg / driducks.

Prime Time
03-27-2014, 23:37
+1 on the Mica. Love mine
Love my Marmot Mica too. I wore it the whole way on a thru last year and other than some of the friction tape on the shoulders wearing off, it is in perfect shape. One of the 2 or 3 best peices of gear I brought.

Hangfire
03-28-2014, 01:49
Used my Marmot precip on the Camino last fall, worked great in wind and light rain but I got soaked to the bone in a 6 hour down pour. I'm trying Driducks for the AT.

eghama
03-28-2014, 04:36
Saltysack - The OR Foray is a good jacket with a unique feature that is really great for hiking with a pack. The side pit zips go all the way down to the bottom of the hem, allowing you to keep your pack waist belt cinched under your jacket and not over it. This is very important as this will open up your jacket and allow get fresh air in and circulate. Good luck on your hike.

saltysack
03-28-2014, 12:14
Saltysack - The OR Foray is a good jacket with a unique feature that is really great for hiking with a pack. The side pit zips go all the way down to the bottom of the hem, allowing you to keep your pack waist belt cinched under your jacket and not over it. This is very important as this will open up your jacket and allow get fresh air in and circulate. Good luck on your hike.
I love my Forey for colder weather but figured would be lil hot in summer months...

fins1838
03-28-2014, 13:45
Glad trash bag ;-)