PDA

View Full Version : Prior Warning - Just Bonk Me on Da Head

Conductor
03-31-2014, 18:25
OK folks:

I want to get this out so that people know they can just shut me down if I try and tell people how to hike their hike. I'm willing to share my experience, but I'm concerned about coming across too "know it all."

Nobody knows it all. I'm sure this hike is going to be far different than 2006. I'm trying learn from mistakes. I made it, but I made a lot of mistakes. Some I will make again... pretty sure of that. I'd love to share what knowledge about the trail I gained in 2006, so feel free to ask, but I'm really trying not to guide anyone's adventure. The experience you will have, the people you will meet, the fires you watch will become a part of you that will never let go.

This adventure belongs to you. You own it. As for me, the past eight years have seen a growing desire to just be out there again.

Best of luck everyone,

rafe
03-31-2014, 18:34
Nicely said, Conductor. Have a great hike.

wtrenda
03-31-2014, 18:45
I appreciate the heads up... I'm a bit of a gear nerd so I probably will come across the same way a lot of the time. I try to keep it to myself but I make mistakes with my own gear all the time because I'm too stubborn to listen to people like you who have already been there, done that and found an efficient way to do it.

Here's to learning the hard way.

Beccah
04-18-2014, 22:07
I have a question for you. What do you do after the trail? You said the past 8 years have been a growing desire to get out there again... I'm kind of afraid that I'll get to the end, stand on the peak of Katahdin, and the only thought in my head will be "ok, now what?"

Wise Old Owl
04-18-2014, 22:22
Welcome Conductor (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?6694-Conductor).... Interesting post.... Pull up a camp chair to the fire....

Hillbilly Mac
04-19-2014, 09:50
I have a question for you. What do you do after the trail? You said the past 8 years have been a growing desire to get out there again... I'm kind of afraid that I'll get to the end, stand on the peak of Katahdin, and the only thought in my head will be "ok, now what?"

I've thought about the same thing, & luckily (or unluckily) my monthly VA disability checks cover all of my expenses & then some. For me it's go home, go SOBO, or keep going on the IAT. The only bad bit is that the weight of all the pills I'm forced to take is about as much as many people's packs :eek:

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
04-21-2014, 21:30
Beccah,
I've thought the same thing. There is a part of me that wonders if when I make Katahdin if the only thought I will have is that I need to turn around and walk back the way I just came.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbo
04-21-2014, 21:43
I would just say, "I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now."