PDA

View Full Version : Inflating a Neoair Xtherm

Nooga
03-24-2014, 13:34
I have recently acquired a Neoair Xtherm that comes with a stuff sack that doubles as a pump sack. Would it be detrimental to just blow it up? I have a Neoair Xlite that has seen probably 100 nights and so far, no negative impact from just blowing it up.

HooKooDooKu
03-24-2014, 13:57
My 1st neoair had the reflective lining deteriorate from the moisture of using my breath. I've since gotten it replaced under warranty and now I always us a bag to inflate the neoair. However, I use a garbage can liner with a small hole in a corner and a rubber band to hold it in place. Others have used their pack liner and simply held the open end of the bag over the inflation valve (haven't managed to figure out how to do that one myself without far too much of the air going around the valve rather than in it).

Spiffyguy
03-24-2014, 18:57
I blow up my xtherm. Left the bag at hope. Just roll it up with a rubber band. From the therm-a-rest site. Figured it would work for me. your mileage may vary.

Will moisture build-up and ruin my mattress if I blow into it?No. We have spent decades refining our coatings and fabrics to withstand such things and this assurance of lasting quality separates Therm-a-Rest mattresses from every other competitor. However, minimizing moisture is always a good idea. Always allow self-inflating mattresses to inflate on their own as much as possible, then just top them off with a few breaths at the end for added firmness. We also recommend storing your mattress unrolled and with the valve open. This keeps the foam core at maximum loft and allows any moisture build-up to evaporate slowly.

Damn Yankee
03-24-2014, 21:03
I thought the moist air from your mouth in below freezing weather would make it freeze inside and possibly ruin the pad. I read to allays you the pump, a pump, bicycle pump, what ever.

CarlZ993
03-24-2014, 22:12
I would guess that minimizing moisture would help maximize the life of the pad. I added a inflation pump sack (large) in VA & used it on the rest of the hike. Been using it every since. Speeds up the inflation dramatically. It did add additional weight, though (~2.7 oz).
http://www.rei.com/product/829892/therm-a-rest-neoair-pump-sack

Starvin Marvin
03-25-2014, 08:12
Or you could use this microburst pump > https://www.camp-tek.com

seems like only 2.3 aditional ozs. Including batteries.

10-K
03-25-2014, 08:34
I just blow mine up... If I can get a year out of it I'm happy.

I've had 3-4 Neoairs over the years and they've all eventually developed problems and one thing I don't want to depend on when I'm hiking is a patched air mattress. I've got 2 that'll inflate but are patched and I still ordered a new one for the PCT.

Sara
03-25-2014, 09:31
I blow mine up. The fuss factor of using a bag or pump isn't worth moisture protection for me. :)

Nooga
03-25-2014, 14:44
Thanks for the input. I think I will just blow it up.

10-K
03-25-2014, 15:26
Thanks for the input. I think I will just blow it up.

When I need to carry accessories to blow up an air mattress that'll be the day. :)

Venchka
03-25-2014, 18:41
The Cascade Designs' Xtherm manual:

Read "To Inflate" Clear as mud.

http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/Air_Mat_Brochure_EN.pdf

Wayne

Venchka
03-25-2014, 18:42
This is written for the self-inflating pads. Not the Neo-Air models.

Wayne

I blow up my xtherm. Left the bag at hope. Just roll it up with a rubber band. From the therm-a-rest site. Figured it would work for me. your mileage may vary.

Will moisture build-up and ruin my mattress if I blow into it?

No. We have spent decades refining our coatings and fabrics to withstand such things and this assurance of lasting quality separates Therm-a-Rest mattresses from every other competitor. However, minimizing moisture is always a good idea. Always allow self-inflating mattresses to inflate on their own as much as possible, then just top them off with a few breaths at the end for added firmness. We also recommend storing your mattress unrolled and with the valve open. This keeps the foam core at maximum loft and allows any moisture build-up to evaporate slowly.