PDA

View Full Version : North Adams (MA) Regional Medical Center to close as of Friday, 3/28/14

Hiker8261
03-26-2014, 23:01
While not exactly a trail issue, it should be noted that, barring any last minute rescue, the North Adams (MA) Regional Medical Center will close its doors this Friday, 3/28. The Emergency Department will be closed as of 10:00am on Friday. The hospitals in Bennington, VT or Pittsfield, MA are the next nearest facilities. I tried to find an online listing for a walk in clinic or something similar with no luck.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_25425441 (http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_25425441)

BillyGr
03-27-2014, 22:01
As of today, the emergency will still be open (for at least another week), but the rest of the hospital is still closing now.

There have been several groups (up to the Governor of the state) working to keep it open, so it wouldn't be surprising if something happens and the rest returns, but no guarantees at this point.

rafe
03-28-2014, 12:20
This really hits home... been considering N. Adams, and towns in that vicinity for relocation upon retirement. How does a town survive without a medical facility?

BillyGr
03-28-2014, 15:49
This really hits home... been considering N. Adams, and towns in that vicinity for relocation upon retirement. How does a town survive without a medical facility?

I guess it would be the same way any number of other towns already do, and would depend on what is considered a "medical facility". I'm sure there are still doctors in the area for basic everyday treatments.

I think (from one of the news reports) the two above mentioned hospitals (Pittsfield & Bennington) were something like 18 and 25 miles away.
I'd suspect if someone is in a condition where they need to get there ASAP there could be a flight option (N. Adams even has it's own small airport as a helicopter landing option outside of using someone's yard or a street).

Sounds similar to where we are - here in NY about halfway between Albany and Hudson - either would be a similar trip and those are the closest hospitals (and have been for years). We do have a "urgent care" facility here (only in the last few years, though).

It is certainly possible that they do have something similar, even if not found in searching (or if not and the closing completely does occur, that someone would open such a facility in fairly quick time seeing the need/demand for it).

Also - I'd think about some of the areas in the Adirondacks - I'm sure many places people live there they have to go further than even the 18 or 25 miles to get to a hospital?

With this (as with other things) it's probably what you "get used to".

For example, someone living in NYC probably would think having to travel 10 minutes to, say get groceries was a long trip. Someone in the Albany area might think that's about normal.
Someone in one of the small towns in the Adirondacks would be extremely excited if they heard a store was opening that close (instead of having to go 20, 30, 50 miles away to a bigger town to find one).

Cosmo
03-28-2014, 16:03
It's a fine place to retire, Rafe. Come on over, we'll put you on a trail project.

Seriously, if you are looking for a short ride time to the hospital, you'll want to live near Pittsfield (cheaper housing) or Great Barrington (more expensive housing, New Yorker's on the weekend, crowds all summer long). Health care is generally good, and for serious stuff, Albany Med is less than an hour by car. It really is a great place to live (Berkshire County), especially if you like year 'round outdoor recreation (especially the AT), a smaller city or rural lifestyle, but still want to have access to a wide range of cultural opportunities--all within an hour's drive. But let's keep it a secret...

Cosmo

I've been blessed with good health (so far), so I'm not overly concerned about that aspect of the closing. Dumping 500 people onto the unemployment line with less than a week's notice does make me a bit grumpy. As of today (3/28) the emergency room is required by the courts to remain operational until BMC (Berkshire Medical Center) in Pittsfield can get their operation expanded. There is also a group of employees (soon to be ex, I guess) occupying the hospital lobby to try and force the place to stay open. The local ambulance company says they will likely need to add another unit to their fleet because of extended travel times.