PDA

View Full Version : Brunton Solar Charger

myakka_
03-24-2014, 07:58
I just got a new gadget. It is a solar charger for the cell phone or other electronic device. It has an on-board battery that can charge most phones twice. It can take a charge from the solar cell on the back or from plugging in to a usb charger or laptop (not included).

So I plugged it in just to get it started. Then I charged my smart phone off of it. Took a couple of hours but worked.

Here is a listing at walmart, but it is an older model:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brunton-Ember-Power-Pack-2800mAh-2x-Charge-Solar/33737316

The current one has the same specs, but different graphics and is about $40.00

I will be taking this camping this week and will give a review when I get back.

shelterbuilder
03-24-2014, 19:59
If it was listed in the description, I missed it, but remember that if this is a mono- or poly-crystalline solar cell, ANY shading of the cell will sharply diminish the unit's output. They need full, direct sunlight to function properly. Let us know how it works.

myakka_
03-24-2014, 20:04
Thanks for the advice. I will follow up. They recommend charging it before you leave the house then using the solar side to keep it topped off. Seems like it would work best for 3 or 4 day trips, but longer would be a stretch. I am going down river this week, so I should have a good idea of how well it works.

TOW
03-28-2014, 09:37
How many charges can you get on your phone with this thing?

myakka_
03-28-2014, 10:31
It said 2, but I just got back from a kayak camping trip and it did 1. Then it took so long to recharge that my phone would have not made it if I didn't shut it off for most of the day. (That's what I normally do anyway, but thought I had an alternative.)

I am not totally sold on this thing yet. Seems okay for an emergency backup, but not a way to "stay charged" for days.