PDA

View Full Version : Note to NON-MEMBERS

Just Jeff
09-18-2005, 02:46
To all those folks who read anonymously...

Right now there are 4 members and 46 non-members online.

Just wanted to let you know that it's MUCH easier to read posts after you register. You just click on "new posts" and it spits out all the posts since the last time you visited...so much easier than clicking on each forum room and checking for the newest messages.

You don't have to put in hardly any info to join...just a username/password, really...and you can still lurk without posting anything.

I lurked for months before actually joining, and I was surprised at how much easier it was. Just thought I'd pass on the tip.

Big Dawg
09-18-2005, 07:35
Great advice Jeff!!

Kerosene
09-18-2005, 11:11
Note that you will get a registration confirmation e-mail from the webmaster of WhiteBlaze.net (don't let your spam filter eat it) that you'll have to click a link to complete your registration.

You'll also get a follow-up message from me with various tips on how to use the board.

Beyond that, you'll never hear from anyone unless you set up your preferences to allow e-mails from other members.

Enjoy this great resource.

Tin Man
09-18-2005, 21:32
If you choose to participate in a forum, I believe the default is set to "subscribe" your id to any forum to which you post. Subsequently, you will receive an email when someone else posts to any forum that you have "subscribed" to. This email notification can be turned off. You can easily follow the forums in which you have posted as there is a nifty green check mark next to said forums.

Rifleman
09-18-2005, 22:41
Let us not forget that it is not important for non-members to join the 'club.' Anytime you give any website information about yourself you are risking the possibility of someone else stealing that information. Nobody should be pressured (or feel pressured) to join. Since I joined it really isn't any more 'convenient' to use Whiteblaze. What is truly fascinating about Whiteblaze is the depths of irrationality that some members have achieved when attempting to respond to a rational dialectic.
R.

Alligator
09-18-2005, 22:57
Ahh, but you do not have the option of an ignore list if you are just a guest. Sometimes that is a great convenience.

Just Jeff
09-18-2005, 23:58
What is truly fascinating about Whiteblaze is the depths of irrationality that some members have achieved when attempting to respond to a rational dialectic.
It's funny...when I find something on the internet that doesn't add value to my life, I move on to something that does.

Rather than sit around and complain about other people doing what they enjoy, I mean.

Rifleman
09-19-2005, 00:49
[QUOTE=Just Jeff]"It's funny...when I find something on the internet that doesn't add value to my life, I move on to something that does."

You must be constantly "moving on to something that does." Hmm, unfocused; symptomatic of ADHD behavior.

[QUOTE]"Rather than sit around and complain about other people doing what they enjoy, I mean."

What do you truly mean? Why would I miss the opportunity to observe all the fascinating psychopathology? You must be kidding. It only costs pennys per hour!

Frosty
09-19-2005, 01:04
You must be constantly "moving on to something that does." Hmm, unfocused; symptomatic of ADHD behavior.
This must be one of them there depths of irrationale responses you all was joshing us about. I can see why's you finds 'em so funny. You carry that there thee-saw-us with you when you hike, do you?

Big Dawg
09-19-2005, 07:09
Since I joined it really isn't any more 'convenient' to use Whiteblaze.
R.
I feel it's extremely convenient to hit "new posts" (as Jeff said in post 1), so that each time I come back to Whiteblaze, I don't have to scroll thru a bunch of posts I've already read. Plus, posting threads/posts (questions that I have) w/in Whiteblaze has opened up a lot more info that I would have otherwise missed. If all I could do was read what someone else wrote, it wouldn't be as personal & informative to my specific questions/concerns.

I'm not trying to come down on ya, Rifleman,,,, just letting all know my great personal experience since going from non-member to MEMBER!!!! Plus, it's really fun to post my pictures, & see them come up on the home page from time to time, knowing that others from around the world are seeing them too! :sun

Learn as much as you can,,,, & hike on!!!

Big Dawg
09-19-2005, 07:22
[QUOTE=Rifleman][QUOTE=Just Jeff]"It's funny...when I find something on the internet that doesn't add value to my life, I move on to something that does."

[QUOTE]

Check out his web page--(link at bottow of all Just Jeff's posts),,, definately not unfocused. :D

rhjanes
09-19-2005, 11:28
well, something I've noticed on all forums (and one I super-moderate).

There are feaking SPIDERs out there that hook into foums and look like "guest". sometimes, they look like spiders, but mostly guest. As long as the site admins have it so emails are restriced(You have to register to see them), then it is OK. Still, won't stop these automated bugs from TRYING to snatch email ID's to spam later on.

Rifleman
09-19-2005, 11:42
Check out his web page--(link at bottow of all Just Jeff's posts),,, definately not unfocused. :D An interesting site, yet were those pictures used with the owner's permission?
Speaking of copyright, etc. JacksrUs, with whom he has a business relationship with apparently is using a picture of an H&H from WhiteBlaze on their main page. Perhaps they have permission to use the shot, perhaps not. Bottom line is that its (JJ's site) all (almost) taken from somewhere else on the web. Even I, with my primitive internet skills could, running the risk of copyright violation, do so.
To get back to the original discussion; there are really no extra advantages to becoming a 'member' of WhiteBlaze versus a non-member except for the opportunity to rationally argue with irrational individuals and observe their concomitant behavior.

Just Jeff
09-19-2005, 12:08
I have emailed every person and asked explicitly for permission. Many folks responded with a handful of other pictures for me to choose from.

orangebug
09-19-2005, 14:42
... To get back to the original discussion; there are really no extra advantages to becoming a 'member' of WhiteBlaze versus a non-member except for the opportunity to rationally argue with irrational individuals and observe their concomitant behavior.
Aptly demonstrated. Members really benefit from Ignore buttons when they aren't interested in such voyeuristic thrills.

Big Dawg
09-19-2005, 16:14
Right on, Orangebug!!

Rifleman
09-20-2005, 00:27
I have emailed every person and asked explicitly for permission. Many folks responded with a handful of other pictures for me to choose from. Perhaps you have done what you say you have done. It is interesting that questions have been raised by others on other forums here recently which attempted to ascertain your veracity and probity concerning your representation of yourself on those forums and current business relationships you have. Your behavior reminds me of a certain 'White Knight' who used to be a member of the hammock camping forum. Rather interesting....

Just Jeff
09-20-2005, 00:31
Hahaha...ok, Rifleman.

Happy hiking.

Rifleman
09-20-2005, 00:44
Aptly demonstrated. Members really benefit from Ignore buttons when they aren't interested in such voyeuristic thrills. It is a new one on me that there are activities on WhiteBlaze.net that can be viewed voyeuristically. These voyeristic oportunities must be in the photo galleries. Darn I guess I missed them. As far as the use of special buttons to ignore individuals-- C. Loyd Morgan's Cannon of Parsimony should suffice. Why go to the trouble of using a button when you can simply pass over (and not read) a post that offends your refined sensibilities?

Heater
09-20-2005, 01:51
Why go to the trouble of using a button when you can simply pass over (and not read) a post that offends your refined sensibilities?
I have only had to put one user on ignore in all the years I have been on the internet but that was someone in this forum.

It reduces their post to one line saying you have them on ignore. Most importantly, putting them on ignore will keep them out of your PM. :)

DLFrost
09-21-2005, 00:39
There are feaking SPIDERs out there that hook into foums and look like "guest". sometimes, they look like spiders, but mostly guest. As long as the site admins have it so emails are restriced(You have to register to see them), then it is OK. Still, won't stop these automated bugs from TRYING to snatch email ID's to spam later on.
Another possible source of anon. readers is Google--Whiteblaze forum messages show up in searches there. People searching for info on hammock camping, backpack brands or whatever are likely to read forum messages because they actually feature people talking about the subject in question rather than sell-site jabbery. (That's how I tumbled onto Whiteblaze--I was Google-searching product info.)

Doug Frost

Spartan Hiker
09-21-2005, 17:03
Another possible source of anon. readers is Google--Whiteblaze forum messages show up in searches there. People searching for info on hammock camping, backpack brands or whatever are likely to read forum messages because they actually feature people talking about the subject in question rather than sell-site jabbery. (That's how I tumbled onto Whiteblaze--I was Google-searching product info.)

Doug FrostDitto. I found this site in a round about way via a google search. I lurked for about a week before registering. I'm already well on my way to WhiteBlaze addiction. :)

Just Jeff
09-21-2005, 17:50
I'm already well on my way to WhiteBlaze addiction. :)
My name is Jeff, and I'm...

Spartan Hiker
09-21-2005, 21:42
LOL! Well, at least I'm in good company...

Seeker
09-21-2005, 23:28
yes? a what? gear head? hammock camper? ultralightweight hiker?

all of the above, in my case...LOL :D

i lurked for a couple years before i made the jump...

Kerosene
09-21-2005, 23:32
Just Jeff is averaging 1.68 posts per day since he joined early this year. My trusty Windows calculator tells me that at this rate he will catch me in total postings in 8.4 years. But I keep telling my wife that I'm not addicted...I can stop anytime...Watch me.

Just Jeff
09-22-2005, 00:25
Haha...but it's finals week, so I'm probably averaging 12-15 posts a day. Every time I take a break from writing papers, I check WB to clear my head. (One done today, two more due Friday...)

My wife found an internet addiction site. Things like:
- If the first thing you do in the morning is check your email (or WB)
- If the last thing you do at night is check your email (or WB)

Yeawp...that's me. But I can stop anytime I want, too. Really. Matter of fact, I'll stop right now.

See y'all tomorrow...

Heater
09-22-2005, 00:47
Haha...but it's finals week, so I'm probably averaging 12-15 posts a day. Every time I take a break from writing papers, I check WB to clear my head. (One done today, two more due Friday...)

My wife found an internet addiction site. Things like:
- If the first thing you do in the morning is check your email (or WB)
- If the last thing you do at night is check your email (or WB)

Yeawp...that's me. But I can stop anytime I want, too. Really. Matter of fact, I'll stop right now.

See y'all tomorrow...
Wait a minute... you still there?

Alligator
09-22-2005, 10:01
Just Jeff is averaging 1.68 posts per day since he joined early this year. My trusty Windows calculator tells me that at this rate he will catch me in total postings in 8.4 years. But I keep telling my wife that I'm not addicted...I can stop anytime...Watch me.Don't let her see the green screen! Keep an open page with the news and Alt TAB:banana .

Just Jeff
09-22-2005, 10:34
Yeah...I keep my papers down there. She's sly to that, though. I couldn't keep a straight face when she asked!

And I stopped last night. Just like I said I could. See?!

Tin Man
09-22-2005, 12:11
My wife doesn't seem to notice my email (or WB) addiction - mainly because she has her own email addiction!

Remember: A happy email addicted family is where each addict has his/her own fix (PC).