PDA

View Full Version : Neoair?

mtntopper
03-24-2014, 17:34
Has anyone used a Neoair pad in your WBBB hammock double layer?
If so which one did you use and what was your experience?
What other pads have you used?
I have a hammock gear 3/4 length uq that I use sometimes, I am just looking for some other ideas.

gunner76
03-24-2014, 20:01
While I have not used a Neoair pad I have used similar inflatable pads in my BB 1.7 dbl. Could not use fully inflated. Found a regular wide CCF pad more comfortable. I find a UQ more comfortable than any pads I have used.

mainebob
03-24-2014, 23:12
I am using a neo air with a segmented pad extender and that works well in my hammock. This system given me the option to sleep in the shelter if I want to.
I show my system here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPTdiCDbNW0

Shonryu
03-25-2014, 02:50
I've been a long time hanger and own several hammocks. But I dont own a WEBB or a double layer hammock. So I cant speak to using it in a double layer but I personally dont like using pads in a hammock. Im a side sleeper and I move around a lot in my sleep and I find myself off of my pad more then on. When I hang I usually use a 3/4 UQ and a GG nitelite pad for legs and feet. If I need to go to ground I use the pad for my torso and my pack for my legs and feet. This always works for me. For me it defeats the purpose of hanging if your using a pad and you may as well just go with a ground set up. If you plan to hang dont short change yourself and get a UQ.

Ive grown to enjoy sleeping in shelters for the social aspect and simplicity of setting up camp. That and cowboy camping lately. I usually just carry a tarp/ bivy combo. Its lighter then any other option and a neoair xlite for my ground pad. I couldn't imagine using it in a hammock. Ive used other pads and as already mentioned never found it comfortable. I usually put in 30+ miles a day and sleep better knowing I wasn't carrying an extra 2lbs on my back doing it. But that's just me :)

gunner76
03-25-2014, 13:20
I find myself off of my pad more then on.

Pads work best in double layer hammocks at they help to hold the pad in place. You still get some slippage but not like when trying to use that pad in a single layer hammock. Some people do use a pad in a single layer hammock but I am not one them. I have approx 30 hammocks ( store bought and DIY's ). Most of my DIY's hammocks are double layer and I do not leave a area open to use a pad anymore as I use UQ's as they are more comfortable that pads.

However some people my be camping in a areas where they may not be able to use their hammock each night and have to go to ground and that's when a pad would be good to have,

kunzman
03-25-2014, 15:36
I slip my pad in my sleeping bag and thus eliminate slippage.

RyanO20
04-24-2014, 12:06
I've got a neoair xlite and have put a few silicone seams on the back site and dots on the bag side. In your experiences, do you think this would work as hammock insulation? I'm new to the hanging game, but I'm intrigued by the ease of set-up and the expanded campsite options (ie dont need level ground). I already have the pad, and I don't wanna rush out and buy a UQ just yet. Thanks!

scope
04-30-2014, 08:46
I've got a neoair xlite and have put a few silicone seams on the back site and dots on the bag side. In your experiences, do you think this would work as hammock insulation? I'm new to the hanging game, but I'm intrigued by the ease of set-up and the expanded campsite options (ie dont need level ground). I already have the pad, and I don't wanna rush out and buy a UQ just yet. Thanks!

Yes, its insulation, just like it is on the ground. As with any air pad, it will cool some overnite as your body temp decreases. The other issue with pads is width, since the hammock wraps around you. Generally, the 20" wide pads are not enough width, but plenty of folks use them because the important thing is to keep the bottom of your torso warm. The cold from the sides of the hammock might wake you up, but won't affect you as much as being cold on your bottom.

tammons
08-18-2014, 19:50
Just tried something that might work for you.
Klymit Inertia X Wave Pad.

Was looking for a short wide pad and this is it.
Almost completely eliminates shoulder crunch and has a few side holes in it
so it should breath some.

I personally think its fine inside the hammock.
Probably needs a wide 1/8th pad to go with it that I am working on and that will go between the layers of a double hammock..

Does not work for me right way around due to the pillow so I reversed it which puts the auxiliary pump bulb at your right hand.

dhagan
11-06-2014, 16:12
I have used the neoair trekker in my wbbb. I also have a big agnes bag. The only problem I had was when I would roll to my side, sometimes my shoulder would come off pad and get cold. Ive bought some reflectix to put between the layers to see if that works. Havent tried it yet.

LogHiking
12-01-2014, 15:24
Has anyone used a Neoair pad in your WBBB hammock double layer?
If so which one did you use and what was your experience?
What other pads have you used?
I have a hammock gear 3/4 length uq that I use sometimes, I am just looking for some other ideas.

This will put me in a pretty heavy minority but I don't find hammocks more comfortable between a good CCF pad and an UQ. Assuming one has a double layer I actually prefer using a long wide ridgerest as it reduces fiddle factor and cold spot potential for me. With that said I found inflatables to be a much different experience and did change the dynamics of of the lay and thus effected the comfort quite a bit. Still more comfy than the ground, but considerably less comfy than the UQs/CCF in a double layer.

The biggest problems with pads IMO is the condensation and difficulty getting full coverage (shoulders and hips) compared to an UQ. I never once had an issue with condensation on a pad after lots of nights in lots of different conditions and I think that is due to my preferring ridgerest over a flat pad without any surfacing and my using a double layer. The surfacing of the ridgerest and the layer of hammock between the two cause enough gaps that it greatly reduces condensation. As far as getting the shoulders and hips covered, I didn't find anything I considered light enough and lacking enough fiddle factor and eventually went back to the ground.

My experience is unique to my desires while out in the woods and is by no means a knock on hanging. I still think hanging is more comfy than the ground. But things just kept adding on and that is what eventually sent me back to the ground for backpacking. For example, I found a full length UQ a la the HG incubator to be the most effective bottom insulation for me. With that said I found it to be pretty heavy for colder weather versions, at least at the higher end of what I considered acceptable. Then I found myself uncomfortable with that much down hanging under me very exposed. So the response to that was to get an UQ protector, which is where I drew the line personally. More weight and stuff to add just to get a warm hang in 40-50 degree weather bothered me.

My favorite cold weather set up was a long wide ridgerest and an exped multimat folded in half (length wise so a short wide pad is created with 2.4 additional r value) to provide hip and shoulder protection. I took that combo down into the teens a couple times very comfortably. Again, ultimately that just proved to be a little too much stuff for me personally. I think if I could find a light enough SPE (segmented pad extender) that you could remove the CCF on the sides to allow you to change its thickness I may have kept hanging a bit longer. But no one was making them and I can't sew very well. The ENO version was heavy and the CCF it came with was too thin to be effective below 50 degrees.

Just my .02. HYOY and find what works best for you. I hope that provided some alternate insight for you.