PDA

View Full Version : NOBO hike starting July....questions :)

Groundsound1
03-26-2014, 19:04
Hello APT enthusiasts!

I have a lot of questions. I am planning to hike from georgia to maine, i have been wanting to do this for many years and finally have the finances, physical health, and time to do so. I will have the freedom to do this around july, and i will need to start in georgia for a couple reasons. One being because i live in south carolina, and two because black flies are not something i want to deal with going SOBO!

But a concern to me is that come october it will start to get pretty cold, especially at higher elevations, and i expect there to be snow. Is this ideal for a hike? Should i have started sooner?

And if i do start in july, i won't be able to carry a lot of frigid winter gear with me. do you suggest that when it starts to get cold i have someone from back home send gear for the frigid winter up to a near by post office for me?

I'm reading books on this now and guides. I'm getting as much information as i can so i can be as prepared as possible for this expedition.

Any more tips on what to bring, what to prepare for, especially concering the cold times will be help! thank you very much!

I would also like to note that i will be doing this alone.

saltysack
03-26-2014, 19:12
Katadin closes in October! Hike fast or flip flop...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethisbread
03-26-2014, 19:32
you have 110 days starting on July 1 to get to katahdin on time. so average 20mpd. very fast. if you are a long distance runner in your non trail life , then I'd say it's possible, but not easy .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don H
03-26-2014, 19:38
Did you read any of the articles listed on the homepage here?

This might help:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?44

forrest!
03-26-2014, 20:45
As you read more you will realize that's probably not the best plan. Starting in July you really need to go Southbound - you can hike home...

I'm starting July 12 SOBO - hope to be home by Christmas.

map man
03-26-2014, 21:59
In a typical year the black flies in Maine are bad in June and have died down a lot by July, from what I hear. June and July are prime departure months for SOBOs while March and April are the main departure months for NOBOs. A July start does suggest either a SOBO or some kind of flip-flop, unless you are content with starting north and just seeing how long a section hike you can complete.

And welcome to Whiteblaze!:welcome

Groundsound1
03-27-2014, 10:39
Thanks guys! I've decided to do the SOBO hike and just bring DEET and a bug net. I'm going to post another topic and see if people can answer my questions concerning what to bring :)