PDA

View Full Version : Trip Plan for Rockfish Gap - Harpers Ferry

Coffee
03-28-2014, 15:42
I'm putting together a trip plan for my upcoming section hike through Shenandoah National Park and Northern Virginia which is tentatively planned to end at Harper's Ferry although I may decide to extend it through Maryland and into Southern Pennsylvania if I can figure out the logistics at the end of the trip. I have a screenshot of my plans so far and though I'd post it to see if anyone has feedback. I have previously hiked almost all of the AT in the north district of the park as well as the sections between and around Big Meadows and Skyland and smaller sections in the south district of the park. I am not familiar with most of the AT from SNP to Harper's Ferry. As a matter of convenience, I have designed most days to end at or near a shelter but I always intend to tent camp rather than stay inside shelters. As a result, I would be open to camping elsewhere, possibly dry camping as needed, if I can locate appropriate camp spots. Right now the only camp location not near a shelter is on the first night. I'll have about six hours on the first day making Calf Mountain Shelter too close and Blackrock Hut too far.

Due to the presence of the waysides, camp stores, and Skyland, I plan to carry less food than normal for a six day segment. I can probably carry only 3-4 days of food and purchase the rest. I will send a box to Linden for the final couple of days.

My base weight for the hike should be around 14 pounds with total weight hovering between 22-27 pounds depending on the amount of food I'm carrying.

Any input would be great! I'll probably be starting the week of the 14th. All the waysides will be open and Lewis Mountain Campground/Store will be open as well. Super excited to be going on my first extended backpacking trip since the JMT last September!

DatFLhiker
03-28-2014, 18:27
let me know how your trip goes . Im looking foward to planing a section hike in SNP in august ive been using the following link as a guide

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/SHEN_BCTrip-AT_through_SNP_average_17_miles_per_day_E104.pdf

hows the elevation there?

Coffee
03-28-2014, 18:34
The parts of the AT I've hiked in SNP have been pretty easy in terms of elevation change. The side trails are a different story! The AT mostly sticks to the ridges and often crosses Skyline Road. It isn't a wilderness trail but the frequent waysides make up for it. SNP is one of my favorite places to go during the summer as well since it is usually ten degrees or so cooler at the higher elevations of the park compared to the DC area. It can still be hot and humid at times in summer but I'd guess nothing close to what you're used to in FL summers.

Almost There
03-28-2014, 20:55
Good luck, I'll be out there doing almost the same hike come middle of June. I'm fifty miles into the park and am aiming at getting to Harpers in 8 days...we'll see. Should be a great hike!

jimmyjam
03-28-2014, 23:04
There is a couple of good stealth sites on the west side of the trail and one on the right about two miles south of blackrock hut.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Coffee
03-28-2014, 23:26
There is a couple of good stealth sites on the west side of the trail and one on the right about two miles south of blackrock hut.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
Good to know, thanks. Probably still a bit too far for day 1 but good to keep in mind.

johnnybgood
03-29-2014, 08:55
When you reach Jarman Gap, north of Calf Mountain Shelter look for a unpaved fire road on the right.
Walk a short distance downhill and set up camp on the left side of the trail next to a tributary leading to Moormans River.

Second option ; set up camp on the west side of the trail maybe a half mile before the Riprap trail intersection at Milepost 92.

rafe
03-29-2014, 09:46
My recollection of SNP was that it was tent-friendly, with caveats. It's as close to "a walk in the woods" as it gets on the AT. Or more like, "a walk in the park." Ie., it's hardly wilderness, probably as civilized as it gets. Cuts both ways. Two female thru-hikers were murdered in SNP in 1996.

Someone I met at Panorama told me about a campsite atop Mary's Rock. Found it. It was awesome. Shared the site with a southbounder, trailname "Chilly." Panorama was closed (like, for the season, or forever) so what water I carried was from the drinking fountain outside the place.

Dundo Group Campsite may be an option. Or not. I had the place to myself. Dundo to Calf Creek was dry. The spring at Calf Creek was great, the shelter itself was nasty, can't say I'd recommend it.

I'm generally a slow hiker but I had a couple career-high-mileage days in SNP. Felt like a hiking monster. LOL.

rafe
03-29-2014, 09:55
^^ Calf Mountain, not Calf Creek. Apparently, editing privileges are not p/o the standard package.

Coffee
03-29-2014, 09:59
When you reach Jarman Gap, north of Calf Mountain Shelter look for a unpaved fire road on the right.
Walk a short distance downhill and set up camp on the left side of the trail next to a tributary leading to Moormans River.

Second option ; set up camp on the west side of the trail maybe a half mile before the Riprap trail intersection at Milepost 92.

I think that getting water from the Moorman's tributary and pushing on to Sawlog Ridge or the spot you mention near the Riprap trail should work very well. Thanks for the idea. I was planning on carrying water from the Calf Mountain spring but the Moorman's tributary is likely going to have water this spring I think.

Rafe, Dundo is now a picnic area rather than a group campground and there were signs in that area prohibiting camping that I noticed when I hiked the Jones Run/Doyles River loop last year. There are some flattish spots in that vicinity that I have thought about but I'll probably only be halfway into day 2 when I get there. There was water at Dundo last year and I believe that picnic area is year round.

I'll have to think about that campsite atop Mary's Rock. I have a relatively long day going into Byrds Nest #3 but maybe I'll push on if I feel like it since it isn't that much further along the trail heading northbound.

Coffee
04-29-2014, 20:51
Just got back from my hike today. Ended up starting at Rockfish Gap on 4/16 and made it to Boiling Springs last night (4/28) where I decided to get a shuttle to Carlisle for the night rather than staying in town due to the Allenberry apparently being totally deserted and closed on Mondays.

Great hike with great weather except for three days of various amounts of rain, including quite a bit on the last day. I will say that the Appalachian Trail in the Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs segment (around 260 miles or so) is lightly traveled this time of year. I only saw a few hikers each day and saw no one for more than one day (probably due to my 20 mpd average pace). Due to leaf cover not being present in most places, there are filtered views in places that would be a green tunnel during the summer, so that was nice.

Although the SNP waysides are open, I found that few facilities in the MD/PA state parks are open yet for the season and these parks were basically deserted. I highly recommend the Teahorse Hostel in Harpers Ferry and Bear's Den was a good time as well! I also recommend Mike's Shuttle Service in Boiling Springs.

A note for hikers looking to leave the trail near Carlisle, PA: If you are staying at the Days Inn or Super 8 just west of the AT bridge, it is very easy to catch the CAT Route C (http://www.cattransit.com/routes-schedules/) into Harrisburg ($1.75). Find a way to safely cross Route 11 (very busy) and then when you see the bus, just flag it down. You do not need to be at a named stop! This saves a lot of dangerous road walking to the named stops on the schedule. Time into Harrisburg Amtrak/Greyhound was about 45 minutes.

DatFLhiker
06-03-2014, 14:29
great to see that made it. how was the big meadows? i've read that you aren't allowed to send any food drops there and was wondering if that was true or not. i was also looking to take a zero day and go to bryce mountain for some mtn biking . have you ever been to bryce and would recommend it ? im planing a snp thru hike in August

FL Grandma
06-17-2014, 20:28
Interesting information about SNP. I'm planning to hike from Rockfish Gap to Front Royal right after Labor Day. Really excited and appreciate all the info on WB.