PDA

View Full Version : Calling on southwest Virginia trail experts

Toga
03-29-2014, 11:17
First post...so here is goes!! I'm planning a section hike this late April/ early May from Damascus to Pearisburg. I would like to resupply and catch a night indoors around Atkins/Marion. Appears to be no hostels in this area, so what are the suggestions? I've ruled out Relax Inn...other then location, haven't heard anything good about that place. Is there anything else near Rural Retreat or is hitching into Marion the way to go? Any general advice or comments about this section is also appreciated:)

Happy hiking and Thanks!!

kayak karl
03-29-2014, 11:25
is the troutdale hostel re-openned?

03-29-2014, 11:29
There is a church hostel, just prior to grayson, I cannot remember the name. but it was not but a mile or so off the trail. It was open last year.

Lone Wolf
03-29-2014, 11:29
First post...so here is goes!! I'm planning a section hike this late April/ early May from Damascus to Pearisburg. I would like to resupply and catch a night indoors around Atkins/Marion. Appears to be no hostels in this area, so what are the suggestions? I've ruled out Relax Inn...other then location, haven't heard anything good about that place. Is there anything else near Rural Retreat or is hitching into Marion the way to go? Any general advice or comments about this section is also appreciated:)

marion has everything you'll need

Lone Wolf
03-29-2014, 11:32
There is a church hostel, just prior to grayson, I cannot remember the name. but it was not but a mile or so off the trail. It was open last year.

the closest hostel to grayson is about 5 miles away in Troutdale from Fox Creek

kayak karl
03-29-2014, 11:35
marion has everything you'll need the hotels were cheap there also.

Toga
03-29-2014, 11:59
Hoping for a hidden gem, however a cheap and clean stay in Marion will fit the bill. Looks like Barn Restaurant excepts hiker boxes and the nearby truck stop has showers...is the truck stop hiker friendly? Guess this may be an option if I just want to clean up and resupply without lodging.

HikerMom58
03-29-2014, 12:01
The best part about Marion is that Cedar Tree lives there. :D

Lone Wolf
03-29-2014, 12:01
Hoping for a hidden gem, however a cheap and clean stay in Marion will fit the bill. Looks like Barn Restaurant excepts hiker boxes and the nearby truck stop has showers...is the truck stop hiker friendly? Guess this may be an option if I just want to clean up and resupply without lodging.
hiker boxes have been stolen from the barn in the past

Toga
03-29-2014, 12:05
hiker boxes have been stolen from the barn in the past

That is good to know!

Kingbee
03-29-2014, 12:20
Virginia Inn(not exactly sure on name) in Marion is cheap. Stayed there in 2012. They may have laundry there now, but if not the laundramat is a bit of a walk. Walmart is close by. You can hitch from Mt. Rogers visitor center, but there's a phone to call a cab. You may be lucky and have a few hikers to split the fare.
The Exxon at Rt. 11 had a nice little diner attached called Eats and Treats. Not sure if it's there now, but they took hiker boxes.

Lone Wolf
03-29-2014, 12:21
treat yourself to a night in marion. there's a chinese buffet and a KFC buffet, walmart, good grocery stores, etc

Lone Wolf
03-29-2014, 12:22
The Exxon at Rt. 11 had a nice little diner attached called Eats and Treats. Not sure if it's there now, but they took hiker boxes.it is closed

Toga
03-29-2014, 12:29
treat yourself to a night in marion. there's a chinese buffet and a KFC buffet, walmart, good grocery stores, etc

Chinese buffet...seals the deal!

flemdawg1
04-01-2014, 10:40

You don't have to hitch to Marion. Ususally there's a bus that picks up at Partnership Shelter that shuttles hikers to town.

SawnieRobertson
04-01-2014, 11:38
The best part about Marion is that Cedar Tree lives there. :D

And I live 10 miles out in the country from it between Partnership and Dickey Creek.

Tron-Life
04-01-2014, 22:29
You don't have to hitch to Marion. Ususally there's a bus that picks up at Partnership Shelter that shuttles hikers to town.

Could you give me a little more info on this bus? Will it be running on April 11th?

Meriadoc
04-01-2014, 22:49
Could you give me a little more info on this bus? Will it be running on April 11th?
It should be. If I remember correctly, it's one of those mobility buses for citizens who can't get around on their own whether for lack of a vehicle or other issue. I think it's run by the town of Marion. I think there is information in AWOL's guide about it. Also the ranger station at Partnership shelter should be able to help with information, as should the town of Marion. If memory serves, there are two buses a day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Tron-Life
04-01-2014, 23:08
Excellent. Thanks for the info!

flemdawg1
04-02-2014, 13:30
3 runs a day in May 2012 for the Marion bus. I caught it around 1pm and returned about 4pm.

HikerMom58
04-02-2014, 14:25
And I live 10 miles out in the country from it between Partnership and Dickey Creek.

There you go, another good reason to love Marion VA. :p

bigcranky
04-02-2014, 14:57
+1 for Marion. Pleny of motels. The usual hiker hotel is now called, I think, The Travel Inn. It's near the Wal Mart for resupply, and also near a great Mexican restaurant. Other cheap chain motels in the same general area.

From the Companion, talking about the Mt Rogers HQ: "Local transit authority offers daily shuttles M–F to Marion, 50¢ each way; info at (276) 782-9300."

Another option is Atkins, about ten miles west of the AT where it crosses I-81. There is a Comfort Inn (dunno how hiker friendly it is now), with two small country grocery stores in gas stations nearby, and a laundromat. But it's harder to get there from the trail.

Lone Wolf
04-02-2014, 22:12
Another option is Atkins, about ten miles west of the AT where it crosses I-81. There is a Comfort Inn (dunno how hiker friendly it is now), with two small country grocery stores in gas stations nearby, and a laundromat. But it's harder to get there from the trail.

atkins is only 3 miles from the AT

Lone Wolf
04-02-2014, 22:12

bigcranky
04-03-2014, 08:58

Roger that, had a brain fart.