PDA

View Full Version : Bear Cannisters

Edro
03-30-2014, 07:23
I am researching purchaseing a Bear Cannister. There are several different ones available, different sizes and and lid types. Which do you think are the best? Where do you Carry It? It's rather large. I have a 65L backpack.

Lone Wolf
03-30-2014, 07:28
canisters are overkill on the AT. really not needed

leaftye
03-30-2014, 07:35
Size depends on what trail you'll be using it for, for how long, how much food you eat per day, budget, and maybe some other things.

I've reduced the volume of my gear for normal trips enough that my pack is oversized, so I can fit a big canister inside it along with all my other gear. When I put the canister on the outside top of my pack, it's empty and all my food is inside my pack.

Zippy Morocco
03-30-2014, 09:00
The Bearikade are the best but the BearVault will provide the same protection at 1/3 the cost. The Bearikade does hold its value though and could be resold easily.

Malto
03-30-2014, 12:37
It all depends on why you are carrying it, where you are at and how long you are out and how often you will be using it. As far a large canisters, the Bearvault is likely the best value, the bearicade the best if you have a need to use it often. Unless you are hiking out west I seriously doubt that you will continue to use it long term. Even in the west there are other options such as the Ursack that are legal in most areas. If hiking a trail such as the JMT then you will need a real canister.

Edro
03-30-2014, 14:14
I was under the impression they are required in the smokies and parts of Georgia.

rafe
03-30-2014, 14:48
I was under the impression they are required in the smokies and parts of Georgia.

In GA the only stretch I've heard about is the 5 miles just south of Neels Gap. I haven't hear about bear canisters being required in the Smokies.

They are required nowadays in the high peaks region of the Adirondacks.

Hill Ape
03-30-2014, 14:50
Only a five mile stretch in GA, Easier to just work it out so you don't camp there. You'll probably want to stay at hostel in neels gap, it's the thing to do. If so, trail just worked it out for you

Hill Ape
03-30-2014, 15:19
Not required in the Smokes, cables at all shelters