PDA

View Full Version : my youngest son

neo
09-17-2005, 23:42
my youngest son logan just won their 3rd football game in a roll,when he was 5 in 2001 he and hank my oldest son did a section hike from waterville rd near I-40 to hotspring 34 miles,12 miles a day carrying his own pack,not bad for a 5 year old,he started kindergarten the next day,my oldest son hank did a 95 mile section with me 2002,his bigest day was 18 miles,plus he stayed up and talked with thru hikers till 2 in the morning:cool: neo

TOW
09-17-2005, 23:48
sounds like that boy is full of spit and vinegar................

Hammock Hanger
09-18-2005, 08:19
You sound like a rather proud papa. :) Nice to have the kids along. My youngest (my only son) hike the 100 Mile Wilderness when he was 10. He carried all of his own gear, snacks and a fishing pole. His pack was like 30 pounds. Nowadays I don't even carry that much. Poor kid. What kind of parents were we... :( But he was an awesome young hiker and had a blast. So I guess alls well that ends well. I won't even say how heavy our packs were. Thank God for the new ultra light gear.

Neo, maybe that young man and you will be hiking thru the 100 Mile Wilderness some day. Sue/HH

TwoForty
09-18-2005, 17:32
I've never seen a thruhiker stay up past 10 :eek:
Unless of course they were night hiking and just got in at 2am.

Sounds like a cool kid though.

Dances with Mice
09-18-2005, 19:19
my youngest son logan just won their 3rd football game in a roll,Having supported 3 kids thru various and sundry team sports, don't pay any attention to win/loss records. Winning's good but it isn't important. Really, seriously, it's unimportant. Just playing is infinitely better.

Years have gone by and I can't remember, and the kids can't remember, their won/loss records from baseball or soccer or football or tennis or softball or basketball or indoor soccer or karate tournaments, or whatever. They can and do remember the friends they made playing those sports. Years later that's the only thing that remains.

Offer positive reinforcement but don't become a "little leage parent", yelling at the kids and cussing at the refs or coach. I saw that starting to happen to me early on and it scared me. So I started to ignore the game and score and only pay attention to ensure the kids got playing time and weren't in danger. Other than that I paid no attention to the games.

We've suffered nearly winless seasons. We also have nearly a room full of trophies from winning seasons. The trophies gather dust, that's all they're good for. Someday I'll throw them out, they'll never be missed.

Dances with Mice
09-18-2005, 19:20
my youngest son logan just won their 3rd football game in a roll,Having supported 3 kids thru various and sundry team sports, don't pay any attention to win/loss records. Winning's good but it isn't important. Really, seriously, it's unimportant. Just playing is infinitely better.

Years have gone by and I can't remember, and the kids can't remember, their won/loss records from baseball or soccer or football or tennis or softball or basketball or indoor soccer or karate tournaments, or whatever. They can and do remember the friends they made playing those sports. Years later that's the only thing that remains.

Offer positive reinforcement but don't become a "little leage parent", yelling at the kids and cussing at the refs or coach. I saw that starting to happen to me early on and it scared me. So I started to ignore the game and score and only pay attention to ensure the kids got playing time and weren't in danger. Other than that I paid no attention to the games.

We've suffered nearly winless seasons. We also have nearly a room full of trophies from winning seasons. The trophies gather dust, that's all they're good for. Someday I'll throw them out and they'll never be missed.

Dances with Mice
09-18-2005, 19:24
something twice.I dunno. I only hit 'Submit' once. But who's keeping score, right?

neo
09-18-2005, 20:48
I've never seen a thruhiker stay up past 10 :eek:
Unless of course they were night hiking and just got in at 2am.

Sounds like a cool kid though.
they were all partying at 4 pines hostel,some off them been there for many zero days getting loaded:cool: neo