PDA

View Full Version : A man and his sewing machine ;P

RagingHampster
01-11-2003, 12:14
Well I just purchased my sewing machine so I have officially jumped into making my own quilt, parka shell, and down vest/coat. Ill also be making reinforced sil-nylon compression bags to strap to my packframe (another thread in the gear section). It was the cheapest one they had at Walmart for just under $100. All the old ladies were pointing and laughing in the knitting aisle. I think they like me (lol!).

Monday or tuesday of next week I'll be ordering the 800fill down for my blanket, and the material. I'm also going to buy the sil-nylon for my rain shell, and compression bags. The down vest/jacket needs alot more research.

I need to find the lightest most comfortable fabric for my blanket. And I need some tips on sewing sil-nylon, which I heard can be difficult. I already have the baffleing plans for the blanket, but is there any special thing to sewing sil-nylon?

Hammock Hanger
01-11-2003, 12:53
now you know how I feel when I'm in the Power Tool Section...

I do like this new era of things, men sew and women use power tools. All things come full circle eventually. Now if man could just push out a 10.5 pound baby, all would be fair.

Good Luck with the sewing projects. I think I'm gonna make one of them "rain kilts" and give it a try.

Hammock Hanger

RagingHampster
01-11-2003, 13:16
I heard passing kidney stones is on the same level of giving birth. I've never done either (thank god) and have no way to affirm this.

Footslogger
01-11-2003, 13:23
I can speak for the kidney stone experience. Skip it if you have the option. That reminds me ...better go get a glass of water !!

Lugnut
01-11-2003, 16:35
I made one of Henry Shire's tarp tents using sil nylon. The best advice I can give you is that after you cut out your pattern use the scraps to practice. Experiment with different stitch lengths since machines vary from one brand to another. Also do not use poly-ester thread. I used to know why but don't remember the reason. You can also find tips on AYCE's site at thru-hiker.com
Hope this helps you out. Good luck. Expect to be frustrated:p

Minerva
01-11-2003, 16:43
"Also do not use poly-ester thread."

Huh? This just doesn't sound right. I'd strongly suggest using poly thread with synthetic fabrics. Always match the tread to the type of fabric. If the thread is weaker than the fabric the stitches will break, if the thread is stronger than the fabric, the stitches will saw through the fabric.
Cin:-?

Waterbuffalo
01-11-2003, 18:05
RH,
Where are you getting the 800 fillDown?

WB

Lugnut
01-11-2003, 18:16
Guess what? You're right! I looked up the instructions and you do use poly ester thread, just don't make it heavy duty . Probably for the reason you stated. Damn, I hate to be wrong!:mad: :)

RagingHampster
01-11-2003, 18:32
Thru-Hiker.com

Alison
01-11-2003, 19:18
I used cotton-covered polyester on my tarp and stuff sacks and plan to use the same with my rain suit. The only reason for this is because it was a suggestion in Jardine's book. I'm certainly no expert. It's also been easier to find--haven't even seen 100% polyester in any of the stores here.

By the way, I didn't find sil-nylon too difficult to work with. I've been having a harder time with my fleece projects. But I think I finally have the hang of it.

Alison

kythruhiker
01-11-2003, 19:28
There's a sewing section at Wal-mart? My gosh...

RagingHampster
01-11-2003, 21:18
Well I'm going to make the quilt from 1.1oz Uncoated Downproof Breatheable Ripstop Nylon. Also available at Thru-Hiker.com. The baffles will be no-see-um netting (also sold there), and obviously the 800fill down. There is a good example of one in their "Workshop" section. My footbox is going to be roomier, and the blanket portion is going to be longer wider and thicker.

They also sell the 1.1oz Sil-Nylon I need for my rain shell and stuffsacks, and the special seam-sealant that works with sil-nylon.

I need to get some polyester thread next week too. I'm going to practice on some extra nylon before doing the real thing.

I also have the modified "Tapeless" JB Weld Soda Can stove project going tomorrow night too (lol).

Wander Yonder
01-11-2003, 23:20
HH, I'm with you. I LOVE my power tools and dare ANYONE to touch them! :D

I couldn't find a fleece jacket I was happy with. Windstopper fleece is cold, and I bought another one that was too bulky. So I used an old rain jacket with hood for a pattern, and cut a jacket out of the fleece camp blankets that Campmor sells.

It's lightweight (12 oz. with hood), is warmer than any fleece jacket I've bought, and has the comfort factor of a "binky." :)

I am going to make some more silnylon stuff sacks this weekend as well as a large one to use as a pack liner instead of making a pack cover. I have silicon to seal the seams with so everything stays dry.

I am also going to take up the hood in my silnylon rainsuit as it is too big and scrunches over my glasses when I draw down the cords.

The silnylon jacket has pit zips, but I think I may add a small zipper or two to the rain pants for ventilation.

brown bess
01-21-2003, 23:56
I bought MY sewing machine at a thrift store for $5--:)---and it's a beauty!

the reason you use cotton wrapped polyester thread, rather than all polyester, is that the cotton will swell slightly when wet and seal the seams better. makes sense to me anyways. you will want to use a silicone seam sealer on the syl-nylon of course.

i've been playing with sewing tyvek, and it tends to slip, that is the machine has a hard time feeding the material through because it is slick. i would guess this may be the case with the syl-nylon also. you just have to pay attention.

i have to admit i've had alot of fun with my toy--made some stuff sacks, a ground cloth, gun cases, gaiters,working on a tarp,.....it isn't that hard. i don't even hide it any more...it's set up all the time now...in plain view!! yeah, i get a few odd looks at joann fabrics...but i can take it.

brown bess

RagingHampster
01-22-2003, 09:29
Thanks Brown Bess. I'm hoping my sewing machine will be able to feed sil-nylon. Any particular thread you guys use, brands that is.

brown bess
01-22-2003, 11:27
that is the brand i am using--got it at joann fabrics--comes in every color you could possibly want.
i tried some walmart polyester thread once, and my machine didn't like it at all!!! the small difference in price is worth avoiding the hassles.

btw-your machine may have settings for different types of fabrics.

brown bess -10*--good time to work on projects!

Alison
01-27-2003, 10:18
I use Coats and Clark brand, as well.

Dirtyoldman
01-27-2003, 10:47
this stuff does fairly good but I havent tried it on sil nylon yet. its for a serging machine so its on a goofy spool....

yeah I have gotten some pretty funny looks at jo ann fabrics myself. Its nice to know I am not the only guy who goes there:cool:

Sparky!
01-27-2003, 11:29
:-? I have sewn Sil-nylon and made my own stuff sacks, I think the trick I used was that I sewed ssssssssllllllloooooooooowwww and I helped it through the feeder. the stuff sacks came out great and when I put on a thin coat of Sil-net I could pull double duty on the bags as water bags if needed.

I know about the looks that the men have encountered but I have saved a bundle on making my own AND saved weight as well.... A win win ... not to mention that I fully trust the gear I make myself because I care if it is right or not.

:)

Sparky!

RagingHampster
01-27-2003, 13:13
I just got in my 1.1oz Ripstop Nylon for my down blanket. Still waiting for the 800fill down from Feathered Friends, and I need to get a size 9 needle and the synthetic thread. Then I'm going to dive into the blanket construction...

***EDIT***

AHHHH! I just called feathered friends and they haven't even shipped my down yet! They charged my card 2 weeks ago, but forgot to ship it. I'm suprised they offered no discount or apology. Feathered Friends just took a nose-dive in my books as far as customer service is concerned.

RagingHampster
02-23-2003, 05:09
Ok, I have everything I ned for the blanket, and have set up my sewing machine (pain in the @$$ guidebook). I'm going to make some stuffsacks from sil-nylon first as test runs. I'll let you know if I had to go to the hospital! :D :p

***EDIT***

Holy Crap! Making a stuffsack is so easy! I need to get some nylon cord and those fasteners now. Sil-Nylon is a little tough to measure & mark out for sewing though.

I just cut down the material for my bag, and am sewing the baffles in now...

Alison
02-23-2003, 21:32
RagingHampster

It really is surprising how easy it is to sew this stuff, isn't it? If you've got the Jardine book, try making the waterproof bag. Only a couple of extra steps compared to the regular stuff sack and very worthwhile. I made some for my sleeping bag, camera, food bag, clothes bag. And will make a few more: liner for pack, and so on. Worth a try, if this interests you.