PDA

View Full Version : Evernew Appalachian Set

chall
03-28-2014, 08:51
Does anyone have experience with the Evernew Appalachian Set (http://www.amazon.com/Evernew-Titanium-Mug-Stove-ECA268R/dp/B00BVOMDS6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1396010080&sr=8-5&keywords=evernew)? 5.7oz for your entire kitchen excluding fuel, utensil, and lighting tool.

I'm in the market for a Ti mug/pot anyway, and have just gotten into alcohol stoves. I received an Amazon gift card from work, and I'm thinking on blowing it all on this set up...I mean hey, it's Ti, incredibly light, and will probably last forever. Worth it? Help me decide.

Starchild
03-28-2014, 09:06
I'm confused about 2 pieces with that set, the first is the center piece (in the photo), that looks like a duplicate wind screen or pot stand, the second is the disk with holes in it?

As I like simplicity and fewer parts I would like to understand how/why those pieces are needed?

bfayer
03-28-2014, 09:06
550 ml is a little small for me.

Starchild
03-28-2014, 09:14
OK found it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv_6S4juP3o It is a upper and lower pot stand, Can also be used to burn wood and esbit from that link, and looks like a great size for one person for warmer weather.

Stability seems to be in slight question and also why that disk is needed at all. I would think the disk converts some of the convection heat to radiant heat which may cause additional burn rate (faster cooking) and may get more heat to the pot, but that's a guess.

chall
03-28-2014, 09:18
I'm confused about 2 pieces with that set, the first is the center piece (in the photo), that looks like a duplicate wind screen or pot stand, the second is the disk with holes in it?

As I like simplicity and fewer parts I would like to understand how/why those pieces are needed?

The first piece is the lower section which houses the alcohol stove off of the ground, and is a lower windscreen. The second section is the upper section that slides on top of the lower piece to act as the pot holder, and upper windscreen. The disk is the "power plate" which, supposedly from one user's testing, boiled the water slightly faster than without it. The power plate is also where you would put an Esbit tab if that was going to be your chosen fuel source. This stove also burns wood.

chall
03-28-2014, 09:19
550 ml is a little small for me.

Agreed that it might be small for some but, I usually only boil water to re-hydrate food. Two cups is plenty for me.

bfayer
03-28-2014, 09:25
Agreed that it might be small for some but, I usually only boil water to re-hydrate food. Two cups is plenty for me.

I like warm drinks in cool weather, so 850 ml works better for me with an alcohol stove. If the smaller pot works for you, it looks like a good system in general.

Just a note on titanium alcohol stoves, they take longer to prime in cold weather.

Chubbs4U
03-28-2014, 10:12
Seems very pricey for what it is...

chall
03-28-2014, 10:19
Seems very pricey for what it is...

Extremely pricey, which is why I wouldn't go for it without the gift card.

Zippy Morocco
03-28-2014, 10:21
Might be better just to get the pot you like and get a Caldera cone to match. It is a proven design.

chall
03-28-2014, 10:27
Might be better just to get the pot you like and get a Caldera cone to match. It is a proven design.

I'm curious about the Caldera, but it's not on Amazon!

lonehiker
03-28-2014, 12:08
Too many parts for me.

bfayer
03-28-2014, 13:46
I don't get the two many parts thing, it only has one more part than any other alcohol stove set up that needs a pot stand, and you can that leave that extra part at home.

The base and the windscreen nest inside the pot so it takes up no extra room to have two parts.

Even if you compare it to a cone system, or a stove that does not need a pot stand, its only one more part you need. The plate thingy is not needed at all.

I don't think I would spend the money on this, but that is because of cost and pot size, but too many parts?

chall
03-28-2014, 14:13
I couldn't do it! I haven't read enough good reviews, performance-wise. I may hold out for some sort of Caldera setup. Although I did order my pot: Evernew Ti Ultralight 640ml Deep Pot.

chall
03-28-2014, 14:16
Are the two piece Caldera cones (Fissure and Fusion) the only cones that will fit inside of your pot?

Zippy Morocco
03-28-2014, 15:47
Are the two piece Caldera cones (Fissure and Fusion) the only cones that will fit inside of your pot?

It depends on the pot. There is also the sidewinder. Ron use to make an UL version that was shorter and fit into tall pots. He has replaced that with the Fissure /Fusion. The taller Cones are more efficient. I use one of the old ULs with my solo set and think it works great.

lonehiker
03-28-2014, 15:54
I don't get the two many parts thing, it only has one more part than any other alcohol stove set up that needs a pot stand, and you can that leave that extra part at home.

The base and the windscreen nest inside the pot so it takes up no extra room to have two parts.

Even if you compare it to a cone system, or a stove that does not need a pot stand, its only one more part you need. The plate thingy is not needed at all.

I don't think I would spend the money on this, but that is because of cost and pot size, but too many parts?

You don't have to get it...... I was voicing my opinion, not yours.....

bfayer
03-28-2014, 16:15
You don't have to get it...... I was voicing my opinion, not yours.....

And I was voicing my opinion.

All I said is: I don't understand your opinion and gave my reasons why. That is normally how discussions work.

Last Call
03-28-2014, 17:34
It's not a complete setup, you will still need the titanium spoon.

Chubbs4U
03-28-2014, 17:38
Chall how much is your gift card for?

Black Wolf
03-28-2014, 19:17
Just a note on titanium alcohol stoves, they take longer to prime in cold weather.

i wrapped my Evernew TI .. and Vargo TI stoves with fiberglass wicking / cord .. A few drops of fuel soaked into it greatly reduces priming time .. It blooms in seconds in any temperature .. YMMV

Black Wolf
03-28-2014, 19:22
A point not mentioned on this thread .. The set as it is a a multi-fuel set-up .. You can use the included stove .. Also Esbit or organic (wood) .. Overall not a bad cook set at all

bfayer
03-28-2014, 20:13
i wrapped my Evernew TI .. and Vargo TI stoves with fiberglass wicking / cord .. A few drops of fuel soaked into it greatly reduces priming time .. It blooms in seconds in any temperature .. YMMV

I have thought about playing with something like that. Do you know how much weight it added? Do you wrap the whole outside? if so I bet it adds a bit of insulation to help the alcohol vaporize in cold weather.

Black Wolf
03-28-2014, 22:26
Just a few wraps .. Maybe added 5 grams (I didn't weigh it, didn't see the need) .. It's basically string .. I don't know about the insulation factor .. But it dramatically increased the bloom time .. Overall it saves fuel as well

RedBeerd
03-29-2014, 09:21
I think there are cheaper, lighter, and simpler alternatives.

chall
03-29-2014, 10:55
Chall how much is your gift card for?

$110 - $51 for the Evernew pot = $59 left.

RED-DOG
03-29-2014, 11:47
Yeah 131.95 is a little too pricey, i can use a Heineken pot, a coke can alchy stove, Tin foil for wind screen, and some of that wire cloth stuff for pot stand, and Denatured Alcohol for fuel and i have only invested around 10 bucks, works great, works every time i need it too and it has never failed, So good luck and Happy Hiking and Ho yeah HYOH.

fastfoxengineering
04-09-2014, 13:29
I don't know if you have purchased this yet, but I would not recommend it. I would use your gift card to purchase a 900ml Evernew pot and Snow Peak Ti spork. You can then build or buy an alcohol stove setup for less than $20. People sell kits on ebay all the time. I actually purchased a soda can stove (which was machined very cleanly), the windscreen, the chicken wire pot stand, a 1 oz measuring cup, 2 8oz fuel bottles, and a small plastic cup all for $20 shipped. Not a bad deal in my opinion because the stove is better made than any I've made by hand because he used a drill press and nice tools. Furthermore, I don't think I could've resourced all the materials (chicken wire, fuel bottles, aluminum windscreen) for less than $10.

In addition, all though I primarily use my cookset set with alcohol, I have burned a small wood fire in the middle of the chicken wire potstand (without the stove there) and successfully used it as a wood burning stove. Everything gets sooty tough. If I flip my alcohol stove over, it makes a good setup to burn an esbit thingy on.

So my alcohol stove IS a multifuel stove.

And you still have $59 to upgrade some other gear. Which $59 could go along way. You could get some nice merino wool clothing (beanie and gloves maybe?), a new headlamp (does yours have a red LED light?, cause it's an awesome feature), some nice camp shoes if your so inclined, etc.

Don't drop $140 on a cookset, when a coke can alcohol stove does the same thing. There really is no advantage to the titanium stove in this scenario. You'll appreciate that headlamp with the red led more ;)

Dedicated Hanger
08-11-2014, 20:06
Have a lot of experience with the Evernew Titanium DX burner and stand but not the Appalachian Set. I found it to be the most versatile set up of any of the 25 different stoves that I own and faster than my microwave for my morning shot of espresso. The evernew titanium blooms faster and throws a blowtorch of a flame to heat water. If one just utilizes the base and the stove it only fires through one set of jets which is perfect for small espresso makers. If one wants to simmer then you can utilize the top section and the power plate to simmer a pot in which you need regulated heat. If you are considering Evernew, I would recommend that you take a look at the DX. It does everything I want it to do and weighs nothing.

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2014, 22:07
my vote - pass

Dedicated Hanger
08-11-2014, 22:09
Went and looked it up, the Appalachian set is the same thing as the Ti Dx set that I described above except for the addition of a titanium pot. This being the case, I would highly recommend the Evernew Appalachian set. I am so pleased with my Ti Dx set I can not stay out of the woods. Have made 9 camping trips (nearly back to back) so far this summer. I come home, air out the gear, and head back in the woods. The Evernew stove is my go-to stove of choice. So much so that I purchased a second one. I make my coffee with one configuration while heating water with another. I recommend that you play with the set up that you want at home before hitting the trail. There are multiple choices depending on how hot you want your flame. I was not kidding, it will make espresso in two minutes and boil water faster than my microwave. Try one, you will like it.

Jake27
12-25-2014, 12:52
I was looking at that as well. But ended up going with qiwiz firefly. And love it weights 2.7oz

ny breakfast
01-06-2015, 23:34
i never used the evernew trail set, but in my opinion i believe the cook kit has room for improvement but, on a good track. i would be interested in the stove if they made a simmer ring, I've heard the stove waste fuel all around wood burning/ alcohol at least from what i recall. i don't recall how well the esbit worked in this stove. i would pass for something else

nuknees
03-05-2015, 15:25
I believe the plate with the holes in it is also used when burning wood as your fuel source. The plate acts like kind of a grate that you use in your fireplace for spent ashes to fall through.

Mudsock
03-14-2015, 13:13
The Evernew pot is a high quality pot. But 500ml is pretty small and the pot has a small diameter. Efficiency increases with pot size up to at least 130 mm and probably a bit beyond. The Evernew 900 ml short pot is a much better pot from a capacity and fuel efficiency standpoint.

The price of the set on Amazon is twenty dollars than a Caldera Cone Tri Ti Sidewinder Inferno stove with the 900 ml short pot included from Trail Designs. The link is http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-sidewinder and the cost for the stove, pot and base is $129.
I have that setup with the modified Starlight stove option. Zelph sells a sheet of simmer ring material for the Starlite that will let you boil two cups of water and then simmer for 35 minutes on 35 ml of yellow Heet.

There are a lot of pieces in these sets, but you use what you need based upon the fuel you are using. If you are always going to burn Heet, you can leave some of it at home, or not even buy it. The Inferno option gives the stove a very effective wood burning capability. Without the Inferno option, it still burns wood.