PDA

View Full Version : waterproof or not

schultz104
03-31-2014, 16:54
i have wanted to try boots that are not waterproof, but i have a wide foot. any suggestions on a wide hi top boot without the waterproofing.
is waterproof better on trails in the west?

thanks
eric

Starchild
03-31-2014, 17:20
IDK, but I have found waterproofing is counter productive on the AT, with waterproofing your feet just get wet slower but do get wet and can take days to dry, with breathable shoes your feel get soaked much sooner but they dry out much faster, if a section hiker or where a car awaits each night YMMV.

Malto
03-31-2014, 19:01
In 99% of the conditions, non waterproof. I use waterproof socks to have the best of both worlds.

rafe
03-31-2014, 19:35
What they said. Wear trail runners, light modern footwear. Slog through the mud and puddles. Being light, the boots will dry quickly. Waterproofing (of boots) is a losing battle.

Kerosene
03-31-2014, 19:54
I'd only go with a waterproof-breathable boot for day- or weekend-hiking. You will generally want even more breathable (read, mesh) boots in the drier western U.S.

High-top boots only provide an illusion of additional ankle support. You'd be much better off strengthening your ankles through 10 minutes of daily exercises such as toe-ups, heel walks, one-legged blindfolded balancing, etc.

Drybones
04-01-2014, 07:17
I'd use lightweight waterproof shoes for a week or less hike, any hike longer than that I'd use quick drying trail runners and carry three pair of socks.