PDA

View Full Version : Downproof nylon?

Big Dawg
09-18-2005, 08:54
I'm checking out some material at thru-hiker.com to make a quilt,, & some of the nylons are downproof. I'm not sure what this means. Does it mean that if I use this nylon to make a quilt & fill it w/ down, that the down will not poke thru?? I'll be using a synthetic filler,, but still wanted to know what "downproof" means

kncats
09-18-2005, 11:17
I'm checking out some material at thru-hiker.com to make a quilt,, & some of the nylons are downproof. I'm not sure what this means. Does it mean that if I use this nylon to make a quilt & fill it w/ down, that the down will not poke thru?? I'll be using a synthetic filler,, but still wanted to know what "downproof" means
"Downproof" refers to the ability of a material to resist the down working its way through a fabric. A large part of it has to do with the threadcount, the higher the better. Just as important though is the type and size of yard, the density the yarn itself is spun with and the finish on the fabric. The quality of the down also matters. Lower quality down can have a higher percentage of feathers in it which will have thicker and stronger quills that can poke through.

Big Dawg
09-18-2005, 13:46
Thanks, Kncats!