PDA

View Full Version : Post your progress on your planning...

Dahoyt
03-31-2014, 13:51
Was thinking a thread concerning how everyone's planning is coming would be good. We can share tips, get advice, generally anything... Post away fellow 15'ers!

Dahoyt
03-31-2014, 13:59
My first dilemma is figuring out what gear I have I want to use, what needs to be upgraded, etc. I know I want a LightHeart Tent, over my EMS Velocity One (it's a good tent, just a little to confining for me being 6"3). On the fence about my trekking poles, I know a lot of people just use the Wal-Mart ones which I use because it's only 30 bucks to replace, and I went through two nice pairs (100 dollar range) in one season so I said never again. Maybe I'm too rough on them. Thoughts? Def want an Osprey bag, still unsure of new sleeping bag.The things I know I'm going with that I already have are my clothes (in love with the ones I have for hiking, especially my Darn Tough Socks), keeping my stove setup (I use the MSR Pocket Rocket, and my odds and ends I am happy with... So many frickin' choices!!!

contrast009
03-31-2014, 16:08
I have just started to look at gear. I am just starting to get into long distance hiking so I need to buy almost everything. I am trying to get some pretty lightweight stuff to start because it is cheaper to buy light than to start with heavy stuff, then transition to light. There are so many choices out there it is really hard to even get one thing nailed down. I just bought my pack last weekend though, a Granite Gear Crown VC 60. I am really excited to use it for summer hiking.

Nick P
03-31-2014, 16:18
[QUOTE On the fence about my trekking poles, I know a lot of people just use the Wal-Mart ones which I use because it's only 30 bucks to replace, and I went through two nice pairs (100 dollar range) in one season so I said never again. Maybe I'm too rough on them. Thoughts? QUOTE]

As you have time to shop, keep an eye on geartrade.com (or even eBay). I just got a used pair of top-of-the-line Komperdells for $60, having got frustrated with a pair of cheap ones. They wouldn't lock consistently and the handles were plastic...sweaty/slippery.

wtrenda
03-31-2014, 16:57
i feel like i'm pretty far along in my planning. i have all of my gear but upgrades are constantly on my mind. my biggest concern is tuning in my gear perfectly and then figuring out where to send mail drops. i don't want to be on a really strict itinerary, so i am hoping to not schedule most of my stops until i get on the trail and figure it out.

a question i would like to ask is how many 15'ers are UL and what are your baseweights as of now? i've just recently started to move into the UL realm and have my baseweight down to 12lbs but will probably be closer to 10lbs come next spring.

Conductor
03-31-2014, 18:00
Well we're approximately a year out. Time's a wastin. I need to get two pair of shoes broke in, and I really haven't even decided on the style. Currently testing Vasque Scree.

I've whittled my summer weight down to just over 13 lbs, with a goal of 12, which is looking unlikely. I only use winter weight until the Nantalaha river, then send the extra gear home. That may change. Nowadays, lightweight is getting damn expensive, but I have this crazy goal of minimizing without going what I consider extreme. I still have the basic gear, but I find the lightest available and ignore the cost. Why? Because I'm sorta goal oriented.

I see Contrast009 has chosen Granite Gear Crown VC 60. Me too. Took 3/4 LB off that spreadsheet bottom line, and I was using a 3 lb Granite Gear Ozone.

Conductor
03-31-2014, 18:04
i feel like i'm pretty far along in my planning. i have all of my gear but upgrades are constantly on my mind. my biggest concern is tuning in my gear perfectly and then figuring out where to send mail drops. i don't want to be on a really strict itinerary, so i am hoping to not schedule most of my stops until i get on the trail and figure it out.

a question i would like to ask is how many 15'ers are UL and what are your baseweights as of now? i've just recently started to move into the UL realm and have my baseweight down to 12lbs but will probably be closer to 10lbs come next spring.

Hey wTrenda. Was just reading through and saw your post. Would like to swap lists if you're interested. I really wouldn't call myself UL, but I suppose it fits.
Cheers,

wtrenda
03-31-2014, 18:43
Here's my list:

*I'm sure I am probably missing a couple of things and estimated on some of the weights but it's as accurate as I can get it for now. I am also posting my summer gear switches and future upgrades out to the side. Feel free to share any info on whether or not I should go for those upgrades or recommend something better.

Big 4:
ULA Ohm 2.0 29oz
BA Fly Creek UL1 32oz *upgrade* Zpacks Solo Tarp ~ 7oz
Thermarest Neoair Xlite 12oz
MH Phantom 15 33oz *switch* Western Mountaineering Highlite ~16oz
Total=6.6lbs

Clothing:
Patagonia Baggies 4.3oz
Smartwool NTS 150wt L/S 6oz
Smartwool PhD Socks 3oz
Ex Officio Boxer ~3oz
Patagonia Cap 3 Bottoms 6.8oz
Patagonia R1 Hoody 12.6oz
Patagonia UL Down Shirt 5.7oz
Smartwool 250 wt 1/4 zip 10oz
Marmot PreCip Shell 13.1oz *upgrade* OR Helium 2 ~7oz
Granite Gear Stuff Sack 2.8oz
Total=4.2lbs

Cookware:
Primus stove 2.7oz *upgrade* Blue Mini Alcohol Stove w/ windscreen&priming pan ~1.5oz
Snowpeak pot 4.8oz
Platypus 3L camp bladder 3.8oz *filled usually only at camp
Sea2Summit Alphalight Spork .4oz
Sawyer Squeeze Filter 3.5oz
Zpacks Cuben Food bag 1.4oz
Platypus 2L Bottle 1.3oz
Total=1.1lbs

Miscellaneous:
First Aid, electronics, head lamp, etc ~10oz
Total=.63lbs

Overall Total=12.5lbs
Like I said, I don't think that's truly an all encompassing list, but it's pretty close.

Caddywhompus
04-02-2014, 05:38
We're a year out but I've been buying gear now for about 3 years waiting for the right time to go. 2015 is that year.

As far as what I have now....

Osprey Volt 60
ENO Double Nest w/Rain Fly (Plan on getting the Bug Net for further north)
North Face Cat's Meow 20 Degree (I'm cold-natured so I need more then most)
Columbia Nylon fishing shirt and rip off pants
UnderArmour Cold Gear long sleeve shirt
Patagonia Down Jacket (it's good from 20 up to 60 degrees)
Patagonia Wool Hat

Still got a long way to go. Need a nice set of poles, light weight canister stove, headlamp, and a GoPro camera. That and Patagonia rain gear and i'll be looking pretty good. I'm lucky in the respect that my local outfitter has a guy that finished the trail in 2012. His advice is incredible. This site is great but nothing beats having someone right there to answer questions.

CHRISTINE2015
04-02-2014, 16:05
So far I've gotten an Icebreaker base layer top, a Patagonia R2 fleece and a Mountain Hardwear rain jacket (superlight). I was expecting the rain jacket to be somewhat warm, but when I got it, thinking it isn't going to be, do I need a bigger jacket? If so I'm going to have to exchange the rain jacket for a larger size, it will fit the fleece under, but not a bigger jacket. I got a set of Komperdell trekking poles last week and am looking to get a lightheart to fit them. Got a Northface sleeping bag for Christmas a few years ago, so that's the only thing I had going in! Got a sweet deal on a primus 3.0 liter pot on theclymb this morning. I still have a ways to go, and every day I think of something new. I'm going to spend this summer dehydrated and vacuum sealing food to ship!

wtrenda
04-02-2014, 16:13
So far I've gotten an Icebreaker base layer top, a Patagonia R2 fleece and a Mountain Hardwear rain jacket (superlight). I was expecting the rain jacket to be somewhat warm, but when I got it, thinking it isn't going to be, do I need a bigger jacket? If so I'm going to have to exchange the rain jacket for a larger size, it will fit the fleece under, but not a bigger jacket. I got a set of Komperdell trekking poles last week and am looking to get a lightheart to fit them. Got a Northface sleeping bag for Christmas a few years ago, so that's the only thing I had going in! Got a sweet deal on a primus 3.0 liter pot on theclymb this morning. I still have a ways to go, and every day I think of something new. I'm going to spend this summer dehydrated and vacuum sealing food to ship!

I'd definitely consider an insulating piece for the colder temps. Down or synthetic but something warmer than just a fleece midlayer and a rain jacket.

Conductor
04-02-2014, 21:20
This is just summer gear, since 85% of the hike is in milder weather. A few more layer pieces for the early part of the hike.
Still a work in progress and will stay that way. Stuff in yellow is targeted for reduction.

Conductor
04-02-2014, 21:31
wTrenda, nice list. Done a lot of homework, and it shows.

For anyone considering an alcohol stove, do yourself a favor and try one out for a week in foul weather. I tried a Pepsi can stove and it just didn't cut it for me. I know a lot of people swear by them.

wtrenda
04-02-2014, 23:26
Thanks Conductor!! I work in the outdoor industry, so I've been lucky to get some major deals on gear and to experiment with some of the newer stuff on occasion. Yours is definitely a bit more I now know I'm missing accurate weights on electronics and camp shoes entirely. I haven't used camp shoes in a long time because I've just loosened my Salomons at camp and been happy with that, but I'm taking some for my thru just to walk around towns in and to get out of my hikers.

I'm still in between on whether or not I will move to an alcohol. I'm not impatient but i know of much of a pain the alcohol stoves can be. I work with a guy that thru hiked in 07 with an alcohol stove the whole time and said he never had catastrophic issues with it...only a few cold nights that took some playing around to light it. I'm gonna play around with some homemade alcohol stoves before I purchase a more durable one.

What is everyone using for an pot insulator?

jimmyjam
04-03-2014, 08:23
Most people make one from reflectix or a car shade or use their wool or fleece cap

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

ChuckT
04-03-2014, 09:06
If that's your list I'd consider losing the flashlight in exchange for a headlight. I never have enough hands when I have to use a flashlight. Also with some you get the red light option. Handy to have when you want to not bother other sleepers.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

YesRushGen
04-03-2014, 10:35
Hi all,

When I started researching and acquiring gear, I found out about geargrams.com. For those who haven't heard of it - it's a great site. You can create your own personal gear library, then assign specific gear items to gear lists. For example, I've got a Summer Gear list and a Winter Gear list. Once you enter all your stuff, you can then share your list with others. Makes a convenient way to keep all your gear items and decisions in one place. Oh, and you can even import/export your lists!

Here's my list so far...

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=17966

...yes, I know I have much more to consider - but at least I've got my big four, cooking and water done. Now, I'm on to the smaller items.

Kelly

Conductor
04-03-2014, 19:09
If that's your list I'd consider losing the flashlight in exchange for a headlight. I never have enough hands when I have to use a flashlight. Also with some you get the red light option. Handy to have when you want to not bother other sleepers.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Just curious Chuck who's list you were referring to? Headlamps are OK, but there are alternatives that are lighter and more durable, such as a.
http://www.photonlight.com/led-flashlights/photon-freedom-micro-led-keychain-flashlight/ If course, there is the problem of losing it because it's so small.

Conductor
04-03-2014, 19:11
Nice site :) Now I feel old fashioned with my spreadsheet, LOL.

wtrenda
04-03-2014, 21:32
I did a spreadsheet, too until I found geargrams a few weeks ago. I don't know how I got by without it now. Haha.

I want to get away from gear list comparisons though and ask a question...

How far along is everyone with the logistics of their resupplies?

I keep going back and forth about how to do my resupply... I go from wanting to do mail drops to certain locations, bounce one box along the way, buying resupplies along the way or some combination. I've looked at the resupply article on here and it gives great, specific information but everyone's hike is different.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
04-03-2014, 21:54
Did some research. Talked to some people. Bought some stuff. Came to WB and learned some more stuff. Thought, oh crap, I don't know anything. Back to the drawing board. Some stuff going back. Selection begins anew :-? After all, I have 11 months and 2 days....plenty of time!!!

wtrenda
04-03-2014, 23:55
Did some research. Talked to some people. Bought some stuff. Came to WB and learned some more stuff. Thought, oh crap, I don't know anything. Back to the drawing board. Some stuff going back. Selection begins anew :-? After all, I have 11 months and 2 days....plenty of time!!!

HYOH. I really don't care what people take with them as long as they finish. I've tried to get feedback on my own gear but when it came down to it, people's suggestions always seem to bring me back to the same conclusion--"I don't care." I like what I have and I'm looking to upgrade what I want to upgrade. While I always like to know what other people think, I've realized I haven't really based my own choices off of others opinions.

Find what you like and what's comfortable and and what works...then all you have to do is take it from GA to ME. It's that easy. Haha.

contrast009
04-04-2014, 06:24
As far as resupplies go, my goal is to do the hike without mail drops or a bounce box. It will mean carrying a little more weight, but then I won't have to think about all of the extra logistics that go into planning them.

wtrenda
04-04-2014, 12:02
That's sort of what I was hoping to do. I went through the guide book and marked probable resupply towns. I could see maybe doing a bounce box though. For anything bought in bulk or something that is only needed in a town, I wouldn't mind just bouncing it to the next town that I know I'm gonna stop in.

Boots and Backpacks
04-04-2014, 12:55
We talked about doing drop boxes when we first started planning. I sounds like a good idea, but you're going to have food that get wasted this way. We're going to end up doing a drop boxes, but only sending a couple items that we like and won't be able to find in most trail towns. Pretty sure we'll also be doing a bounce box, which is more for me. I plan on putting my clippers in a bounce box so I can shave my head regularly. I've had a shaved for over 15 years now, and letting it grow on the AT doesn't sound fun. However, the beard will be going crazy!

jimmyjam
04-04-2014, 13:10
My stuff is dialed in. I'm just walking north and making it up as I go. But what do I know, I'm just a LASHER.

Caddywhompus
04-05-2014, 22:22
So today is my girlfriend and I's two year anniversary. I was very surprised when I opened my present and it was a SteriPEN Ultra. So water filtration is checked off the list. Oh and if you're wondering what I got her it was a Kelty Coyote 75.

Conductor
04-07-2014, 21:39
How far along is everyone with the logistics of their resupplies?

I keep going back and forth about how to do my resupply... I go from wanting to do mail drops to certain locations, bounce one box along the way, buying resupplies along the way or some combination. I've looked at the resupply article on here and it gives great, specific information but everyone's hike is different.

This just my opinion, but mail drops are a pain. Maybe in a town you know for sure you are stopping in like Pearisburg or Danville. But if you put one where you'll need to leave the trail, Waynesboro for instance, it will be more bother than help, if you find that you really wanted to put more miles in that day. Re-supply is actually pretty easy. Every town on the trail will have most of the things you need, which usually boils down to food and a few essentials, like maybe some TP. A lot of towns, like Damascus, even have an outfitter or two. Maine gets a little dicey, I couldn't find the instant potatoes I had come to thrive on. I did do a bounce box at NOC, but sent it home for good from there.

q-tip
04-08-2014, 13:05
If anyone is interested, I have a number of planning spreadsheets--gear--food-training. Send me a PM with your email and I will forward. The gear lists have weights and costs.....U/L, Summer 3-season, cold 3-season.....

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
04-08-2014, 23:03
Okay, went for a 12 mile hike this past weekend. My pack weighs in at 4.5, a little heavy I know, but I couldn't even tell I had the thing on carrying about 25 lb the folks from REI back home had the thing so dialed in for me. I'll still try to find a lighter one but if I don't find something as comfortable. I am good to go pack wise. Shoes were another issue. Toe box was great, no slippage in the heal but I found myself consciously walking on the outer edge of my foot to support my arch. I guess from the extra weigh if the pack. Looked at some of little lighter tents but I am happy with my BA CS 1. So that is a go. Still need to do a sleep over to determine if my pad is worth the few extra ozs for the longer length. And I feel confident with my Sierra design zissou 17 bag. Need to order some merino wool socks - ended up with a blister wearing cotton :-( can't wait to do it again and learn some more!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wtrenda
04-08-2014, 23:38
Okay, went for a 12 mile hike this past weekend. My pack weighs in at 4.5, a little heavy I know, but I couldn't even tell I had the thing on carrying about 25 lb the folks from REI back home had the thing so dialed in for me. I'll still try to find a lighter one but if I don't find something as comfortable. I am good to go pack wise. Shoes were another issue. Toe box was great, no slippage in the heal but I found myself consciously walking on the outer edge of my foot to support my arch. I guess from the extra weigh if the pack. Looked at some of little lighter tents but I am happy with my BA CS 1. So that is a go. Still need to do a sleep over to determine if my pad is worth the few extra ozs for the longer length. And I feel confident with my Sierra design zissou 17 bag. Need to order some merino wool socks - ended up with a blister wearing cotton :-( can't wait to do it again and learn some more!!

Glad you are getting the time to go out and hike! I wish I had some more free time to do it. I have a big shakedown hike coming up in May(Springer to Fontana), so I will make some final decisions on that hike. Hope your planning is still going well, and it looks like you are well on your way!

CarlZ993
04-08-2014, 23:42
You guys have put a lot of thought in your lists. Just a couple of observations to make. Concentrate on reducing pack weight but make sure you don't compromise being safe, warm, & dry. When you start definitely impacts what you have to (or need to) carry. You start in March (like I did) or earlier, you'll need a lot more clothing, a warmer sleeping bags, & possibly Microspikes (for icy trails; really wished I brought mine). Don't forget earplugs. Even if you say you won't use shelters, you will when the weather is nasty. Someone always snores. And they go to sleep first. Use a headlamp that has a red LED light option. You won't wake everyone up when you make a midnight potty run. Just remember, your shoes/boots will probably dry out a couple weeks after you finish your hike. At least that's what it seemed like to me. I really liked putting on dry socks & my Crocs when I got to camp/shelter.

Anyway, happy planning. Happy hiking.

Conductor
04-10-2014, 22:32
Earplugs... darn there goes my pack weight. LOL Seriously good point though. We had one fellow went by the name of chainsaw. Three guesses how he got that trail name.

Very true. Count the grams on the summer weight pack. For me that's what I call base pack, and it's the one you will carry for the most part of the trail. Add to that base to account for colder weather. Here are some things I add for those unpredictable spring days.

Silk Cocoon for a boost to sleeping bag insulation
Under Armor Cold Gear top and bottom set for an extra layer in camp
Marmot Precip Pants for an outer windbreaker shell
Wool watch cap
Fleece Head Pullover
Gloves
Yak Trax

Aussie Legs
04-14-2014, 03:46
My gear is slowly getting there... although I still have my days of feeling completely overwhelmed!! I'm finding my biggest challenge is that there aren't many options for gear in my city and REI has a lot of restrictions on sending to international addresses. My Mum will be in the USA next month and I'm hoping she will pick up my tent, sleeping mat and sleeping bag... have decided on a BA Fly Creek for the tent, tossing up between a ZLite Sol Pad or a Prolite Plus and have no idea on a sleeping bag!! I generally freeze at night :( So I have about 2 weeks to decide on them!! Any suggestions are welcome :D
I'm heading off for a 100km hike next week to try my new pack out and to satisfy my hiking needs!! My feet are always very hit and miss with blisters so we'll see how that goes.
Check out my blog to read about my prep...
aussieleggs.wordpress.com

Bring on 2015!

Busfoot
05-13-2014, 03:09
Planning is good so far. I have a rough itinerary that I probably won't follow. Base weight is down to 12.5. Food menu is next up. It'll be interesting, as I'm vegan and plan on a no-cook hike. I know, I know, everyone will tell me that I'll die without warm food on a cold night or coffee in the morning. Those things rarely help me perk up. I find them to be a pain.

ihavea4
05-13-2014, 10:40
I'm hoping for a 2015 thru, but it will really come down to how things go for the rest of the year. i originally went out a got a bunch of gear (tent, backpack, sleeping bag, and stove) but then returned the tent and bag since they were much heavier and expensive than i would like. i also didn't plan much before buying them, so i didn't care about weight. i don't have all of my gear yet, mostly still undecided on clothes, but i'm hoping to get my base weight down to 15 lbs or less. i also don't really have anyone to help with mailing supplies, so i don't plan to use any mail drops or bounce boxes and i expect to carry all of my gear from start to finish, meaning i won't send anything home (it would be too much of a hassle to get it back later on.) now i just have to get the rest of my gear together and start using it! hopefully the money will all work out and i'll be out there on the trail next year. if not though, i'll be getting out as much as possible and hoping for 2016!

Sclark9082
06-16-2014, 13:46
Have really enjoyed reading about everyone's planning and gear lists etc. Can't seem to get enough information. But I feel personally that I'm set and ready with what I have pulled together to start my thru-hike coming up in April '15. Can't really compare my base weight to those appearing here. But I don't consider myself an ultra light person by any stretch of the imagination. I'm looking at best somewhere in the 25 - 30 lb range. Have a Kelty pack and an Zephyr 1.1 tent. I do plan on swapping out my warmer sleeping bag with a much lighter one once the weather get's warmer for me. Not too much of a gadget freak so not carrying anything like an ipad or tablet. Just my android and an all weather camera. Have been doing weekend hikes since January at about 8 -12 miles a day with my pack. Most strenuous one was a few weekends ago at Bull Run Mountain Conservatory. Lot's of rocks. Have two pair of shoes I really feel comfortable in and bought a third pair to break in for shipping to me as needed. Alot of people were discussing cooking arrangements and I'm convinced for me, alcohol stove is the way to go. Discovered that denatured alcohol burns so much cleaner and ignites so much easier than 90% iso (rubbing alcohol)

overthinker
06-26-2014, 10:34
So far, I've pretty much got gear squared away - might need to get a bigger tarp for the new hammock on the way, but we'll see.

To hopefully move this thread away from being another "what gear you got" thread, here's some other planning I've been doing:

- Money: I sold my car, which I wasn't using, so I've got a few grand from that as well as the savings from not paying insurance/gas/maintenance/etc. I've also been scrimping as much as I'm comfortable with, so I've still saving a few hundred dollars every month. I've got enough in the bank to have a very comfortable hike, but there's no reason not to keep building that cushion.

- Training: I've started running, which is something I have never done in my life. I'm athletic, but I grew up a swimmer, so I'm used to using different muscles. I'll probably start some weights as it gets colder and I want to run less, but while it's hot I'll be running and biking.

I've also gone on a couple of shakedown hikes to see what works and what doesn't - for example, I picked up an Ursack because I discovered I really hate hanging a bear bag. This has helped me make some gear swaps and is really helping me understand things like food management. I am always bring too much food that I don't eat, which is just dead weight in my pack. I know this will change as I get into thru-mode, but I should be able to fine tune to my needs as the trail goes.

Route planning: I've been toying with the idea of skipping the section of trail in GSMNP in favor of taking the BMT through the park. The whole "staying in a shelter unless it's full or you get kicked out by non-thrus" doesn't sound like much fun. And this will probably be one of the more congested areas of trail people-wise. So, I might get off the white lines for a bit and onto the diamonds.

Still lots of logistics to work out, like if/where mail drops will happen, but there's loads of time for that.

RED-DOG
06-26-2014, 11:06
My planning is finished, got my gear selected, got my self resupply stradegy figured out, got my money saved, now i am ready to go hike the P.C.T in 2015, the only thing i am doing now is trying to figure out which direction NOBO or SOBO and i am waiting to see what kind of winter they have on the west coast if it's a mild winter i will go SOBO but if it's a hard witer i will go NOBO it will probably be the end of Jan or the first of Feb before i decide.

dangerdave
07-03-2014, 21:42
Danger is lost...NOBO...

I'm glad for those of you who, 1) have all your gear ready...already!, 2) have "special friends" at REI, and 3) know what you need/want and how to go about obtaining it! Ugh!

I'm doing this hike even if I have to go Granny Gatewood style! But the gear options are overwhelming. Get what works for you? How do I know? Reading other people's gear lists just proves that there is no consensus on what is "best", which makes it virtually impossible for noobs like to decide what to purchase. I've read nonstop about every form of gear imaginable. Stoves, bags, packs, shoes, rain gear, socks, etc. I am now an expert on what my options are and what I need, but I'm no closer to figuring out which brand, size, shape, form, or function.

But maybe I'm over thinking this. Does it matter, really? The end result will be the same. I will climb Katahdin, with 15 lbs or 30 lbs, either way.

I am not a backpacker in any way shape or form. My outdoor activities have always involved different sports: kayaking, mountain biking, day hiking, snowboarding. I have a nice 30F lightweight sleeping bag. Not good for colder weather, but can I use it with a liner in Georgia in late winter? If not, what rating do I need? My old backpack is way to heavy, so I need something lighter.

Or do I just heft my heavy, over-sized pack, wear all my warm clothes in my light-weight sleeping bag, dawn my clod-hoppers and pound it out for six months? It can/has been done.

magneto
07-04-2014, 06:56
From the Appalachian Trail Conservancy website:

"EQUIPMENT
The most predictable mistake thru-hikers make when they start is carrying too much stuff. Almost all hikers learn to trim their full pack weight to 20-35 lbs. or less after winter gear is sent home; those who don't end often up going home. Put as much effort into determining what you don't need as what you do. Conversely, thru-hikers starting in Georgia in March and early April often do not have adequate equipment for the snow, ice, and single-digit temperatures they will typically encounter in the high mountains above 5,000 and 6,000 feet in North Carolina and Tennessee. Winter conditions can also prevail on Mt. Rogers in southwest Virginia until mid-May, so northbound thru-hikers should wait to send cold-weather home gear until after reaching that point. "

Here's a link to the entire article on through-hike preparation:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/preparation

By the way, don't try to climb Katahdin with a 30 lb pack. You can borrow a day pack from the park rangers and leave your overnight gear at the base on your summit day.

magneto
07-04-2014, 07:05
This link is to a Backpacking Light article on Super Ultra Light (SUL) Backpacking in mountainous terrain. A three part series, the author covers all the issues and suggests gear to get your weight down.

SUL is defined as a base weight of 5 pounds or less which means your fully loaded weight with food, fuel and water for a multi day trip would be around 15 lbs.

You have to be a member of Backpacking Light to view the article, but it is worth it.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/mountain_sul_part3.html#.U7aJU4m9LCQ

dangerdave
07-04-2014, 07:23
Thanks, magneto. I've read the prep article from ATC. It's good to know about the day pack availability at Katahdin. I'll pass that around on the trail. And thanks for giving me more choices. SUL? Whoda thunk it!

Pardon my moment of panic. The choices can be overwhelming for someone not familiar with the gear. I was hoping to use some of what I had on hand for my thru-hike, but it looks like I'm starting from the ground up. I've got lots of polypro from my years of kayaking and snowboarding, but I will need most everything else.

They call me "Danger", my best friend says, because I am a danger to myself and the people around me. He's a funny guy! I guess it's best that I'm hiking solo.

magneto
07-04-2014, 09:36
No worries. I've humped 40 lb packs around the Whites of NH and it made hiking such a chore.

Cutting back to 25 lbs was a joy.

I'm not into being a "gram weenie" for the sake of it, but the idea of carrying only 15 lbs for a 5 day trip is absolutely compelling. Walking with that weight through the woods and hills is ecstasy.

I'm planning on Ultralight for the start of my AT thru (base weight 8-9 lbs) during winter conditions and then switching to a Super Ultralight kit (5-6 lb base weight) for the middle and end.

In going to try out the "Ultralight" stuff this summer with a southbound hike of the hundred mile wilderness starting August 18th. I'll report back how it goes.

If you are around, join me on the 18th.

I'm a middle aged guy - not the fastest hiker - I'm leaving 8 days for the 114 mike section. I've arranged with the AT Lodge in Millinocket for lodging and shuttle services. Going to start with a climb of Katahdin on the 19th and then head to Monson on the 20th. They will pick me up in Monson and drive me back to Millinocket.

dangerdave
07-10-2014, 07:33
You are lucky to have AT nearby to practice on. The hills of southern Ohio pail by comparison. I have one big hill nearby that I can hike up and down about a dozen times to simulate Katahdin. But I haven't tried that yet. I'm sure the Smokies in winter will be a real shock to my system. I'm looking forward to it. Pain is weakness leaving your body, right? :)

I've still got a lot of things to purchase, but I keep researching lighter and lighter gear. I'm not SUL, but I've got my big 3+ (pack, bag, tent, pad) down to about 8 lbs. I hope to keep my fully loaded pack under 25. This is all new to me, so the learning curve is a big climb---with lots of PUD's thrown in.

magneto
07-10-2014, 09:06
No problem - I've had to postpone my Hundred Mile Wilderness departure by a few days - now I'm going on 8/27.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Zpacks (www.zpacks.com) - I'll have it by the first week in August. I'll have a chance to try it all out - my pack, sleep system and shelter will be 4 lbs....

dangerdave
07-10-2014, 10:26
Yea, I've scoped out the Zpack stuff before. A little pricey for me, but super ultra light, certainly. Be sure to fill us in on how the gear functions in the wild. Inquiring mind want to know!

magneto
07-10-2014, 14:25
I've never used any Zpacks stuff before - but like all cottage industry products, you really have to buy and then try. They do have a great reputation. I'll post a list with photos. I'm going stoveless in the HMW, so I expect my base weight will be well under 10 pounds. I really don't care what it costs - given my back issues, the only way I can long-distance hike is if my load is very light. It's either go light or don't go. I think the Zpacks piece of this will be about $1400 when it is all done. Again, they seem like a great company and have been very responsive so far.

Venchka
07-10-2014, 23:26
Yo ,
Dangerdave
If you have those big items at 8 pounds, what are you worrying about? Most rookies carry TOO MANY things. Focus on decluttering.
Why start in winter? If you must, there are a few nice 10-15-20 degree bags hovering around 2 pounds, +/- 2-3 ounces. The bags I am pondering come from Kelty, The North Face, Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering. That time year, err on the cool end of the range unless you know for a fact that you sleep hot. You can at least sleep in cold weather at home to find the right bag.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

gbolt
07-11-2014, 23:43
[QUOTE=dangerdave;1892496]You are lucky to have AT nearby to practice on. The hills of southern Ohio pail by comparison. I have one big hill nearby that I can hike up and down about a dozen times to simulate Katahdin. But I haven't tried that yet. I'm sure the Smokies in winter will be a real shock to my system. I'm looking forward to it. Pain is weakness leaving your body, right? :)

Hey Danger, I drive thru Chillicothie to get to some great sites. 1st is Zaleski State Forest - South Loop is great for testing gear and easy to moderate overnighter at Camp D with water easily obtained, so no filtering. Then even closer is Tar Hollow but it is moderate to strenuous and cost $4 a night to stay on top of the ridge by the fire tower. Have to filter water from below the ridge or stash it up on the ridge. I have done the North Loop one day and the South loop the next too make a 2 1/2 day 2 night outing. I also will just do an overnighter either loop; North is easier, South has two climbs referred to as "2 of the 3 bears by Boy Scouts" that maintain the trail. Finally south of you is Shawnee State Forest. Those are referred to as the Little Smokies of Ohio. I hiked those in my 30's but haven't touched them since - but plan on it when I get closer to my AT thru date 2018 or 19. They would be strenuous in my book. Funny, I passed a hiker in Zaleski that had just moved back from Maine. He said he really underestimated the milage he could cover in Ohio compared to Maine because of the heat and the pointless up and downs. He said Maine was quite a bit different terrain and Zaleski caught him by surprise. I walk/hike a lot during the week in metro parks, but put a pack on and it's a game changer.

As far as gear, I started packing 33 years ago and stopped ten years back. So when I started back up two years or so ago, I thought minor adjustments was all that was needed. Little did I know the difference 10 years makes. I think I have just about overhauled every item in my pack (although the pack is still an REI Wonderland External Frame and probably now the heaviest item I carry). I used an Ultra Light Eureka Two man backpacking tent that weight 5.5 pounds. That was ultra light when I bought it, lol. Now I have gone to hanging and will never go back to the ground if I can help it.

Everything else is purchased after I read a backpackers Nov. 08 issue with an article title Pack Man (about the owner of Mountain Crossing at Neals Gap that does the shake downs). Using that list as a backbone I then continued with lots of reading on this forum, gear list on this forum and many hours of you tube gear video's. I can't thank this Forum enough for saving me money and multiple purchases to end up with what works for me.

I still have a long way to go but I now enjoy the "quest" of obtaining gear when unable to "Get on the Trail" (Thanks for a great Podcast Mags...lol) When I finally do make a purchase, I am sure it will meet my needs and if it doesn't, oh well, it's part of the "quest" and my Journey Continues. A good example is my new Caldera Cone Alcohol Stove, that arrive today, and will replace my Whisperlite Stove that is still working like a charm but too heavy. Yet, I still may end up purchasing the Snow Peak Giga Stove or Pocket Rocket and go Canister because of the danger of alcohol spills and fires. Only time will tell.

It's all a process and you have a great attitude so enjoy! Ohio isn't as Sucky as I once thought lol.

dangerdave
07-12-2014, 12:53
Thanks for the encouragement, gbolt. I'm pretty close to Tar Hollow, so that will likely be my practice range, once I get all my gear together. I am within walking distance from my home to Scioto Trails State Park, where the Buckeye Trail passes through our area, so actually, I'm not far from stuff to hike. I live here, and just like to give Ohio a hard time. :)

I've been getting a bit lazy in the past few years, and I really need to get back out and "raise the bar" before the AT next year.

dangerdave
07-12-2014, 13:01
And thanks for the Pack Man article. That list will really help. Now, when I get to Neals Gap, I won't get yelled at.

dangerdave
07-12-2014, 13:02
Sorry for the multiple posts, but here's the list if anyone needs it: http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

ChuckT
07-12-2014, 16:06
When you get to Neal's Gap ... yell back.

gbolt
07-12-2014, 18:29
Sorry for the multiple posts, but here's the list if anyone needs it: http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

I tried to link to that for you but couldn't get my bookmark link to work. It is a great article, so thanks for sharing. Like I said, it is a backbone; however, I have added some extremities to it, like a Wind shirt from Columbia - so lightweight I couldn't pass it up for it's versatility. Again, read about others experience with the Houdini. This forum is great.

Good luck to you, Danger, and all other 15ners in your preparations.

dangerdave
07-12-2014, 19:09
Indeed, this forum has been amazing to read, learn, and research. Priceless to us noobs.

At this point I have tagged much of my desired gear for purchase. Using manufacturer's weights, I'm sitting right at 20 lbs before water and food. That's "base weight", correct? I can probably shave some of that off if I try. I really want the ease and convenience of a canister stove (Jetboil) but the alcohol stoves are calling my name.

magneto
07-12-2014, 19:11
Correct - base weight = your total before food, fuel, water and consumables. Keep working on it - shave off everything you can - you are off to a great start!!

Bob55
07-12-2014, 19:14
Lets see... I pulled out every piece of gear I own, created lists, etc. Sitting at a 26+ lb base. So there is work to do here. Since most of this gear is over 15 years old, (not worthy of a list), many will be replaced with better lighter versions. First to go was an old 6+ lb BP. Now to get a new one at or under 2.5 lbs.

3 weeks ago I started hiking local trails. 2.1 miles at first, now up to about 4.5. Making the time at least every other day so far. I'm not carrying any extra weight atm besides some water. plenty of time to add.

Lucked out today getting a long sleeve 1/2 zip Merino wool sweater for a layer... $4.49 at a local Salvation Army outlet. looks hardy used, solid dark brown. Comes in at 13.5 oz. Not a top name hiking brand, but seeing an Icebreaker's Wool items sitting at 1 lb, this one fits in nicely, for now. Also picked up an older short sleeve Columbia GRT shirt. Looks brand new for $6.49. this one might not make it on the trip, but is nice to have to wear now. 8.5 oz.

Score one for savings. So far so good. Check your outlets as there are deals to be found.

dangerdave
07-12-2014, 19:43
You're a step ahead of me, Bob. I'm starting on some local trails this next week, and like you, will work up from there. This Fall, I will do some overnights with long day hikes, making use of all my gear (once I have it). I'm going to go out intentionally on some rainy days, too. This winter, I'll get in some cold weather trials---cause it's gonna be coooold in the GSMNP in winter.

Again, like you, the first thing to go was the 6 lbs outdated backpack. I've got a lot of different weights of polypro from my kayaking and snowboarding gear, so I mainly need camping equipment.

I have an obsessive personality, so I'm reading and planning every day, now. I talk about it with everyone. Dream about it in my sleep. Eat it with my meals. By the time my hike begins, I'll have walked the AT about a hundred times in my mind.

I'm sure glad my wife knows me well, or she'd think I'd lost my whits! :jump

Bob55
07-12-2014, 20:42
Hmmm... I don't feel ahead of anyone... lol... Hiking a trail here is like walking in a shopping mall. Pretty much flat, with maybe 300 ft. elevation change over the 4 miles...

magneto
07-12-2014, 20:50
Carry your pack on a treadmill with an incline.

dangerdave
07-13-2014, 07:07
I've been walking my treadmill wearing my old pack with a couple of gallon jugs of water packed inside, just for starters. :)

dangerdave
09-19-2014, 19:44
Got my gear all in. Still compiling total pack weight. Need to gather the rest of my small items, yet.

Big Four add up to 9.3 lbs on my spreadsheet. I'm pleased with that. I hope to end up with a base weight just on the heavy side of 20. That will keep me well under thirty with food and water and...

<Oh, hell. I'm a gram weenie...:jump>

wdanner
09-22-2014, 11:30
I just received my 1st gen GoLite Jam 50 last week. I'm going to be making my own hammock, tarp, and underquilt. I figure this will save me some serious money and allow me to better tailor those to my needs. I believe I can save some weight by doing these as well, instead of just buying them from Warbonnet, Hennessey, or the like. Using other hammock makers end products as a guide I believe I may be able to get my Big 4 down to about 4 pounds, under 5 for sure. Been doing lots of reading about other stuff but I think I'm going to take the less is more approach. Using Geargrams, I think I can keep my total pack weight at 20 pounds with 4 days of food and water.

dangerdave
09-22-2014, 13:32
That's good, wdanner. Keep at it, and you'll be in negative grams in no time. You'll be so light, you'll float up to Katahdin.

After additional spread sheet computations today, my "big four" is at almost exactly 10 lbs. Total base weight is sitting at 16.9 lbs, and I still have a few things to add. Trying to keep it under 20...I hope...before food and water. I'm a brute :) so I can handle it...I hope.

Only the trail will tell.

saralynne1982
09-28-2014, 12:05
I have been planning and buying gear for two years now, so I am currently on the implementation phase. I am trying out all my gear on local trails and figuring out what will work and what doesn't. I HIGHLY recommend this to all of you as this has taught me so much about preparing for the trail, swapping out equipment, and feeling comfortable with my gear. I am currently on the hunt for a UL tent because of this practice. I am also working on a comprehensive spreadsheet based on AWOLs guides to plan my food drops, lodging, outfitters, trail angels, etc. Make sure to get the AT guide when it comes out-best resource around imo. I am also working on my budget and health insurance options. T