PDA

View Full Version : Hiking partner or group?

jason835
03-24-2014, 17:27
I started hiking quite a bit this year and have been doing it solo so far. I tried camping overnight by myself and found out that having someone else there would have made the trip alot better.

So....I'm stepping out of my comfort zone here! I'm somewhat of an introvert, so meeting new people is actually kind of scary for me. (even typing up this post took me a week) But the love of hiking and overnight backpacking has really taken over.

I'm looking to find a hiking partner, or even better, a group of people that already hike, that I can go with.

I live in Tuscaloosa, AL and have been hiking various places within AL. Pinhoti, Sipsey Wilderness (which btw, is SOOOOO beautiful!). I'd really like to make it over to the AT sometime this year.

For now though, maybe starting sometime in April, I'd like to do a 1-2 night trip. I'd love to meet up with someone. I'm willing to drive 4-5 hours if needed (Springer Mountain is 5 hrs away).

Let me know! :)

Jason

Hoss Cat
03-29-2014, 19:55
I may be up for doing a section starting at Springer or really anywhere for that matter. I have recently gotten back into hiking and bike touring after a break due to family and work. My twins are turning 5 this summer, and they are a little more self sufficient - so I won't feel too guilty leaving my wife for a few days or a couple weeks. Most of my friends that I used to go on trips with are too involved with careers to take any time off. I am a teacher, and love to take full advantage of my summers. I am located in Western KY now - probably about 6 hours from you - but I don't mind to travel. I don't mind solo trips, but I much prefer having a friend or two with me. Actually I have the week off during starting 4/3 - 4/12 for spring break. I was planning on doing a several day hike on a local trail during that time to test out some new gear, but I could just as easily go anywhere remotely close.

jason835
03-31-2014, 10:00
I just wanted to post something really quick. I did get a couple of messages and might try to meet up this coming weekend. No concrete plans are set yet.

If you might be interested in a long weekend of hiking (probably Saturday thru Tuesday), reply to this post or send me a private message.

WingedMonkey
03-31-2014, 10:09
I tried camping overnight by myself and found out that having someone else there would have made the trip alot better.

Glad you're getting out into the woods.

I'm curious as to why you feel having someone else there would make the trip better.

jason835
03-31-2014, 10:16
Well, I don't mind hiking alone (the actual walking through the woods part). But when I spent a night the first time about a month or so ago, it got really lonely. I can only stare at the camp fire for so long.

Another reason is that I'm trying to socialize more, I'm a bit of a loner. I am able to talk with people when I have something in common with them (computers, hunting, hiking). Hopefully in this process I can make some friends too! :)

WingedMonkey
03-31-2014, 11:08
Well, I don't mind hiking alone (the actual walking through the woods part). But when I spent a night the first time about a month or so ago, it got really lonely. I can only stare at the camp fire for so long.

Another reason is that I'm trying to socialize more, I'm a bit of a loner. I am able to talk with people when I have something in common with them (computers, hunting, hiking). Hopefully in this process I can make some friends too! :)

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

slbirdnerd
03-31-2014, 15:22
Have you ever tried a Meetup Group, if there are any in your area? I'm pretty quiet too, and no one--I mean NO ONE--in my existing circle enjoys backpacking). I was actually out backpacking alone when I met a backpacking meetup group out for an overnight and joined them around the campfire for the evening. What a blast! I've since joined their group and a couple others.

Go to Meetup.com. I found Montgomery Backpackers, Birmingham Adventure Group and Outdoor Club South Birmingham Chapter. They don't have to be real close to you, if you're willing to drive. Three of the four Meetups I joined are 1.5-2 hours from me.

Matthikes
03-31-2014, 17:32
I'd be up for some weekend overnighters on on some of the GA AT sections. I live in Dahlonega so I am pretty close to the trail. I unfortunately have things going on every weekend in April but May is clear so far. I am a quiet person and enjoy being out in the woods. I have not done any overnight trips on the trail but I need to get out there and see how my gear works out. Feel free to pm me if you would like to meet up for a short trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2