PDA

View Full Version : Going stoveless in SNP

redseal
03-26-2014, 19:03
Hi all,
I am planning on section hiking Waynesboro to Bear's Den when the facilities are open. I was thinking of going stoveless because I plan to partake in dining options here and there leaving me with only a few dinners I need to take. I have gone stoveless before and have my usual dinner options, but I was curious as to what I can find at the waysides to buy and take with me. Can anybody tell me what types of food the waysides sell? In particular do they have things like bagels, tortillas, lunch meat, cheese, etc.?

Thanks for the help.

johnnybgood
03-26-2014, 21:55
Going stoveless through SNP is easy Russ .
Your typical wayside food from the grill is burgers, assorted sandwiches like grilled cheese , bbq , Virginia ham, etc.

Big Meadows Wayside opens this friday and offers assorted hiker food , in addition to lunch meat and bagels in their camp store section next to the restaraunt .
Lewis Mountain Camp store also in the central district has a good selection of hiker food. Loft Mountain Wayside is separate from the campstore . I'd go to the campstore, short but steep uphill climb off the AT about 75 yds.

Elk Wallow Wayside is small but hiker food stuff can be found . And of course there are the lodges at Skyland and Big Meadows if you don't mind dropping some serious coin.

redseal
03-27-2014, 08:26
Thanks for the info! Glad to hear I will not have to pack out Pop-tarts for dinner!

Coffee
03-27-2014, 08:32
I won't be going stoveless on my hike next month but I am planning on eating at each of the waysides and at Skyland and buying food as needed which should greatly reduce the amount of food I will carry.

Starchild
03-27-2014, 10:40
It's a great place to go stoveless, you will not find any issue attaining food, hot and stuff to take with you. There is also excellent yogiing opportunities, the best on the trail IMHO, then again you are not thru hiking, just section hiking so I don't know if Yogi travels much with sectioners, but anyway yes no problem going stoveless here.

mikec
03-27-2014, 10:56
It used to be easier to go stoveless in SNP when the Panorama Restaurant was at the US211 intersection with the AT. I ate lunch there when I sectioned that stretch. I'm sad that it's gone.

redseal
03-27-2014, 13:15
Awesome news all! I really never yogi, but if someone offers something I will take it.

Marmaduke
04-01-2014, 11:06
I always eat so much food when I'm hiking through SNP. I think that is why it's my favorite national park.

Kingbee
04-01-2014, 11:19
Big Meadows has a nice tavern room on the lower level.