PDA

View Full Version : Gear Addiction

Nearly Normal
09-17-2005, 03:59
http://www.spectrumthunderbolt.com/

pete56

Just Jeff
09-17-2005, 09:43
Nah. I'll wait until they combine it with the cell phone, camera, camcorder, two-way radio, palm pilot, mp3 player, gps, am/fm/tv receiver, ham radio, ps3, x-box, and backpack generator.

Neat gadget, though.

Mountain Hippie
09-17-2005, 11:42
I'll wait until they offer the gadget that allows you to contol the weather. :)

neo
09-17-2005, 23:01
i have my cast,which has animated doppler weather radar all kinds of neat stuff on my cell phone for almost a year and a half now,i get weather reports any were i can get a cell signal kinda cool seeing whats going on
radar and getting weather for cast check my yahoo email also,all from my cell phone:cool: neo

Kerosene
09-17-2005, 23:16
I'll wait until they offer the gadget that allows you to contol the weather. :)I agree. This won't do you a whole lot of good if you don't have anywhere to go to get away from the lightning. Unless you know that you're about to cross 5 miles of exposed terrain with an approaching storm, then I don't see how this would really help on the trail.

However, it would be great for soccer refs. I lost a long-time soccer buddy to a lightning strike at an outdoor field after a storm had apparently passed through.

Nearly Normal
09-18-2005, 02:44
I thought the device was funny. I'll wait for the HAL 2010 model that talks.:dance
....seek shelter:(

....run like hell:confused:

....place head between legs and kiss your ass goodbye:eek:

Lightning isn't funny, anyone hiking in it knows just how funny it aint.:datz

Pete

Tin Man
09-18-2005, 07:27
Looks expensive. I bet a 10 foot metal rod held in a verticle position would work just as well, although that would not be ultralight. I know - hold your hiking poles above your head and when your hands begin to tingle, follow Pete's advice - seek shelter, run, kiss it goodbye.

neighbor dave
09-18-2005, 08:53
will that tell me when the cops are about to taser my arse???:jump :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump :banana :banana :banana

bogey
09-18-2005, 09:26
I agree. This won't do you a whole lot of good if you don't have anywhere to go to get away from the lightning. Unless you know that you're about to cross 5 miles of exposed terrain with an approaching storm, then I don't see how this would really help on the trail.

However, it would be great for soccer refs. I lost a long-time soccer buddy to a lightning strike at an outdoor field after a storm had apparently passed through.
I lost a school pal when we were kids.

we were swimming at a supervised pool. when the weather blew up, the lifeguards evacuated the pool, so we started home. Lightening scored a direct hit on his bicycle.

too young to think it through.

gumby
09-18-2005, 12:36
Back in '74 when I was hiking at Philmont a buddy and I went up to the Tooth of Time (a great lookout) to watch a storm in the distance. Well we realized that it was fast approaching. We started to hightail it back to camp when lightning struck nearby. Not close enough to hurt us but the ground shock made our hair stand up. If it wasn't short now it'd probably still be standing up.

Got hit again a few years later, not a fun experience. Now I know what the cat on National Lampoons Christmas Vacation felt like when it bit through the Christmas lights.

Have also been hit by 110, 220 and 480. The 480 made me lift off the floor and slammed me back about 20 feet into a locker. I was dazed but the locker was a goner. My boss asked me to do it again, he only saw the landing, not the takeoff. I was working on a piece of equipment at a newspaper at the time, wrong circuit breaker was turned off.

If you want to see what a direct lightning strike can do to sand you can watch the movie "Sweet home Alabama", real cool.

Later, Marc