PDA

View Full Version : BAD things about JRB

titanium_hiker
09-17-2005, 14:26
ok, sounds like a wierd thread, I guess it is, but here's the scoop. I want a loan from my parents to buy a JRB Nest. They seem to be bending, and I'm trying to convince them that I need to make my own major decisions. I've got tonnes of positive reviews to show them (DUH!!!) but they are wondering if it is some sort of scam. So, can you guys give me some cons and pros about the JRB nest.

Sounds silly eh? but please oblige. :)

titanium

bogey
09-17-2005, 15:18
I've never met the Jacks, but I've bought their product, the NEST, I think is the name, and I've had SOME limited email correspondence. I love the nest, and wish I had the wherewithall to buy the whole set!.

There!

(ok, guys, send the check to...):p

titanium_hiker
09-17-2005, 15:47
any minor and I mean little niggles, like, I don't like the colour or whatever.

I am so pumped about buying it... they are so close to relenting. :)

if anything seems to be "All roses" they seem suspicious. so please, any minor niggles.

titanium

food
09-17-2005, 15:47
When I opened my 3 season set I said "My, now that is GREEN!" My wife asked "What did you expect when you ordered something from Peter Pan?" :jump

The product was delivered quickly. The craftsmanship is excellent and the materials are as good or better than advertised. The design is simple and easy to use. The stated temperature ratings are conservative. Their products are a very good value.

On lighter note. Their site is somewhat vague about their armed forces service. I suspect that if they told us too much they would have to kill us. :banana

titanium_hiker
09-17-2005, 16:03
great- minor niggle, colours can be umm... GREEN (like the peter_pan quote)

thanks guys, that should cut it, however, I guess constructive critism would make their product even beter!

titanium

sheldon
09-17-2005, 18:49
[QUOTE=titanium_hiker]ok, sounds like a wierd thread, I guess it is, but here's the scoop. I want a loan from my parents to buy a JRB Nest. They seem to be bending, and I'm trying to convince them that I need to make my own major decisions. I've got tonnes of positive reviews to show them (DUH!!!) but they are wondering if it is some sort of scam. So, can you guys give me some cons and pros about the JRB nest.

I have recently converted to hammock backpacking and based on numerous positive comments decided to purchase a JRB no sniveller quilt. I spoke by phone with Jack (Peter Pan) and he not only got my quilt to me in time for my trip but also offered considerable advice not only with regards to his product but also with regards to hennessy hammocks. He was patient and extremely helpful even though I ignored his suggestion of getting the nest instead of the no sniveller and using it as an underquilt.
At the time I was convinced I could use a pad beneath me and his quilt as a blanket. After an unpleasant night using the pad, I used the quilt as an underquilt and had much better results. I now own the entire set and am very pleased with the performance. The gear is very well made, reasonably priced, and the added feedback and advice Jack gave me was very valuable, especially with regards to the hennessy fly. Even though he sells a canopy, he spent his time on the phone helping me with the hennessy one, that kind of customer service is rare and most appreciated. You will not be disappointed in the product nor with Jack's advice. I wish I could think of something disparaging to say, but the reality is, the product and the service are as good as it gets.

Curt
09-17-2005, 20:52
I have the under and the over quilts from Jacks R US and I am very satisfied.

:sun
Corsican

Seeker
09-17-2005, 21:10
ok, sounds like a wierd thread, I guess it is, but here's the scoop. I want a loan from my parents to buy a JRB Nest. They seem to be bending, and I'm trying to convince them that I need to make my own major decisions. I've got tonnes of positive reviews to show them (DUH!!!) but they are wondering if it is some sort of scam. So, can you guys give me some cons and pros about the JRB nest.

titanium
isn't borrowing money to buy gear one of the warning signs of gear addiction?

TH... i am also an ex-military officer... if the Jacks are vague about their service, it's proably because the details are long and boring to most poeple. a typical military bio reads like a physics text to a language arts major... full of strange and meaningless acronyms (to the non-initiate) and job changes occur about every 18-24 months... not anything like 'spent 5 years as regional sales manager for Madeup Corp'... little of it translates to civilianese, since there are few civilian job equivalnts, and most just put 'retired from the army after 20 odd years of service' and list their civilian education... imo, their military and civilian educations match the schools and service records they have posted on their site. i actually think they have posted more detail than i've seen on other manufacturers sites about the owners of said company... other's opinions of the quality of their products matches what i'd expect for their work ethic, and i plan on buying an underquilt myself toward the end of the year (lows are still in the high 70s here at night... won't cool down until novembrrr.)

bottom line is, i trust 'em.

Ratbert
09-17-2005, 22:12
I just recently purchased a Nest and a bottom Weather Shield from JRB and can attest to their awesome customer service.

The temps haven't been low enough here in Georgia to really test it out, but the workmanship and the fit on my HH is superb. I had some questions about whether or not I was installing it correctly around the hammock's opening and sent them an email, thinking that in a couple of days I might get a response, or a canned FAQ link, but almost instantly (late at night) I received a thoughtful, personal email that answered all my questions.

Then, the next day I received another email telling me to please inspect my weather shield because they had received some with the tabs incorrectly attached and they were afraid that I might have gotten one of them. (I hadn't even opened it up yet) Sure enough, the tabs were wrong and JRB immediately mailed me another, without waiting for me to return the first one. In short, they identified the potential problem and fixed it before I was even aware of anything being wrong.

Yes, they are expensive. And yes, they are certainly GREEN! But I can say from experience that you can buy from JRB without any fears.

(I would like to see them make an underquilt with box baffles though, for those of us who don't like / need the possibility of the down shifting)

neo
09-17-2005, 22:55
jacksrbetter products rule,awesome stuff,top of the line,excellent,the best of the best,i just wish i had more money to buy their stuff:cool: neo

Kerosene
09-17-2005, 23:11
Ti, the backpacking community represented by WhiteBlaze and other sites would have long since highlighted any real or perceived issues with a non-performing vendor. JRB is a young company founded and run by experienced hikers who have a real skill in producing high-quality products for a niche market. Plus, they just want to make sure that people get their money's worth and are willing to put their reputation on the line. I'm sure that they make mistakes, as everyone does, but they have obviously "done what's right" in those cases. With that foundation, they really could look too good to be true. Note that a lot of vendor problems crop up as they try to scale up and grow while trying to incorporate operational efficiencies. I suggest that you give them a call and have a conversation with them if your parents aren't convinced.

[Note that I do not have personal experience with JRB or their products, but I do keep tabs on a lot of the gear out there.]

Just Jeff
09-18-2005, 02:08
Bad things
- Wish I had a choice in colors (that green is GREEN...I wanted olive drab).
- Steeper learning curve for an underquilt (any underquilt) than for a pad. For example, if you don't get the tension right you'll compress the down. But that's a user thing, and not poor quality. Jacks have said they're looking at ways to make it more idiot-proof, even though it's already pretty easy once you figure out how all the adjustments work (tension, opening the windows, etc).
- It's lightweight gear, so it's only as durable as you'd expect lightweight gear to be. Excellent quality, but you'll still need to treat it carefully. I wouldn't toss it onto the ground like I would a Coleman sleeping bag, for example.

You've read my BGT review so you know how I feel about it.

To back up what Kerosene says, check out the replies to Tinman about his new Jetboil stove design (now he calls it the SST). He's not cheating anyone...Looks like a great design, and he'll probably offer it for a fair price, but people questioned his marketing strategy and it took all of about 2 posts for it to come up (especially on BPL).

If anyone has a bad experience with a manufacturer, they'll post it on the forums. Search on Wanderlust, White Knight, and several folks' communications with Ray Jardine if you need even more proof.

I trusted them enough to enter into a business relationship with them. That's only on the Gear Hammock / Pack Cover, though...it has nothing to do with the quilts, so anything I say about the quilts is only as a satisfied user.

titanium_hiker
09-18-2005, 09:49
thanks guys. I agree that I haven't seen anything bad in the forums about JRB, and yeah, it would have turned up. I really enjoy reading all the stuff people have said about them- it sounds like an excellent product, and I can't wait to get mine.

However, I don't have an income right now (poor student type) and so, a really good term loan that I can pay off is good, because they feel that I'm buying it, not them.

It's great to hear all the good stuff about them. Thanks.

titanium

JoeHiker
09-19-2005, 16:37
I bought my nest down under recently. When it arrived it looked so green I thought I might have received the Shenandoah blanket instead. I put it on the scale, and instead of the 20 ounces, I expected to see, it said "15" -- the weight of the Shenandoah blanket.

Think this is going to be a bad report about JRB? Think again.

I screwed up. the scale read "1 5" (spaces between the 1 and the 5) which meant 1 pound, 5 ounces. I just read it wrong. Take away the stuff sack weight and it's almost exactly 20 ounces. But after taking a long time to talk to me on the phone having me send my quilt back, then talking to me AGAIN to explain the mistake I hade made (they even knew the brand of scale I had used), they sent me the original quilt back without even charging me for the extra shipping.

Now that's customer service.

titanium_hiker
09-19-2005, 18:53
hooray! my parents caved in!

however, minor hitch with online buying. grrr.

titanium

Big Dawg
09-19-2005, 23:00
hooray! my parents caved in!

titanium
Alright, TH!!! :banana

Enjoy that resource while you can!

titanium_hiker
09-20-2005, 13:09
hehehehe, don't worry big dog, I will!

:)

titanium