PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Winding Stair Gap (NC)

Odlaw
03-26-2014, 23:44
Hey all, I am looking to start a NOBO section hike in late May. I am looking to make it from Springer to Winding Stair Gap in NC within 8-9 days. Is that reasonable given terrain of that stretch? I figured 12-16 miles a day would be sufficient with two resupply stops for food and a shower.

Also, for water purification, I bought some Coleman treatment tablets, which I figured I would use along with boiling water to resupply water overnight. Coleman being a cheaper brand, has anyone had any experiences with their Iodine tablets? (good or bad)

Thanks.

fiddlehead
03-27-2014, 00:08
It's about 90 miles from my memory.
So, 8-9 days would be fine (for me)
Not sure of your hiking or, hill climbing and descending abilities.
You could resupply at Neel Gap and Hiawasee I believe.
Don't have a data book in front of me, but that'd be my choices (with an overnight in Hiawassee)
Good luck and have fun.
I think late May will be a great time to do this hike.

Last Call
03-27-2014, 04:17
The Coleman tablets are good....I've been using them for 20+ years....

moytoy
03-27-2014, 04:20
It's 118 miles if you do the approach trail. It usually takes me 8 days to get to Franklin and 7 days to get back to my truck parked at the falls. I don't treat my water in N Georgia, NC or Tn. so I can't help with that. I only resupply at Franklin. So 8 or 9 days with a stop for supply and shower sounds reasonable.

Kerosene
03-27-2014, 11:41
I went from Amicalola to Standing Indian in early April 2004 as a fit 46-year old, where I got off the trail as my partner and ride home had gotten injured. Six years later I went from there to Winding Stair Gap with my newbie daughter. I did three 12-mile days from Amicalola to Neels Gap, then three consecutive 18-milers (more or less) to Standing Indian. I could have easily covered the remaining 25 miles in a day and a half. That's 7.5 days in good backpacking weather, so you should be fine if you've backpacked a bit before, are in good overall shape, aren't carrying too much weight (say 30 pounds total), and don't mind climbing a bit here and there.

I re-supplied at Neels Gap and Hiawassee.

slbirdnerd
03-27-2014, 12:07
You can also resupply/shower at the new Top of GA Hostel if you ship yourself a box, 1/2 mile walk from the trail at Dick's Creek Gap. Save you a trip into town. I'm planning basically the same section in June.

flemdawg1
03-27-2014, 12:55
I did it 3 years ago(April) in 10 days, starting at FS-42. I stopped overnight at Neels Gap and Helen (has a general store and Dollar General). If you are running short on time at the end, you can just stop short at Standing Indian Campground (via Kimsey Creek trl).

Odlaw
03-27-2014, 20:56
Awesome, Thanks everyone!