View Full Version : rain kilt vs pants or rain chaps

schultz104
03-31-2014, 16:43
any thoughts
thanks
eric

Kerosene
03-31-2014, 16:56
A rain kilt gives you loads of breathability with minimal weight as it can be non-breathable. Conversely, it isn't very good as a dual-use windbreak, and the rain will quickly make its way into the tops of your boots if that's a concern.

Rain pants need to be breathable to be at all comfortable wearing about 40 degrees, but that adds weight for a rarely used item. Breathability can be enhanced a bit for a light rain if the pants have a side zips or a front zip.

Chaps are typically not breathable, although there's no reason they couldn't be. Given that most of your body heat will be generated from the crotch area, then these would be great if you're wearing something like a Packa (http://www.thepacka.com) or poncho. You'll likely have to take off your boots to put on each chap, whereas zippered pants or a kilt might be able to fit over your muddy boots.

Another option to consider might be DWR-coated windpants. They are highly breathable, weigh only 2-3 ounces, would keep the first rain out of the tops of your boots, and provide protection in a part-day rain. Recognize that they will eventually 'wet through' given a long & hard enough rain, and stick to your thighs, but the heat you're generated should keep your legs sufficiently warm in all but a 35-degree downpour.

Ercoupe
03-31-2014, 17:36
In Rain I wear long pants/long gaiters , with a heavy duty garbage bag that has a shock cord at the waist. Very effective, provides good ventalation. Very cheap and easily replaced. Use a bag wide enough to not restrict your movements.

bigcranky
03-31-2014, 18:22
Rain pants in cold weather, these are often the only pants I bring. Rain kilt in warm weather, just to keep my shorts from getting soaked through.

Duramax22
03-31-2014, 19:43
i made a kilt out of tyvek. works very well

Demeter
04-05-2014, 09:11
I use a Packa and Gaiters. For Cold wet weather (i.e. snow) I made a thigh-high version of eVent gaiters. With the Packa, I have breathability and 100% coverage from the rain

Shonryu
04-06-2014, 01:18
Cuban rain kilt is all I use. Extremely cold temps I will use a pair of wind pants with DWR coating

leaftye
04-06-2014, 02:03
Rain pants in cold weather, these are often the only pants I bring. Rain kilt in warm weather, just to keep my shorts from getting soaked through.

Especially if there's any wind. Keeping that cold water off your skin is vital.

ChinMusic
04-06-2014, 02:22
Lotta good posts already. I use a Packa with no rain pants in all weather now. I have learned that I do not care if my legs get wet. I carry down pants for camp in winter.

Vthiker77
04-17-2014, 07:18
How about a packa and kilt? Seems like you'd be pretty well covered?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

ChinMusic
04-17-2014, 10:30
How about a packa and kilt? Seems like you'd be pretty well covered?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
The Packa covers almost the same upper leg as a rain kilt. It would just be added protection.

ChuckT
04-17-2014, 11:34
Do you hike with gaiters as well as the Packa?

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

ChinMusic
04-17-2014, 11:55
I find gaiters to be totally unnecessary in general.

ChuckT
04-17-2014, 15:18
I hate wet feet.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

squeezebox
04-17-2014, 18:04
I have a unisex rain skirt. It's not pleated across the back, and it's not plaid. Therefore it's not a kilt.
A real kilt would certainly shed a fair amount of rain, but geez 9 yds. of wet wool, the wt. ??

Demeter
04-17-2014, 20:44
I hike with a kilt, and I find the Packa/kilt combo works best with gaitors. Otherwise the rain runs straight down into my boots if I don't have the gaitors. Moreover, I wear gaitors year round to keep stones and sticks out of my shoes.

Unitic
04-17-2014, 21:57
Love my ULA rain kilt...doubles as a cover for my pack when I hang it from my hammock ridgeline at night. I could wear it in hot weather down pours and not overheat.

bamboo bob
04-17-2014, 22:42
I use a Packa and Gaiters. For Cold wet weather (i.e. snow) I made a thigh-high version of eVent gaiters. With the Packa, I have breathability and 100% coverage from the rain

I tried a Packa one season. How do you pack up in the rain. I could not figure out how to set up my tent in the rain either. In order to get into my pack i had take off the packa and get soaked. I never understood it I think.

BZ853
04-17-2014, 23:49
I don't use anything on my lower half. My shorts dry incredibly fast and I hike in sandles. When it is cold and raining I hike fast and don't hike long.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Demeter
04-20-2014, 10:28
I tried a Packa one season. How do you pack up in the rain. I could not figure out how to set up my tent in the rain either. In order to get into my pack i had take off the packa and get soaked. I never understood it I think.

I admit it took a little wrangling. I set up in a fairly heavy rain last month. I have a hammock, so keep my tarp in my outside mesh pocket (I have an Arc Blast). I also have a piece of Tyvek in an outside pocket. Keeping the packa on, I wiggled out of the pack, then set the pack down and covered with the Tyvek. My pack is waterproof, but I try to keep my straps dry.

I know some tents you can set up the fly first, so you could put that in an outside pocket of your pack, but I guess YMMV. :cool: