PDA

View Full Version : Spot Device Question

SunnyWalker
03-31-2014, 16:51
I used a Spot(Gen 2) device on CDT last year (2013) and enjoyed having it along. This thread is not intended to be a discussion on if you like Spot devices. The intent of this thread is simply to ask others of you who use the Spot Gen 3 device-did you upgrade from a Gen 2 and if so did you find the difference worth the cost of the upgrade? Or if you have only used the Spot Gen 3 device how would you rate the battery life? I am preparing to return to CDT this June(2014) and will take a Spot device (either Gen 2 or a Gen 3) with me and I like how that in the ads they say the battery life of the Gen 3 is significantly better then the Gen 2. Also that it is motion activated. However, since I have the Gen 2 I am not sure if it is worth the extra cost. OK you can see that I am in the middle, ha, ha. Thanks for your input. :)

goin'4ahike
03-31-2014, 17:29
I used a Spot(Gen 2) device on CDT last year (2013) and enjoyed having it along. This thread is not intended to be a discussion on if you like Spot devices. The intent of this thread is simply to ask others of you who use the Spot Gen 3 device-did you upgrade from a Gen 2 and if so did you find the difference worth the cost of the upgrade? Or if you have only used the Spot Gen 3 device how would you rate the battery life? I am preparing to return to CDT this June(2014) and will take a Spot device (either Gen 2 or a Gen 3) with me and I like how that in the ads they say the battery life of the Gen 3 is significantly better then the Gen 2. Also that it is motion activated. However, since I have the Gen 2 I am not sure if it is worth the extra cost. OK you can see that I am in the middle, ha, ha. Thanks for your input. :)

Bumping this. I, too, am interested in SPOT comments and feedback.

Coffee
03-31-2014, 18:41
I rented a Spot 2 last year for the John Muir Trail and just ordered a new Spot 2 from Amazon for $75. With only one exception, all messages sent last year went through. I don't use tracking so the enhancements in the Spot 3 were not interesting to me. Battery life with the Spot 2 is already very good for how I use it (turning it on, sending message, waiting through the 20 minute cycle, turning off). I do two checkins per day. I'm buying the $99 service plan. A good total cost of ownership IMO. I did compare the Spot to the Delorme Inreach SE which is a much more capable device but I could not justify the additional upfront and ongoing costs.

SunnyWalker
03-31-2014, 22:01
Thanks RN, I am in agreement with you that the Spot 2 is a great device. I had great service with it last year. Just wondering about the Gen 3 though as the battery life is supposed to be MUCH better. I'd like that. Hopefully one of or a few of our Whiteblaze readers use the Spot Gen 3 device.

Just Bill
04-01-2014, 13:34
I bought the Gen3, with no Gen2 experience. Also had the opportunity to buy the discounted gen 2 model but opted for the 3 for the improved tracking and better battery life.
I found the device did what it promised and was easy enough to use. Batteries seem to last several weeks if not more depending on use.
I was not impressed by the tracking feature- but I bought it to document speed hikes, so my beef with it in that regard is not that relevant to most users. Despite the 10 min settings it frequently missed tracks, incorrectly ordered them, or tagged them a mile or two off trail. So as far as the "real time" tracking or using it to log a speed hike it is a complimentary device but not a stand alone record of a trip. To be fair- tracking was better in Chicago area compared to the Long Trail. Also worked better on Springer to Hot Springs section. I suspect the terrain and tree cover in northern VT was a big factor.

That said- at least once per hour it did have a 100% accurate track and 90% delivery of OK or other messages. For it's main purpose, it is an excellent device and lower cost option than the inreach for basic ok, tracking, and emergency features I would feel 100% confident in that device.

To the OP- the gen 3 is better, but unless you are burning through more than a set of batteries per resupply it may not be worth it. For a thru- consider what one set of batteries per week costs verses one set per month and the cost to switch may not be that high. I do like AAA vs AA because they are exchangeable with my headlamps and I don't have to carry different types. You don't likely need any of the advanced tracking features- and the motion thing is a bit silly really. You still have to activate tracking every 24 hours, so it's not like you can turn it on and forget it when you go to bed. I ended up turning it off at night and restarting in the AM so that the 24 hours didn't end at the wrong time (learned that the hard way).

SunnyWalker
04-01-2014, 13:53
Good info Just Bill, thanks! Anyone else on Gen 3 SPOT DEVICE?

SunnyWalker
04-03-2014, 12:34
Last call for anyone using a Spot 3 Gen Device for hiking?

SunnyWalker
04-04-2014, 09:27
Well, for better or worse I bought the Spot Gen 3 device. I think if I am going to use a Spot, which I am (on CDT, 2014) this device offers much more then the Gen 2. Most important not having to re-set the tracking each period and also the battery life was really it for me. So, I guess, end of thread!! :)

Coffee
04-04-2014, 10:14
I just signed up for service for my new Spot 2 and got a year of free tracking (normally $50) using the following discount code: PCFTRACKSPOT

I'm not sure if this code is valid for the Spot 3 but you might want to give it a try.

SunnyWalker
04-04-2014, 14:14
Hey, thanks RN! I hope to have my existing service for my Spot 2 applied towards Spot 3. I know I'll have to spend some money though, so thanks RN!