PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike Recommendations?

Coolhandluke
03-24-2014, 16:52
Hey,
New here, figured this would be a great place to get some input on some recommended section hikes. Some background info about what I'm looking for:
Trying to do it in New England (I was thinking VT or NH)
About a 5 or 6 days worth of hiking
Not trying to pay for camping, or at least as little as possible

A few friends and I are trying to do a hike at the end of summer break (as we are college students) and figured a nice end to the summer would be a fun hike. While not all of the people in the group are experienced hikers, we are all able bodied and could manage quite a bit. Any recommendations would be appreciated, even if they are recommendations of a certain part to avoid. I have done some looking around on this site as well as others and in books, but I think that getting some options from people who have done the hikes would be best. Let me know what y'all are thinking, just trying to start the planning process now.
Coolhandluke

AngelEyez
03-24-2014, 18:58
Mahoosucs......... hard but oh so fun :) :banana let face it night time on top is sweet < not a threw yet but done this hike in prep did Maine side.... Grafton notch loop trail and other falls that are great can make a real week of it and not to fare from town if u need a hitch in....)

rafe
03-24-2014, 20:42
The Long Trail is pretty nice, it can be had "easy" or tough as nails. Mohoosucs, yep, or almost any part of the AT in Maine. Gorham to Grafton Notch is a mellow 3 or 4 day trip, and if you have time left over, continue on north to Baldpate. You can use Andover, ME as a base of operations once you get to Grafton Notch; it's a hiker-friendly town.

Rangeley to Stratton, Stratton to Caratunk, or Caratunk to Monson -- each of these could make a decent 3 or 4 day section.