PDA

View Full Version : Roan Mountain Trail

Ercoupe
03-27-2014, 06:43
Hiking Roan mountain from the south Friday, nice day.

There was still ice on trail above ash gap. Treacherous crossing use caution.

We could not find water at ASH gap, no blue blazes, guide books did not agree where source was.

I nailed a pine deadfall just after heading down trail from trail high point. Head down watching the footing on ice covered trail, be careful. Too heavy to move.

Missed the sharp left hand turn while skating down the trail going north on the trail from Roan High Shelter.

Still a beautiful day to be on the mountain. Great views.

Saw what appeared to be a mountain bluebird, brilliant blue, with a white belly, going over Jane Bald.

Venchka
03-27-2014, 07:58
Thanks! I daydream about a winter visit to Roan High Shelter. Your report will help in my preparations.

Wayne

The Cleaner
03-27-2014, 08:52
Spring is on right side of trail when heading north through Ash Gap....

Tennessee Viking
03-27-2014, 09:16
Always carry some sort of traction shoewear when above 3500' around winter time. Winter never really disappears from the TN/NC area until late April. Especially open or rocky areas.

Because of the wide path over Roan High Knob. It is hard to notice the turn to the shelter.

As Cleaner reported, the water source I last remember it at Ash Gap is on the NC side (left going SOBO/right going NOBO). But the trail south of Cloudland has been under heavy relo. So I can't tell you exactly how it approaches Ash Gap now. Its reported at being 0.1 miles behind the tenting area on a blue blaze. Once you start into a steep saddle, it will be right there. The distance may be more. But the source is actually a good flowing stream. Its possible the stream may have frozen over.

For the dead pine, its not unusual for ice/wind damage during the winter time. Maintainers will probably be out in force taking care of down trees when weather permits. PM Mountain Squid or call Bob Peoples at Kincora for the location.

sarge95
03-27-2014, 14:19
Viking we haven't done any relos at Ash Gap yet. Hopefully we will be there for Hardcore this year.