PDA

View Full Version : isolated section hike!

beachbunny
03-29-2014, 17:22
folks, last summer I ran boats and backpacked all through glacier national park. This summer I'm running boats for the tourist season at the beach in ocean s##itty,md.
the season kicks of memorial day (ohjoy)
what is a good isolated section to walk between GA and MD before the then?
thanks,BB

Oak88
03-29-2014, 17:42
Smokys http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/appalachiantrail.htm

johnnybgood
03-29-2014, 17:51
Isolation on the AT will be hard to find especially now that spring has arrived.
Not only do we have thru hikers on the trail but also section & weekend hikers.

excuses
03-29-2014, 18:52
Hot Springs to Damascus

beachbunny
03-29-2014, 19:07
now that is sounding better.
I know it's gonna be tough and glacier definitely spoiled me but I figure I have a month to burn

Kingbee
03-30-2014, 00:43
Check out the Tuscarora Trail. Starts from Shenandoah NP and goes west to WV then north into Pa. Great hiking on a much less traveled trail.

fiddlehead
03-30-2014, 00:49
Check out the Tuscarora Trail. Starts from Shenandoah NP and goes west to WV then north into Pa. Great hiking on a much less traveled trail.

That was my original thought^

Also, Loyalsock trail in PA (only a 3 day hike though)

You're too early for the really good stuff in the east: NH and ME

I hope you don't expect anything to compare to Glacier though.
That's as good as it gets.

johnnybgood
03-30-2014, 09:18

Strangely enough, the Tuscarora also came to mind but I wasn't sure if OP wanted isolation like this .
Maps for this trail can be bought at REI .
www.rei.com/product/648867/patc-map-k-tu...

fredmugs
03-30-2014, 10:40
Check out the American Discovery Trail.

DavidNH
03-30-2014, 11:42
for how long a period of time? how isolated? Off top of my head my votes would be for GSNP or for Shenandoah Natl Park (not isolated but quite beautiful.

rafe
03-30-2014, 11:49
I'm not sure I'd recommend either the Smokies or Shenandoah as "isolated" bits of the AT. Normally I'd recommend Maine for that honor. But in the southern AT.... hmmm. From relatively recent memory, I kinda enjoyed the stretch between Waynesboro and Cloverdale/Troutville. Had it pretty much to myself.

Spirit Walker
03-30-2014, 12:02
Or go to the Shenandoahs and make a loop using trails other than the AT as well as the AT. It isn't hard to do as there are a lot of trails that drop off the ridge.

If you're willing to go up into PA, the Quehanna or Susquehannock Trails are good loops, 60 and 80 miles long. They aren't generally very busy and the country they go through is really nice. I like the Donut Hole too, but it is a linear trail.

beachbunny
03-30-2014, 22:28
fiddlehead , I had wanted to go back up to glacier after the season but time is limited so I think i'll take ur idea and head up north to get away from the tourist madness but I did want to see the elk go into rut again the way I did last fall. that was way cool!
thanks for all the ideas folks,
any walkers have exprience in monngahela? I did not realize it wa milioacre spread, heck ,that is the size of glacier.
thanks again,BB

beachbunny
03-30-2014, 22:30
meant to say, million acre spread! BB

flemdawg1
03-31-2014, 16:31
For a month of isolation: BMT then MTS.

Marmaduke
04-01-2014, 11:15
fiddlehead , I had wanted to go back up to glacier after the season but time is limited so I think i'll take ur idea and head up north to get away from the tourist madness but I did want to see the elk go into rut again the way I did last fall. that was way cool!
thanks for all the ideas folks,
any walkers have exprience in monngahela? I did not realize it wa milioacre spread, heck ,that is the size of glacier.
thanks again,BB

Mon nat'l forest is fantastic. Try to incorporate the trails in the Spruce Knob area into something if you can, you won't regret it.