PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Early Starters

Boots and Backpacks
03-31-2014, 15:44
My wife and I have been planning this trip for a little over a year now. She is a high school English teacher, and is the first teacher is district history to be granted a leave of absence. This is very good news for us, as someone will have a guaranteed job to return to. I'm a senior buyer for a manufacturing company, and will most likely walk away from this position.

Our anticipated start date is December 31, 2014. No, you didn't read the date wrong! We both have logged plenty of winter backpacking trips, and plenty of miles hiked in snow. We're hooping winter on the trail for use won't be as bad as things were this year. We're expecting and planning for a slow start through the Smoky's, and hopefully a faster pace after that. We've hiked several sections of the trail, and all these sections have been hiked around the end of year.

I guess you could say we're more of your traditional hikers, rather than you're ultra-liters. We'll carry more weight than rest, and most of that will be food. If we're going to be living on the trail for 6-7 months, we're not going to live off noddles every night.

Looking forward to some crisp cold days on the trail!

wtrenda
03-31-2014, 17:08
Welcome! And good luck on your journey. I won't be quite as early as you two; however, I live in Knoxville and wanted to reach out and say that if you get to the Smokies(or anywhere easily driveable for me) and need anything at all, don't hesitate to ask! I am finishing with school in December and will be section hiking a lot in the Smokies and surrounding areas to prepare for my thru hike(starting March 2015), so I will have the time to help out any winter warriors that are within range!

Boots and Backpacks
04-01-2014, 08:59
Welcome! And good luck on your journey. I won't be quite as early as you two; however, I live in Knoxville and wanted to reach out and say that if you get to the Smokies(or anywhere easily driveable for me) and need anything at all, don't hesitate to ask! I am finishing with school in December and will be section hiking a lot in the Smokies and surrounding areas to prepare for my thru hike(starting March 2015), so I will have the time to help out any winter warriors that are within range!

If we get to the Smoky's? We'll make it there if the snow doesn't get us first.

We could possibly go for a little assistance. Things a going to be a little different starting that early in the season. We're still working through all of our details, but we'll be in touch.

wtrenda
04-01-2014, 13:41
I am SO SO sorry! I know y'all can do it...I meant it more as an if you get here and need anything...not a doubt as to whether you will make it here! Hope that makes more sense...

Boots and Backpacks
04-01-2014, 14:17
I am SO SO sorry! I know y'all can do it...I meant it more as an if you get here and need anything...not a doubt as to whether you will make it here! Hope that makes more sense...

I know. I was just kidding around. Although we have been getting the "you are guys are crazy" and "you should really think long and hard about starting then" remarks for some time now. I think we'll more than prepared for the early start. We're just really hoping the winter isn't as bad next year as it was this year.

I've been on a couple other forums and couldn't believe some of the questions that upcoming thru-hikers were asking. Some of the questions made me wonder if these people have even backpacked before. We'll most likely come over prepared, have a lot of weight to carry, but who cares! We'll be the people on the trail that most likely have more crap than everyone else. One of the items we'll both be bring is an REI Flex Lite Chair. Adding an additional 28oz of pure comfort is well worth it's weight in cold.

We will gladly look you up. Our most concerning area around the Smoky's will be Fontana. We'll most likely stay at the resort there for a night, but pretty sure we'll need a lift into town. I can't remember, but I don't think anything will be open that time of the year in the village. Getting a resupply here would mean that we could make it to Standing Bear before our next resupply.

wtrenda
04-01-2014, 14:26
I think if y'all are prepared and understand what CAN and MIGHT happen, you'll be fine. Early starts aren't for the faint of heart but they are usually for those who are motivated.

I don't know what exactly will be open in the Fontana area but it's not a bad drive if y'all need a lift into a town. Consider a resupply at newfound gap since you will already be carrying a pretty big load. Like I said, I'm in the area and have access to stores in Knoxville and around. If you send me a list, I am more than willing to meet at newfound with some resupply things or to take y'all into town to resupply. Just a suggestion, especially because I'll be stir crazy come that time of year with my departure date so close...I'd love to hear some trail stories from that early in the season!

+1 on the chair. I thought about a chair but I'm thinking I may go with the thermarest thing that turns your neoair into an upright chair..doesn't weigh much and the comfort may well be worth it.

Boots and Backpacks
04-01-2014, 14:34
+1 on the chair. I thought about a chair but I'm thinking I may go with the thermarest thing that turns your neoair into an upright chair..doesn't weigh much and the comfort may well be worth it.

I wouldn't do that. That was how we started, and it really puts a wear on your pad. Pretty sure I popped mine on the first trip we took. Having hiked the Smoky's before, and in snow the entire time. We know just how hard Fontana to Newfound Gap can be. By chance if there isn't any snow, we should be able to get there in 3-4 days, and to Standing Bear 2-3 days after that. We'll be in touch as time gets closer.

wtrenda
04-01-2014, 14:35
that's good to know. i'll look around for something that doesn't come with that risk. thanks for the info!

Boots and Backpacks
11-11-2014, 13:34
We're hitting the trail in 49 days. Got all of our gear in order, plenty of warm clothing, and tons of good food. Winter hiking has been something that we can't get enough of, and we're hoping this will fix our craving.

Jeff
11-11-2014, 17:06
Aquone Hiker Lodge is north of Franklin, NC and pick up hikers from several different trailheads between Franklin and NOC. Although they do not officially open until late February, I encourage you to call in advance and see if they can host you in January. If the weather gets brutal in that area it is good to have options.

http://www.aquonecabins.com/at.html

Boots and Backpacks
11-12-2014, 11:51
Aquone Hiker Lodge is north of Franklin, NC and pick up hikers from several different trailheads between Franklin and NOC. Although they do not officially open until late February, I encourage you to call in advance and see if they can host you in January. If the weather gets brutal in that area it is good to have options.

http://www.aquonecabins.com/at.html

That's good to know. We know most places are going to be closed when we're out, but we'll have to suck it up and pay for hotels during that time. The Budget Inn is open, and they told me that we could get picked if as well. I'll reach out to Aquone though.

Jeff
11-12-2014, 12:56
Steve who owns Aquone is a former thruhiker. He has lots of useful information and encouragement.

Nonfiction
11-13-2014, 07:10
Go get em' guys! My wife & I are right behind you...... just not until March.

Boots and Backpacks
11-13-2014, 15:11
Go get em' guys! My wife & I are right behind you...... just not until March.

Best of luck to you both! We'll be on the trail in exactly 47 days.

Bags4266
11-13-2014, 15:44
Aquone hostel was one of the finest, cleanest, newest hostel I've ever stayed in. Must stop. They ala cart you to death but that's your choice.

hikehunter
11-14-2014, 01:40
I start 30 Feb.2015. You will be a good month ahead...It would be nice to meet on the trail....however, I will not count on it....as people get strung out and come&go on the trail like crazy......

Goo
11-14-2014, 06:40
i'm sure you've already thought of this, especially if you've been in the smokies in winter weather before, but just in case... it is worth considering microspikes or something comparable to give you some extra traction on ice. i scoffed at the idea of carrying them last year until i got over clingmans and saw the ice covered trail i was about to hike/slide down to newfound gap. im not sure of the details, but i heard about a guy in the same bubble as us slipping, falling, and ending up with a trip to the hospital. all due to ice in the smokies. the north side of roan mountain was in similar condition when i got it. this was all in early march. that said, enjoy your hike!

Boots and Backpacks
11-14-2014, 09:16
I start 30 Feb.2015. You will be a good month ahead...It would be nice to meet on the trail....however, I will not count on it....as people get strung out and come&go on the trail like crazy......

We won't be going anywhere except for north. Our paths might cross, but like you said we'll be more than a month ahead.

i'm sure you've already thought of this, especially if you've been in the smokies in winter weather before, but just in case... it is worth considering microspikes or something comparable to give you some extra traction on ice. i scoffed at the idea of carrying them last year until i got over clingmans and saw the ice covered trail i was about to hike/slide down to newfound gap. im not sure of the details, but i heard about a guy in the same bubble as us slipping, falling, and ending up with a trip to the hospital. all due to ice in the smokies. the north side of roan mountain was in similar condition when i got it. this was all in early march. that said, enjoy your hike!

We've already hiked the Smoky's section earlier since our dog will be accompanying us this time around. Hiking in the winter on the AT is nothing new for us. We head out for at least a week every year around New Years. We're going to skip the Smoky's section of the trail since we'll have our dog with us. None the less, we've already got the MICROspikes, and they'll be coming with us at the start.

takethisbread
11-15-2014, 15:32
U couldn't pay me to freeze my butt off for 6 months.
But..

I always say "hike your own hike". Unless, of course, your hike plan isn't the same as mine, then I will judge the crap out of your hike ! :)

Dogwood
11-15-2014, 21:35
.... We're expecting and planning for a slow start through the smoky's, and hopefully a faster pace after that....

then,

.....we're going to skip the smoky's section of the trail since we'll have our dog with us....

??????????????????

Veeyayhoh
11-16-2014, 19:11
Are you planning a through hike? I am planning a flip-flop starting in Atkins, Va around the middle of March. Hiking through to Katahdin returning by public transportation (probably Greyhound) and finishing SOBO from Atkins again.

Tabasco Hikes
11-16-2014, 19:59
Hey Boots! I am leaving Springer on 01/09/15. You'll have a bit of a jump on me, but maybe we'll link up on the trail. I am hopeful that I'll meet someone to hike with. There's safety in numbers, especially on a challenging winter hike. :)

Did you say that you were skipping the Smokies?

Best wishes!

Tabasco

Tabasco Hikes
11-16-2014, 20:15

Ignore this comment. I just read your Blog. Hope you and the pooch have a good hike!

shelb
11-17-2014, 00:55
She is a high school English teacher, and is the first teacher is district history to be granted a leave of absence.

That is SO cool! I, too, am a high school English teacher. In fact, it was my teaching and a friend who inspired me to begin hiking the trail. Between teaching about Emerson and Thoreau, in conjunction with watching "Into the Wild," and my friend's motivation, I have fallen in love with the AT. Unfortunately, I can only complete it a section at a time...

Good luck to you!!! Enjoy your walk Into the Wild!

Boots and Backpacks
11-17-2014, 09:25
then,

??????????????????

I'm going to assume you're asking a question about why we're skipping the Smoky's? You can't have a dog on the trail in National Parks. We're hiked the entire AT through the Smoky's a couple times, and in the winter too. We could have border her with Standing Bear, but that would have cost around $300.

Are you planning a through hike? I am planning a flip-flop starting in Atkins, Va around the middle of March. Hiking through to Katahdin returning by public transportation (probably Greyhound) and finishing SOBO from Atkins again.

We'll be NOBO the entire time. Should put us around a Mid-June finish date. Picking a time to finish isn't a priority since we have until Mid-August to get home. We're going to take side trips to see friends, and take our time.

Hey Boots! I am leaving Springer on 01/09/15. You'll have a bit of a jump on me, but maybe we'll link up on the trail. I am hopeful that I'll meet someone to hike with. There's safety in numbers, especially on a challenging winter hike. :)

Best wishes!

Tabasco

My wife and I will be there starting on the 12/30, and you might be able to catch up to us. We plan on shelter hopping most of the way to Hot Springs. We'll make sure to leave our status in the shelter log books so you can gauge where we are.

That is SO cool! I, too, am a high school English teacher. In fact, it was my teaching and a friend who inspired me to begin hiking the trail. Between teaching about Emerson and Thoreau, in conjunction with watching "Into the Wild," and my friend's motivation, I have fallen in love with the AT. Unfortunately, I can only complete it a section at a time...

Good luck to you!!! Enjoy your walk Into the Wild!

We got started on the AT by section hiking. For the past 7 years we've been hiking around a 40-70 mile section from Christmas through New Years. It seems like all of our time on the AT has been during the winter.

Scruffs

squeezebox
11-17-2014, 09:29
At first the chair sounds kinda too much to bring until you think about the shortened daylight in winter. You'll be spending a lot of time in camp.
I hope you are planning on doing a trail journal.
Where in Missouri do you live?

Boots and Backpacks
11-17-2014, 09:41
At first the chair sounds kinda too much to bring until you think about the shortened daylight in winter. You'll be spending a lot of time in camp.
I hope you are planning on doing a trail journal.
Where in Missouri do you live?

We're ditching the chair. With trying to cut weight, and keep our bulk items to a minimum it's not possible. However, we're bringing a couple hammocks instead. Both of the hammocks weigh right around 19oz together. We'll save some weight, and they pack down to nothing. I've looked into Trail Journal, but I'm not sure if we'll be using it. I know my wife will have her own, and our blog will get updated as much as possible. We'll most likely be hiking through all the daylight hours, and maybe some after the sun goes down or before it comes up.

We're just west of St. Louis in Pacific.

KimmyWasHere
11-17-2014, 11:06
Good luck to both of you & happy trails! :)

Boots and Backpacks
11-20-2014, 14:38
Good luck to both of you & happy trails! :)

Thank you!

apple_muncy
11-26-2014, 08:49
So no tent?

Good luck to both of you.
I look forward to reading about your experience starting so early :)

Boots and Backpacks
11-26-2014, 11:12
So no tent?

Good luck to both of you.
I look forward to reading about your experience starting so early :)

We have a North Face MICA 2 that we'll bring with us. We'll most likely send it home in April, and switch to our hammocks. I'm looking forward to getting to the trail! With the weather here starting to settle in around freezing during the, and the upper teens at night we're itching to get out. Starting at the time we are takes a certain person, and most can't deal with the constant cold and wind. With us 90% of our backpacking is from December to February. The trails a quiet, no crowds, crisp air, and amazing views.

squeezebox
11-26-2014, 11:43
If you come into town to REI or such let me know, It would be nice to meet you folks, Go for coffee or such. 314-773-8929

Boots and Backpacks
11-26-2014, 12:21
If you come into town to REI or such let me know, It would be nice to meet you folks, Go for coffee or such. 314-773-8929

I think we'll be heading in this weekend to pick up a couple things. Will most likely be Sunday afternoon.

JBandStacy2014
11-29-2014, 21:41
We are starting on December 18th....We look forward to meeting you two out there. We are also a couple.

Boots and Backpacks
12-01-2014, 11:02
We are starting on December 18th....We look forward to meeting you two out there. We are also a couple.

We'll having some catching up to do, but we should cross paths at some point.

Boots and Backpacks
12-01-2014, 14:36
I guess you can say that things have officially started as of today. I quit my job this morning, and my last day of work is the 26th. On the 27th we're heading to Helen GA for a couple nights, and starting on the 30th.

JBandStacy2014
12-01-2014, 15:57
I guess you can say that things have officially started as of today. I quit my job this morning, and my last day of work is the 26th. On the 27th we're heading to Helen GA for a couple nights, and starting on the 30th.

Good for you! JB and I both did the same!

Boots and Backpacks
12-01-2014, 19:17
Good for you! JB and I both did the same!

Now if these next 25 days would hurry up!

JBandStacy2014
12-01-2014, 22:38
Yes, I know the feeling....I am so anxious, I almost wanna leave RIGHT NOW...We are still in Nevada though, so we got a little bit of a drive. Stacy is a little more nervous than I am at this point, but that's because she hasn't researched this thing for the last three years. I am as excited as can be.

JB

Boots and Backpacks
12-02-2014, 10:54
Yes, I know the feeling....I am so anxious, I almost wanna leave RIGHT NOW...We are still in Nevada though, so we got a little bit of a drive. Stacy is a little more nervous than I am at this point, but that's because she hasn't researched this thing for the last three years. I am as excited as can be.

JB

With any luck we'll come together on trail, or get some beers in town!

lemon b
12-02-2014, 11:06
Can feel your excitement and hear ya singing that Willie Nelson song to each other "I Love you cause your crazy like me"

Time frame shows your realistic too.

Boots and Backpacks
12-02-2014, 11:34
Can feel your excitement and hear ya singing that Willie Nelson song to each other "I Love you cause your crazy like me"

Time frame shows your realistic too.

You have to be realistic when leaving that time of the year. We're allowing plenty of time due to shortened days, and even more time in case we need to pull off the trail due to bad weather. Making stupid choices could result in us not finishing the trail, and those choices start with packing.

Boots and Backpacks
12-08-2014, 10:24
I'm pretty bummed about the weight carrying issue at this point. I prepacked last night just to see where I was, and I though I knew what to expect. I was hoping when it was all said and done to be around the 35lbs mark with food and water. At this point I'm going to be closer to the 38lbs mark. My wife's pack is going to be around 28-30lbs after she adds a couple more things.

I keep telling myself that 35-38lbs isn't a bad weight for starting in the winter, and for bringing my dog. However I'm pretty hung up on it, but I know there's nothing I can do. When I start looking at it I can figure out where some of the weight is coming from. We have 60oz in dog gear to help Landshark (her trail name) along the way. She's a very small dog, and she has a full sponsorship from Ruffwear. I know all of her gear will be sent home after a couple months when the weather turns.

From the bottom up:

North Face MICA 2- 55oz w/6 stakes
Food- 176oz (6 days/2 people)- could be less, but figuring for worse case
Hammocks- 52oz- (the wife insists on bringing these in case we need to hangout at a shelter because of bad weather)
40 Below Booties- 10oz
MSR Dromedary Bag- 6oz
BA Stuff Sack- 1.5oz
BA Insulated Air Core- 44oz (2 pads)
PowerPot V- 16oz (will send home if we don't use the charging feature)(swap out for old cookset 8oz)
Pocket Rocket- 4oz
OR Gaiters- 6.8oz
Katadyn Hiker Pro- 11oz (w/insulator 14oz total)
Dog Gear- 60oz
First Aid- ?
OR Versaliner Glove- 5.6oz (2 pair)
Black Rock Gear Down Hat- 1oz
Water Bottle w/insulator- 10oz (debating on not using the insulator)
Pack Cover- 5oz
Patagonia Shell- 12.5oz
Rain Pants- 11.5oz
Charging Stuff- 8oz
Random- 6oz
Pack- 57oz

I see a couple things that I know we could do without, but I think we'll stick with it for the beginning. I know a lot depends on the weather, and how cold it gets. If the weather stays pretty mild like it's been lately we'll start sending stuff home. All in all, carrying 35lbs is still better than sitting in a chair working. I keep telling myself just wait until Mid March comes around when we can start getting rid of our winter gear. Carrying winter gear is a pain, but I don't want to be cold and miserable.

Our gear carrying methods might a bit strange, but it works. My wife is carrying everything that is needed when we get to camp, and her pack comes in at 28lbs right now. Once the weather turns she'll be able to send home our down pants (-27oz for both), swap our sleeping bags (-61oz), and some others.

mattjv89
12-08-2014, 11:59
Ditching those hammocks looks like the easiest way to lose a lot of weight for no $$, it's been said that the cheapest pound to save is the one you leave behind. That'll bring you down to about 35 which is a pretty reasonable winter weight especially given the dog stuff you have. You are carrying sleeping bags and pads to be comfortable with if you need to hunker down in a shelter, hauling over 3 lbs. on your back as a just in case comfort while you also have a tent seems like a lot of extra. Obviously I don't know either of you but it seems like a way to harbor sour feelings right from the get go with you hoofing several pounds extra that she insisted come along. What does her pack look like? maybe there is some easy weight loss there too.

Slo-go'en
12-08-2014, 12:22
Agreed, get rid of the hammocks, they will be useless for the next several months. The power pot is likely of little use. You need to keep the water boiling for hours and hours to get any kind of charge out of it. I'd also ditch the water filter. No need to filter water in GA/NC. The filter will just freeze up and become dead weight. Winter is the only time Nalgine bottles with insulated sleeves are worth the weight. Hope you have at least two full sets of clothes.

Don't worry, winter will kick in big time around early January while your in N.C. and will be with you for then next 3 months. It went down to -7 here in the Whites last night and we normally don't get that cold until the end of January. Expect a major storm every 7 to 10 days.

Boots and Backpacks
12-08-2014, 12:24
Her's is right around 28-30lbs. She's packing the following:

Sleeping Bag x2
Pillow x2
Down Booties
Socks x8 (1 pair per day for each of us)( we'll lessen these when the weather is warmer)
Base Layer Bottom x2
Base Layer Top x2
Down Pants x2
Wool Sweater x2
Jacket x2

There are other items, but I'm not exactly sure on her details. We've been through the list, and pretty sure we've cut out just about everything besides the hammocks that we don't think we'll need. We each have clothing to hike in, and dry clothing for camp. We each have a light weight base layer top and bottom for hiking. Along with our hiking pants, and rain gear. In camp we each have a mid weight base layer bottom and top. We also have wool sweaters, jackets, waterproof down booties, rain gear if it really cold. I don't think we're over packing for clothing, but winter clothing is bulky!

A lot of her weight is coming from the zero degree bags (121.48oz), wool sweaters (28oz), jackets (36oz), and the pack (will call it 80oz). Those 7 items weigh in at 266oz or 16.625lbs. When March comes around she'll most likely switch to her Hyperlite Mountain Gear pack, and send home the jackets or sweaters. At that time she'll be down to 120oz or 7.5lbs for the sleeping bags (60oz), wool sweaters (28oz), and pack (32oz). It's going to be a first couple months that are going to be rough. Carrying that weight up front will get us used to carrying the load, and will make dropping 10-12lbs sound exciting.

Boots and Backpacks
12-08-2014, 12:33
Agreed, get rid of the hammocks, they will be useless for the next several months. The power pot is likely of little use. You need to keep the water boiling for hours and hours to get any kind of charge out of it. I'd also ditch the water filter. No need to filter water in GA/NC. The filter will just freeze up and become dead weight. Winter is the only time Nalgine bottles with insulated sleeves are worth the weight. Hope you have at least two full sets of clothes.

Don't worry, winter will kick in big time around early January while your in N.C. and will be with you for then next 3 months. It went down to -7 here in the Whites last night and we normally don't get that cold until the end of January. Expect a major storm every 7 to 10 days.

The PowerPot does charge a bit slow, and is a bit heavy. We'll find out right away is we're going to need it or not. I don't think we will since we'll have a good power pack or 2 with us. I've already been thinking about ditching it due to the weight.

I also feel that it's kind of important to have a water filter. I don't want to rely purely on iodine drops or boiling water. The insulator I have for the filter does keep it from freezing up to around 0*. What would you suggest beside a filter or iodine drops? Maybe a SteriPEN?

We will have a set of clothing to hike, and a set of clothing for camp that'll be in a dry bag. We're going to make sure that we ALWAYS have dry clothing for camp.

dudeijuststarted
12-08-2014, 14:53
Sounds like you guys have a solid plan, I'm envious!

Hiking the Smokies in late winter / early spring can really suck.

JBandStacy2014
12-08-2014, 23:31
We are officially in the area...We just arrived from Vegas to Chattanooga tonight. We are going to the approach trail in the morning!!!!

Boots and Backpacks
12-08-2014, 23:50
We are officially in the area...We just arrived from Vegas to Chattanooga tonight. We are going to the approach trail in the morning!!!!

What happened to the 18th? You guys are going to have over 20 lead on us.

JBandStacy2014
12-09-2014, 01:54
We will be starting slow...We are brand new to hiking...Our first month, I am planning to only hike around an average of 6 miles per day....Plus, we are going to celebrate Christmas in Franklin and New Years at Fontana. We will be taking a few days off. Something tells me that you WILL catch up....

Boots and Backpacks
12-09-2014, 09:31
We will be starting slow...We are brand new to hiking...Our first month, I am planning to only hike around an average of 6 miles per day....Plus, we are going to celebrate Christmas in Franklin and New Years at Fontana. We will be taking a few days off. Something tells me that you WILL catch up....

I bet we start off a bit slow for the first couple days. I can see us getting to Hiawassee to make our first stop, get a food drop in Franklin (maybe stay the night), stay at the NOC on the Nantahala, and then get our shuttle at Fontana. I'm hoping to make it to Fontana in 15-18 days. We'll be stopping in Hot Springs for at least 2 nights, but might make it 3 nights.

We'll be following how you guys are doing in the shelter log books. So remember to post in them when they're available. Remember to stay motivated, and don't lose sight of the big picture. Long distance hiking is 70% mental, 20% physical, and 10% luck. Best of luck to you both, and hopefully our we'll meet up at some point.

Don H
12-09-2014, 09:49
Her's is right around 28-30lbs. She's packing the following:

Sleeping Bag x2
Pillow x2
Down Booties
Socks x8 (1 pair per day for each of us)( we'll lessen these when the weather is warmer)
Base Layer Bottom x2
Base Layer Top x2
Down Pants x2
Wool Sweater x2
Jacket x2

Am I reading this right? Is one of you carrying both sleeping bags and cold weather clothes for both of you?

Grampie
12-09-2014, 10:45
Your trip will be interesting to follow. Are you posting a journal on line? Happy trails.

Boots and Backpacks
12-09-2014, 11:09
Am I reading this right? Is one of you carrying both sleeping bags and cold weather clothes for both of you?

Yep, and the other is carrying all the gear and food. It's the best way to distribute the weight, and the best for packability. We could each carry our own stuff, and split the food down the middle. If we did it this way we'd be carrying more weight due to needing extra food bags, and dry bags/liners for clothing.

The most practical way for us to carry the weight is how we're doing it. We've been packing like this for several years, and it works out great. It doesn't matter which way we pack leaving this time of the year.

Boots and Backpacks
12-09-2014, 11:10
Your trip will be interesting to follow. Are you posting a journal on line? Happy trails.

Our blog is in our signature. I'm trying to get the hang of Trail Journals as well, and might use that too.

Trail Journal- Boots and Backpacks (http://www.trailjournals.com/BootsandBackpacks/)

bamboo bob
12-09-2014, 11:30
Do you guys have an online journal. It would be fun to follow along. You'll have a great adventure. good luck.

hikingshoes
12-09-2014, 12:13
Good luck to all the snow bird thru- hikers!! lol I think I'll stick with my April start date.HS

Boots and Backpacks
12-09-2014, 13:10
Good luck to all the snow bird thru- hikers!! lol I think I'll stick with my April start date.HS

Our blog is in our signature. I'm trying to get the hang of Trail Journals as well, and might use that too.

Trail Journal- Boots and Backpacks (http://www.trailjournals.com/BootsandBackpacks/)

Connie
12-09-2014, 17:04
"Water Bottle w/insulator- 10oz (debating on not using the insulator)"

I used an insulator on the tubing and mouthpiece for a drinking tube type water bladder: it helped.

Keeping water next to the warmth of my back is good, if your backpack rests against your back.

Keeping water in smaller containers I found is easier to keep warm with me during the night.

I had a look at your trail journal: a "leaker" sleeping bag is justification for refund or exchange manufacturers will, in my experience, accept.

Boots and Backpacks
12-09-2014, 20:42
I had a look at your trail journal: a "leaker" sleeping bag is justification for refund or exchange manufacturers will, in my experience, accept.

Big Agnes does stand behind their products. We're warrantied our pads 4 times this year alone due to them leaking. I'm great that they're standing behind them, but I getting a little tired of these only lasting a few nights.

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-09-2014, 22:59
http://youtu.be/dUoZcRenvZI

Top of Georgia Hostel and Hiking Center is OPEN YEAR ROUND except for Christmas and New Years. www.TopOfGeorgiaHostel.com (http://www.TopOfGeorgiaHostel.com) 706-982-3252

Slo-go'en
12-09-2014, 23:37
Big Agnes does stand behind their products. We're warrantied our pads 4 times this year alone due to them leaking. I'm great that they're standing behind them, but I getting a little tired of these only lasting a few nights.

Maybe the problem isn't with the pad but how your using them? Having 4 pads go bad after just a few nights of use does seem a bit out of the ordinary.

Boots and Backpacks
12-10-2014, 09:51
Maybe the problem isn't with the pad but how your using them? Having 4 pads go bad after just a few nights of use does seem a bit out of the ordinary.

We never had any issues with the old purple style. Once they switched to the new blue material is when the issues started. Plus, I've always asked what was wrong with the pads, and what I'm doing wrong that cold cause this. Each time they tell me that it's been a factory defect where the seam hasn't been properly sealed. The only thing that I can think of that changes in what we do has been the use of their stuff sac pump. Besides that we always clear any sticks, rocks, or objects that'll poke through the tent. I always air them up in the tent so they're not touching the ground where they could get punctured by something. When sleeping with them in shelters we've always put down our footprint for added protection.

Don H
12-10-2014, 09:52
Yep, and the other is carrying all the gear and food. It's the best way to distribute the weight, and the best for packability. We could each carry our own stuff, and split the food down the middle. If we did it this way we'd be carrying more weight due to needing extra food bags, and dry bags/liners for clothing.

The most practical way for us to carry the weight is how we're doing it. We've been packing like this for several years, and it works out great. It doesn't matter which way we pack leaving this time of the year.

I would really think about this. I know you're hiking together but there are several scenarios where I could see where you could be separated from each or have one of your packs separated from you.

Packs get stolen
Packs go in the creek and get soaked
Emergencies happen that requires one of you to stay behind while the other gets help
Bears walk off with your pack (saw this happen in SNP, luckily we recovered it but some gear was damaged)

You say you've always done it this way but have you ever hiked together for 6 months? If you've done the AT, PCT, CDT or some other long trail then please disregard.

Of course as always, HYOH and Good luck!

Slo-go'en
12-10-2014, 11:17
Maybe your over inflating them then? In any event if I had 4 pads go bad, I'd switch brands! That's something you don't want to fail on the trail this time of year!

We never had any issues with the old purple style. Once they switched to the new blue material is when the issues started. Plus, I've always asked what was wrong with the pads, and what I'm doing wrong that cold cause this. Each time they tell me that it's been a factory defect where the seam hasn't been properly sealed.

Boots and Backpacks
12-10-2014, 15:29
I would really think about this. I know you're hiking together but there are several scenarios where I could see where you could be separated from each or have one of your packs separated from you.

Packs get stolen
Packs go in the creek and get soaked
Emergencies happen that requires one of you to stay behind while the other gets help
Bears walk off with your pack (saw this happen in SNP, luckily we recovered it but some gear was damaged)

You say you've always done it this way but have you ever hiked together for 6 months? If you've done the AT, PCT, CDT or some other long trail then please disregard.

Of course as always, HYOH and Good luck!

Nothing is going to change on how we carry. We're not going to separate on the trail, and even if we do hike separate we'll still be sleeping at the same place. I don't plan on letting my wife spend a night without me, and it goes the other way too. If her pack goes in the creek it'll fine since she has CF pack and everything in waterproof sacks. Another words, it's not going to get wet. I know an emergencies can happen, but if that's the case then packs can be repacked. Bears can walk off with packs, but if that happens we'll still have all of our camp clothes.

The longest we've been out together has been 37 days on the Colorado Trail. While it was hiking, we did spend about 10 months in the vehicle driving the Pan American Highway from Missouri. The time being together isn't going to be the problem. The problem is going to be not getting hurt or sick. There's a reason for me carrying the heavier pack, and all the heavy gear. My wife has 2 steel rods in her back from scoliosis surgery that she had when she was 7.

We've been planning this for several years, and have tried many different ways to pack/carry our gear. Everything comes back to how we're doing it now.

Don H
12-10-2014, 17:58
I consider a sleeping bag a piece of survival equipment and would not do an overnight hike without mine on my back. Your greatest danger is hypothermia and the conditions can exist for that any month of the year on the AT. This is why I was never comfortable with slack packing. If something happens and you don't have your survival gear (sleeping bag, rain gear) you are screwed. Simple as that.

Boots and Backpacks
12-10-2014, 20:06
I consider a sleeping bag a piece of survival equipment and would not do an overnight hike without mine on my back. Your greatest danger is hypothermia and the conditions can exist for that any month of the year on the AT. This is why I was never comfortable with slack packing. If something happens and you don't have your survival gear (sleeping bag, rain gear) you are screwed. Simple as that.

OK guys. The way we're packing is the way it's going to be! If you're going to complain about the way we choice to pack that's fine, but please keep it to yourself. I understand the concern, and I appreciate the support. However, we're plenty experienced and have been packing this way for years. As I mentioned earlier, we pack this way for a very important reason. For those of you that have scoliosis you understand. For those of you that don't, yo umight not understand the cautions we need to take. Things can change along the way, and packs can be repacked at any point in time. We're NOT going to separate on the trail, and that's final!

squeezebox
12-10-2014, 20:13
I take it you've the right pack for her. Scoliosis can certainly be troublesome at times.

Boots and Backpacks
12-10-2014, 21:00
I take it you've the right pack for her. Scoliosis can certainly be troublesome at times.

Tried and true Kelty pack that she's been using for a couple years. We've tried other, lighter packs like Granite Gear that only caused problems. She has a Hyperlight Mountain Gear pack that is very comfortable, but she'll have to wait until warmer weather for that one. The pack that she is going to start is fitted for her uneven shoulders, and carry the load very well. She's going to have issues no matter what, and she's going into it knowing that. It's just part of life, and something that we deal everyday in some way.

Don H
12-10-2014, 21:42
You doing an online journal?

Boots and Backpacks
12-10-2014, 22:18
You doing an online journal?

I did start a Trail Journals that I'll use. We also have a blog which is in our signature, and I'll be sure to post up on this thread. From out blog you can access our Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube accounts.

Connie
12-11-2014, 09:27
What model Hyperlight Mountain Gear?

Boots and Backpacks
12-11-2014, 10:21
What model Hyperlight Mountain Gear?

Windrider 3400 (http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/ultralight-packs/3400-series-ultralight-packs/3400-windrider.html)

It's a very comfortable pack, and carries 25lbs very well.

Connie
12-11-2014, 12:30
I had the beginnings of a scoliosis, after a car wreck.

Numerous treatments later, a clam-shell backbrace did the trick. It is called a Raney jacket, I heard it was named after Dr. Raney. Custom Orthopedic, Divisidero St. San Francisco, CA makes it either with buckles or velcro. I never had to wear it as much as a month at a time. In fact, lying down on the back portion, often was enough for relief from back pain.

I also have Good Feet MAX inside hiking shoes for metatarsal support, and, especially, heel strike (preventing sciatic pain).

Boots and Backpacks
12-11-2014, 14:13
I had the beginnings of a scoliosis, after a car wreck.

Numerous treatments later, a clam-shell backbrace did the trick. It is called a Raney jacket, I heard it was named after Dr. Raney. Custom Orthopedic, Divisidero St. San Francisco, CA makes it either with buckles or velcro. I never had to wear it as much as a month at a time. In fact, lying down on the back portion, often was enough for relief from back pain.

I also have Good Feet MAX inside hiking shoes for metatarsal support, and, especially, heel strike (preventing sciatic pain).

At the time for here that wasn't even available. It was either have the surgery, or be put in a body cast. She was one of first people in St. Louis to opt for the surgery. Had she known the long term effects then she might not have gone that route. That's the say the cast would even have worked for her though. There are good days, and there are bad days. She's a trooper though, and can withstand quite a bit.

Speakeasy TN
12-14-2014, 10:42
Let us know where you are. Definitely close enough for Trail Magic.....

JBandStacy2014
12-14-2014, 18:52
It's cold out here!! We're waiting on ya! ;)

Boots and Backpacks
12-14-2014, 19:48
It's cold out here!! We're waiting on ya! ;)

Still waiting...but soon we'll be there. We're trying to figure out our first stop at this point. Thinking about stopping at Suches, but we'd like to be able to make it to Hiawassee first. Who knows, we have nothing but time.

Boots and Backpacks
12-15-2014, 14:55
Let us know where you are. Definitely close enough for Trail Magic.....

Stay tuned here. I'll be sure to post an update from time to time.

squeezebox
12-15-2014, 15:54
JB &Stacy Are you on trail journals?

Boots and Backpacks
12-15-2014, 16:07
JB &Stacy Are you on trail journals?

They are.

Link (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=17875)

JBandStacy2014
12-15-2014, 19:04
Yes, we are....Boots and Backpacks posted the link....Thank you!

JBandStacy2014
12-15-2014, 19:07
Boots and Backpacks.....

We are packing the same way...she carries food and clothes, and i carry everything else.

Tear Drop

Boots and Backpacks
12-17-2014, 10:54
I think we're just about ready to leave next week. We're going to be doing some drop boxes along the way just so we can change up the food a little. We'll also have our dogs food sent out to us to around every other town. For those of you that want to bring you dog, and have question or concerns for feel to ask. We'll be feeding ours a mixed of our food, and TurboPUP bars. I'll try to get a couple pictures posted of the mess we're dealing with, but an organized mess.

Slo-go'en
12-26-2014, 16:00
It seems JB+ Stacy didn't make it far due to injury early on. Their now in Asheville looking for work. "We didn't expect to be in these hotels this long, have an injury, nor have to upgrade gear."

Another guy called "Waddle" started Dec 4th and was trying to hike from PA south to Springer. He only made it 70 miles before quitting.

And so it goes...

Boots and Backpacks
12-26-2014, 22:13
It seems JB+ Stacy didn't make it far due to injury early on. Their now in Asheville looking for work. "We didn't expect to be in these hotels this long, have an injury, nor have to upgrade gear."

Another guy called "Waddle" started Dec 4th and was trying to hike from PA south to Springer. He only made it 70 miles before quitting.

And so it goes...

So that means we'll need to be the ones that make it through winter. Not to worry though, we'll be on Katahdin in June. We know what we're getting into, and we know what to expect. I'm not 100% sure other winter thru-hikers know what they're getting into.

JBandStacy2014
12-28-2014, 12:31
For the record, we knew exactly what we was getting into. I just simply carried too much weight, suffered and awkward knee injury, and it messed our trip up. Due to me needing to rest my knee, too much was spent in the interim for us to reach Khatadin NOW while upgrading gear. We are actually heading for the florida trail as soon as i heal completely. It is not a torn meniscus, but still very swollen. We will be back on the AT in March following the Florida Trail. The pack weight was simply too heavy and my knee injury made things worse.

Kiteman
12-28-2014, 14:24
Cold weather makes everything worse. muscle tend to break instead of bend. Try to secure the knee with ellastic bandage. It'll keep it warm & give support to the knee from outside. Nice posting, we like your updates.

JBandStacy2014
12-28-2014, 18:52
Starting the Florida Trail on January 1, 2015...I am gonna test the knee there. Will be back on the AT in March.

Thank you.

takethisbread
12-29-2014, 20:12
Starting the Florida Trail on January 1, 2015...I am gonna test the knee there. Will be back on the AT in March.

Thank you.

Haha! I am doing the FT to rehab my knee that I tore up going over Bluff Mt in Virginia on my thruhike. I was able with the right medications to continue and finish my thru, but I couldn't walk off the meds when I got off trail. I had surgery to repair it and now gonna use the FT to get back in to the swing of things. Good luck out there. I'm hitting the trail jan 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
12-29-2014, 21:45

Thank you.

I was sorry to see yall get off.
Its interesting to see the trail experience thru new hikers eyes, all over again.
For the record the odds were heavily stacked against you going into winter anyway. I think a total of 3 hikers that started in Feb last yr succeeded.
It can truly be conditions that kill, or cause loss of apendages.
Its probably for the best to not be on the trail in Jan and Feb. Especially not in the highest NC/TN mountains.
Cold weather would drive you to town, where you would burn thru money just like yall did in GA.
Some that start in winter run out of money before they get to VA.

Good luck on the Florida Trail. Although IMO the best thing you could probably do for your knee is stay off it totally for about 3 more weeks. And then start rehabbing it slowly.

BTW, the difference between a hiker, and a hobo, is one has a home to go back to. :rolleyes:

Kiteman
12-31-2014, 12:11
JBandStacy2014 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/56109-JBandStacy2014), What about an update?

By the way - I'll be there from 2 february 2015

Kiteman
12-31-2014, 12:24
Just saw the youtube - NICE ;-)
ha ha ha

Boots and Backpacks
01-01-2015, 18:28
31.7 miles down, and at a hostel now. We've had great weather, highs in the low 50's, and lows around 25. We've got some potential for bad rain through tomorrow night. Can't wait to get back out.

Slo-go'en
01-01-2015, 21:03
31.7 miles down, and at a hostel now. We've had great weather, highs in the low 50's, and lows around 25. We've got some potential for bad rain through tomorrow night. Can't wait to get back out.

Looks like the next couple of days are just the precursor with the worst of it moving through Saturday, then look for a significant cool down. Good Luck.

Kiteman
01-02-2015, 02:22
Looks like the next couple of days are just the precursor with the worst of it moving through Saturday, then look for a significant cool down. Good Luck.

Where can you see the weather forcast?

Slo-go'en
01-02-2015, 12:56
Where can you see the weather forcast?

It was on the national TV news (ABC/NBC) since bad weather is news these days. My local TV news weather didn't paint as bad a picture as the national news did for the south, but it's definitely headed my way for Sunday. Looks like another messy storm. Snow, then ice then rain. (for New England)

Boots and Backpacks
01-05-2015, 10:57
We've been lucky enough to have reception from the trail, and have been able to check the weather pretty regularly. We made to Neels Gap on day 3, stayed at the hostel to wait our the rain that never came, and hit the trail the next morning. We were able to get a couple of short days before the rain started up again. We're just up cro. Unicoi now, and heading to Trey Mount today. Cold temps and some snow in the forecast for later in the week. If the grammar is bad I'm sorry. Typing from a phone with fat fingers sucks.

Kiteman
01-05-2015, 15:22
We've been lucky enough to have reception from the trail, and have been able to check the weather pretty regularly. We made to Neels Gap on day 3, stayed at the hostel to wait our the rain that never came, and hit the trail the next morning. We were able to get a couple of short days before the rain started up again. We're just up cro. Unicoi now, and heading to Trey Mount today. Cold temps and some snow in the forecast for later in the week. If the grammar is bad I'm sorry. Typing from a phone with fat fingers sucks.

Do you see/meet other hikers or other people on the trail?
And You can order folding keyboard from the Internet to wait for you on the next post office. It's only 120 gram.
Do you sleep warm? What do you sleep in?

Boots and Backpacks
01-07-2015, 12:34
Been warm enough so far. Last night was the coldest yet, and I bet it was about 15 out. We've been pitching our tent in the shelter most of the nights for extra warmth. We've got insulated pads, and twin zero degree packs that we zip together. Our small dog sleeps with us too, and adds to the warmth. We're is Hiawassee now for a resupply, the night, and maybe a second night. Low tonight in town is going to be 5, and low of 11 tomorrow.

tsommers
01-09-2015, 00:07
Been warm enough so far. Last night was the coldest yet, and I bet it was about 15 out. We've been pitching our tent in the shelter most of the nights for extra warmth. We've got insulated pads, and twin zero degree packs that we zip together. Our small dog sleeps with us too, and adds to the warmth. We're is Hiawassee now for a resupply, the night, and maybe a second night. Low tonight in town is going to be 5, and low of 11 tomorrow.

Stick with it you all got this, ignore the negative folks. Im heading out of springer on March 7th and hiking to Pearisburg,Va then jumping to Salisbury,Ct to finish the homestretch. I hope to see you all out there.

Boots and Backpacks
01-12-2015, 12:15
Just got into Franklin for the night. Most likely heading back out tomorrow.

Pajj
01-12-2015, 12:44
Glad to see y'all are making it out there, mucho respect for heading out when you did. Keep paving the way for us slackers!

Boots and Backpacks
01-12-2015, 14:31
I had someone ask me about weather in a PM. I'll start trying to remember to add some temps for the days we're out.

We got off the trail in Hiawassee on Wednesday the 7th due to cold weather/out of food. Tuesday night is was 18 at Deep Gap Shelter, and 20 at Dicks Creek Gap on Wednesday morning. Leaving from Dicks Creek Gap on Friday morning it was 15. The temps never got above 20 the entire day. That night it had to of reached 8 at Muskrat Shelter. We stopped checking when it said 12 at 7pm. Saturday the highs were in the mid 30s during the day, and about 20 that night. Yesterday it was in the mid to upper 40 during the day, and not much colder that night.

We're heading out in the morning, and hoping to be at Fontana on Sunday. From there we'll shuttle around D the Smokys to Standing Bear.

squeezebox
01-12-2015, 15:47
Sounds like what you're getting there is a couple of days behind what we have here in St. Louis, more or less, Friday it's supposed to hit the low 50's, You can take your clothes off and work on your tans this weekend.

Boots and Backpacks
01-22-2015, 17:43
Got into Hot Springs. Heading out Saturday morning for the 30 mile dash to Devil's Fork. Trying to beat the rain coming in Monday.

Kiteman
01-23-2015, 11:36
Got into Hot Springs. Heading out Saturday morning for the 30 mile dash to Devil's Fork. Trying to beat the rain coming in Monday.

Thank you for giving us updates. and
How do you keep your feet dry when it start raining in the middle of your hike?

Boots and Backpacks
01-23-2015, 11:40
No real trick. Keep moving and ignore them getting wet. We're playing along with the weather now. Only hiking in between rain showers, and avoiding hiking at all on days with all rain. This will all change once the weather warms up for good. We also have some 40 Below over boots it we really need them.

Slo-go'en
01-25-2015, 13:51
Looks like Boots and Backpacks will encounter their first big winter storm today or tomorrow. That should make things interesting for them for the next few days. At least their not in the Smokies. Hoping to get 2 feet up here in the Whites, it's about time we got some significant snow.

double d
01-25-2015, 18:50
Big snow storm coming their way, stay dry, love the updates, keep up the good hiking!!!!

cbg
01-26-2015, 12:00
Boots & Backpacks...Thank you for the updates. Good luck!!!

Boots and Backpacks
01-29-2015, 18:42
Slow progress, but we're still going. We left Hot Springs Saturday morning heading towards Erwin. We hoped to be in Erwin on Friday, but that didn't happen. Instead of our usual 15 miles a day. We were held to only shelter hopping, and that was rough. It took us 5 nights to cover about 33 miles, and that sucks. We're back in Hot Springs for a resupply, and some rest. Another storm coming though tonight, and again on Sunday. We'll get back out to slackpack Big Bald, and then Erwin.

For those wonder about the temps/weather. We had about 12-18" of snow for the last 3 days. Temps were around 18-20 during the day, and 5-8 at night.

Another thing for any NOBO'S coming up. Hemlock Hollow had some damage, and the cafe is NOT open. There is also no resupply right now, but should be I. About a month.

Slo-go'en
01-29-2015, 21:56
Yep, your in the thick of winter now. Keep those toes and fingers safe!

Boots and Backpacks
01-30-2015, 11:53
I think we're getting back out tomorrow. Weather looks pretty decent for the next week or so starting on Monday. Hoping to get into Erwin between Tuesday or Wednesday. We'll see how that goes. From there we should have just enough time to make it into Roan before the next predicted front comes in.

Speakeasy TN
01-30-2015, 15:05
Keep up the smart hiking! All progress is good!

Tipi Walter
01-30-2015, 16:15
I remember keeping a running tab of you guys when I was out on my last trip during the so-called Arctic Blast of January 7-8-9-10 and thought you would bail into a town during the cold snap and maybe you did. It was cold at my spot in the TN mountains at around -4F. I hunkered in and hiked and after 4 days it was over with warmer temps. I was most interested in seeing how much "winter" you guys could take and if you needed to bail to get thru the cold or rain or snow.

Keep trekking! January is usually the coldest month. February is slightly warmer and March can have some serious snows. Think Blizzard of '93---March 12-13.

strogiyogi
01-30-2015, 17:54
You are BRAVE souls! Thank you for sharing your journey with us :). Stay warm out there!!

Boots and Backpacks
01-30-2015, 18:48
Tipi, by chance were you at Siler Bald on the 9th? I could have sworn we crossed paths there, and there were a couple other guys up there. I saw a red pack that looks just like yours.

We're getting back out in the morning, and hoping for Erwin by Tuesday or Wednesday.

1azarus
01-30-2015, 19:40
if it wasn't Tipi it was just some other guy with a ninety pound pack.:) coulda been just about anybody.

Boots and Backpacks
02-01-2015, 17:26
Well be in Erwin either Tuesday or Wednesday. Then over Roan before more snow comes in.

Boots and Backpacks
02-06-2015, 18:05
Just got off the trail at Greasy Creek. Our stove broke as new we left Erwin, and we had one overnighted here. Back on the trail in the in the morning. Tomorrow Roan Shelter, then Over Moutain, and into Moutain Harbour. We've got a great window of weather, and we're going to take advantage of it.

Low last night was 6 degrees.

Fireonwindcsr
02-09-2015, 05:51
Hikehunter, I thought there was 28 days in February :) ..... For those who can master the cold... God bless you. Me, I'd rather sweat than freeze. I'm starting mid March. Safe journey all.

Boots and Backpacks
02-09-2015, 17:29
In Roan Mnt TN for the night. Heading for Hampton tomorrow, and then Damascus.

Slo-go'en
02-09-2015, 17:45
Take your time. There's a massive amount of snow in New England right now and forecasts call for this to keep up into April. That means it's gonna be a really muddy spring and the high elevation trails may not be snow free until June.

cbg
02-10-2015, 16:34
Be careful the East Tennessee experts are calling for snow with the temp taking a noise dive the next few day's

Kiteman
02-14-2015, 08:27
How do you keep your feet and your face warm at night when the temp gets bellow 32 ?
Is there a good gear equipment recomended to use?

Boots and Backpacks
02-14-2015, 21:52
We've been slackpacking for the last couple days just so we don't lose time.

We're getting back on the trail tomorrow, but just for one night. We'll be in Damascus on Monday, and might be looking for some work for stay with the negative temps rolling in.

As far as staying warm goes we bundle up. Nights that are colder than 20 we'll be in a clean pair of hiking socks with our heavy wool socks over them. Usually have on 2 base layer bottoms, and our down pants. We also have down booties from a company called 40 Below. We'll worth the extra 10 oz in weight. We also use mid weight base layer tops, wool sweaters, and our down/fleece jackets. We have insulated pads, and zero degree bags. I pull myself entirely into the sleeping bag, and that includes my head. At time I'll stick my nose or mouth out just to get some fresh air.

One trick to remember is that having to go to the bathroom makes you colder. If you got to go then go, and don't hold it in. There's really no key or hide secret. Proper gear is a must, knowing you limits, and knowing what to do are things to know.

Gray Bear
02-15-2015, 06:52
Great reports! Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated. We're getting more snow here in NH, another 12"+ and still snowing. How much snow is on the ground where you are? are you on snowshoes? Just curious what stove did you have that broke?

The Cleaner
02-15-2015, 08:30
I just got back from another maintenance trip to Jerry's Cabin shelter on Thursday afternoon. The shelter is about 26 miles north of Hot Springs. Only 4 hikers had signed the register since I was there on 1-1-15. No one had signed the register GA-ME yet. Just sayin'.....

Boots and Backpacks
02-15-2015, 08:47
Only a dusting where we are right now. Should be this way until we're in Damascus tomorrow. We talked to another hiker from Damascus who told us Grayson has snow, and ice right now. Plus they're calling for 3-5" in town, and who knows how much on the trail.

We're not using snowshoes, just roughing it. We had an MSR Pocket Rocket that the threads stripped out on. Got a new one already, and MSR is going to warranty the old one.

Boots and Backpacks
02-15-2015, 08:53
We don't sign anything GA-ME in the logs. My wife said she was pretty sure she signed it though. It would have been signed with the following names; Woodstock, Scruffs, and Landshark.

You done a good job cleaning it up, a division we hauled out around 20 small candles, and 1 of the 2 containers of coffee left behind.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t438/mwstudt/AT%20Thru-Hike/IMG_20150129_170309_zpszz28ahbu.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/mwstudt/media/AT%20Thru-Hike/IMG_20150129_170309_zpszz28ahbu.jpg.html)

Trillium
02-15-2015, 10:16
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t438/mwstudt/AT%20Thru-Hike/IMG_20150129_170309_zpszz28ahbu.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/mwstudt/media/AT%20Thru-Hike/IMG_20150129_170309_zpszz28ahbu.jpg.html)
Absolutely gorgeous picture. What an adventure you've undertaken.

Keeping a good thought for your success.

Boots and Backpacks
02-16-2015, 16:54
That has been the prettiest section thus far. Solely due to the snow, crystal clear skies, and fresh tracks! I'll post a link to our Instagram. Way to much work posting picture on here.

Boots and Backpacks
02-16-2015, 16:55
www.instagram.com/bootsandbackpacks

Boots and Backpacks
02-27-2015, 08:38
Tomorrow we're back on trail.

Gray Bear
02-27-2015, 12:56
I've been wondering how you guy are making out. Remember, every storm brings you one storm closer to the last snow storm of the season!

Boots and Backpacks
02-28-2015, 08:08
I've been wondering how you guy are making out. Remember, every storm brings you one storm closer to the last snow storm of the season!
Very true. We'll be on the trail in a couple hours, and should be in Damascus by Monday. Just a quick stop there since we need to get some miles in after a 2 week break.

Gray Bear
02-28-2015, 09:37
I'm envious. Bask in the solitude. It wont be long until the AT becomes a mob scene compared to what you're enjoying now.

squeezebox
02-28-2015, 10:54
Does the snow sometimes cover up the white blazes? Is it harder to keep the trail in the snow? I would think it would be more difficult in snow.

Malto
02-28-2015, 11:07
Does the snow sometimes cover up the white blazes? Is it harder to keep the trail in the snow? I would think it would be more difficult in snow.

Sometimes snow or ice covers branches or even trunks. I have done many hike in N. ga and beyond and didn't have trouble finding the trail. The biggest issue is when the branches collapse the green tunnel. I have had to crawl through some sections like this and it quickly becomes type 2 fun.

Slo-go'en
02-28-2015, 11:56

If a wet snow is blowing in the right direction it can stick to the sides of trees and hide the blazes, but that is rare. The most trouble is finding where the trail goes back into the woods after crossing an open area like a bald, especially if your in an active storm.

Since the trail is generally beaten down into the earth, following a depression in the snow is usually the trail. If your the first one on the trail after a storm, you have to pay a bit more attention to keep track of it then usual. Then next few people to follow have to hope the one leaving foot prints in the snow knew where they were going...

Boots and Backpacks
03-03-2015, 08:45
We had a couple sections were the blazes have been covered. At that point we're looking for cut trees across the trail. Leaving g Damascus today, and heading towards Atkins. Not sure how long it's going to take, but we have 7 days of food.

Boots and Backpacks
03-10-2015, 19:41
In Atkins tonight and tomorrow. Got the Lost Moutain Shelter on day one to see 18 people there. Camped in the rain that night, and stuck around the shelter the following days to dry out. Ended up staying there 3 nights due to sleet the following day. The 3rd night there the temp was t degrees, and I had a popped sleeping pad since night one. The next night was Thomas Knob Shelter for an 11 degree night night. Then onto Old Orchard, Trimpi, and finally Partnership. Temps is the 50's during the day, and warmer nights.

Boots and Backpacks
03-18-2015, 14:11
In Pearisburg VA now, and should be back on the trail Sunday. Great weather for since leaving Atkins. Last night was the coldest night at 33 degrees.

Boots and Backpacks
03-21-2015, 19:38
Hitting the trail in the morning. We're starting something new this section. Starting this we're going to do no less than 15 miles a day. We'll see how that goes.

Slo-go'en
03-21-2015, 21:12
Hitting the trail in the morning. We're starting something new this section. Starting this we're going to do no less than 15 miles a day. We'll see how that goes.

Take your time, it will be awhile before all the snow melts in NH and Maine. You don't want to get here too early. Also the footing on some of those ridge walks north of Pearisburg can be tricky, a lot of it is slanted at a 30 degree angle.

Boots and Backpacks
03-28-2015, 13:54
Take your time, it will be awhile before all the snow melts in NH and Maine. You don't want to get here too early. Also the footing on some of those ridge walks north of Pearisburg can be tricky, a lot of it is slanted at a 30 degree angle.
Just made it to Daleville, and in good weather the entire way from Pearisburg. Hitting the trail in the morning, and heading towards Glasgow. Almost forgot about getting snow yesterday at McAfee.

Boots and Backpacks
04-20-2015, 23:38
We made it to Harpers Ferry today. Went to the ATC office, registered, and we're numbers 9 & 10 for this year's NOBO'S. Getting back out tomorrow since Harpers Ferry is pretty pricey. Plus we got our lighter gear, and we're ready for some 20+ mile days.

Boots and Backpacks
06-09-2015, 08:21
For those that still wonder. We'll be entering the White's on Friday or Saturday.

Boots and Backpacks
07-15-2015, 09:09
For the ones that said we wouldn't make it. That starting when we started was dumb. That the way we packed was all wrong, and so.

Well, everything worked exactly like we planned, and we even finished on the exact date we planned to 4 months ago.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t438/mwstudt/AT%20Thru-Hike/11377832_994314427285827_1906105189_n_zpssvxmfj7f. jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/mwstudt/media/AT%20Thru-Hike/11377832_994314427285827_1906105189_n_zpssvxmfj7f. jpg.html)

Boots and Backpacks
07-15-2015, 09:10
For the ones that said we wouldn't make it. That starting when we started was dumb. That the way we packed was all wrong, and so on.

Well, everything worked exactly like we planned, and we even finished on the exact date we planned to 4 months ago.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t438/mwstudt/AT%20Thru-Hike/11377832_994314427285827_1906105189_n_zpssvxmfj7f. jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/mwstudt/media/AT%20Thru-Hike/11377832_994314427285827_1906105189_n_zpssvxmfj7f. jpg.html)

illabelle
07-15-2015, 09:15
Congratulations, B&B!
Glad you made it. :)

squeezebox
07-15-2015, 12:35
Congratulations!!
it's been in the mid 90s and humid here in St. Louis the past couple of weeks.

KimmyWasHere
07-17-2015, 10:42
I followed you guys on instagram & facebook. Have to say I was rooting for you the entire time. Thank you for sharing your journey & success! <3

WingedMonkey
07-17-2015, 11:38
For the ones that said we wouldn't make it. That starting when we started was dumb. That the way we packed was all wrong, and so on.

So? You skipped GSMNP because they don't allow dogs and yet you snuck it into Baxter?

That's a good lesson for those school children.

Thanks for giving Baxter one more reason to dislike AT hikers.

Boots and Backpacks
07-17-2015, 13:27
So? You skipped GSMNP because they don't allow dogs and yet you snuck it into Baxter?

You're incorrect in your statement. Maybe do some research, and then come back with correct answers. We contacted Baxter Headquarters before entering the park. Actually calling them from Abol Bridge, and talking with them for about 20 minutes. We had permission to bring the dog in with us. We were greeted by the AT Steward John at the park entrance, and he even told us the office let him know about us coming through. They have very strict guidelines in situations like this, and we did everything they asked to the T. After coming down, many park workers actually stopped to talk with us, and even asked how everything went. There was no sneaking, no rule breaking, and nothing done wrong. Thanks for living up to the WhiteBlaze community that bashed us at the beginning, and now the end. Guess things will never change.

A good lesson for those school children would be to not jump to conclusions before you have the facts you need to get an accurate answer. There are legal ways of getting pets into Baxter if you do something very simple called research.

Boots and Backpacks
07-17-2015, 13:27
Congratulations!!
it's been in the mid 90s and humid here in St. Louis the past couple of weeks.

We've been back since Saturday, and the humidity sucks the life out of you.

rickb
07-17-2015, 16:24
Any person with a service animal should not be grilled by ANYONE for 20 minutes. I feel horible that you had to be subjected to that-- even if the interrogation was done with a veil of kindness.

I think you should file an ADA complaint -- not only for yourselves, but also for all the other who travel with a service animal, and as an example for your students. Discrimination of any kind simply should not be tolerated.

Congrats a a successful 4-season hike!

Honuben
07-17-2015, 20:07
Congradulations on your completion. I would have loved to been out there in the winter and then hike again to see the scenery again in the summer. Sorry to hear your negativity about whiteblaze members, guess there are always a few bad apples. Again congrats!

Mykneeshurt
07-18-2015, 16:57
Boots and Backpacks: I plan on attempting a winter thru starting mid-Sept. Would love any advice you can offer from your experience on the AT in the dead of winter. Thanks!

Boots and Backpacks
07-19-2015, 12:27
Boots and Backpacks: I plan on attempting a winter thru starting mid-Sept. Would love any advice you can offer from your experience on the AT in the dead of winter. Thanks!

Are you heading south I hope? Heading north from Spinger in September would be awesome. However, I wouldn't want to heading north that time of the year. If you're heading south you might now even hit much snow depending on how fast you're hiking.

gsingjane
07-19-2015, 18:27
Congratulations on completing your hike - and I'm sorry the reception here wasn't too jolly.

AND a big thanks, again, for giving your remaining water to my son and me on the top of Bear Mountain in NY. That was extremely nice of you!

Jane in CT

TearDrop1776
07-19-2015, 19:09
We've been back since Saturday, and the humidity sucks the life out of you.

CONGRATS GUYS!!! This is Tear Drop aka South Side....I obviously got off trail after two attempts. I knew you guys would make it...We were the only people to start in December! I am proud as hell of you guys!!! I will be back March 1, 2016....Stay in touch guys!!!

Boots and Backpacks
07-20-2015, 08:06
Sorry to hear your negativity about whiteblaze members, guess there are always a few bad apples. Again congrats!

People like that on every site.

Congratulations on completing your hike - and I'm sorry the reception here wasn't too jolly.

AND a big thanks, again, for giving your remaining water to my son and me on the top of Bear Mountain in NY. That was extremely nice of you!

Jane in CT

Hopefully your trip went well. The was the only stretch we encountered where water was lacking.

CONGRATS GUYS!!! This is Tear Drop aka South Side....I obviously got off trail after two attempts. I knew you guys would make it...We were the only people to start in December! I am proud as hell of you guys!!! I will be back March 1, 2016....Stay in touch guys!!!

What happened to you on the second attempt this year?

TearDrop1776
07-21-2015, 10:24
People like that on every site.

Hopefully your trip went well. The was the only stretch we encountered where water was lacking.

What happened to you on the second attempt this year?

Unfortunately, I injured my neck in the blood mountain area by falling twice. This storm that hit in February was nasty. Then had some real life issues and she wanted to leave. We ended up leaving...separating...and I ended up back with my wife. I now live with the wife (that I separated from last August) in Denver, Colorado. Ill be back March 1st.

Boots and Backpacks
07-23-2015, 14:20
Unfortunately, I injured my neck in the blood mountain area by falling twice. This storm that hit in February was nasty. Then had some real life issues and she wanted to leave. We ended up leaving...separating...and I ended up back with my wife. I now live with the wife (that I separated from last August) in Denver, Colorado. Ill be back March 1st.

We had knee deep snow, and some nights were around -14 in the end of February. I think in all we had about 350-400 miles in snow. The snow hit us around Standing Bear, and we were in it until Mt Rogers Visitor Center just north of Greyson Highlands.

tsommers
08-02-2015, 11:59

Wheres your comment on their reply to this now you arrogant *******? And needless to say, **** yes Boots & Backpacks.....congrats. I briefly met you all about halfway up Skyline drive, near the Skyland Resort. Good job on the finish, i bet deep down inside, many on here are jealous of the way/time of year you all got to experience the trail.

Wyoming
08-02-2015, 12:44
Any person with a service animal should not be grilled by ANYONE for 20 minutes. I feel horible that you had to be subjected to that-- even if the interrogation was done with a veil of kindness.

I think you should file an ADA complaint -- not only for yourselves, but also for all the other who travel with a service animal, and as an example for your students. Discrimination of any kind simply should not be tolerated.

Congrats a a successful 4-season hike!

This post is almost as bad as the Winged Monkey post. Baxter did nothing wrong. If you have been paying attention there have been many instances at Baxter of hikers using fake service dog papers to get their dogs in. And then bragging about it in Millinockit later in front of locals about how they lied and fooled Baxter. So Baxter verifying that the hiker has a service dog legitimately is well within their rights. And the OP said nothing about them being rude or their questions unreasonable.

tsommers
08-02-2015, 16:10
This post is almost as bad as the Winged Monkey post. Baxter did nothing wrong. If you have been paying attention there have been many instances at Baxter of hikers using fake service dog papers to get their dogs in. And then bragging about it in Millinockit later in front of locals about how they lied and fooled Baxter. So Baxter verifying that the hiker has a service dog legitimately is well within their rights. And the OP said nothing about them being rude or their questions unreasonable.

Well put. From their statements B&B acted as a positive reps for the thru-hiking community. And it seems Baxter acted as they should have, unlike the recent Jurek debacle. After finishing my hike i was speaking with a ranger about thru hikers and from what he said, big changes are coming to Baxter regarding long distance hikers, both North and South bounders. So any positive encounters between thru hikers and BSP in a good thing.

TearDrop1776
08-05-2015, 11:42
Boots and Backpacks are EXCELLENT people. I commend them for their efforts as I started around the same time and KNOW how difficult it was this year with THAT weather. Hell, us winter hikers had to deal with one of the biggest storms to ever hit the AT...It was horrible. Unfortunately, I did not make it, but they did and it took a LOT for them to make it. They were stronger on the trail and that is to be commended. All these people that are talking **** are ONLY talking **** because they said it "couldn't be done" and they got proven wrong. CONGRATS you two!

Boots and Backpacks
08-06-2015, 12:28

Nothing rude happened, and we weren't upset by anything. I think the person I talked to on the phone honestly had no idea. She put me on hold a couple times, and came back with another question. After finding out what kind of service dog it was, and the reason behind the service dog they were OK with it. They just wanted to make sure everything was legit since they have already had a couple cases of SOBO's sneaking dogs into the park this year.

That's all that was talked about, and no mention of anything in town or to anyone in the park. We were in and out of the park and town so quick that we really didn't even talk to many people.