PDA

View Full Version : Mail Drop at Standing Indian??

TSWisla
03-31-2014, 21:52
Is this a mail drop? Does anyone have more information or an address? It is not listed as one in the 2013 guide.

kayak karl
03-31-2014, 22:22
Is this a mail drop? Does anyone have more information or an address? It is not listed as one in the 2013 guide.
isn't it listed as a Hostel? call Curtis http://www.standingbearfarm.com/

kayak karl
03-31-2014, 22:25
it does say maildrops second paragraph

TSWisla
03-31-2014, 22:46
Hello,

Thank you for the reply, but I was inquiring about Standing Indian, not Standing Bear.

chiefiepoo
03-31-2014, 23:29
It would be a long and somewhat steep walk down into Standing Indian from the trail and back. In 2012 I was arriving at Rock Gap shelter, which is between the SI access trails and US 64, late in the day and heard a horn blow several times. One of the hikers staying at the shelter had some how arranged for UPS to deliver a mail drop to the parking lot at Rock Gap. The Rock Gap parking lot was about 1/10th of a mile from the shelter and they just hustled down to the truck and picked up their package. I guess if you could request a hold for a certain day delivery they might have done their drop that way. When I was at SI campground last fall there was no indication of any concession or camp store that might hold a drop for you. I'd say hike on to US 64 and get a friendly local to take you into Franklin, (there are many) or catch a shuttle. It is an easy hitch in out of Franklin.

Kerosene
04-01-2014, 09:17
There's nothing at Standing Indian other than a small parking lot and the Kimsey Creek Trail which will take you 4 miles down to Standing Indian Campground. I've never heard of the campground taking packages, as there isn't much of an established infrastructure there (the caretaker lives in their personal RV near the entrance). You'd be much better re-supplying at Dicks Creek Gap (maybe one of the hostels near the trail crossing, or the town of Hiawassee) and again in Franklin or a nearby hostel when you reach Winding Stair Gap 3-4 days later.

Slo-go'en
04-01-2014, 09:46
You wouldn't want to go down to Standing Indian CG just for a mail drop anyway. As already noted, the Kimsy creek trail is one heck of a detour down a steap and poorly maintained trail (parts of which were underwater near the bottom when I hiked it). It is however a good short cut if you want to skip 15-20 miles of the AT and go directly to town (which is why I went that way, to avoid some bad weather).

It's not that hard to carry enough food to get from Hiawassee to Franklin.

TSWisla
04-01-2014, 10:42
I am starting at Unicoi, which is where I ended last year, and want to restock somewhere and I thought that I would be 3 or 4 days in at that point. I also planned on getting a shower and doing some laundry there. Is the trail to the campground really that bad?

TSWisla
04-01-2014, 11:14
Just called them and there is no laundry there, general store will not open until May 1....

RED-DOG
04-01-2014, 13:05
In that area the Aquone Hostel would be your best choice.

bigcranky
04-01-2014, 14:18
The little store is really the campground office. Not much selection (though we did enjoy the heck out of their ice cream sandwich selection!) I don't think you can send a maildrop as there is no one really to receive it.

I think the first place to resupply north of Unicoi is going to be US64 into Franklin. (Unless you want to go into Hiawassee from Dick's Creek Gap but that's only a day and half into your hike.)

RED-DOG
04-01-2014, 18:37
Ron Haven will come to Winding Stair Gap and pick you up and take you into Franklin to either his new hostel or one of his motels for the night and for resupply but you have to stay at one of his establishments to get the shuttle, but if you looking for a place to just send a mail drop to and don't want to deal with all that town CRAP, the AQUONE HOSTEL will be your best bet, it's a great place with laundry, and they will come to either Winding Stair Gap or BurnningTown Gap and pick you up and take you to the hostel, great people and great food, Awesome views from the Hostel, just a terrific place to stay. and if you don't want to stay the night they will bring your mail drop to either place and hand it to you right on the trail.:jump

RED-DOG
04-01-2014, 18:54
the AQUONE HOSTEL changed a little bit they don't deliver to the trail any more.

kayak karl
04-01-2014, 20:35
Hello,

Thank you for the reply, but I was inquiring about Standing Indian, not Standing Bear.
Oh. nevermind ;)

The Ace
04-01-2014, 21:50
Just pick up your phone and call the campground and ask them. 828-524-6441. Neither the Kimsey Creek nor Long Branch Trail is a big deal to walk to and from the campground. The trails are clear, marked, and used by people who do the Standing Indian Loop. You can take a hot shower in the campground, too.