PDA

View Full Version : cheese

schultz104
03-30-2014, 19:52
I am doing the JMT this summer. I am wondering how long cheese will last in the bear canister.
thanks
Eric

kayak karl
03-30-2014, 19:57
i don't know if they ever figured that out. too many variables. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=5503148&pp=

RedBeerd
03-30-2014, 20:08
I remember when I first joined WB this was a question ya just don't ask, haha.

Hard cheese last for awhile. If it gets moldy cut the mold off. Its cheese it is meant for stuff like hiking! It may get oily on hot days. Whatever!

imscotty
03-30-2014, 20:19
This has been a passionately debated subject on Whiteblaze in the past. You may have opened up a can of worms with this one.

My opinion.... cheese is one of my favorite foods on or off the trail. Yes, it can get moldy and sweaty. I still eat it. It is all good. How long can it last? Well, I have never been able to keep it long enough it in my pack for it to become truly bad. I pack it every time. YMMV

rafe
03-30-2014, 20:30
Blessed are the cheesemakers.

Odd Man Out
03-30-2014, 22:07
Only until you eat it. Then it's crap.

StichBurly
03-30-2014, 22:34
cheese is milks leap to immortality

Tundra
03-30-2014, 22:49
I am doing the JMT this summer. I am wondering how long cheese will last in the bear canister.
thanks
Eric

White cheese last long than orange; don't touch the cheese with your fingers because the oil from your fingers will help to accelerate the inevitable. My cheese usually doesn't last very long but definitely longer than my chocolate. I've had cheese last up to a week in the high desert of Oregon; temps reaching a 100* Im careful to not leave it in the sun and I try and keep it deep in the pack. I've also been known to freeze it before leaving the house. I won't go without cheese. ;)

Grinder
03-31-2014, 08:55
I can't speak for full summer, but during my spring hikes I always carry a block of sharp cheddar. When it warms up (some 80's days) the cheese gets soft and oily looking. I've never had a mold problem on the trail. The summer sausage that I favor sometimes does get a touch of mold. I just trim the mold off and eat it. Never been sick from it.

That's my cheesy story.

BillyGr
03-31-2014, 15:42
thanks
Eric

Probably some amount less than it would on a hike where the canister wasn't required?
Only thinking that aren't most of those containers a dark color? Which, in warmer temps would get hotter (like a black shirt vs a white one), plus a closed container would hold the heat (like your car does in the summer).

FarmerChef
03-31-2014, 15:46
If you really want your cheese to last, dip the cheese in hot wax. Of course, just like the package it comes in, once that's opened the inevitable begins. This would then seem to indicate that buying more small packages is better than one big package unless that big package is a sphere or square. Most cheese is sold in thin little "bars" that don't leave a lot of room for trimming the mold off. As for oily and soft, so be it. Once it goes into my red beans and rice, burritos, grits or whatever else I'm cooking that's just fine by me. Remember too that hard cheese like Parmesan or Asiago will last even longer than a sharp cheddar. It has a bold flavor which also means you can use of less it and help it last longer.

Odd Man Out
03-31-2014, 21:03
If you really want your cheese to last, dip the cheese in hot wax. ...

I might try these next time. Single serving size - pre-packaged in wax.

http://www.thelaughingcow.com/products/new-mini-babybel-white-cheddar/

Hill Ape
03-31-2014, 21:07
Isn't cheese already rotten?

fastfoxengineering
04-02-2014, 14:39
Mini babybells. Comes in a couple different varieties of cheese. Each one individual wrapped in wax. Each one is a good serving of cheese. Not the greatest cheese in the world but still delicious. I always grab a bag on my way out the grocery store heading toward the trail. the package of 6 comes in a mesh "onion" style bag. Which also serves as a nice disposable pot scrubber. Never had them mold. Had a few soften up in the hot summer but were fine and not displeasing to eat. I usually eat 1-2 per day on the trail. Sometimes grab two different flavors and take 12 of them with me. Each one is around 50-75 calories with some protein.

Flavors: Original, light, mozzarella, cheddar, sharp, bonbell, white cheddar, and gouda.

My choice when it comes to backpacking with cheese.

psyon27
04-02-2014, 14:48
I like the idea of the mini babybells! Sounds like I can use the wax for firestarter for a woodstove. Will have to see if that wax burns well.

Ken

Hikes in Rain
04-02-2014, 14:50
It burns nicely, and makes a fine fire starter.

fastfoxengineering
04-02-2014, 14:56
As much as you "shouldn't".. I do use the wax wrappers as a fire starter every so often. Seems like I'm always eating cheese and drinking bourbon as I prepare a campfire.

RangerZ
04-02-2014, 17:06
This has been a passionately debated subject on Whiteblaze in the past. You may have opened up a can of worms with this one.

My opinion.... cheese is one of my favorite foods on or off the trail. Yes, it can get moldy and sweaty. I still eat it. It is all good. How long can it last? Well, I have never been able to keep it long enough it in my pack for it to become truly bad. I pack it every time. YMMV

How long does a can of worms last after its opened?c

atraildreamer
04-02-2014, 17:24
How long does a can of worms last after its opened?c Depends on how well the fish are biting!

psyon27
04-13-2014, 09:04
So why "shouldn't" I use the wax for fire starter? Is it because it is food packaging? If that's the reason I would argue that I'm not using it in fire rings, but in my own personal wood stove.

Ken

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

cheetahgeek
05-17-2014, 21:37
Cheese and pita bread. Don't leave home without it. Not sure about the bear can though. If this is a question for the AT I'm assuming this is for the Smoky Mtn section? Should be cold enough that there is no issue. The only time I had a issue was in Summer months and the heat caused the cheese to become oily goo. Not different than melted cheese on pizza. Eat it fast enough and you won't have an issue.